Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Oh man Linda, sounds like to touch stuff going on there. Thanks for the link too.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Good morning everyone,
I finally feel like I am getting a roll going with my eating. It feel good to be eating healthy and on plan. I have been feeling great after my surgery, no pain at all (considering all the incisions I have, that's a miracle), and I'm sure eating healthy is helping that process. I go to the doctor tomorrow so I am hoping he will give me the OK then to atleast get back to walking.

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day.
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody!

I can't believe it is already February! Spring is right around the corner.

I went to my first professional sporting event last night. (NBA basketball game with Memphis grizzlies). We had a blast!!! I'm not a huge sports fan but can definitely see the appeal of attending games. The music/sound effects, entertainment (dancing cheerleaders & funny games) and the excitement of cheering for the team. The grizzlies were the underdogs but they won on overtime!!!
Oh, and I forgot how much I appreciate really tall men. The ones that looked short were 6'4"! One of the guys is 7'1" and it good looking. I won't feel too guilty because I don't think DH minded see the dancing cheerleaders.

We celebrated after the game with some sf ice cream. It wasn't "on plan" but I enjoyed every bite. I think that is a key for me....to enjoy it without the guilt helps me get back on plan with the next bite.

I probably won't be posting tomorrow. I have a minor out patient surgery (more woman stuff). How crazy is it that I'm looking forward to the effects of the anesthesia on my appetite??? I always have a big drop in appetite for about a week after general anesthesia.

LINDA....I'm so glad that you're pain free and doing great with your food plan!
I'm sorry for all that your friends and fur baby is going thru. Lifting a prayer for you and for all of them for healing and comfort.

LYNN...
Quote:
A special thank-you for the support you gave me in regards to my off-plan emotional eating! Those words meant so much to me, knowing that someone took the time to respond and care!

Because of that I was able to renew my fortitude and had a great DD yesterday. On track today on my UD logging my foods and watching the calories.
awwww...you are such a lovely person. I'm glad that our concern and words could help you. I hope that you're having an easy DD!

Please keep coming back to post. Your posts are always uplifting and encouraging.
THANK YOU so much for sharing about your daughter and for your kind words re. adoption. They mean the world to me.

STEPH... I'm proud of you for logging your food and for coming here to vent. It is great that the overage was only 440 calories. I know that would make me feel better. Often when I go off track I totally blow it out of proportion due to my all-or-nothing thinking. That gives me the green light to KEEP GOING since I "blew it".

I hope you're having a good day. You can do this!

Quote:
I will try to post personals when I can, but I might not be able to keep up with everyone I will try my best! But I found in the past I just couldn't keep up sometimes, and then I would stop coming to post. I've been told to keep posting anyways, so that's what I'm gonna do!
just do what you can when you can. No need to "keep up". We're glad you're posting!

TERESA...ok, I'm going into withdrawal! Is there a Teresa patch??? I need my fix! I really miss your posts when you get too busy but I do understand.
I'm glad you're eating well now but make sure you get back here for accountability!
Quote:
I tend to do well with eating when I'm stressing out about other stuff and trying to make deadlines. It's when the pressure is off that I think I'm most vulnerable.
Do you have any plans to make it through the vulnerable time? what has worked in the past?

VICKI...
Quote:
Why, oh why, do I do this to myself. I know what works for me from my past experience concerning food, but for some reason in my quest for increasing my knowledge and tweaking my nutrition in the most opportune way, I have gotten in to reading everything and anything I can get my hands on. Therefore, I have induced confusion if there is such a thing.

I am finding conflicting information for example, I can read The Paleo Answer and there is research that is quoted and referred to that contradicts Vegetarianism or Veganism, yet, I can read The China Study and find quotes and references from studies of how eating meat is bad for you. My head is spinning.
I could have written what you posted. I'm right there with you.

I've actually tried to come up with a list of foods that no one disputes as "healthy". Very few foods that someone doesn't say isn't good for you. I think I came up with organic romaine lettuce.
Since I can't survive on that I decided to quit reading and go with what has worked for me before.

GOT2GTMOVING....
Quote:
I am in better spirits today. My husband took the day off and took of some scrap metal so we should be ok until payday, and I should be getting a flex fund deposit tomorrow. Completed the 1 mile walk dvd on my break and now waiting for lunch - I am sooo hungry!
:jump joy: I'm glad your in better spirits and things are working out financially!

ALABAMA SUNSHINE...your menu sounds yummy. KUTGW!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
Hi-

I have been reading but didn't post much because I was doing VERY bad last month-eating carby junk and falling in a pit of emotional eating and lack of motivation. I'm doing better now and I appreciate all the posts you guys made-esp the one about how we wake up on plan because we don't have food in our mouth!

Linda-glad your recovery is going well. Hope your fur baby gets better soon. I have one with thyroid probs who developed an ear infection and had to take him to the vet yesterday for labs and other stuff. My other kitty has irritable bowel syndrome and when it flares up he is so sick so I try to keep him eating special food from the vet (of course, when he gets into food I have for some other feral kitties I feed that upsets his tummy and causes a flare up it makes me roll my eyes until I realize if I had to choose between food that tasted like tofu and sprouts vs. little debbies and ice cream I KNOW I chose the latter for far too long so how can I blame him for eating what isn't good for him?) Now I'm stressed even more due to financial issues.... oh well I'm staying out of the carby foods for now so that's good.

Alabama sunshine-sorry for your loss and I'm glad her family was so kind to you.

Teresa-sorry you're having some rough times-good luck with finding a yogurt maker. I don't eat it often enough so I just buy a cup or two at the store and then have to figure out how to eat it before the expiration date. I also prefer the whips yougurt-pretty sure that's probably not the best one for low carb but I like the light texture.

I lost a measly 6.8 pounds last month BUT according to the tape measure I lost 15 inches from all over my body last month (too bad it couldn't have been 15 pounds and 6.8 inches but hey..it is all going down, so it is all good, right?) My mom did the measuring as usual so I'm thinking she was being consistent and measured the same way and area on each body part. I checked the math 3 times because that number seems wrong (too high)..but my clothes are more loose so I'll take it.

Today the scale said 283.9. I was hoping to hit 282.3 by tomorrow so I could claim -50 at the support group meeting. 1.6 pounds by tomorrow morning isn't likely but I am going to try to get there-without doing any dehydration tactics or weird stuff like taking laxatives etc. I want to claim it so it will stick and not be due to some temporary water imbalance thing....does that make sense?

Hope everyone has a great day!

--Laura
pescacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Liz, so glad you had fun at the game. I knew you would and thanks for the prayers. I overdid it a bit today and now I'm really sore. I wasn't doing any lifting but used my arms a lot and now I'm paying the price. It's hard to stop doing things when you feel so good. And, Roger is more than willing to help me and keeps fussing at me to do things. I just went to the grocery store and came in the house and asked him to get the groceries and he did no problem. I told him I think I overdid it today and he fussed at me saying "I thought you were a smart women?". I said "who told you THAT?" So, I just got a couple of movies, have dinner already made and am planning on watching movies tonight. It's my OA meeting but I think I need rest tonight more than the meeting.

Laura, there's absolutely nothing measily about 6.8 lb. You need to get credit for that.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 02-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #246
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Liz, too funny. I have found that between the opposing "diet/nutrition camps" that dairy is off limits too.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
Liz, missed you. Glad you are back. Oh, BTW I am doing better on my connection goals. I actually took a step of faith on Sunday at church and connected with the head of our drama team. She has been announcing that they need female members. So I told her I was interested and will come to check them out on Thursday.
for connections! So are you going tomorrow? I love drama/theater and all that kind of stuff---how fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
[B]FONDA[/:

TERESA....

Personally I have found that trying to find the good in the bad has been very healing. Dealing with my many preg losses (especially the late one) has been tough. but honestly I have found good in that. It has drawn DH and I closer. It has also made me realize that I am not a quitter and I will appreciate a child even more after so long and so many losses.
Yeah, I'm still struggling with this. I know for me a lot of it comes down to my relationship with God. I'm a big believer, just think I've been angry at Him for a long time. I know I need to work on that to find some peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Why, oh why, do I do this to myself. I know what works for me from my past experience concerning food, but for some reason in my quest for increasing my knowledge and tweaking my nutrition in the most opportune way, I have gotten in to reading everything and anything I can get my hands on. Therefore, I have induced confusion if there is such a thing.

I am finding conflicting information for example, I can read The Paleo Answer and there is research that is quoted and referred to that contradicts Vegetarianism or Veganism, yet, I can read The China Study and find quotes and references from studies of how eating meat is bad for you. My head is spinning.

I even mentioned in an earlier post that I was a Flexitarian! I guess, what difference does it make. I need to find what is right for ME and only ME.

Whatever my food plan is covers the physical aspect of my eating, but I still need to address my emotional and spiritual aspect too. So, I am going to do this with OA for now. I tried OA before and am still in a 12 step program. However, I need to define my "abstinence". Essentially what I have been doing despite the various nuances of an eating plan, I am staying away from sugar(s) and white/wheat flour(s).

On that note, I need to be gentle with myself as I rediscover what the heck I want to accomplish and how I am going to do that.

I am not sure if this made any sense to any of you, but it does to me.
Do what's right for you. Listen to your body---it will tell you what it needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2getmoving View Post

I am an emotional eater as well. Trying very hard to overcome it.

I am in better spirits today. My husband took the day off and took of some scrap metal so we should be ok until payday, and I should be getting a flex fund deposit tomorrow. Completed the 1 mile walk dvd on my break and now waiting for lunch - I am sooo hungry!

b- 3 scrambled eggs w/butter
l-chicken thighs (2) and green beans w/butter
s/d - vienna sausage and green beans w/butter
Glad you are feeling better and have found a way to take care of yourself in a healthy way---where there's a will there's a way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama sunshine View Post
Hi,I just drink my water plain most of the time,but if I need a taste to keep drinking I put a little lemon juice in it.

Breakfast was bacon and eggs
lunch grilled chicken leg quarter and collard greens

dinner grilled chicken and greens
Why do I keep forgetting to put lemon in my water? I'm now out of lemons but need to put them on my grocery list. Looks like you're doing well with eating---how are you feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbMe View Post
Hello Ladies!

Teresa: : Miss you, my dear! Hope the work stress eases soon! I've been there done that with job deadlines and sometimes it seems like it will never end!
ahhh, thanks.

Quote:
Woohoo

I'm having a great, on plan day. God is really speaking to me today about having faith in time of adversity. Yesterday I got really down because my cousin's best friend who I've met and spent time with found out she has stomach cancer. The tumor is so large that it is wrapped around an artery and they cannot do anything but chemo and don't know yet what the prognosis is but it doesn't sound good. Then, the lady who lead my ladies bible study told me her brother who we have been praying for is trying to get into an experimental treatment program. He had melanoma and had his leg amputated last year. I don't know any more except that you don't fly somewhere to try to get into an experimental treatment program unless there is no hope. Then there was the horrific accident here in Florida. And, my baby, Romeo (our cat) who is a diabetic and had his colon removed has been having diarrhea for over a month and has been on several rounds of antibiotics and numerous tests, we are trying different food and then next week if that doesn't work he will be scoped. BUT, God is in control and it is easy to have faith in the good times but this is where the rubber meets the road. So, I am just trusting God to work these things out.

Whew, I didn't expect to say all that. Off to my ladies Bible study soon.

Theresa, did you decide on a yogurt maker?
I'm so sorry about all the sad things going on and I sure hope they find out what is going on with your kitty and can help him!

Nope, no time to do much more investigating with the yogurt maker but I hope to do some more research this weekend and get one ordered! Even the more expensive models would save me a lot of money I think, plus I can make full fat yogurt which is pretty hard to find around here.

Quote:
Good morning everyone,
I finally feel like I am getting a roll going with my eating. It feel good to be eating healthy and on plan. I have been feeling great after my surgery, no pain at all (considering all the incisions I have, that's a miracle), and I'm sure eating healthy is helping that process. I go to the doctor tomorrow so I am hoping he will give me the OK then to atleast get back to walking.

Hope everyone is doing well. Have a great day.
Do you use coconut oil at all? I'm one of those people that it doesn't do all kinds of miraculous things for---no weight loss, energy, etc, but it did really really help with quick healing for me after my last surgery. I plan on using it again after this next one.

So in regards to surgery----how long will it be until you can comfortably sleep on your side or stomach? That is one of the things I hate most about surgery. Although I primarily sleep on my back, I always have to start out for some reason on my side or stomach to get comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
Hey everybody!

I can't believe it is already February! Spring is right around the corner.

I went to my first professional sporting event last night. (NBA basketball game with Memphis grizzlies). We had a blast!!! I'm not a huge sports fan but can definitely see the appeal of attending games. The music/sound effects, entertainment (dancing cheerleaders & funny games) and the excitement of cheering for the team. The grizzlies were the underdogs but they won on overtime!!!
Oh, and I forgot how much I appreciate really tall men. The ones that looked short were 6'4"! One of the guys is 7'1" and it good looking. I won't feel too guilty because I don't think DH minded see the dancing cheerleaders.

We celebrated after the game with some sf ice cream. It wasn't "on plan" but I enjoyed every bite. I think that is a key for me....to enjoy it without the guilt helps me get back on plan with the next bite.

I probably won't be posting tomorrow. I have a minor out patient surgery (more woman stuff). How crazy is it that I'm looking forward to the effects of the anesthesia on my appetite??? I always have a big drop in appetite for about a week after general anesthesia.

TERESA...ok, I'm going into withdrawal! Is there a Teresa patch??? I need my fix! I really miss your posts when you get too busy but I do understand.
I'm glad you're eating well now but make sure you get back here for accountability! Do you have any plans to make it through the vulnerable time? what has worked in the past?
Yes, I sell the Teresa patch for 19.99 for a 3 day sample pack!

I am also not into sports...at.all. But---I love going to see an actual game. It can be little kids, high school or professional---and pretty much any sport---I don't care. The action, crowd, enthusiasm, whatever---I just love the whole environment! Glad you had a good time!

Good question on making it through the vulnerable time...well my plan had been to start changing over to the Optimal Diet kind of concept starting today but I realized that is just too much stress for me as making any big changes to how I eat can easily throw me off when I'm not stressing. So I'm postponing this until next week. That way I can do some reading and reacquaint myself with the plan and do some shopping, food prep, etc. Since I'm almost through the majority of the stress and not much to finish up tonight (the rest will have to be done at the office tomorrow) I decided to make some pb chocolate chip muffins since I don't have much in the way of sweets prepared right now (which sadly can be a big set up for me). And I figured this might be the perfect dessert to have when I'm feeling the need to eat another 1/2 lb of peanut butter.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #248
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescacat View Post
Hi-

I have been reading but didn't post much because I was doing VERY bad last month-eating carby junk and falling in a pit of emotional eating and lack of motivation. I'm doing better now and I appreciate all the posts you guys made-esp the one about how we wake up on plan because we don't have food in our mouth!

I lost a measly 6.8 pounds last month BUT according to the tape measure I lost 15 inches from all over my body last month (too bad it couldn't have been 15 pounds and 6.8 inches but hey..it is all going down, so it is all good, right?) My mom did the measuring as usual so I'm thinking she was being consistent and measured the same way and area on each body part. I checked the math 3 times because that number seems wrong (too high)..but my clothes are more loose so I'll take it.

Today the scale said 283.9. I was hoping to hit 282.3 by tomorrow so I could claim -50 at the support group meeting. 1.6 pounds by tomorrow morning isn't likely but I am going to try to get there-without doing any dehydration tactics or weird stuff like taking laxatives etc. I want to claim it so it will stick and not be due to some temporary water imbalance thing....does that make sense?

Hope everyone has a great day!

--Laura
Hi Laura---I'm so glad you came back!! I think 6.8 lbs is fabulous---especially if you weren't totally focused and on plan! You know, when things are rolling along smoothly--it's nice...but all the learning comes with the stuggles and learning how to pick ourselves back up and move forward. Maintaining is soooooo hard so I tend to think those struggles along the way help to get us prepared for that! And 15 inches?? Seriously?? That is incredible and I would so take that over 15 lbs anyday! Truly that is really great and tells me that you probably didn't do as horrible during the month as you think you did.

Quote:
Liz, so glad you had fun at the game. I knew you would and thanks for the prayers. I overdid it a bit today and now I'm really sore. I wasn't doing any lifting but used my arms a lot and now I'm paying the price. It's hard to stop doing things when you feel so good. And, Roger is more than willing to help me and keeps fussing at me to do things. I just went to the grocery store and came in the house and asked him to get the groceries and he did no problem. I told him I think I overdid it today and he fussed at me saying "I thought you were a smart women?". I said "who told you THAT?" So, I just got a couple of movies, have dinner already made and am planning on watching movies tonight. It's my OA meeting but I think I need rest tonight more than the meeting.

Laura, there's absolutely nothing measily about 6.8 lb. You need to get credit for that.
Please take care of yourself and take it slow! I know that feeling of wanting to get back out and do things for yourself but don't risk splitting open an incision or something worse! Just enjoy yourself and let Roger pamper you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Liz, too funny. I have found that between the opposing "diet/nutrition camps" that dairy is off limits too.
If dairy is off limits...I am dead! But I've always been one to push the envelope so I think I'll be keeping my dairy.

Gosh, I think I am finally pretty much caught up! I've missed you ladies! You know I have pretty much read or posted on this board every day for the last 5+ years...through good and bad times...and whenever I can't check in I always feel like I am going to slip away and get off track---well I can actually get pretty far off track even when I am here but I mean completly off track. So I need to make sure that even when I'm stressing I find a few minutes to check in....I think it kind of 'centers' me.

OK---for the first time in quite a few days I think I am going to just go relax and get to bed early....yay! Hey, actually I think I will go take a nice bubble bath first. Sometimes it's the little things! Night all!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Evening Ladies!

I'd like to report that I've been on program and logging my food so far this week and feeling sucessful!

I hope to make the saying "sucess breeds sucess" ring true for me! After thinking about last Friday, it was definitely an emotional thing and I also don't do well with feeling deprived! But it's behind me for now! I'm on track for a sucessful JUDDD week!

I did enjoy yesterday's UD with a evening out with some friends at Applebees. I really appreciate a menu with calories posted! I wish more places would post on their menu. It certainly takes the guess work out of making a selection!

Teresa: Welcome back! It's so good to hear from you!

About yogurt makers, I'm pretty much old school so I don't know much about the features of new yogurt makers! So I probably won't be able to help you much. But here are some thoughts/comments.

I definitely wouldn't get the one with individual jars. They are a hassle. I mean you flavor your yogurt after it is cold anyway so why bother with the jars!

I always thought that the thickness had more to do with the starter and adding powder milk to the milk base than the temperature of incubation. I know the tartness is absolutely controled by the incubation time, 4-6 hours for a mild flavored yogurt.

When I was making mine regularly, I always used the same heavy pan and set the stove at the same temperature. The process got to be routine and easy because I knew how long it took to bring it to an almost boil and how long it took for the temperature to go down before before adding the starter etc.

So the process I used went like:
  • Heat the milk (% fat that you want) to almost boiling (use a thermometer) to kill off any bacteria that may interfere with the fermentation process. Also add some dry milk powder (for extra thickness) and even some sweetner if you don't like tart yogurt.

• Let the milk cool down to a certain degree, take some out, gently whisk in starter, and then put it back into the milk mixture and whisk gently again.

• Place in prewarmed yogurt maker and incubate for the desired time. I liked 6 hours and then gently whisk and refrigerate. Viola, yummy yogurt!

HTH

Linda: I'm sorry you are going through such faith testing challenges! I hope your kitty gets better fast! Our pets do become our best friends and I know how emotional it can be when they get sick!

I can relate to you being eager to get back to your routines, but they will be there when your ready! Most importantly take care of yourself and give yourself the time and love you need to heal. Sounds like your doing great with your eating plan and setting goals! Keep it UP! We can do this!!!

Laura: From one dieter to another, a 6.8 pound loss is NOT measily! You should be proud of yourself! Keep up the good work and post often!

Liz: I'm glad you enjoyed the game! The excitement is contagious, isn't it? I will be sending prayers your way as you have your surgery tomorrow! Any surgery is certainly traumatic and I hope you have a smooth and easy recovery. Please take care!

I like your attitude about having a treat now and then. My ex-MIL always made such a big deal about having a piece of cake or mayo on a sandwich. Used to drive me nuts to the point where I wanted to binge. Happy now that I've moved past that point in my life

I always enjoy your posts and will miss them while your recovering. In the meantime, take care!
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi ,prayers go out to you that are going through such sad troubles,but I know God is a healer.

Still on plan finished the evening out eating hot wings and wanted something sweet so bad.But I stayed with the wings and drinking water all day.Temptations but I got to stay commited.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaiyce
Stats: 262.9/174/144
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 21, 2011
Hi there,
Just a quick hello, I hope you are all doing well. I am in the thick of the last two days of planning before the event and wow it's insane! I am doing well, sticking to plan good....but it's sure tempting around all the junk food at these planning meetings!
Teresa- thanks or the heads up with the apple, I will do that
Take care everyone
Jaiyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #252
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! It's Thursday!!

Lynn---thank you so much for all the info on the yogurt maker! My boss has one and the process you described sounds just like what he does. Hmmm, I was really hoping for something where I didn't have to do anything but just dump the stuff in---kind of like a bread maker. Maybe there isn't such a thing? I'll definitely be doing some more investigating this weekend. On the multiple jars I'm glad to hear your thoughts on that---that is exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if maybe there wasn't some other benefit but if its simply to make different flavors I'm not interested. Plus---that's just more dishes which I hate!!

Yay on having a fantastic JUDDD week and on understanding what led to the struggle last week. So how will you address a similar emotional issue in the future? I'm not quizzing you--I seriously need ideas! Most emotional things I can see coming so then I have some strategies that I can employ (if I choose to ) but sometimes I'm reacting before I really even realize that it's emotional eating. So I would love to hear suggestions and ideas on how to deal with that if you have any!

Winifred---good for you for overcoming that craving!! So do you not eat/drink any kinds of sweets (non sugar of course) at all?

Jaiye--so the big day is almost here! I wish you TONS of success!! Oh my gosh those meetings and events with tons of easy to grab goodies all around---especially when you are probably going through a ton of emotions and stress---are so hard to avoid. Bravo for you!!

Liz--- for your surgery today. Please check in as soon as you can! I wish that anesthesia had that affect on me. Anymore when I wake up from surgery the first thing I want to do is eat!

OK---back to work. When this day is done I will feel a million lbs of stress off my shoulders. Of course it will be replaced with more but only about a 1/2 million so I can deal with that.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone, I just got back from my doctor's appt. He removed the sutures. There were just 3 on each side. The rest are internal and disovlable. I have one more week of taking it easy and then can do a little exercise not involving arms after that.

Liz, hope your surgery goes well. You've been through so much with this female stuff. I'm praying for good results.

Teresa, hope your day at work goes well. It stinks that you have so much pressure in your job.

Jaiyce, that's tough to have to resist all the goodies. Stay strong and STEP AWAY FROM THE TABLE.

Wini, I can so relate to wanting something sweet. L glutamine is suppose to help the sweet cravings. What helps me is to have a sweet diet drink when I feel like that, something like diet A&W root beer or diet cream.

Lynn, so glad you are feeling succesful. Success DOES breed success.

Laura, you may not have eaten as healthy as you wanted last month but you are not BAD. Why do we say that to ourselves? I do it too. This is not a moral issue yet I berate myself when I eat off plan.

Fonda, Vicki, Steph, what's going on?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Ladies, Happy Thursday!

It is Spring-like here today and having extra sunlight puts me in a happy mood! WOE is good today and it's an UD. I try to do moderate carbs because I have missed them so in the past with other programs! On DDs I do very low carb and mostly protein cause it fills me up! Here is my menu for today:

B: 2 scrambled eggs, double-fiber toast, pat of butter!
L: Ham salad, apple
D: Short ribs, 1/2 cup of brown rice, sugar snap peas
SN: Orange protein shake

Hitting the books and wishing this quarter were over already (only on week 4)!

Teresa: Good choice on delaying the start of your plan! To ensure success on any plan, I first have to get psyched up for it! I study it, plan menus, plan exercise, plan the start date, visualize success for a couple of weeks before starting.

While on the topic of emotional eating, I was in self-analysis mode today at your kind suggestion and I got a bit of clarity.

I found that indulge in emotional eating particularly at these times:

Level 1: Food just tastes good, feels good in my tummy, and brings comfort.

Level 2: I'm feeling deprived for some reason and it builds up to the point that I gotta quell my emotions with food. Not enough ME time, feel put upon, don't like the food I'm currently eating, work stresses just to name a few scenarios.

Level 3: Gotta have it NOW! For me, this occurs when there has been some conflict with another PERSON! There is a situation where I feel like I have been treated unfairly and instead of having a face to face, I eat instead! I can be full but starving at the same time! This comes on in an instant and is very hard to control.

I've heard the first step in healing is acknowledgement! I also have a treat ready for those times I am feeling deprived to keep things from getting out of hand. Right now, my go-to treat is a small piece of homemade SF fudge that's in the back of my freezer. Even with all this analyzing, and planning I know there will be times when I will still struggle and fail! And I forgive myself!

Linda: I'm happy to hear that you are healing wonderfully! So what type of exercies do you do? I can tell from you avatar that exercise is a big part of your life.

Winifred: We all have sweat attacks now and then! Linda had a great suggestion about a SF A&W Rootbeer! That one seems to satisfy me and fill me up! I've also heard that if you're craving something sweet eat something sour. Maybe a dill pickle? Good job on staying on track!!

Jaiyce: D-day is almost here! I wish you tremendous success and I look forward to reading more of your posts! Wow, you're doing great on plan with all those temptations and stresses! You rock!

Last edited by LowCarbMe; 02-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Mispelling
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ladies, Happy Thursday!

Level 3: Gotta have it NOW! For me, this occurs when there has been some conflict with another PERSON! There is a situation where I feel like I have been treated unfairly and instead of having a face to face, I eat instead! I can be full but starving at the same time! This comes on in an instant and is very hard to control.

Linda: I'm happy to hear that you are healing wonderfully! So what type of exercies do you do? I can tell from you avatar that exercise is a big part of your life.
:
Thanks for posting this. This is me right now.
I almost went out to the store to get binge food just now. I got angry with Roger, am angry because my implants donít seem to be smaller but the surgeon tells me they will be when the swelling goes down, I have someone coming to clean in the morning and I still have to pick up AND to top it off Romeo just peed on the bed and now I have to wash the bedspread and sheets which I just did so I didnít plan on doing that. He has been sick so I know he canít help it but it was the final straw. I got my keys and started to go out the door but stopped. What will food do for this situation? Nothing, so Iím just sitting with these feeling and will get up early tomorrow morning to do the big pickup. The good thing about it is my friend is the one cleaning so if I donít get it all picked up I can enlist her help. But I hate paying for picking up and not cleaning but it is what it is today and being that I still have restrictions I need to take it a little easier. Iím going to go to bed soon. Itís just 8:45pm and I am tired and pissed off and want to eat so I think in about a half hour I will go to bed and get up about 6am to pick up.
Whew, I needed to get that out.
I teach Spinning classes, a class called Bodyvive which is a low impact aerobics class (30 min cardio/30 min, strength) and a class called Silver Sneakers for senior adults which is muscular strength and range of motion.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetie_pie
Stats: 249.5/228/165
WOE: Atkins / low carb
Start Date: May 2010/re-start Feb 20. 2012
Hey everybody,

Wow, you are a busy group! It's just past midnight, and I just walked through the door. I wish I had an hour or so to sit here & catch up, and try to get to know everyone better on this board. But I'm bushed.

I've had a rough week. I've been trapped in a terrible cycle, and I've been here many times before. Whenever I decide, "This is it! I'm gonna lose the weight!", I do well for a bit, and then panic mode sets in and I binge.

I've been doing well through the day, but when nighttime hits & I'm all alone, I start to go crazy, and I completely sabotage my whole days work. (And it isn't because I'm not eating enough during the day, because I am).

I sent Linda a 'help me!' email last night (I'll post it below, with her response). So all day I kept thinking, "OK. Here's what I'm gonna do to make sure this never happens again." All day I kept making new plans in my head, determining that things were going to be different "this time".

Tonight, while I was driving along, & making more plans, God whispered in my ear, "Why don't you let me help you?"

Hmmmm. Now THERE'S a thought.

I realized that I've never really surrendered my eating to Him. I've spent my whole like trying to figure out how to fix things, blah blah blah.. and tonight I heard God say, "Give me the chance to work through you, and give you real victory."

I hope that this isn't too much for all of you. We are all at different places in terms of our weight loss, and we are all learning! This really came as a breakthrough for me today, so I thought I'd share.

So, it was a good, on plan night for me. My heart feels full, and it feels much better than my BELLY being full

Sending out love to you all. I will try to catch up & do personals tomorrow!

".. a year from now you will have wished you started today..."
sweetie_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Here's my "HELP ME!" email I sent to Linda, & her gracious response.

Hey Linda,

Could I ask you to pray for me? I'm in this horrible cycle. Whenever I decide, "This is it. I'm changing my eating for good", I end up going on these horrible binges, even worse than before! I have had McD's to eat for 3 days in a row now! I feel like food has been my "friend" for so long now, and I just don't want to give it up.

I need God to intervene, because I can't do this on my own.

I am going to go spend some time in prayer, then go to bed. I'll come back & update on the boards tomorrow.

xo,
Steph

Hey Steph,
I definitely will pray!!! I know EXACTLY what you mean. All I can say is keep on keeping on, remember that? It is true though. You cannot give up and all I can say is that even if you have one good day in between it is better than none. Then eventually you will get 2 good days and 3 and then even more. I, too, have been on this roller coaster ride. We’ve been in this together for a long time. What has really helped me is Overeaters Anonymous. It lines up with my spiritual goals and it helps me with every day life. Although not every one in OA is a Christian, the program was originally based on God and is very biblical. There are OA phone meetings but I’m not sure how the phone system works in Canada for you to do that. But, if you have iTunes, you can download OA podcasts for free. I am finally getting some control but before I did I was right where you are. Sometimes in order to make a change we have to hit a new bottom and it sounds like you are there. So, YAY, you are about to gain some control and get on a roll. The main thing is to not give up and not be ashamed or feel guilty if you fall. I would also encourage you to copy and paste your e mail to me on the LCF message board and I will copy and paste my reply to you there too. I say that because MANY people on that thread are struggling. Another thing that admitting our weaknesses and sharing does is it helps others not to be ashamed because they see that they are not the only ones. Share with me any time, even if when you fall because it is only then that you can release this.

Dear God, I lift up my dear friend Steph to you. She’s asking for your help and I know how that pleases you. You can do for her what she cannot do for herself. Help her today to not have willpower but to have Godpower to get control of her eating. Help her to turn to you in those times when she wants to turn to food. Remind her today that you are with her and all she needs to do is ask at that very moment she is tempted. Guide her today in your ways and accomplish what you have for her today. I am asking you to do the same for me today. And as your word says when 2 or more are gathered in your name you are there in the midst of us. I thank you that we can come together even over the internet. I ask this in Jesus’s name, amen.

Let’s be everything that God want us to be today!!!
Hugs,
Linda

Last edited by sweetie_pie; 02-02-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Yes my husband got me a diet mountain dew and it stopped the craving.Today was alot easier.Snack was vinegar and salt pork rinds,had some tuna salad twice and water.

I got a question how bad is a regular cough drop? I was so scared it was way too many carbs I didn't use one.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone,
Just a quick post because I'm suppose to be picking up right now. Steph thanks for sharing your struggle. It really helped ME and I hope that it might help the group to hear your honesty. It actually helped me in my situation last night when I got my keys and was ready to go out to the store to get binge food. I had to say to myself "remember the things you told Steph and put your money where your mouth is". So, I stayed onplan last night and no binge, HUGE VICTORY FOR ME.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #260
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning---it's finally Fridaaaaaayyyy!!!!!

Winifred---glad the cravings went away, that does make things a lot easier! On the cough drops I just did a quick search and there is an average of 15 cals in a Hall's cough drop and since I suspect that is all carbs that would be just about 4 carbs/grams sugar per drop.

Sweetiepie--- so night time is your danger zone....or is it being alone.....or a combo of both? How do you feel about being alone at night?

Linda---yay you on stopping a binge right in it's tracks!! That is soooo hard to do IMO. When it's the kind of binge where I'm going to go and 'procure' my binge food it's rare that I can stop it. I'm so grateful I haven't had one of those in quite awhile.

Lynn---your menu looks great!! So have you set some 'rules' around your UP days? Once I started adding in a lot of complex carbs I definitely had to make some rules for myself to stay in control....and as long as I follow them I do great.

Thank you so much for listing out your emotional eating triggers. I can relate to all of them. You know---the eating as an immediate response to getting angry, frustrated, hurt is new to me....or maybe I'm just identifying it. I have had several times in the last 6 months where I'm in a very heated exchange, or something really annoying or frustrating has happened, and I find my head going to food. That really kind of freaks me out. For the most part I *think* my emotional eating has come more after I have stuffed or ignored my feelings for a long time, or when I'm finally past the 'worst' of the emotional issue and my defenses are down---so these quick out of no where desires to just eat to deal with something is weird to me. It's almost always about anger of some kind. Strangely as intense as the desire is I can most of the time wait it out and not act out on it---but I just hate it that that is where my head goes. Unfortunately I have a job where things can get heated quite a bit.

Well---I suppose I should get some work done. Today looks to be pretty light on meetings so I'm hoping to get some other things caught up so I won't feel the need to come in this weekend.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much Teresa ,I'll just use if I really need one,but I'm gonna get some sugar free as soon as I get out.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi all, another victory today!! Iím having a great day! House is clean. I went to visit a former coworker for lunch and actually did not eat lunch because we only had 1/2 hr. and I wanted to talk. I had not even eaten breakfast because I had to get to the eye doctor in a hurray as I thought one of my contacts had rolled up into my eyelid (itís fine). So, by the time I finished my visit it was 12:15pm and I was starving. My first thought was to go to the closest drive thru I could find but instead I went to Publix to the deli and ordered a lowcarb wrap with Boarís Head low sodium roast beef and swiss cheese with mustard and veggies. It was so big I only ate 1/2. So, after last nightís victory I was able to resist today. Thank you God. God is good!!!
Success DOES breed success.

Teresa, your job sounds so stressful. What is it that you do? Geez, no wonder you are clapping for Friday.

Vicki, don't make me come looking for you.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #263
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

I have been up since 3am. Woke up at that time or actually even a bit earlier yesterday, very annoying. I think even the cats are annoyed by this. Food has been kind of weird this week though, too much protein I think, so it probably just caught up with me. I will be remedying that today.

Linda---Yay on another successful day! Sounds like you truly had an intervention the other day!

Wow, you have a deli that has lc wraps? How cool. We used to have a little bar/grill place where we would go for lunch that had them but when they changed owners they got rid of them.

On the breasts---you are only like 1 week out, right? I haven't had that surgery but I know from all of my other ones that I really couldn't get a good feel for the final results for about 4-6 weeks, and even then swelling continues to reduce and things kind of shift around so hopefully that will be the case with you and you will ultimately be very pleased with your results!

What do I do---well, in a nut shell I have to tell a lot of high level managers what they are doing wrong, what they need to do to fix it, and hold them accountable to do it. I'm not a very popular girl at work! People get very pissed for some reason when you tell them how to run their business! But at the end of the day I think we all understand that I have to do what I do to protect our customers and our company---so although there can be several heated discussions before we all get on the same page, we usually do.

Winifred---so are you getting a cold or some of the crud that is going around? I've had lots of peeps at work out for various flu or virus kinds of things...and of course at least a few people at any given time have nasty colds.

OK---so the weather is soooo whacked out this winter. Earlier this week we hit the 60's---pretty much unheard of for this time of year. We stayed in the mid to upper 50's all week until yesterday I think it was upper 40's, not sure. But right now it is snowing....well, kind of snowing. There was a light rain when I woke up, that turned into gloppy snow, and now I think it might be turning into ice not exactly sure. I need to run some errands today that I've been putting off all week so I better check the weather and see when my best chance is to get out there and do it!

Other than errands, my intent is to stay home alllllllllll weekend....and I couldn't be happier! I have lots of cleaning and stuff to do but even that sounds like so much more fun than work right now!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone,

Teresa, thanks for the words of encouragemnt about the surgery. I know you are right. I need to be patient. Wow, your job really is stressful all the time just by the nature of the work. I was up in the middle of the night too last night and couldn't sleep. I even started grazing a bit (string cheese, fruit) in hopes that it would put me back to sleep. I woke up with a funny taste in my mouth. Then I found the apple core and string cheese wrappers Other than that I had a good day with my eating. Teresa, do you play words with friends on FB? I just sent you a request. It's like scrabble and you don't have to play at one sitting. It can be an ongoing game. I'm going to send your mom a request also. I just started it yesterday and it's fun.

I can't wait to get back to exercise but I cannot do it until Thursday. I can then do the ellipitical without the arms, recumbent bike or treadmill at the gym. I go back to work on Monday but the doctor already warned me that I will be tired.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick pop-in..

Managed to stay on plan ALL DAY yesterday! Right 'till the very end! And this morning the scale is down another pound. So, I'm gonna try to make it 2 days in a row today.

Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Ladies!

I was MIA yesterday cause some days I am so busy! DH works in the Bay Area through the week and comes home on the weekends. As a result, I am basically a single mom/student through the week and things get hectic at times!

Foodwise, I am on plan! I am getting excited to share my results on Monday. I have to say that this week (week 4) things are much easier with JUDDD! It's a hard program to acclamate to but once you are there, not so bad.

I am enjoying some of the other benefits that JUDDD buddies talk about such as more energy, less stiffness (alot), happy attitude. I can keep my DD right below 500 calories and sleep very well at night. Though on UDs I can be hungry at night and "need" something to help me sleep.

Teresa: Wow, you do have alot of job responsibility and stress! I hope when you come home, you can check it all at the door and chill!

Well, complex carbs do not bother me. I just measure my portion and am good. But give me WHITE flour and I'm done for. My kryptonite is sweet breads and cookies. I even have control issues with LC cookies so it's just best if I avoid them.

Steph: Don't think your alone with your struggles with food. Things can get better, I promise! I'm so glad you shared this and turning to GOD is the best help you can get.

During my dark days, my lonely days, I had major control issues. We are talking about a whole cake, a dozen of large cookies, 1/2 gallon of icecream (not at once though )

And now, although I try to stay away from cookies, I no longer binge or feel compelled to do so. My relationship with food has drastically changed and yours can too!

I hope you post more about your progress and remember to take baby steps. We are all here to support each other.

Linda:: I am so happy you were able to stay on plan in your time of stress! It sounds like your getting you groove on! I'm cheering for you! We can do this!

Wow, you really are into the exercise. I'm sure it keeps you plenty busy and in shape! How long have you been an instructor and how did you get there? I'm sure it helps you stay on your plan

Ladies, I have to tell you I don't think I would have been able to find my groove with JUDDD without you! My typical behavior is to get jazzed about a new diet, start and when things are hard, or I don't loose fast enough, or I'm bored, a loose interest. You have reached out and challenged me, caused me to think things through, and provided lots of motivation - support you can't get from anywhere else. THANK-YOU dear sisters.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[quote=sweetie_pie;15388419]Just a quick pop-in..

Managed to stay on plan ALL DAY yesterday! Right 'till the very end! And this morning the scale is down another pound. So, I'm gonna try to make it 2 days in a row today.
QUOTE]

Go Steph go

Quote:
Good Morning Ladies!
Wow, you really are into the exercise. I'm sure it keeps you plenty busy and in shape! How long have you been an instructor and how did you get there? I'm sure it helps you stay on your plan

Ladies, I have to tell you I don't think I would have been able to find my groove with JUDDD without you! My typical behavior is to get jazzed about a new diet, start and when things are hard, or I don't loose fast enough, or I'm bored, a loose interest. You have reached out and challenged me, caused me to think things through, and provided lots of motivation - support you can't get from anywhere else. THANK-YOU dear sisters.
I have been an instructor for over 5 years now. I had lost over 100 lb. about 6 months prior to that. My primary occupation (which I'm semiretired from) is as an Echocardiography Technologist but group fitness is my love. I started exercising at my highes weight and just increased as I could and then one day I just decided that I did it so well that I wanted to teach so I went for training and viola, here I am. I've gained back 40 of those lb. I'm ashamed to say and I need to take it off because teaching is becoming increasingly harder to do. I've worked too hard to throw it all away. I'm so glad you asked because I needed to write that statement right now. And you are right, support does help.

So, I'm telling on myself right now so that today doesn't turn into a binge. I made something yummy for lunch today. That is sometimes dangerous for me because if it tastes too good even though it's on my food plan, then I tend to just want more and overeat. Well, that's what I did today. I made a bowl of curry chicken salad. Whole foods has one that I duplicated the ingredients, chicken, mayo (I used light mayo), dried cranberries (I used apple sweetened cranberries), nuts, celery, chopped apple, basil and curry powder. I made a large bowl and had some in a lowcarb tortilla but just now I went out and finished off the rest of the chicken salad. It could be worse, much worse so I'm not beating myself up over it. But, I'm acknowleging that in the future this recipe is off my list unless I make one individual weighed and measured portion and even then I'm not safe right now. SO, lesson learned and tonight we are going to outback and I will have steak, baked sweet potato, 1/2 T coconut oil, green beans or mixed veg.

Later.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Lowcarbme (Sorry... I'm not sure of everyone's names yet!)
Thank you for the encouragement. I am also a 'gung-ho' type of person, and can fall off the wagon really quick. I'm glad you're finding your groove! Is there a link where I can read more about JUDD (so that you don't have to write it all out again ?)

Linda, Way to go in planning ahead fo tonight I did the same today, and I was thinking about it as I planned, that I learned that from you
Just keep pushing ahead. Enjoy your meal out

I am eating kale chips right now. Anyone ever had them? I made my first batch yesterday, then got in the car to go somewhere. A little voice in my head said, "Check your teeth in the mirror." Well, I had little bits of bright green kale stuck everywhere! LOL

KALE CHIPSI took a whole bunch of kale (about 17 cups), peeled off the leafy parts (you don't want to eat the coarse middle vein). Put them in a huge bowl, and I mixed in 1 tbsp of EVOO, and sprinkled a cajun garlic salt on top, and a little bit of parmesan. Lay out on a cookie sheet in the oven on 350F for about 20 minutes (or until crispy). MMMM! Salty & kind of crunchy, and GOOD for you!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody

Sorry I'm not feeling up to doing personals today.

Thanks for the kind words/well wishes for my surgery. It went well but I'm starting to feel worse today. Lots of nausea which I think is from the antibiotics. It helps when I eat so I've been eating too much.

I'm taking it easy today...no cleaning or cooking. DH is on his own. hahaha. He has to ask where the plates are. Thankfully the refrigerator is large enough that he should be able to find it

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
healthylowcarbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Hey Liz,

Thinking of you.. glad to hear that your surgery went well. Yes, DH will be just FINE while you get your rest !! Do whatever you need to do to make sure your body gets all the rest it needs. I'll pray that tomorrow is easier than today was

Today has been a hormonal nightmare. ARGHHH.. Food-wise I've done fine. The kitchen is closed for the night. But, it's 7:30 pm, and I'm entering my 'danger zone'. It's always been my 'treat' to sit down right about now, and enjoy whatever goodies I have stashed away. So this is when I start to really have a hankering for food.

Add PMS to the mix, and I'm a pretty crabby woman today!!! DH has already left to go read in his shed (man cave), and I don't really blame him!

So, I'm going to have myself a Crystal Light, watch a little TV, spend some time w/ God, then make it a point to be in bed early. If I stay up too late, then my risk of binging goes up exponentially.

Night ladies