Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #301
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
I think WalMart had squash for a pretty good per lb price...maybe 69 cents...? I bought a nice butternut a couple of weeks ago at the Farmers Market---think it was a buck or two---but I've been too lazy to prep it. So that will be part of my food planning for this weekend. We have a 'pumpkin patch' that is set up every year that's not far from my house and they have basically every kind of winter squash you can think of, and some you probably have never heard of! It's right by my surgeons office so I'll be stopping there after my appt next week to see what they have. They are typically a bit more pricey than the farmer's market but cheaper than the stores. You might look around and see if you have something like that around you?

On the pedometer---it's an omron, sorry, I was so tired last night I'm sure I wrote some crazy name! What was really cool about it was she could just put it IN her pocket and walk around and she claims she tested it many times and it was highly accurate. I think it was pretty pricey but probably worth it. I think she got it at Sports Authority or some athletic type of store. As far as the cheapo---where/how are you wearing it? They are very temperamental and need to be worn on fairly 'sturdy' clothing---on the waistband and straight up from mid-thigh on either side. Hooking it on a pocket or off a beltloop or in the middle or too far to the side on the waist band typically won't work. Also wearing them on tight pants or anything that would make your stomach bulge up against it won't work either. We've used them for contests at work several times so a lot of us have tested them out various ways and on various cheaper brands and the way I described above gave the most consistent results for all the ones we tested. HTH

Not sure what I'm going to make this weekend...or what the heck I'm doing food/plan wise, but I need to do something. Yesterday and today involved a lot more mindless munching so it's getting really out of hand. I'm thinking the next few days I need to follow an Optimal Diet kind of approach just to get me back on track. It's not something I would want to do for long, but for a few days lots of fat and a bit of starches sounds pretty good and I think just what I need to get myself grounded again.....so that's my plan for the moment and I'll see how it goes. Would love it if I could lose a few lbs doing it but that would take a bit more than a few days and I suspect I would be in ketosis which spells disaster for me. But right now, just concerned with getting out of the munchie/carby mode and getting my head in the right place.

Well, I managed to avoid taking a nap tonight so I'm hoping I get some decent zzzz's. Last night wasn't too bad---fell asleep around midnight for 3 hours and then again about 4:30 for almost 2 hours....only problem is that meant I didn't get up until after 6am and I'm usually on my way to work about that time! Oh well, don't think anyone missed me too much.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #302
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah, and you know how we were talking about the Friday sales at WF? Well, apparently we don't have that. I went last Friday and no special meat sales at all. Oh well, maybe we will have those eventually. I also haven't seen any 'classes' offered but I suspect they might wait on those until things settle down a bit. I will have to say that I was there twice this past weekend and although it was busy both times it wasn't crazy like it was so I'm thinking they will eventually want to do those things to keep drawing people in...hopefully.

Also--don't know if you decided to get the RetinA or not but if you do---go for the .05. The .1 is seriously harsh!! And that is after using the .1 for well over a month---but I guess that is the difference between the cream and the gel. I love the gel because it is so easy to apply, but I'm not liking the peeling/burning...although that's how you know it works! My surgeons nurse has some of the .05 gel that she is going to give me to try and if it works but isn't so harsh than I'm going to order some of that. In the mean time I'm just using the .1 every 2-3 days and that is working OK. But daily---yikes!!! I will say you can see a definite difference in my face---coloring, smoothness, etc. and it just looks so much healthier, so I guess it's worth a little pain.

Winifred and Cyndy---how are you ladies doing?? Vicki---come out and 'play' with us, I'm getting worried about you.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
I thought I posted yesterday but I don't see my post

WINFIRED....how are you doing? Please update us when you can. Sending you many good thoughts Hope your inflammation and pain are gone

VICKI....shout out to you!

CYNDY.... how did you doctor appointment go?

TERESA...thanks so much for the pedometer info. I have heard of Omron and will go to sports authority this weekend. Wearing a pedometer really helps motivate me to get in extra steps. Hopefully the weather will cool off again so it will be pleasant to walk outside. I have some horse neighbors around the corner the I can go look at

I am wearing the pedometer clipped to my pocket. I'm willing to pay more $ if it will work. I had one before that I could just carry in my purse and it was accurate. It got lost somehow in our move from Birmingham

Did you ask the customer service people at WF if they have a special weekly sale? Just an idea...the customer service people at both of the WFs that I've shopped at kept a box of cut out coupons. You can then get a bunch of whatever coupons you want.

I haven't gotten the retin a yet. Thanks for the advice and the reminder! I was talking to a lady who is 78 years old and looks like she is in her 50's. Really nice skin!!! I asked her what she used and she said retin A and an inexpensive moisturizer! AMAZING results on her!
She gets her doctor to write a prescription for it and pays $4 at walmart.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
I'm here,I'm doing about the same,no bad inflammation this week.I was in the main lobby reading the Pinerest post,they have some nice recipe boards on their,makes me wonder why i would ever want to not eat lowcarb.I'm thinking about joining pinerest for the low carb boards.I see you talking about squash,i was thinking about them too,i also like rutabags but i don't know about the carb count yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning! It's Monday....blah. But at least I don't have a ton of meetings today!!

Liz---Did you find a pedometer? I meant to check Sports Authority this weekend but didn't get there. I did look at their site on line and it doesn't look like they carry them, but who knows. I did see a couple different Omron's at Walgreens, they were $30 and $40 (not sure other than the shape what the $10 difference was---didn't have time to really look them over) and you can put them in your pocket, around your neck (strap included), in your purse, etc. I did a little price checking on line and actually those prices were only a couple of dollars higher than on line. If I don't find one cheaper, I'm going to watch the prices at Walgreens as they tend to have some really good sales on that kind of stuff....just never know when it will happen! Oh yeah---and clipped on your pocket won't work well with a regular pedometer, they're super sensitive to motion so you will rack up all kinds of steps---or you could end up with none depending on how much motion it detects.

I made the turkey meatloaf/green bean 1 pan thing from the Whole Deal booklet. I haven't tried it yet because I ended up eating something else for dinner but oh my gosh it smelled good. Having it for lunch today!

I haven't asked at WF about any of the deals--I'll have to do that. Planning to go either tonight or tomorrow night....killer deal on one of my favorite kinds of chocolate so I need to get over there soon!

Yes, the retinA really is kind of a little miracle in a tube. It's not an overnight thing, it definitely takes a bit of time and then there's basically life time maintenance but really so worth it! My coloring and the smoothness of my skin now is such that I really don't even need to wear makeup most days, just a little light finishing powder and some eye liner and I'm good to go! Which I love, cause I'm just not a girly girl!

Winifred---yay on the no inflamation!! I haven't checked out pinterest yet.....but I'm thinking about it! Me and my addictive personality I'm afraid I would be on it all the time. I do want to hear what you think about it and if you find lots of great stuff! Rutabagas are fairly high carb. Do you like turnips? I'm pretty sure they are quite a bit lower.

Well----better get going. My boss is having a fit and almost yelling at some peeps on the phone. He NEVER raises his voice so I know it's something bad and I'm probably going to have to help fix whatever it is.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Has anyone tried chinese eggplant? I went to an international market and bought one. They are very skinny, long and a light colored purple. I really liked it! It doesn't have to be salted to remove the bitter taste like a regular eggplant. It also have very few seeds. It is easier to cut up. I just chopped the ends and used a veggie peeler. It was then quick to cut it up and sautee in olive oil, garlic and italian spices. I topped it off with shredded parmesan. DELISH!

I also got some napa cabbage. Has anyone tried that? I love it because it is much milder than regular cabbage. I don't find that it has the strong cabbagey smell when cooking.

It is rainy and in the 50's! I'm looking forward to cooler weather but when you add in the rain I want warm fuzzy clothing and hot tea. It is supposed to be nicer weather for the rest of the week and I look forward to getting out and walking

Today is October already! I always like the first day of the month for a fresh start with exercise/WOE. I've been doing pretty well with eating 3 meals and watching portion sizes and calories. I am eating 90% whole foods which seems to work for me.

WINIFRED....I'm glad the inflammation is not bad this week. I have a pinterest account and have several boards with recipes. I really enjoy using that and finding new recipes. It is so much better and easier than printing off recipes and then losing them

TERESA.... I realized that my favorite pedometer (lost in move from Birmingham) was an moron HJ-112. I LOVED that thing! I could keep it in my pocket, my purse, clip it to my pants or wear it around my neck and it was very accurate. the only thing I didn't like was having to keep track of a tiny tool thing to replace the battery. I finally learned to just tape it to the package of extra batteries. It uses watch batteries. I just ordered it from amazon for $22. I also ordered the batteries CR2032 to make the order over $25 for free shipping:jump joy: I've had a few pedometers since then and none of them have been as good.

Let us know how the turkey meatloaf recipe turns out. I have 2 packages of ground turkey in my refrig that I need to cook

Thanks again for the retin A info. I will definitely use that in the future.

I just noticed that the pedometer came out as MORON instead of OMRON. For some reason I can't type OMRON in lowercase letters without it autocorrecting to moron?!?!? Too funny! I am the MORON who lost the OMRON! The brand is OMRON!!

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 10-01-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
Goodness gracious. I can't believe how long I've been gone. Today is not a really good day to catch up, but I thought I'd better let you know that I'm alive and healthy. The results came back A-OK from the doctor this morning. Yippee! Plus I lost 20 pounds since my appt. six months ago. The nurse congratulated me on the weight loss and I said, gee, that's three pounds a month. You don't think it's coming off too fast do you? We all had a good laugh, but she said I'm going in the right direction. But my scale says 258 and theirs said 274. What's up with that? SIXTEEN LBS.? At least I feel great and I'm losing, even if it is ever so s-l-o-w-l-y!

Yes, I work weekends too, so it's going to be a 28-day marathon session, but it ends Friday when I walk out of here at 4:30. I go get my hair cut and then it's total freedom until Monday morning! Sure hope the nice weather hangs in a little longer so I can enjoy the beautiful fall outdoors.

Glad everyone is doing well. I've passed so many roadside stands with winter squash, but couldn't stop with all the driver's ed kids in the car. I don't really eat winter squash on low carb, but I do like the spaghetti squash and it's not too bad. I bake it in the oven, then scrape it all out and mix it with some garlic butter and parmesan and bake it again. Makes a good side dish, but watch the portions. I think there's four carbs in half a cup, which isn't a very large serving, at least not for me - ha-ha!

Gotta run for now. Publication day at the paper. Stay well and on plan everyone. I'll be back later in the week.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.
- Thomas A. Edison
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

I have never cooked spaghetti squash.The napa cabbage sounds good and Kroger has eggplant on sale this week or maybe its not a sale cause I never bought any its $1 a pound.And I love veggies,my hubby does too.Hes has eaten mostly beans,peas and different greens.But I love trying new foods,maybe he will like them too.Thanks for telling me rutabagas are high carb,i'll just stick to turnips.Also I remember they are root veggies,might cause inflammation if i eat too much.Cyndy glad to see you back.Have a good Tuesday eveyone.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #309
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Today is my 6 year anniversary of starting this whole weight loss journey! Since I got down to a relatively 'normal' weight (albiet high based on BMI) exactly 5 years ago (171) that makes 5 years of maintaining a major loss---which means I beat all the statistics that say I could not keep it off for 5 years! So take that you stupid statistics!!

Liz--- I was wondering who would make a product named MORON!! Glad you clarified that! Hmmmmm, so that might be another option as to where I can get one. So are there other features on it besides the steps---like calories burned, etc.---that you use? I've had a lot of them that have all kinds of other fancy features but I never take the time to learn to use them! Maybe we should have some kind of 'step challenge?' Like set a goal each week how many steps we are going to get in either daily or weekly and report back?

The turkey meatloaf is great, and so easy!! Here are my tweaks, not because the original recipe wouldn't be perfect but I just went with what I had. Used ground chicken instead of turkey (the only ground turkey on the shelf was 99% lean and I knew that would just leave me starving...I don't like fatty meat but I need a little something something and there is no other fat in this recipe) and butternut instead of sweet potatoes. Next time I make it I will line the pan with foil because the bbq sauce in the loafs started to burn on the pan which made clean up not fun!

I have seen those eggplants at the farmers markets but haven't tried them, but it sounds like I should! I think Napa cabbage is the one Vicki recommended awhile back to use for 'wraps'---if so I did try it and liked it, but now I can't remember if that was the name of it or not??

Cyndy---yay on the clean bill of health and the lbs down!! I'm so glad you are almost done with your work-a-thon, you really deserve a break!

Winifred---so what are your favorite veggie dishes? I always need new ideas. I seem to make the same ones over and over and even though I love them I like to try new things...just not sure where to start!

Speaking of veggies---anyone have clever ideas on how to 'sneak' veggies into your dishes? It's not that I don't enjoy veggies, but there are some that I just don't buy because they aren't my favorite or I won't use them all before they go bad or I just don't know what to do with them! Anyway, if I could get a little more clever with how I use them I could probably get even more in than I already do---and not let others go to waste.

OK---time to get on with my day. It's Customer Service week here which means non-stop treats and meals. We also are in the busiest time of the year which means we provide treats/food for our staff daily...so every square inch of empty space in my cabinets in my office is now all filled up with food!! I have not been a saint by any stretch but starting today I'm going to make sure that any treat that I eat is healthy (or at least relatively healthy) and part of my planned meal. When I start eating without planning it becomes a disaster!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm happy to report that I am starting to exercise again! Nothing drastic...but everyday I'm doing something for at least 30 minutes. Usually just walking on the treadmill. It is a good start!

CYNDY...CONGRATS on the 20lbs down! That is fantastic! Weight that I lose more slowly tends to stay off. Those lbs you lost are gone forever! KUTGW!

I like spaghetti squash. I like to do it in the microwave because it is so quick and easy.
I like it the way that you mentioned but I also enjoy it with alfredo sauce.

TERESA... WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! HUGE CONGRATS on your 6 year anniversary!!!!!!!! 5 years of maintaining a loss is great! Not only have you maintained a major loss but you've also gain a much healthier way of eating!!!
FANTASTIC!!!

I never learn the special features on the pedometer I'm bad like that I just look at distance/steps.
I still am finding features on my car that I got in November I thought I was starting to have hot flashes until I finally figured out that I had turned on my heated seats. hahahaha Who needs heated seats in the south anyways?

Napa is firmer than regular cabbage. It is not round, more football shaped. The leaves would make great wraps!

Which veggies are you interested in sneaking into your foods?
Maybe we pick a veggie and each share recipes/ideas?

A step challenge would be great! I got the tracking info for my pedometer and it should be here tomorrow! I love how fast they ship things!
Do you have a working pedometer or will you have to get one?

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 10-02-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.... Please share some of your best buys/favorites from Trader Joes!!!
We're leaving this evening to take a quickie trip to Nashville. We will hit the outlet malls and then TJ's on the way home. I'm bringing a cooler to stock up! I'm more excited about TJ's than the outlet mall
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #312
Big Yapper!!!!

Ohhhh, TJ's! I think you'll love it! Well, most of the stuff that I buy there I can buy most places, but they have organics and/or better quality of stuff for much better prices. Definitely check out their produce---I typically get my bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, lettuces and lemons there. Also sundried tomatoes are in the produce sections--I highly recommend those. Some of the other things I always buy there---in the frozen foods I get their multi colored bell pepper strips and their green beans.....can't remember the name of the gb's but they are thin and they come in a kind of square white bag. I don't know why but I love these more than even fresh ones! I also like the frozen artichoke hearts and the leaks, kind of handy compared to fresh or canned. All of their fish is good and I like their meatballs---again, can't remember the name---and I like their turkey burgers--not ground turkey but grilled turkey patties basically. Check out their nuts, you will definitely find something you like. They have big bags that have little individual bags in them---great for portion control. They have flavored ones and just basically all kinds. They have tons of great cheeses. I love the gruyere/swiss blend and the boursin cheeses, but all of the ones I have tried are good. I would recommend one of my favorite pb's but...... They do have good organic pb and ab so definitely try some. They have some great teas---I like the ginger pear one a lot and there is a mango one, I think it's African mango, that is really good. Hmmmm....my cats love the 'tuna for cats!' For snacky stuff I love the wavy sweet potato chips and the pineapple chips (which are actually found with the dried fruit). Oh and they have a quinoa/black bean and something else tortilla chip that is really good. I adore the old fashion graham crackers that come in a tub however they are a bit too good for me to have lying around! Hmmmm, other staples.....their brand of sprouted bread is really good. They also have decent prices on imported butters. If you are a wine drinker you need to get a bottle of their '2 buck chuck' just cause they are famous for it. I am not a big wine drinker so I have no idea what is good and what isn't but apparently even wine drinkers like this stuff and it's like 2.99 a bottle. OK--not food but I love their tote bags! Check them out, they're very cute and inexpensive---and very handy! My favorite that is out now is a cream colored one with navy trim and straps and it has side pockets. Have I ever mentioned I'm obsessed with tote bags?! My team pretty much loves everything from there but their newest favorites are just the plain Joe's sandwich cookies as well as their kettle chips. They have sf and organic chocolate bars at the check outs. If you go for the organic stuff, watch the ingredients. Some are decent, some are pretty crappy. I also use their organic ketchup. And I always get their bourbon vanilla.

OK---considering I couldn't really think of anything---there are a few ideas for you of what I love there! You'll have to tell me what you end up getting. I pretty much always spot some new (to me anyway) things when I'm in there--there's just so much stuff packed into a relatively tiny space so it's hard to 'see' it all so you will probably find things I have never even noticed! Oh---one more thing. If you use almond flour it is really cheap there---like $4.00 a lb I believe. Sadly they no longer carry peanut flour.

As far as the pedometer---let's make a plan when you get back from your trip. I actually have several of them right now. All are cheapos but I know how to make them work! Also I like the idea of sharing veggie dishes, let's start that soon. As far as sneaking in veggies---here is one that I always end up throwing quite a bit of it away--baby spinach. I mix it with my butter lettuce for salads but after 2-3 the butter lettuce is gone and I'm bored with salads for the moment but I have 1/2 a bag of baby spinach left. I'm not overly fond of cooked/sauteed spinach on it's own so I need some creative ideas for what to do with it.

Have a great trip!!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #313
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh---and my exciting news----it's not even 3:30 and I am going home!! EVERY SINGLE meeting I had today was cancelled. I have no clue why .....hopefully that doesn't mean something bad is going on. But either way---I'm enjoying it right now!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....thank you so much for giving me some great product ideas for TJ's!
I got almost everything you mentioned except for the frozen artichokes and leeks. I couldn't find those.

DH loved the sweet potato chips and we are both enjoying the ginger pear tea! We've loved all of your suggestions!

I also got canned albacore tuna in water. That stuff is really good! So much better than the tuna at WF and cheaper.

I stocked up on the green beans you mentioned...I think I got 7 bags! Tons of frozen fish, turkey meatballs, grilled turkey patties, and several cheese.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 10-08-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....
How are you doing? Are you doing any specific plan? How is work and life in general? Please come back and post!

I enjoyed our trip to Nashville. DH went crazy at the outlet mall. He bought a lot more stuff than I did. I got a purse from the coach outlet (grayish leather) for over 70% off. I also got a pair of nikes from the nike outlet.

so are you ready for a pedometer challenge???
I'm thinking that I will start off with a modest and easily attainable goal and then increase it every week.

Re. the baby spinach....Do you make smoothies? It is easily hidden in those...except for the green color.

I love spinach in scrambled eggs with cheese.

I've chopped it up before and added it to egg salad or deviled eggs.

It is great to add to casseroles or tomato sauce.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
I'm with Liz, Teresa. I eat baby spinach almost every day in my morning eggs. I don't even chop it up. I put the non-stick pan on low with some diced ham or bacon bits and throw in a handful of spinach. By the time I'm dressed, it's nice and wilted and I pour my scrambled eggs over the whole thing and add some crushed red pepper. Great breakfast! I love it. I've seen a lot of smoothie recipes that use spinach too, but I haven't gotten into smoothies yet. Maybe some day, but I'm one that gets too hungry too fast if I drink my meal. You can also chop it up and add it to that delicious meatloaf recipe. It will probably disappear.

On another note, I made the pumpkin bake yesterday and am going to have a piece of that tonight. Not enough time to let it chill properly and everyone says it's much better cold. Looks awesome though. Can't wait! It really made the kitchen smell like fall! I'll let you know how it turned out.

Starting my walking tonight, but forgot to bring a pedometer. I'll have to scrounge it up and start wearing one and see how I measure up to you gals.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #317
Big Yapper!!!!

Sheesh, it's about time you people checked in. I was giving it 1 more day and then I was done checking for 'life' on this thread.

I'm ready for the pedometer challenge! I have been a slug and I'm quickly running out of decent days to walk outside so I need to get to it! I'm going to make my goal this week an average of 8000 steps per day--some days may be more, some less but by the end of Sunday I'll have at least 48,000 steps (6 days X 8000). While cleaning out some stuff this weekend I found a brand new pedometer---and it's an Omron! I remember buying it on clearance for about 5 bucks, maybe less. It's not the kind that you can put in your pocket though---it's a 'hipster'....need to find out what exactly that means?? Anyway, probably will be a bit easier to use than the cheapos so I'll try it out today.

Off work today (and yesterday). Had a procedure (basically scar revision under my chin) on Friday and although it really wasn't very painful I look hideous so I'm glad I decided to take a couple days off to let the swelling, etc. go down a bit. Unfortunately I don't get the sutures out until Friday afternoon so anyway you look at it--it's not pretty. I've been very cooped up and going crazy---had to wear the 'jaw bra' 24/7 for the first few days so today I am finally going to get out of the house. I have a feeling I'll have to wear it again 24/7 next weekend after he takes the sutures out and puts the steri strips on....but I hope not.

Lots of errands/couponing today. I tell ya, I'm obsessed! I have gotten better at passing up stuff I don't want/need, regardless how cheap--although free or just pennies is really hard to to say no to! I keep trying to figure out the coupon policies at K-Mart and pretty much every time I mess something up---but today IS going to be my day and my plan IS going to work out! Sometimes I think the challenge of figuring out all the rules for the coupons, rewards, catalinas, etc. and doing all the planning is half the fun...although frustrating.

On the spinach---I don't do smoothies...well, let me take that back, I like them but drinking my cals never fills me up. I don't mind a bit of spinach in my eggs, just rarely eat them anymore..... However, the way you make them Cyndy reminded me that I could add them to other sauteed veggies probably. I love sauteed winter squash w/bell peppers and I'm wondering if I would like it with spinach added to it...? Guess I'll have to try it out! Also---I have had wonderful wilted spinach salads with bacon 'dressing' before. I keep meaning to try making that---yum!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA...Please don't leave us! I'll hunt you down! I'm sorry I've been a slacker with posting.

Ok, lets start the pedometer challenge! 8,000 steps is great! I'm kinda ashamed to put in my meager 3,000 steps average per day. So, 18,000 total per week MINIMUM!
I want to make my goal easy and then I can add in more every week.

Jaw bra? Doesn't sound too pretty. i hope you are pain free and the scar heals up quickly! Is there any more surgery that you plan or want to have done?

What kind of goodies are you getting with your coupons? You can always donate cheap stuff that you dont want/need to the food banks. They are very low on stuff due to this horrible economy.

I love wilted spinach salad with bacon dressing! YUM! Let us know if you try it!

CYNDY.... I'm glad to see you posting! Thanks for the idea on doing a pumpkin bake! After reading that I plan to make one today. It is so perfect with this cooler weather to eat with a cup of hot tea! I also like to put a bit of sweetened greek yogurt on top and a sprinkle of toasted walnuts.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #319
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm back from my million errands! OK, it was really only like 4...plus the gas station....but it felt like more!

Well, I scored at K-mart. Need to look at my receipt but about 55 bucks worth of stuff for 6.85 including tax and I got a thing for 5 bucks off my next trip. Now, I only wanted/needed about 15-20 bucks worth of that stuff but the rest will be nice little gifts and giveaways. Plus I mostly just wanted to prove I could figure out their system!! Unfortunately one of the things I was trying to figure out I couldn't because the ladies coupon scanner wasn't working (she had to do it all manually) so I'll have to test that out later. Then I went to WalMart and would have spent about 4.25 for 25.00 worth of stuff but I decided after all my hard work at K-Mart I deserved a treat (or two ) and bought an fairly pricey steak (a Laura's Lean Beef top sirloin---but it was on sale! ) and a cheap candle that smells soooo good...so my total was 16.xx. But not too bad. Then I went to 2 different stores to stock up on junk food for the crew. I get to keep any points, rewards, coupons, etc. but pay with the company dime. Got a thing for 5.00 off anything (basically) at the grocery store and over 10.00 worth of pts that can be used on basically anything at Walgreens!! Now---bottom line I tend to buy as much stuff if not more for them with any freebies I get but still it's very fun!

Jaw bra=not pretty at all! But I'm glad to be out of it today. It hurts my ears and makes my head very sensitive. I still have to wear it at night but I have been pretty much since surgery in August so no biggie. Do I want other surgeries....yes and no. Still lots of stuff to fix but I'm truely tired of it all...and broke. I really need a 'revise' on the thighs but we'll see. Pretty much anything other than that, that I really want done (like I need a belly button! ) will be little things that can be done in the office--or at least that's the plan for now.

Hey---3000 steps a day is great, no apologies needed! I get in tons of steps at work, otherwise I'd be pushing it to get in 3000. I did a ton of errands today and I'm not quite to 3500. On a normal stay at home day if I didn't do errands or go for a walk I would never get in more than a few hundred! Speaking of which I'm going to go try to get in a quick walk...it's getting kind of breezy out and looks like rain but if I hurry maybe I can get in a couple of miles.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....wowza! You got some awesome deals! Please keep sharing your scores! I love a good bargain!

I got a new cookbook from the women's exchange of Memphis. They are a charitable organization that helps women & children. I bought it as a charitable thing but I am finding a couple of useable recipes.

the recipes are higher carb but I found one that I think looks pretty good. I think it could also work with butternut squash

SQUASH CASSEROLE
6 large yellow squash, steamed and drained
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup bread crumbs (I would omit this and use parmesan cheese for topping)

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onion and pepper in butter. Add to cooked squash along with mayo, cheese, water chestnuts, salt and egg. Stir until well blended. Pour into buttered 1.5 quart casserole and cover with bread crumbs (parmesan cheese for lower carb)
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Serves 6

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 10-09-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey everybody!

I made my pedometer goal yesterday! I did over 3,200 steps.

Today I'm at 1,700 after walking around the neighborhood a bit. I plan to get on the treadmill and make up the rest of the walk. People drive so fast on my street and several of the areas don't have side walks. The weather is so beautiful that I plan to drive somewhere tomorrow to walk outside.

TERESA...I'm glad you've gotten all of your major surgery done!
Did you get any good bargains today? Are you back at work today?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,Teresa wow you did great at Kmart.How is everyone doing? I come in to read posts but things are slow right now.Liz i like the recipe but i never had water chestnuts.Can i use frozen squash ? Not much going on on this end of the world ,just cooler at night and I don't like cold weather,my joints don't work good when they are cold.I'm still waiting for my appt and hoping if someone cancels I can go sooner.

Well I also did not mention that I'm trying to get weight loss surgery,its a doc about 3 hours away that dose the operation with medicaid ,i have to do a 6 month weight loss plan,and a heart doc has to say i can withstand anthesia.I don't want this for a quick fix,i would like to have it as a tool to help me with my weight loss cause i still have to watch what i eat to keep the weight off.

So yall let me know what you think about this please.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WINIFRED....hi there! Nice to see you posting!

I'm sure you could use frozen squash for that recipe. Just steam it and drain. Water chestnuts are used in chinese foods. They are sold in a can and are small thin white slivers that are crispy. Sort of like the crisp of an apple without much taste.

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers for an opening to get the surgery sooner!

I don't know a whole lot about weight loss surgery but you might find some info here:
Weight Loss Surgery - Low Carb Friends
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #324
Big Yapper!!!!

Ugggg, long day! But it was pretty good overall. It just never pays to take time off work cause it's just piled up when I get back.

Liz--yep, more deals today! Stopped at Target to pick up my thyroid meds and grabbed some good deals. 75+ for 31 and got 10 back in gift cards! I really think I'm addicted.... But I'm having fun with it for now. And luckily with a small apt, there is only so much stuff I can stock up on so it will have to end at some point!

Yay on getting your steps in!! I can't remember my steps for the last 2 days but I made over 9000 both days! I need to make sure I keep them high for the next couple of days because I'm not sure if I will be stuck at home all weekend in the lovely 'jaw bra' or not. If so, there won't be a whole lot of walking going on! I'm very glad my pedometer has a 7 day memory thing on it so I can get my tally at the end of the week. If yours is an Omron (or Moron ) you should have that feature as well.

Winifred---great to see you! As far as the WLS goes---I'm personally all for it. Well----except when people don't think it all through and are going for that quick fix, then I think it can be even more damaging in the long run but when it's well thought out I think it can truly be a huge blessing. If I hadn't been too scared to have surgery I would have done it myself long ago. Now that I'm a 'pro' at surgery (although only 1 true major/medical surgery) I know that if I were where I was 6 years ago I would definitely be looking into it and checking out all my options. I think when we have 200 or more lbs to lose the challenges are so much greater and more complex than anyone can imagine and any tools that are available should be considered. It definitely isn't a magic cure---it still takes a lot of work, and although it helps a lot with the initial losses, maintenance is a ton of work for anyone IMO regardless of how they lost the weight. I have seen a couple of people in real life who have had great long term success, 1 who never really 'utilized' the tool and didn't lose much and 1 who has gained it all back---so about 50/50 success rate in the limited pool that I know. But those odds are better than the typical dieter and far better than the odds are for those of us who have a lot to lose. So I say if you have thought this all through, done your research and some serious soul searching---than more power to ya!! Which type of WLS are you considering? Please keep us posted on how it is progressing---we want to be here to support you with whatever you decide!

OK---time to go strap on the jaw bra and get in bed....I'm sleepy!!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

I got my 3,000 steps in today!

I did quite a bit of grazing last night but plan to do better tonight.

TERESA....WTG on getting your steps! My moron doesn't have the weekly memory...it is, after all , a moron.
It does let me look back for a week and I can do the averages if needed.

Are you still monitoring your hunger cues? If so, how is it going?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #326
Big Yapper!!!!

Yay on the 3000!! I think your Moron's memory is the same as mine. It won't calculate the week for me (maybe mines a Moron too ) but I can look back at each day so I don't have to try to remember them (cause I'm a moron and can't remember to write stuff down ).

As far as eating to hunger---no, I have totally sucked at that lately! I'm mostly trying to not eat everything that isn't nailed down! But I need to really get back in tune with hunger---it is so much of a less restrictive less obsessive way for me, but I haven't been able to get myself off this crazy overeating roller coaster I have been on for the last couple of weeks. But I did not eat any sugar today---and let me tell you, there were at least a dozen occasions where I just wanted to 'hole up' in my office and eat the 7 million candy bars and other crapola things that are in there. So yay me....I guess.

Can I just vent?!! Well I'm going to anyway! This has just been a train wreck of a day. First time in a lonnnnng time that I have slept almost until my alarm. I sooo didn't want to get out of bed....and I shouldn't have! Lots of questions and demands from the moment I got to work. First meeting I was in was 2 hours and a total nightmare of stupidity. All of that is just par for the course some days but it got way worse from there. I was walking back to my office and realized TOM started. I had pretty much given up on it for this month since it's like at least 10 days late so I was caught a little off guard....and had a couple stains on my pants by the time I got to the bathroom. I don't know if I have ever had it come on like that before...well, actually a few times in the middle of the night but never during the day. Unfortunately I had back to back meetings and no way of escaping to change clothes so I had to clean up and deal with it as best as I could. Thank God I had a fairly long sweater on that I could pull down over my hips. And thankfully I always have some 'supplies' in my purse (oh, that reminds me, need to go restock the purse!) so I was at least OK on that front. As I was cleaning up I looked down and realized I had a dryer sheet hanging out of the bottom of my pants. Seriously?! And the day just kept getting worse with lots of drama, confusion, stress, etc. although most of that was others, not me, but I kept finding myself getting pulled into it, as hard as I was trying to avoid it all! Ended the day with a manager being totally out of line/disrespectful to me. I let it go at first as she tends to be fairly unprofessional although she and I have always worked pretty well together. After a few more digs I finally had to call her on her behavior at which point she started back peddling but I was just done with her at that point. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Did I mention this just wasn't my day?! OK, glad I got that off my chest!

Now I just need to go find a way to 'let go' of this whole day. It's dark and cold and windy so a walk is out...which is a bummer because I think I'm only at about 7000 steps for today. I thought about going shopping but decided that I'm already addicted to 'deals' enough, don't need to purposely go do it when I'm stressed! I think instead I will go look at recipes. I have not been doing a lot of baking lately and I have a pot luck next week so I need to figure out what to make. Oh, and a lady on our team is starting low carb next week so in honor of that I'm going to make sure that I make something sugar free---and she loves peanut butter so I'm thinking peanut butter cheesecake muffins will be one of the things I make.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #327
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh---and looking at recipes reminded me about my favorite winter squash--the buttercup! I bought 2 last week and still haven't prepped one so I will do that this weekend. Plan to pick up a bunch more tomorrow before they are all gone. LOVE them! Very low carb for a winter squash and really taste a lot like sweet potatoes. They do take a bit to cut/peel/prep but you get a lot of squash out of 1 of them so totally worth it. Also I've found that if you get the ones that are more like a turban squash---hard weird 'turban' thing on the end, they are much harder to work with. I get the ones that look like the ones in the picture below. Here's the nutritional info for anyone who is interested:

Buttercup Squash - Nutrition | Selection | Storage
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have done 4000 steps today! I kept my pedometer on and just did my average walking around, cleaning activities and managed to add an extra 1000 steps!

TERESA.... So sorry you had such a crummy day! WTG for venting and posting here! I'm glad your train wreck of a day is over.

BRAVO for not turning to sugar/food to get thru such a rough day:jump joy:

I came back here to post something I thought was SO cool!
Maybe you've heard of this...but I thought I would share.

In order to get a cream cheese center filling for muffins....mix up the cream cheese (8oz) with sweetener of choice, vanilla, etc. Cut a piece of plastic wrap about 10 inches long. Spoon cream cheese filling onto center of plastic forming a log. Roll it up into about the size of a quarter. Put in the freezer until it is firm. Cut into 12 equal pieces and place one piece into the center of each muffin (batter) and then bake. This will give you a cream cheese filling! :jump joy:

I'm thinking this would be delish with so many different types of muffins! And you could do a chocolate cream cheese filling by adding cocoa powder!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....thanks for the reminder of buttercup squash. I totally forgot about them! I'll have to look for them. I don't think I've seen them here yet.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your support,I think I'm considering the gastric bypass and following it up with low carb.I don't want to get back on white flour foods and alot of sugar its not good for me.I will keep you posted but it will be months away,and I hope our thread will still be going.I'll check back later this week kinda tired we went to get groceries.
Closed Thread