LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
hez
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hez
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/02/2012
2012 National Holiday Goals

Hey Century Club friends! Would you be interested in joining in a challenge with me for 2012?

I would LOVE to be able to take my family to a photographer late this year and have Christmas cards made to send to all our friends…without (too much) embarrassment. Now Christmas is something like 33 weeks away, which, for me, is too long of a long window for goal setting. I’ve solved this problem in keeping with the holiday theme by breaking the rest of this year up into bite-sized chunks based on (US) holidays. How much progress can you make by 4th of July? How about Columbus Day, or Thanksgiving? Here’s the list of holidays I came up with:

“Lazy Day?” There were too many days between Independence Day and Labor Day, so I looked up one of those odd National Holidays that no one knows about. It seemed fitting in an ironic kind of way.

Start now by posting your current weight, along with your goal weight for the next holiday on the list. What will you do to make sure you meet your goal? Is there any particular reason that goal is important to you? Will you reward yourself for meeting that goal in some way? If so, how?

When that holiday rolls around, be sure to check back in, tell us about how you did, and set your goal for the next holiday on the list. Also, feel free to post back as often as you want for support or idle chit chat. If we get a few people participating, I will get this more organized with a Google Document so we can track our goals and outcomes.
hez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
hez
Junior LCF Member

First Up: Memorial Day

Memorial Day is on May 28th this year. It is a day to remember those who have given their lives in the armed forces. It’s also generally the start of the summer vacation season, and a Monday off work for a lot of Americans. From today, Memorial Day is a short 18 days (about 2 and a half weeks) away.

My current weight is 328 pounds, and by 5/28, I am hoping to be down to 318. To meet that goal, I’m going to LC without cheating, and exercise whenever I get the chance. I can do it! If I meet my goal, I’m going to reward myself by cleaning out my underwear drawer and restocking with new stuff.

What is your weight loss goal for 5/28?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hildebeest
Stats: 406/389.2/200
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 6/13/14
Sounds like fun, Heather. Count me in. I'll stick right there with you at a good round 10 lbs by Memorial Day - my goal will be 379. I've been playing with three pounds for the last week or so, I figure a brand new challenge thread is a good way to attract the elusive Whoosh Fairy.

I know there's another Memorial Day challenge thread running - but I like the idea of jumping in on the front end of your new group here - 'catching up' on long existing threads makes my brain hurt. Onward!

Psst... If I lose 11 pounds, will you come clean out a drawer for me? Heh heh.

New underwear is a great idea. In order to keep myself honest (and grinning) I used to say to myself, "Sugar tastes like size 14 underwear." I'm'a bring that back, I think.

I've also decided to not wait to get rid of clothes I shrink out of. This is not a 'Try' for me... I'm doing it, seeing it through to and then beyond every goal. No more 'safety net' fat clothes for me. I am NOT looking back. Once I'm firmly too small for a size, everything in my closet that size will go to consignment or Goodwill. (erm, I'll recycle or trash the underwear) Bygum!!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
hez
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hildebeest View Post

I know there's another Memorial Day challenge thread running - but I like the idea of jumping in on the front end of your new group here - 'catching up' on long existing threads makes my brain hurt. Onward!

Psst... If I lose 11 pounds, will you come clean out a drawer for me? Heh heh.
I'm with you on the Mega Threads. Feels rude to jump to page 73 and be like "HI! What's going on?!"

And on the drawer, I've been to TN. It wasn't bad (better than my native Indiana), but I don't have plans to come back anytime soon.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hez View Post
And on the drawer, I've been to TN. It wasn't bad (better than my native Indiana), but I don't have plans to come back anytime soon.
Having been to Indiana (DH is from Indianapolis) I concur. There are cool things to look at in Indiana, but I don't think I wanna live there.

TN is a nearly perfect place to live in my opinion - 'cept she can't get her politics straight. I'll rethink the ranking when we have a new governor. I moved closer to Nashville about a year ago, and I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the awesomeness compared to the little backwards monochromatic retirement community we came from, heh!

Where in TN did you visit?
Hildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: skoolmarm729
Stats: 5'8- Size 26
WOE: LC/Water/Exercise
Start Date: Restart 4/30/12
I think I'll jump in on this one early too!

I am not using a scale, but by Memorial Day (and almost 1 month on LC) I hope to be able to comfortably button a shirt that is currently a very tight fit.

I will continue to eat LC, drink 100 oz+ of water, and walk 10 miles a week.

Nice to "meet" you ladies
skoolmarm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: beachchick
Stats: (290/267/200) 5'11" tight 22/18/14
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 5, 2012
Hi, My name is Karen. I was a "regular" lurker here a few years ago. I re-committed to LC eating and exercise last week. When I was fully committed to this lifestyle a few years ago, I felt fantastic...no idea why I needed to sabotage myself. I would love to join this challenge. As of this morning, I weigh 270.8. Since Memorial Day is less than 2 weeks away, I would be happy to lose 5 lbs. I will continue to eat on plan and exercise 5 times a week. I've been doing a "Walk Away the Pounds " dvd.
beachchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
hez
Junior LCF Member

Hildebeest: Smoky Mountains State Park was a pretty regular summer vacation destination for us. You're right, it's not too bad. I don't miss the humidity and the bugs in that part of the country though. I'll take my high, dry, rocky mountain climate.

Skoolmarm: Excellent! Thank you for joining in. I recently started sewing again and I made the cutest shirt for myself that came out just a *smidge* too small. I'm excited to fit in it too.

beachchick: Welcome! I'm right there with you. I had great success 5 years ago following a low-carb plan and I have no idea why I quit. I just noticed how tall you are. Cool! I'm a little over 6', and I've never been close to a healthy weight, so I'm not sure what my goal is. Have you been at 200 before? Is that a comfortable weight for you?

I'm shocked at how easy this has been so far. Tomorrow will be two weeks of trying, and I've already lost 13 pounds! I know there's a "whoosh" at the beginning for almost everybody, but it's super motivating.

I got a new app on my iPhone called WalkMeter. I've been walking on my lunch hour, normally get in around 3 miles. Yesterday, though, I set up WalkMeter to interrupt my music every 5 minutes and tell me my average speed and distance. Being the natural competitor than I am *ahem* I made it a little over 4 miles in my hour! That was awesome, but today I have blisters on the bottoms of both feet so guess who's taking a day off from exercise? Anyway, I hope you guys are rockin' it too. I'm two pounds from my Memorial Day goal. Should be able to make this one!

Last edited by hez; 05-15-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome Hez! To answer your question, I haven't ever been at a healthy weight either! I think I got down to 235 for about a day once LOL!!! At that weight I wore a tight size 16 ( not terrible, but not at my goal). My initial goal is to weigh 200 pounds. If i get below that, you will hear me cheering all the way from Jersey! I just came back from a 2 mile walk. I didn't walk too quickly since I had my little dog with me. I think my new found fitness might just kill him ( just kidding). Get this, I didn't eat dinner because I wasn't really hungry...I don't remember that ever happening when I was on a low fat diet... just another confirmation that LCing is the way to go for me! So glad to read that you did 4 miles in an hour, that is very impressive. Keep it up and the pounds will just fall off you. I promise to stay in touch and hope we can all help each other along this journey.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
hez
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
I just came back from a 2 mile walk. I didn't walk too quickly since I had my little dog with me.
Two miles is awesome. I heard somewhere it hardly matters how fast you go. If you walk two miles or run two miles, you burn roughly the same number of calories. It just goes by faster if you're running.

I'm right there with you on the appetite suppression. Although, we're going through some drama in my family. Had to watch my mom and dad both cry yesterday over a sibling they are both terribly worried about (for good reason). My dad is NOT a crier. The stress and emotions just triggered this overwhelming desire for something sweet. Never thought of myself as an emotional eater. My husband helped me through it via text message support.

Got a little reward today for all yesterday's willpower struggles though. I put on a pair of jeans this morning that had been fairly well fitting last time I wore them. Well, by lunch I realized I had made a pretty bad miscalculation and had to run home for a belt. Made me so happy! I LOVE shrinking.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Shrinking is the BEST!!!! Sorry to hear about the family issues. Stay on plan as much as possible. After a few days of the scale not moving, I dropped a few pounds I'm down to 263.5. I hope it sticks!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosinitwithGrace
Stats: 216.3/208.3/175
WOE: Low Carb Living.
Start Date: 6/8/13
hmm could i join... might be kinda late for memorial day.. but i can use any and all support i can get!!! IM going on vacation. end of june into july. i need to drop 10 more pounds. then when i get back i need something to keep me going..

My current weight is 198 I would like to be 189 by June 27th when i leave for Vacation. Its just a number in my head.
I go home to visit some old friends and my family.. i gained some weight over between last vacation and this one.. but 189 is 5 pounds less than last year. so..in total i would be down 29 pounds but only 5 pounds to them rofl.
If i could get it lower great.

I follow Lc Strict 25 carbs tops.. and I work out 5 days a week burn about 700 calories a day.. I been trying really hard!

Last edited by LosinitwithGrace; 05-18-2012 at 10:09 AM..
LosinitwithGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Welcome, skoolmarm, Karen, and LosinitwithGrace! How y'all doin' this week?

Heather - that is FANTASTIC about your jeans. I'm eyeing a pair in my closet that I'm not brave enough to try just yet... I'll do that on Memorial Day.

I'm stalled and struggling of late. I don't think I'm going to make 379 for Memorial Day, but I'm sure going to keep trying. I know that not drinking enough water is part of my problem, but whatever else has me hovering between 387 and 389 is making me want to bang my head against a wall. I feel great, am moving more, and continue to up energy and mobility - I'm swimming almost daily - I'm not cheating, not eating too much and not downing LC 'treats'. I take a lot of supplements, and I'm considering stopping them and adding them back one at a time to see if some/all are contributing to this freakin' stall.

NOW. My clothes DO fit better; I'm not feeling as tied up in elastic as I once was, heh. My skin and hair look GREAT. So I will grip those successes with iron fists and keep on keepin' on!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Just keep up the great work Heather... don't forget, you might be adding muscle with your swimming workout!!! The stall will pass and you'll be dropping pounds in no time. I continue to eat on plan and work out 5 days a week. I may change from the 2 mile walk away the pounds dvd to the 4 mile one. The 2 mile is getting a bit easy!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Hi there! Would love to join your group if I may...I would enjoy the support and I know I will do the same for you...

Hez....thanks for starting the group...I love the Lazy Day lol..that sounds like fun..

Heather ..My DH and I were in Tennesse for Christmas ...We have a timeshare there so we went to Dollywood ...I am just a country gal...I live in AZ now but I am a Texas gal at heart. We loved the Smokey Mountains...beautiful country...and Christmas was just beautiful.

beachchick....I love Walk away the pounds too...I like working with it then I used to power walk too outside but not much since I moved here to HOT AZ...lol

Well I love my LC plan...I eat an early breakfast, no lunch and then an early supper, I have one starch each week...like a sweet or reg..potato or a bread item...or we go out for a meal and I have a starch meal...but I try not to get carried away... I drink ice tea all day every day with sweet and low (sorry) and I drink my water with slices of cucumbers added...it is a refreshing taste...really is....lol...I work out in the pool each day now so that is my exercise ...I keep busy now that I am home all day with my craft projects and that helps me to stay busy and I enjoy it too...I keep my hands busy scrapbooking, cardmaking, cross-stitching and reading...
Thank the Lord for electric mowers...I mowed all most all the backyard early this morning so that helped me get some exercise in....I told my DH it was like vacuuming the carpet with it being electric...now he will want me to do it again..lol...

Well time for bed for it is late here...hope everyone has a great evening...
Goodnite...

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Mary, nice to meet you! Sounds like you're on the right track. I decided to stick with my 2 mile walk away the pounds dvd for morning and add a 2 mile evening walk around the neighborhood. I eat very low carb throughout the day and treat myself in the evening. I have one pack of Atkins peanut butter cups ( they're expensive, but worth it to me since it keeps me from cheating!) So far I'm still losing, if i stall, they will be the first thing to go! I already passed my Memorial Day goal, but i just restarted low carbing so i know the weight loss will slow down!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Hello all,

Just working around the house awhile...Need to go workout walking thur the grocery store ...mmmm I make that quick with my LC list....but maybe a good workout thru Hobby Lobby...does that count...believe in having fun with some workouts...LOL

Hope everyone is having a great day...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
hez
Junior LCF Member

Hi Everybody. Welcome LosinIt & LadyInLove! Hope everybody's doing well and looking forward to the weekend. I know I am

I am going to have to push it pretty hard to hit my goal by Monday morning, but it's doable. I've been eating really well until yesterday - it was our 3rd anniversary and my husband and I decided to go out to dinner. Could have - SHOULD have - stayed on plan, but I didn't. The bad news is my dinner indiscretion kicked me out out of ketosis. The good news is I'm 100% back in gear today.

I've been slacking off on the workouts for the last few days. That's gotta stop. I did a 3.5 mile lunch hour today and I'm trying to will myself to go to the gym after work. It's so hard to give up time with my little boy when I'm already away from home 9 + hours a day. Maybe I'll just put him in the bike trailer and we'll pedal to the park instead. Sunny and 65 degrees today.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Evening all.....just waiting for supper to finish so here I am...Easy meal tonight with Beef patties, deviled eggs and canteloupe...Ran errands today and then came home and steamcleaned my carpet...I think that counts for some exercise...lol...I dropped off some things for the Goodwill so went inside and wow I found 2 md..size bags on the wall with some scrapbook looking paper in them so I bought them...WOW...for $6 I got probably 10 x that amt. in the items...I couldnt believe my eyes...someone really gave up some wonderful things I can use...Never know what you will find...One day I was in my local library and they have that magazine rack with them for sale...then on 25 cents...I happen to walk in when they were putting them out and found about 20 scrapbook magazines...Havent had that happen again lol...

Need to get in the pool tonight and get my routine done...I havent gotten my walk away the pounds started again yet but I will....but I know that I am feeling great...and really staying to my plan...We went out for a meal last night so that was counted as my one starch item of the week I allow myself....so today back on plan ...I find for me this works out great...I know alot of people say they can not do this but it seems to help me...I do not get carried away with my free meal though...I do not snack at all much ever and I dont do the sweets unless it is diet jello or LC ice cream....Nuts it I do snack....Please do not think that I dont like alot of foods for I do...I love to cook homemade everything....I am the Mom that had all the family over and made cookies for everyone for years...I love it but I have learned now...that I can not do that everyday...So now only for special times...

Not planning much for Memorial Day but just relaxing the my DH...He bought some lg. steaks to grill...I think I have done my share of Memorial Day celebrations....for I was military wife for along time before my 1st DH passed on...I still think military at times but my new DH works in the school system...so it is a different life ...We do like to travel though...so we have to watch what we eat now...stay on our LC while we are gone...

Have a great nite all..Supper is about ready at out house....
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: iminit4me
Stats: 315/258/140
WOE: Atkins NANY/Exercise
Start Date: May 2010
On Board the Low Carb Express!

Hi Everyone -
I just started back on LC May 14 and found this wonderful website. Noticed this thread and thought I would join in. I didn't actually set a Memorial Day goal, but am weighing in every Monday, so guess what? I can post my results on Memorial Day. Will probably be Tuesday, as I do this on my break at work. So I lost 7 pounds in the first week during the "whoosh" and am hoping for about the same this week, as I starting walking 2.5 miles a day, 5 days a week, with my sister. Been very good about not cheating, but did have a few cocktails last weekend. LC, but not on induction. I'm a little worried that I might be eating too many veggies and not enough fat. I'm still in the first 100 pages of New Atkins for a New You and learning what has changed since I did this back in the '70s when I lived on hamburger patties and eggs. Lost weight then but didn't stick to it. Actually got down to 167 back in the mid '80s, but life gets in the way and I let it. So here I am with 100+ pounds to lose AGAIN. Would love to see it gone by the time I retire in October 2013. Good luck to everyone and I'll stay in touch. Thanks for all the inspiration.
Whoops - forgot my goal. Guess I have to shoot for July 4th now. I weigh 273 now, but am hoping for a drop on Monday, so let's say 15 more pounds by July 4 on top of whatever I lose by Monday. I'll check back in and let you know how I did. And I'm not even close to rewarding myself for anything, but I do need to clean out that underwear drawer.

Last edited by iminit4me; 05-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot my goal
iminit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07

What a great idea for a challenge - may I join?

I will be away Monday, so I'll weigh tomorrow and that will be both my start weight and Memorial Day weight, and I'll set a goal from there.
Jennifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #22

My start weight/Memorial Day weight is 147.5.

My main goal is to be binge free between now and July 4th, but my wish list goal is to be back to my New Years's weight of 141 (or below ) I'm also going to try to stay off of the scale until then.

Tuesday is our wedding anniversary and our tradition is to stay at a nice hotel here in town for Memorial Day. So we will be traveling a whole 8 miles from home to hang out at the pool here. We still get away, but don't have to deal with holiday travel. Eating won't be great, but I'm really going to try not to over do.

Hope everyone has a nice, safe, relaxing weekend!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosinitwithGrace
Stats: 216.3/208.3/175
WOE: Low Carb Living.
Start Date: 6/8/13
I have had a hetic work week.. so stressed..
I been cheating at night with a snack, I have to stop !!!!!!!!!!!1
scale goes up down, up down..
im trying. still doing the gym.. thats why im so tired..
Happy Memorial Day!
LosinitwithGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Happy Memorial Day everyone! This morning I weighed in a 262.2. I surpassed my Memorial Day goal. My next goal is 10 lbs. by the 4th of July...that would be 252 ( some how putting it in writing makes it more official.) I know the weight loss will slow down , but I'll plan on 10 lbs. anyway. Hope you all are doing well!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #25

Had a nice relaxing weekend, but I confess I'm already stressed thinking about work tomorrow Not good.

My eating was so much better than I thought it would be, so I'm proud of myself (pats back). Drinking, well, we won't talk about that but that was better than I thought it would be too. So all in all the weekend was a success as far as eating & drinking are concerned. Tomorrow is our anniversary and dinner at Morton's Steakhouse.

Grace - Be prepared with good snacks like cheese or pepperoni or cherry tomatoes when the urge arises. WTG on the working out!

beachchick - Congrats on surpassing your goal!! 10 lbs is a very reasonable goal for 4th July.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
hez
Junior LCF Member

Welcome, iminit & Jennifer! Beachchick, that is so awesome! congrats on beating your goal.

I weighed in this morning at 320. Two pounds short of my goal. Eight pounds in 2.6 weeks is better than a kick in the pants I guess.

My goal for the fourth of July is to lose 15 more pounds, which will take me down to 305. I'm going to pretty much do what I've been doing on the diet (minus that anniversary dinner last week) and try to be more consistent with the exercise.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
May I join you? I've always wanted to find a "home" on a challenge thread.

Today was Memorial Day and I weighed 251.

I vow to lose at least 10 lbs by July 4th. I would go for more but I have my 30th anniversary and a vacation coming up soon. Vacation June 1 through 10 and my anniversary is June 7.
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Lookit ever'body rockin'! Sorry for not posting more, folks. Welcome, LosingKitty!

I missed my Memorial Day goal; but not because I did anything 'wrong' in my estimation. This ol' body just needs some more shaking up.

With that in mind - I'm going to set my Independence Day goal at what I think is a modest 10 pounds; a little more fat, a little more water and a little more exercise, getting better all the time - still feeling fantastic, I think I can do 10 pounds by then, which would make my 7/4 goal: 374.5. Onward!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #29

LosingKitty!!
Happy Anniversary a few days early! 30 years - wow!! DH & I celebrated our 19th on May 29th.

hez - 8 lbs in 2 weeks is great!

Hildebeest - I think 10 lbs by July 4th is a great goal.

My goal is to be binge free until the 4th, but I sort of failed already. Yesterday I let work stress get to me, and after having birthday cake at work and a huge dinner out that included dessert, I ate 2 pieces of lemon blueberry cake when I got home (threw the rest away). I told myself that I can always start again tomorrow (for the billionth time), and was going to stuff whatever I could into my mouth before midnight. I literally had a spoon and the jar of peanut butter in my hands ready to go, but somehow came to my senses and stopped.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LosingKitty
Stats: 298/206.5/145
Thanks for the welcomes!
I posted then just disappeared!

Well after vacation and anniversary I weighed 256.5 today!

So far I am up 5.5 lbs
I have 3 weeks and 2 days until July 4th. My original stated goal was 241 so I'm not going back on it- I will try to get as close as I can!
I promised to take the DH out to a Steakhouse for Fathers Day, I already warned him I might only eat my meat and salad.

How is everyone else doing?
LosingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote