Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #901
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Teresa, must have been circuit board overload that lead to the power outage. I saw that piece about the cookies baking, man, oh man.

Still on track. Too hot to cook tonight, even grilling. Thankfully I had roasted two whole chickens earlier in the week and have that left over. Sounds like chicken salad tonight.

After receiving the estimate for remodeling we decided to put the house back on the market. We had the house on the market for a few months, from Feb. to May but took it off to try the remodeling route. Now we will have to keep it clean again, ARGH.

5-28 260.4
6-28 243.4 down 17 lbs
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #902
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
hi all

sorry MIA again. I was in hospital. Had a few rough days but better now.
I plan to get on a serious woe starting tomorrow. I'm very bloated from IV fluids but I got a bad scare when I got on the scale.

I'll be back tomorrow to post more. I hope everyone is doing well
healthylowcarbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #903
Blabbermouth!!!

(((((((((((Liz)))))))))))) what happened?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
No Vickii,I'm disabled,not working but I could use two jobs because everythings so expensive these days.Yes Teresa thats me and DH.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #905
Blabbermouth!!!

Ah, Winifred. I may be trying you sleep cycle. I was up until 11 last night and am really tired this morning. I may be catching a nap this afternoon. I don't work during the summer because I am an instructor. I like the break.

Thought I would jump on the scale for kicks and giggles since I have been on plan for over a week now. No reward, WTH? 226
Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #906
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Evening ladies and happy Friday!

Liz--I hope you're OK! The scale can be a very scary thing. So let's do this sister---no need to let the scale scare us, we'll show it who is boss.

Vicki---yep, more evidence that the scale can be an evil thing. So the reward has to be how we feel and look. I think we all have to get away from looking to the scale for validation, ya know...?

Winifred---you are right, the cost of living is getting crazy and not sure when it's gonna let up. Are you doing anything fun this weekend?

Another chaotic but good day at work. By mid afternoon I had a nasty headache behind my left eye...I think too much time at my computer and too much time thinking too hard and the heat probably doesn't help anything. I have to go back to the office tomorrow to get some stuff finished up...blah, but I hate getting behind on everything because it just makes me dread Mondays even more when I'm behind so I'll suck it up and just go in. Hoping to get the zoo walk and/or the farmers market in tomorrow a.m. but it will depend on the weather. We had some nasty storms move through this afternoon/evening, not sure what it's supposed to do tomorrow.

Anyone have any fun plans for the 4th? Hope you all have a great night and even better weekend!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #907
Big Yapper!!!!

Just went to check out our forcast for the next week....how lovely.

Sat Hi: 105° Lo: 75°

Sun Hi: 104° Lo: 75°

Mon Hi: 101° Lo: 75°

Tue Hi: 98° Lo: 76°

Wed Hi: 101° Lo: 76°

Thu Hi: 101° Lo: 73°

Gosh, on Tuesday I better not forget my jacket, it looks like it's gonna be chilly!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #908
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Vicki---have you heard about this 'super HyVee' that they are building in Urbandale? I'm wondering if they are trying to compete with Whole Foods. Here's a review I just saw about it on the news:

"Every new store is special in its own way, but this is perhaps the most innovative store Hy-Vee has ever built,” Asche said. “We’ve visited retailers throughout the country, looking at different store formats, and we’ve taken the best concepts we’ve seen and adapted them to create a whole new shopping experience for our customers.”

The new store will house the first Market Fresh Grille. The full-service restaurant will have wait staff, order from a menu created by the store’s chefs as well as wines and craft beers.

The new store will also have a sushi bar with seating, a coffee shop/lounge area with stone fireplace, authentic Italian gelato, a fruit and juice bar, an oatmeal bar for breakfast, pizzas fired in a wood stone oven, a large wine and spirits shop, an expanded housewares section with a cooking demonstration area, and what Asche called “the largest selection of bulk foods in central Iowa.”

Sounds interesting but I think it would go over better in WDM, but I guess we'll see. It opens Aug. 14th.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #909
Blabbermouth!!!

Yea, I skimmed the info about the Hyvee, might be worth a trip. I am going to stay away from the scale because I ate an ice cream cone, a piece of pizza and some chips. Not bad, but off plan.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #910
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning!

Vicki--well, if you enjoyed it and didn't overeat, then I would say don't sweat it! Yeah, I will definitely be checking out the new store. I'm excited to see what they will carry in their bulk bins but none of the rest of it really trips my trigger--although it might be interesting. The oatmeal bar kind of cracked me up---seriously, how hard is oatmeal to make?! Can't imagine driving across town for that.

Liz---so how are you doing and what's your plan?

Speaking of plans----I have been doing a ton of reading lately about leptin and I'm getting very intrigued. There are so many different angles to the whole thing I'm not quite sure what I believe or what exactly I really even understand....but it is definitely interesting and might answer a lot of questions for me. I still get confused as to why I can lower my cals significantly for a decent period of time and not lose weight. When I try to do low carb like I did when I lost a ton of weight my body can't handle it---but the leptin thing might explain that as well. There are a lot of things that are clicking in my little brain right now...although some that aren't quite making sense. I'm wondering if all my yoyo'ing over the last several years hasn't created leptin resistance...and if so, the answer isn't lowering my cals or carbs (well, not exactly) but it's correcting the resistance which if indeed it exists correcting it would also alleviate a lot of other things too.... I always have said I think my hormones are out of whack---well, leptin is a hormone, so maybe I was right after all! I have been so entrenched in just reading about leptin and how it works that I haven't even explored any of the plans out there that are supposed to correct the resistance. I know that there was one that was big (maybe still is) on the board awhile back. It didn't sound particularly appealing to me at the time but I think I will check it out again as well as any others I can find. Honestly--I think if I can clear up a few more things about how it all works I really can create my own plan but I'm not quite there yet. What I like about doing some kind of plan to fix this is that it isn't forever---it's to correct the problem and then learn how to not damage it...but it's not a diet--I hate diets and I think they are the root of all evil when it comes to our issues with weight and health. Anyway---I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend continuing to dive into the science around this thing and then either find a plan or put together a plan that I think will 'fix' what might be broken based on what I've learned. That's really how I put a low carb plan together for myself---really learned and understood the science, figured out exactly how it applied to my issues, then how I needed it to fit with my life and the plan just kind of fell in place. Hopefully--this works the same way! Can you tell I'm excited! But I love finding and doing things that make sense---not just doing things out of desperation cause that always just backfires in the end.

OK---back to work so I can get out of here before the day is over!!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #911
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey ladies,

Thanks Vicki and Teresa I'm feeling much better now and ready to get serious with my woe.

My woe plan for now is to eat 3 "reasonable" meals with a small snack in the PM if needed. Having a scheduled meal time helps me tremendously. It helps me avoid the graze habit. Once I start to graze I have a hard time stopping

My concept of reasonable meals is to keep the grub to ONE plate in normal human portions. No feeding trough or fed bag for me.
I will eat mostly whole, healthy foods (which I actually prefer) but if I want a piece of pizza I will have it and not consider it a mortal sin. I would plan it with a salad and enjoy it.
Basically I'm considering nothing off limits. When I try to restrict or put foods in a naughty category I want them MORE. Then one bite and I feel like a failure. My "all or nothing" mentality has derailed me too many times.

My plan for today:
B: PB with apple slices, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, coffee
L: chicken, walnut, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar salad
S: spinach & mushroom omelet, small orange
optional snack: raw veggies with ranch dip
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #912
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.... YAY for getting a hyvee. It sounds interesting. Always good to have more selection/competition in the grocery/health food stores.

I've read some re. leptin. Although I don't remember most of it
Dr. Jack Kruse has a website that has a lot of interesting info. I don't think I can post a link here.

One of the things that he advocates to "reset" your leptin resistance is a minimum of 50g of protein at breakfast. Maybe that is what didn't appeal to you???

VICKI... You seem to be on a pizza kick lately. I would also avoid the scale due to sodium bloat.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #913
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw a recipe on a cooking show which I thought looked yummy. It is chicken quenelles. It would be a great way to increase the fat content of chicken breasts.

Ingredients
2 whole, boneless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Grated nutmeg to taste
1 egg
1 cup heavy cream
Directions
Cut the chicken meat into one-inch cubes and chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Put the chicken, salt and pepper, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and egg into a food processor. Blend thoroughly. Add the cream in small intervals through the funnel until well incorporated.

Bring a pot of water to the boil.

Fill pastry bag (zip lot bag) with chicken mixture. Pipe chicken mixture into simmering water at 1 inch intervals and cook for 4 to 6 minutes.

These dumplings can be served with your favorite pasta dish.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #914
Blabbermouth!!!

I am here, been a busy day. I will write more tomorrow. On plan today though thankfully.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #915
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Glad you are feeling better Liz.It was so hot here 104 and today is the 1st of July guess we will be 110 before the end of the month.Vicki you do a good job of staying on plan so you won't have any problem getting back in it.When I slip it takes me a week or two to get back.I got the worse willpower.Have a good Sunday,I'm gonna be home today Danny my Dh has stomach troubles this morning,he just needs to stop getting up at 2 or 3 am eating all that heavy food.I'll check back in later.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #916
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Happy July 1st! Yikes, the year is half over.

Winifred---this heat it horrible! I so want to get out and play and enjoy the summer but playing out in that 'pea soup' is not fun at all. Hope DH feels better soon!

Vicki---glad things are going well. Hope you are enjoying all your time with family!

Liz---I want to know if you make those dumpling things, they sound interesting. I remember that one low carb cook---can't remember his name now but he was on the food network years ago--making something like that. For some reason it grossed me out making that creamed meat concoction but once he cooked them up them looked good. I actually think he might have fried them...not sure. Anyway, I want a review.

HyVee is actually our main chain of grocery stores here and in a lot of the midwest, this one is just supposed to be bigger and better I guess. This chain has a pretty good health market in it, although it varies from store to store. I'm hoping this new one will have an even bigger selection in the health market but they didn't mention that so I don't know if what is going to make them 'better' is all the gormet kinds of stuff or what. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) it's not located in a part of the city that I really go to much so I'll have to make a special trip to check it out.

Leptin---after many many hours of researching---I GET IT!! Well, I kind of get it! Wow---I am just amazed at all the things that it does, and that it regulates, etc. And when we become resistant, well, that's where the problems lie. It's very similar to insulin resistance and although I haven't looked at the connection between the two--I'm fairly sure it exists. Look up pretty much any ailment you have and the connection between it and leptin, and you'll probably find a bunch of hits. I've been reading about leptin and sleep issues as well as leptin and psoriasis this morning---yep and yep, big connections. If I had any doubt that I'm leptin resistant---no doubts now, especially because of the psoriasis where it's pretty much a 99% connection. So in looking at all the leptin stuff, it kept taking me to the hypothalamus. For those that have done HCG or those like me that keep trying to figure it out---the hypothalamus is at the root of it according to Simeons but I could never figure out exactly how or why. Well, the answer is all about leptin. I now get why HCG works...after 3-4 years of trying to figure it out and having a zillion different thoughts on why it does (which were way off base--kind of) I now get it. There is a lady who has a book on this and a bunch of youtube stuff about why it works and the leptin connection. I wish I would have found these when I first started researching, but then again she only discusses it in relation to HCG and weight and there is so much more I might not have ever found so I guess I found it when I should. But anyway---I think she is really onto something. Unfortunately she doesn't really spell out the hypothalamus part (or at least not in anything I've read yet) although for those that understand the hypothalamus maybe thats not necessary but for me I had to go dig around and figure out the connection. And I get it.

So---I've been looking at the various leptin repair type plans out there and I have to say that I'm not impressed. Tons of meat/protein doesn't work well for me. Most of the other guidelines I already follow. So that leaves me with coming up with my own plan using what I've learned, or trying HCG--where I only have to eat a small amount of protein...actually only a small amount of everything! I have thought about doing the HCG protocol several times but didn't want to jump on the fad diet wagon and join those that seem to be constantly hopping off and on and using it like a crutch---it scared me. But I've always had a feeling that there was a whole lot more to it than just quick weight loss, I just couldn't figure out what it was and what this whole mysterious healing of the hypothalamus was that Simeons refers to, or why it's needed. Now that I get why it works, I'm ready to take the plunge. Or at least I think I am. I'm currently thinking through the pros and cons of doing HCG vs trying to modify one of the leptin reset plans and so far HCG is winning. The downside to the HCG is that I do agree with the FDA that there are some potential dangers--however I believe if used as intended and not abused it would not only be safe but have very positive affects. Abused---I think in the years to come we are going to see how dangerous this stuff can be and what the long term consequences will be to abusing a hormone...I'm afraid it won't be pretty. I think people think of it as a diet pill and a quick fix---and it is sooooooo not that.

OK---enough of my leptin ramblings. I need to go look at Simeons HCG plan and read that again as well as other HCG plans that I see have popped up over the last couple of years. If I do this--that means no peanut butter for a lonnnnnng time. Seriously, I'm going to have to think this through because I'm looking at it as a one time fix and if I'm going to do it, I better do it right.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #917
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey all

I can't believe it is already July! Hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk so I don't feel like going outside. It makes me SO grateful to have A/C.

I'm also feeling grateful today for my clothes dryer which has a wrinkle release cycle. it works so well that I don't have to iron anything:jump joy:

Is there anything you are feeling grateful for today?

I didn't stick to my plan of eating yesterday. I ended up eating more apples with PB. I adore apples but I guess I need to cut them out again for now.

TERESA....
I don't plan to try the quenelles (dumpling things) right now because DH is watching his calories but I'll let ya know if I try it out I think it would be a great atkins recipe due to the high fat content.

very interesting info on leptin and hcg, thanks for sharing. I've never read about a connection.

Please keep sharing your research/insight re. your plan selection.

I found these 5 tips for a "leptin" reset diet:
Quote:
1. Never eat after dinner Never go to bed on a full stomach – leaving a gap of 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast. This apparently allows enough time for optimum fat burning.
2. Eat 3 meals per day
In stark contrast to those programs that advocate eating 5-6 times a day, the leptin diet calls for a gap of 5 hours between eating. During the first 3 hours after a meal, the hormone insulin will be storing the energy from food – and our bodies are not fat-burning mode.
3. Do not eat large meals
Regular large meals leads to leptin and insulin resistance.
4. Eat a high-protein breakfast
This supports blood sugar levels throughout the day. Late afternoon energy crashes are often due to eating a breakfast high in carbohydrates and little protein. A high carbohydrate breakfast, combined with leptin resistance can lead to overeating.
5. Reduce the amount and glycemic index of carbohydrates consumed
This is not implying cutting out all carbs, but reducing, in particular starchy carbs. Top check whether too many carbs were eaten weigh yourself in the morning and at bedtime. If bedtime weight is more than 2 pounds over morning weight (and other rules) followed, then too many carbs were consumed.

Re. #4...eat high protein breakfast...according to what I've read the amount to shoot for is 50g of protein at breakfast.

Here is some info to help figure out 50g of protein.

Quote:
Beef

Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
Chicken

Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
Drumstick – 11 grams
Wing – 6 grams
Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
Fish

Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
Pork

Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
I could definitely do a 6oz steak, 6oz of tuna, or a hamburger patty with cheese which would give me over 40g

Re. the hcg diet....I've been very tempted to try this also. I'm just terrified that it would put me on a slippery slope with bingeing/restricting.
I've wondered if the hcg is responsible for the appetite suppression or if it is the result of ketosis which I think would occur on 500 calories per day (even if fruit is included)

WINIFRED...thanks. I hope your husband is feeling better.

VICKI.... YAY for staying on plan! :jump joy: are you still doing the fat flush?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #918
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....have you found anything re. leptin levels and fish oil?

I thought this was interesting....
Quote:
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005 Aug;289(2):R486-R494.
Dietary fish oil positively regulates plasma leptin and adiponectin levels in sucrose-fed, insulin-resistant rats.
Quote:
Insulin resistance and adiposity induced by a long-term sucrose-rich diet (SRD) in rats could be reversed by fish oil (FO). Regulation of plasma leptin and adiponectin levels, as well as their gene expression, by FO might be implicated in these findings.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #919
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey Liz!

I can easily do 50 grams of protein for breakfast---Greek yogurt is very high in protein so a couple of servings of that with pb would do the trick...unfortunately no dairy looks like the way to go when trying to reset leptin....so that leaves me with meat/eggs and I would be nauseous and wired like a crazy person if I ate that much of that kind of protein in the morning. Otherwise, I follow all the other rules pretty much all the time--with the exception of 3. Not exactly sure what they mean by small meals---I try to make mine so that I'm hopefully satisfied but not full when done but I don't know how to measure that as far as small, medium, large. I think my meal sizes are probably OK though....it's just that meat/eggs thing in the a.m. that I couldn't handle and that seems to be key.

I have also been worried about the binging/restricting reaction to HCG and the limited calories so my plan B is if that happens---I am done. I'm not sure any other way around that one and I figure at this point the only way I'll find out is if I try. The HCG isn't an appetite suppressant, nor is the appetite supression related to ketosis (although I agree you would likely be ketotic). It's leptin. Leptin regulates our hunger and fullness signals...you know the ones we keep saying that are broken? Well, if you are leptin resistant that is exactly right. With hcg however, the system starts 'talking' again and resistance is essentially removed---it's a survival mechanism that was built into pregnancy to ensure that the fetus would survive in times of famine or regardless of the mothers nutritional intake during pregnancy. Hmmmmm.....trying to figure out an easy way to explain exactly how hunger, leptin, fat cells, hcg, etc. work together here.... I'm just getting my head wrapped around it but probably not well enough to put it in words! I'll go find one of the youtube things I watched that explains it pretty well---although there is a lot more to it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #920
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes---I have come across leptin and fish oils. Also there was an amino that I saw come up in several things I read....I'm thinking acetyl carnitine or something like that. I keep thinking I should be taking notes on all of this stuff but I end up clicking on one link and then another and forget where I found stuff!

I really do think this all makes a lot of sense. I don't think I am totally resistant---I believe at over 350 lbs I was but I think that I alleviated a lot of that through how I low carbed and the resulting weight loss. But I do think I am mildly resistant and I want to break through that! I keep trying to get back to feeling like I did physically and emotionally with the aminos---but the aminos won't take me there anymore. I'm thinking dealing with the leptin issue is a more 'permanent' fix...although I can of course screw it up and undo all the hard work with it just like anything else..... I think that my 'hunger' switch has been somewhat fixed---I just have a problem figuring out when I'm not hungry anymore....and honestly full doesn't even register for me unless I pretty much binge.

Last edited by Teresa123; 07-01-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #921
Big Yapper!!!!

OK, I think this is the one that hits some of the basics. She has a ton of stuff out there but mostly it is about emotional eating, hunger scale, counseling sessions with her hcg peeps, etc. All very interesting but I can't find too much else from her that gets into the scientific stuff. I probably should consider buying her book....but then again, I think I have found plenty on the net to convince me. Maybe I'll see if they have it at the library though just to see if there is anything else of interest in it.

I'm reading Pounds and Inches again (Dr Simeons manuscript). Oh my gosh does it take on a whole different meaning now that I get it. It's funny because I think he was on the 'cusp' of getting it too....just about 4 decades before the whole leptin thing was discovered I think he was almost there. He talks about the exhaustion of the 'fat bank' and a 3rd type of fat which others (including the lady in this video) scoff at---however what I think he was onto was leptin resistance....just that leptin hadn't even been discovered yet. Anyway, it's really interesting looking at his findings and thoughts now with all this new information---kind of makes it all fall into place.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #922
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA.....

Thanks for the you tube clip. I'll check it out.
Who is that lady? Does she have any type of professional/medical/nutritional education/degree?

i
Quote:
t's a survival mechanism that was built into pregnancy to ensure that the fetus would survive in times of famine or regardless of the mothers nutritional intake during pregnancy. Hmmmmm.....trying to figure out an easy way to explain exactly how hunger, leptin, fat cells, hcg, etc. work together here..
that makes sense. Especially considering the nausea/morning sickness many pregnant women experience.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #923
Big Yapper!!!!

Her name is Robin something...as far as I can figure out her degree is in exercise physiology or something like that. She has/had an eating disorder herself. She learned about the protocol when her sister was doing it and so she decided to start to experiment with her clients that she trained and collected a lot of data that she then submitted to various places for review. She now is basically a therapist/consultant with an HCG clinic I believe in St Paul or somewhere in the twin cities---if you listen to any of the videos you can hear the distinctive Minnesoooootan accent of her and the clients! She developed the hypothesis on leptin being what makes hcg 'work' and at this point that is apparently the only hypothesis out there.....and it makes a lot of sense to me and connects to so much of what Simeons was saying, just in a different language. I *think* she has a few gaps in her theory, but overall I think she is right on....but what do I know?! It's funny that I kind of 'backed into' her research from reading about leptin....and when I kept seeing that this is ultimately regulated in the hypothalamus it kept taking me back to hcg since that is what Dr. S was trying to correct---but I just couldn't map out how it all works together until I found her stuff.

I've been looking at more leptin type plans and comparing them to hcg....I'm encouraged to see that whichever way you go the first phase needs to be at least 3 weeks long to truly get results. This supports what Dr. S says about a course of tx needing to be at least 21 days to 'fix' the hypothalamus. This is all too interesting! The little analyst in me is having fun finally finding all the pieces to the puzzle---now the challenge will be if I can put them all together for me.

So I just finished reading P&I again and I'm ready to go! I've timed everything out including my period, social obligations, my surgery next month, etc......and now is the time. So let the loading begin! Oh wait, that needs to wait until tomorrow....why do I have a feeling that will be my favorite part?! I actually have a couple extra weeks to play with so if this is a bust for me I would still have time to do the leptin reset plan and be phasing out of that before surgery....but honestly the restricted calories sounds much better to me at this point than the morning protein fest....but if that's what has to be done then I will. I'm excited to think that by repairing this I might 'fix' a whole bunch of stuff. Not impossible when I think about how repairing insulin resistance made a huge difference in my life...maybe this will too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #924
Blabbermouth!!!

HCG was one of those plans I tried last year around this time. I couldn't do it long term, too restrictive. I do like the science behind the leptin stuff though. I just need to find something and stick to it. On plan for the most part today. Family stuff going on this week. Posting will be hit and miss folks.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #925
Big Yapper!!!!

So Vicki---when you say too restrictive, were you physically hungry, did you have head hunger, were you bored....? What exactly about it made you realize it wasn't for you? I'm trying to get myself as mentally prepared for this as I can.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #926
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning...it's Monday again already. Glad I have Weds off! I'm thinking I should start a new thread for the 2nd half of the year as this one is getting pretty long.

I'll post a link in a bit.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #927
Big Yapper!!!!

OK--come join me please.

New Beginnings---Finding a Balance in 2012 (2nd Half)