Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Indomitable Amy
Stats: 240/240/130
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 4/16/2012
vli1127 Yikes! Sounds painful! How did you tear it? How long does it take to recover from something like that?

healthylowcarbin (May I call you hlc?) Thank you for that link! And the pumpkin sausage soup sounds amazing.

I picked up the new Atkins book today. It says they've made it easier and more flexible to do. I sure hope so.
Indomitable Amy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Hi guys, please don't get offended if I don't always do personals. I get overwhelemed sometimes but read everyone's post.

Laura, good job on making it throught the spinning class. I always tell new people in my class that their job is to just make it through the class the first time. The gel seats help but honestly you won't need it after you have done it for a while.

Amy, any exercise is a start. You will work your way up to what feels confortable to you and that way you won't get burned out.

Vicki, sounds like you have a roll going, good job.

Hugs to everyone else.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon-2-b-slim View Post
WW was great for me because my leader was so inspirational! Very funny, warm and human and made me actually look foreward to going to meetings. I actually sent her a bouquet of flowers when I reached my 50lb weight loss because I couldn't've done it without her meetings. Having said that, when I realised that actually I was ignoring the WW 'thing' and tailoring it mor to low carb I thought that I might be wasting money!

btw does anyone know of a good 'wrap' recipe? I have loads of meaty filling ideas but nothing to wrap them in apart from lettuce!! NOt reallhy a tortilla!! I did think about maybe an egg pancake? Has anyone tried this? Am I on on the right track do you think?
soon-2-b-slim....thanks so much for the input on WW. I was thinking that it would probably be a waste of $ for me because I wouldn't really follow the program but was mostly interested in support/accountability. hopefully I can find that for much less $ at TOPS.

I have used thinned out eggs as wraps.

For meaty fillings I prefer to stuff them in low carb veggies....red bell peppers, zucchinis (cut in half and hollow out to stuff) or eggplant cut into strips prebaked and then rolled up and stuffed. Any of these are great with meaty fillings and even better when topped with some yummy cheese

have you tried the atkin's revolution roles? it is from the atkin's book and is inductionfriendly. I like the taste although some people find they are eggy tasting. there is a big thread here with variations; http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ll-tweaks.html

it is more of a roll than a wrap but it works well (if you like the taste) for hamburgers and has no frankenfoods.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

AMY...my user name is rather long, huh? I don't mind the abbreviation. You can also call me Liz.
Do you know when the new atkin's book was published? I might have to look at that. I've got the original 1972 version.

LINDA...I'm glad to see you posting! I hope you're having a good day.
I know what you mean about not being able to always do personals. Just please keep posting
healthylowcarbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

soon-2-b-slim....here is the egg wrap recipe I used (from Linda Sue's website)
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
there are a couple of others there that I haven't tried
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/bread_recipes.html

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 01-04-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement on the spinning...I hope to start making it a regular thing each week but OH MY if it doesn't stop hurting I will not keep going back (yes, pain IS a deterrent for me!)...have been in pain all evening and had some trouble carrying out my duties when does the pain usually go away is you spin 2-3 times a week? Also, does spinning help with a loss in inches, pounds, both or neither? Just curious... I have a stationary bike and also am going to do water aerobics and maybe some treadmill time also would like to do some circuit training but that may be a month or so off
pescacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Liz it is. The new book was published in 2010.

DENMW Thanks for the encouragement.

Laura One thing that helps with the pain is stretching. Make sure you stretch before and after you spin. Also stretch before you go to bed. I forget the science behind it but an aerobics instructor friend told me that and I find it really helps for any exercise I do.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaiyce
Stats: 262.9/174/144
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 21, 2011
Hi everyone,

Good Day....well actually I think I went to far between meals and hammy first hypoglycemic fit dice starting....but I used to have them every day! I did some serious cleaning today and 5 hours went by and I had only had 2 eggs...won't do that again!

Theresa- yes it's pronounced Jaycee...I am glad you think it's cool
I find it very interesting to hear of others starting so young with weight loss...my goodness you were even younger! I was a WW member on and off so many times I should of won at least a cookbook!

Good luck everyone!
Jaiyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good morning---it's Thursday (my favorite day of the week!) It's also supposed to be 62 and sunny today, pretty much unheard of for January in my neck of the woods!

This post is probably going to be in multiple pieces so bare with me, I get lots of interruptions while I'm at work---how dare they expect me to work!

Liz---thanks for the split pea soup recipe! Also thanks for the info on the gluc. I tried looking in that thread a few times but it sets off all kinds of crazy thinking for me---sometimes when I see people doing extreme things to cut cals, etc. I start getting bad ideas and all my crazy e.d. type thinking surfaces, so I find it best for me to stay out of those threads. Those happened to be ones that set me off. It's weird because most threads like that I can look at and just think 'that's not for me' or take pieces out of them that are OK and move on---but that one I had to run out of quickly because I sensed it could lead me to all kinds of unhealthy thinking. I did look some on the net for ideas but all I could really find was that you could sub it in very tiny amounts for corn starch....which I don't use anyway! Maybe I'll try adding a teaspoon or so to my next batch of muffins and see what that does....

How did you do on water yesterday? I did great! I think just being more mindful of it has helped. I'm trying to do a glass of water for every 2 cups of tea (which I drink a lot of!) during the day and then just water and maybe 1 cup of tea at night. It's working so far.

Vicki---so how did breaking the fast go? What benefits do you feel you got from it? Great job on all the exercise!

Amy---what kind of recipes are you most interested in? I've become a pro at recreating things I love and making them healthier! I actually found this site looking for low carb recipes and since I have never done message boards/blogs/etc. I had no idea how to manuever this place or that there was anything outside of the recipe threads for quite awhile! I just came for the good food ideas! I love sweets and back when I first joined we had a couple of great low carb bakers here that I learned a ton from. One disappeared several years ago and the other one died last year but I am so grateful to both of them because they really opened my eyes and helped make this all possible (and enjoyable) for me!!

Soon---I know that one of the recipe peeps (Lauren) has a recipe or two for wraps, I'll go find her blog in a minute for ya. Also I would think that you could make crepes. I always meant to make those, but never got around to it. My understanding is they are very easy and you can make a lot of them up at once and store them in the fridge. You can also buy low carb wraps but personally I don't really like them. I ate them off and on the first few years but now I like sprouted wraps, although I don't eat them very often.

Back in a bit.....

Last edited by Teresa123; 01-05-2012 at 06:49 AM..
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone, Day 2 on plan I accomplished all my goals yesterday except I made 2 calls instead of 2. Here's my plan for today.

Action Plan:
1. Devotion time
2. Attend a phone meeting
3. Attend a F2F OA meeting
4. Call Kelly
5. E mail my food plan to Kelly
6. Make OA 3 phone calls
7. Exercise
8. Practice/study Bodyvive
9. Clean/pick up in the house for 15 min.
10. Read a page from the BB
11. Take vitamins
12. Drink minimum of 64 oz. water

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescacat View Post
Thanks for the encouragement on the spinning...I hope to start making it a regular thing each week but OH MY if it doesn't stop hurting I will not keep going back (yes, pain IS a deterrent for me!)...have been in pain all evening and had some trouble carrying out my duties when does the pain usually go away is you spin 2-3 times a week? Also, does spinning help with a loss in inches, pounds, both or neither? Just curious... I have a stationary bike and also am going to do water aerobics and maybe some treadmill time also would like to do some circuit training but that may be a month or so off
Laura, there is no exercise that does spot reducing but I don't have to tell you that any exercise cardio or strength training has many benefits and ultimately will help you lose inches as you lose weight. I took water aerobic when I first started exercising and it is great. Also, there are water dumbbells that are used that are quite the workout. As far as spinning goes, I can't tell you how long it will take to get use to the seat but it will happen. Mainly though you want to be sure your posture and bike setup are set up correctly. Here's the cycle program I teach. It is a Les Mills program and the website explains proper bike setup and technique that can be applied to any spinning class.Learn The Moves

Liz, I think WW or TOPS is a great idea. I went to WW about 3 years ago and loved it. The meetings have changed a lot and it really is a great way to stay accountable and get support. Like you, I didn't follow their plan but they do have some good action plans. It's worth the money to try.

OK, hi to everyone else I need to get on with my day.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Soon---here is Lauren's recipe for wraps. If you haven't seen her blog before I highly recommend checking it out! She is the queen of low carb/healthy makeovers for all kinds of tasty things. My favorite is her remake of Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Cake.

Laura---thanks for the tip on the carrots! I always add these to broc and cauli soups but hadn't even thought of them for the pea soup--I will definitely do that. Thanks for the laugh on the spinning although I'm sure it's not quite so funny for you! I know on my 'real' bike even with it's nice cushy seat I still was uncomfortable for the first week or so but after that no problem. If I'm riding very long I just make sure to shift around occasionally. Personally I think give it a week or two and then if it's still too uncomfortable then try out something else. I'm a wimp when it comes to exercise--if I don't like it I move on quickly because I know I won't stick with it if I don't enjoy it. Hmmmm, perhaps that's why I don't do much exercising....

Jaicye---wow, that's a lot of cleaning, can you come to my place PLEASE! Definitely make sure you are eating, we don't want you passing out....plus you need to keep up your energy so you can come clean my place.

Linda---yay on day 2!

Here's a question of the day for anyone interested in answering:

What is the most difficult thing about low carb (or about staying on any plan for that matter)?

Maybe collectively we can find some answers to some of the obstacles.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning,

I did well with my water consumption goal yesterday.
I gave in to mid-afternoon hungries and ate 2 protein bars I did end up eating less at dinner so it balanced out. I'm not beating myself up but I'm trying to make a plan to avoid the afternoon munch-a-thon. I've already increased my lunch fats/proteins so I don't think it is actually hunger. I think it is more of a bad habit to anticipate a snack

today I plan to run errands during the afternoon to avoid food temptations.
I usually run errands in the morning and then do house cleaning & cooking in the afternoon. Hopefully changing up my routine to avoid the hungry times at home will help.

TERESA...
Quote:
What is the most difficult thing about low carb (or about staying on any plan for that matter)?
Excellent question!
For me it is failing to plan, stick to a regular eating schedule, and a tendency to get portion distortion. When I try to "wing it" and just eat "on plan" foods I either under eat or way over eat.

The solution for me is pretty simple....plan healthy filling meals, eat them at a regular scheduled time and weigh/measure my food to keep portion sizes in check. Why don't I always do this?!?!?

LINDA.... on a good day yesterday! WTG!!! Your goals for today sound wonderful! You CAN do this!
Thanks for the ww info.

Jaiyce are you diabetic? I am not but I have problems with hypoglycemia especially if I consume caffeine and don't eat enough.

AMY....thanks for the publication date (2010). I'm curious about how the atkins program has changed/evolved. I might check the book out when I get a library card
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Oops, my link was deleted. Maybe Lauren is selling something on that site now or something.....not sure, but here is the actual recipe.

Healthy Gluten-Free Wraps/Tortillas

Makes two wraps

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1 tablespoon sesame seed meal (Could sub more flax meal here)
2 tablespoons pecan or almond meal
1 tablespoon oat OR buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon protein powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon coconut milk OR heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon honey OR blackstrap molasses
4 tablespoons warm water
Herbs and spices, to taste

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix together dry ingredients. Whisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Beat wet ingredients into dry ingredients vigorously with a mixer or whisk. Divide batter into two sticky masses. Drop in balls on to a greased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Press a piece of plastic wrap over dough balls. Flatten rounds with hand, and use a rolling pin over the plastic wrap until dough is 1/8 inch thickness. Peel off plastic wrap and smooth over any bubbles with fingertips. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Let wraps rest on silicone mat until lukewarm to the touch, then carefully run a sharp spatula around the bottom to unstick. Let cool completely and store between sheets of paper towel in a plastic baggie on the countertop.

If you over bake the wraps, there will be dry crispy spots on them. If you under bake them, they will be doughy on the inside. The key is the make sure the dough is spread evenly, with the thickness uniform throughout. It might take a couple of tries because of variations in oven temperatures. Hopefully it won't take you as many failed batches as it did me. I blew through a lot of ingredients testing out these puppies!

~4g net carbs per wrap
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning Liz!

I think my original problems with any plan was I tried to be too strict and reduce calories too much and I didn't pay attention to how I felt---just wanted to lose weight and lose it NOW! With low carb specifically I was always, on past attempts, bored and grossed out with the food within a fairly short period of time. Once I got that problem fixed it was fairly smooth sailing, until I got down to the final pounds and then even bigger problems surfaced. Now I think my biggest struggle is that I just like to overeat....period. I wish that would have gone away, or my stomach would have shrunk or whatever.....but it didn't. Feeling full, sometimes even overly so, feels 'normal' or 'right' to me. That may sound sick or crazy or whatever, but it's my reality. It might be my way of dealing with emotions or life, or maybe it's just how I was 'made,' I don't know. I suspect after decades of living that way that if it wasn't how I was made, it became my norm, and it's been really hard to constantly battle against that which feels normal, or comfortable, or whatever. Thus my up and down 3, 5, 10, 15 etc. lbs over and over and over again.

Hmmm, what a cheery post! All I know to do at this point is keep battling and hope that someday it's less difficult. For me doing anything that looks/feels like a diet will set me off to eat more and more, and potentially binge. So my best defense is to make sure I am well fed and eat foods that I love and that truly satisfy me....otherwise, things can get really out of control.

OK, better start paying attention to the conference call I'm on.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Holy Moly, you guys are on a roll.

Linda Congrats on day 2 of being on plan.

Amy I think it takes about 4-6 weeks to heal from a scope. The scope involved the surgeon removing the cartilage that is torn. By doing so, this eliminates the popping and clicking and pain supposedly. However, I think I had a lot. He talked about me maybe needing cortisone injects or viscous gel injects at some point. Normal wear and tear and probably years of extreme obesity had probably led to this problem.

Teresa breaking the fast went well. I had an organic apple for breakfast, Wendy's Baked potato for lunch and supper was bean soup and a clementine. I did have a couple of handfuls of sunflower seeds.

Liz Yea on the H2O consumption. Did your bathroom trips increase?

Jaiyce It isn't too often that I get so busy that I "forget" to eat LOL
7-28 231.4 down 12 lbs: Total - 29 lbs
8-28 218.2 down 13.2 lbs Total - 42.2 lbs
9-28 206.4 down 11.8 lbs Total - 54 lbs
10-28 203.2 down 3.2 lbs Total - 57.2 lbs
11-27 204.8 up 1.6 lbs Total - 55.6 lbs
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Wow missed a lot in the last few days. Sorry. I'm really slacking.

Teresa, Vicki, Linda, Liz all the new ladies.

I am back for a few days hopefully. Things seem so crazy lately. Good to see things are going well for everyone. DH is home for a couple days. He was gone for new years and just got back today. That is how it goes I guess. I just can't seem to stay on track with everything. Seems like I do good for a few days and then lose it. Don't know what is going on with me mentally. Very stressed right now.

Oh yes teresa the pic is my 2 oldest gbabies. They have me spoiled.

TOM right now and seems like the older I get the more it affects me mentally. Drags me down and have a lot of pain also. I was planning on having a hysterectomy sometime in 2012 but not sure how that will pan out. I tried to sign up for the long term disability plan through our hospital when they had open enrollment but was denied because I had knee surgery in the last five years and my height and weight ratio. Go figure that. It doesn't matter to them that I have lost 40 pounds just that I am still overweight.

Going to bed now, really tired. I will try to check in tomorrow. Have a good night all.

239/195.2/145
gynx8467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Good morning Liz!

Now I think my biggest struggle is that I just like to overeat....period. I wish that would have gone away, or my stomach would have shrunk or whatever.....but it didn't. Feeling full, sometimes even overly so, feels 'normal' or 'right' to me. That may sound sick or crazy or whatever, but it's my reality. It might be my way of dealing with emotions or life, or maybe it's just how I was 'made,' I don't know. I suspect after decades of living that way that if it wasn't how I was made, it became my norm, and it's been really hard to constantly battle against that which feels normal, or comfortable, or whatever. Thus my up and down 3, 5, 10, 15 etc. lbs over and over and over again.

:
Theresa, I know exactly how you feel. I have been doing the same things for years too. That's why for me right now structure is a key because no matter what is going on with me, I eat only what I committed for the day and it forces me to look at what else is going on with me. I pray that I can continue on this path. Day 2 almost down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynx8467 View Post
That is how it goes I guess. I just can't seem to stay on track with everything. Seems like I do good for a few days and then lose it. Don't know what is going on with me mentally. Very stressed right now.

l.
Jenn, I understand what you are going thru too. I have been doing the same. Be kind to yourself right now. You will get back on track.

Well, off to do some things before I go to bed.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! It's Friday! Although it's going to be a sucky day here at work I think .....oh well, in less than 10 hours it should be over.

Jen--nice to see ya. I hear you on the TOM stuff getting worse as we get older. That is horrible about the disability insurance....insurance companies are really cracking down and 'tightening up' this year. I have a new plan this year and I'm honestly not sure if it's going to cover anything. Please do stop by here daily---maybe just 'jotting down' how you're doing and what is going on will help you deal with whats going on.

Linda---great job on day 2!

Vicki---do you ever pick up the Seasons magazines at HyVee? They have what looks like a really good soup recipe in there---well actually several but the one I'm interested in is black bean, sweet potato and kale. Thought it would be perfect for the 'flexitarian' plan.

Water consumption continues to be good. I really think it was just a matter of paying more attention to it. Need to think of what my 'little' goal will be for next week.

Have a good day ladies.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody

I went to a TOPS meeting this morning. The people were super nice but I'm not sure if I'll attend another meeting. They require that you pay for a year in advance ($54). The meeting lasted for about 30 minutes and included some senior citizen exercises (including exercises to fight neck sag) I was the youngest person there by 30 years. I felt like a spring chicken:jump joy:

I think I might check out weight watchers next.

I made a non-weight related New Year's resolution to be more social and make efforts to meet new people. I'm happy to report that I'm making good progress on that! I've signed up for a book club and have made contact to join a large social group in town (400 members who do lots of fun social activities & volunteer work)

TERESA...I hope your day at works is not as sucky as anticipated.
WTG on the water consumption goal! I also did well with water.

LINDA... yay for day 2 on plan!

JEN..
Quote:
I just can't seem to stay on track with everything. Seems like I do good for a few days and then lose it. Don't know what is going on with me mentally. Very stressed right now.
I hope your stress level goes down. Stress always makes it hard for me to stay on plan.

VICKI ...
Quote:
Yea on the H2O consumption. Did your bathroom trips increase?
No increase in bathroom trips. I think I've been consuming too much sodium. Hopefully the continued water will flush it out
How is your woe going?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the forum. My start date isn't until the 10th but it's already helping my resolve. So, thanks to all of you!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
Hey everybody

I went to a TOPS meeting this morning. The people were super nice but I'm not sure if I'll attend another meeting. They require that you pay for a year in advance ($54). The meeting lasted for about 30 minutes and included some senior citizen exercises (including exercises to fight neck sag) I was the youngest person there by 30 years. I felt like a spring chicken:jump joy:

I think I might check out weight watchers next.

I made a non-weight related New Year's resolution to be more social and make efforts to meet new people. I'm happy to report that I'm making good progress on that! I've signed up for a book club and have made contact to join a large social group in town (400 members who do lots of fun social activities & volunteer work)

:
It sounds like WW might be a better choice. I am happy you are pursuing your New Year's goal. That inspires me. I swear we are twins because that is my goal too. In church on New Years day I felt that God gabve me the word "connection" for the New year. It includes connecting to God, family, friends, church family and new people. I want to hear more about your social group. Maybe there is something like it in Florida that I can look into. I've heard of "meet up group" but haven't looked into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Good morning! It's Friday! Although it's going to be a sucky day here at work I think .....oh well, in less than 10 hours it should be over.
It's almost over, hang in there.

I'm having my friend and her husband, and 2 sons over for dinner tonight. I'm having fajotas because that's what the boys wanted. II'm on day 3 on plan and plan to send dessert home with Renee so there will be no temptations. Gotta run.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Liz, the year in advance payment for TOPS is normal. It is the year fee. Then each chapter decides on chapter dues and can run around $5 a month. Seems like a bargain compared to whatever WW would be. Last I knew it was something like $12 a week. But, being the youngest by far, I can see why you wouldn't want to go back The meeting I used to go to it was mostly a social club.

I am eating primarily fruits and vegetables and small amounts of animal protein. I am staying away from dairy for the most part. I am still finishing off some half and half though. When that is used up though I can switch to coconut creamer. Today we had a meeting that lunch was served. I took a tuna pouch, carrots and celery and an apple and drank water. However, my son gave me an Olive Garden gift card for my bday in Nov and we are going to use it tomorrow. I will have to do the best I can.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone,
I wrote a long post last night and when I went to submit it did not work and I lost it! I was to mad to write it all again!
So here I am trying again!

Theresa- your post
"Now I think my biggest struggle is that I just like to overeat....period. I wish that would have gone away, or my stomach would have shrunk or whatever.....but it didn't. Feeling full, sometimes even overly so, feels 'normal' or 'right' to me. That may sound sick or crazy or whatever, but it's my reality. It might be my way of dealing with emotions or life, or maybe it's just how I was 'made,' I don't know. I suspect after decades of living that way that if it wasn't how I was made, it became my norm, and it's been really hard to constantly battle against that which feels normal, or comfortable, or whatever. Thus my up and down 3, 5, 10, 15 etc. lbs over and over and over

This really hit home with me! I have noticed that I miss the relaxing and eating...I am not hungry but I just WANT. Not cravings...just miss my old relaxing method. As far as over eating feeling normal, I think my mind mistakes the over full feeling for contentment. I feel more comfortable really full, so ths again has really been a struggle...

Lowcarbin- no I am not diabetic, but I really struggled with daily hypoglycemia fits before this WOE. It's actually why I never tried it before as I thought I hado be on the balance of a weight watchers diet before. The funny thing is that I have never felt so good!

Vicki- yes I too do not forget to eat to often...lol

Well I am on the road with my family for my sons hockey tournament in Northern Alberta..freezing my butt off...but surrounded by tough food choices for the next 2 days...I sure hope I can keep myself under control! I brought bars and such but there is not even a McD's here!I don't know hat I will do, but one meal at a time..

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Jaiyce, I hate that when that happens: lost posts. You are in the boonies but at least you brought your bars. It is probably a good thing there isn't a McDs, that would mean crap food anyways regardless of the LC food choices. Their plain chicken isn't just plain chicken. The list of ingredients is ridiculous.

It may look like a chicken breast, but this is the list of ingredients for the GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD from McDonalds. The 'chicken breast' is anything but just chicken!

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet ingredients: Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates. CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

Weigh in today: 208.8 Wahoo. My short term goal is to be back in the 100's. I can't remember the last time. Probably around a year ago.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Jaiyce, I hate that when that happens: lost posts. You are in the boonies but at least you brought your bars. It is probably a good thing there isn't a McDs, that would mean crap food anyways regardless of the LC food choices. Their plain chicken isn't just plain chicken. The list of ingredients is ridiculous.

It may look like a chicken breast, but this is the list of ingredients for the GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD from McDonalds. The 'chicken breast' is anything but just chicken!

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet ingredients: Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates. CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN.

Weigh in today: 208.8 Wahoo. My short term goal is to be back in the 100's. I can't remember the last time. Probably around a year ago.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post

WOW! Thank you for that!
Made it ok, I dabbled...don't know if I managed under 20 though
Breakfast - 1.5 egg 2 bacon
Lunch- 1/2 subway chicken salad
Snack- bar
Dinner- chicken, veggies and small salad (some cheese off my kids pizza)
Snack- bar
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!

We didn't make it to Olive Garden as planned, with a one hour wait at 730 pm that was too long. We went to a Hawaiian grill and I had Spam Misuki or something like that and the chicken salad. I find I am not too fond of Spam. The salad was good, but while I am eating it I am thinking about the ingredients. This place is not a chain, so I am hoping the chicken was more real than McDs.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning! Sorry I was mia yesterday, I was very grouchy and not in the mood to socialize...even on the net!

Vicki---yay on the weigh in! Yuck on the spam! I can tell when chicken is processed, I can't even stand the kind that comes flash frozen. There are some pretty good choices at the Olive Garden, I usually go with steak, veggies and taters. Stay away from their house dressing, it's full of hfcs, etc.

Jaiyce---I hate when I lose posts! It seems to go in waves for me where I'll lose them all the time for awhile and then it's fine.

I think you are right about the comfort/relaxing part of feeling full. Yesterday in all my grouchiness I definitely was not feeling satisfied with anything I ate. After taking a hot bath last night I finally felt more...well, balanced I guess. I probably need to find more comforting activities like that. Especially things I can do right after a meal. Sometimes I nice hot cup of some kind of tea helps, sometimes not. Guess I need to keep searching.

Fast food meat is pretty bad, although I believe that Wendy's and Hardee's and a couple of others use 'cleaner' meats than some. In a pinch however you gotta do what ya gotta do!

Linda---how did your dinner with friends go? Are you finding exercising/instructing going easier now being back on plan?

Amy---I think it's cool that you are taking time to research and figure out what is right for you! It's like you're getting mentally healthy and fit first--which is great because the mental stuff is by far the hardest part! I hope you are finding lots of recipes and ideas to get you started. What do you think about the new Atkins book? I've only skimmed a few bits of it but it looks interesting. I would love to hear any great things you find in that book that make it easier, more enjoyable to follow than the previous versions.

Liz---sorry the TOPS meeting you went to wasn't for you. Probably like 12 step meetings, they all have their own 'personalities.' My mom has attended TOPS for years...maybe even decades. She's going to be 80 this year and most of the people there have been there forever as well and are in the same age range. It really seems like more of a social club and she has a lot of friends in that group. It is of course a great 'touch base' type of thing to keep on top of weight issues, but her group is definitely mostly a social club. When I looked at OA and TOPS meetings in this area they both had at least one that was restricted to retired people only, so I'm wondering if an older crowd is just common for those meetings?

I'm also wanting to get out and make new friends this year. It's sad that I work with hundreds of people and although I do socialize with them some, it's really hard in my role to really make friends with any of them. So I need to do this outside of work. I haven't found much on meet up that really strikes a cord with me, but there are a couple that have possibilities that I want to check out. Of course there is one where people get together and go out to eat all the time! Their last event they went to like 8 pizza places in one evening to sample all kinds of 'weird' pizzas. Now that sounds right up my alley!

Work Friday was even suckier than I anticipated. I'm still trying to 'shake it off.' I love my job but the role I'm in puts me in a place where people are constantly pissed off and in defense mode and it can get pretty heated. Most days it doesn't affect me, even though they make it personal I know it's not...well, not exactly, and bottom line I have a job to do. But more and more lately it is really wearing on me....so this might be the year that I start really looking for something else. I will stay with the same company as I love it, but maybe a whole new department is what I need.

Jen--how's it going?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/295/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
I would like to join you. I have read through all the posts and you all appear to be very supportive. I have been on LCF for several years and start the new year off with the same resolutions, this year is somewhat different. I have started off with forgiviving those who have done me wrong, I need closure in order to move on with my life; as far as weight loss - I want to lose weight but I want to get healthy as well. My children are almost 11 and 6 and I feel life is passing me by. I have done well with low carb in the past and feel better when on track, but have had difficulty sticking to it long term.

Just a little about me, I am 40 1/2, have been married for 17 years, have two children and work full time. I have been on and off diets and tried pretty much every diet around since I was a teenager. I gained 100-110 lbs since getting married. I have joined many challenges over the years with LCF but have not followed through with many. I am not good at posting individual posts but do read each one. If I am MIA, it means I am off plan and up to no good!

exercise: 4 x per week
eat: low-moderate carbs
weight: lose consistently and get healthy while doing it
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everybody!

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday. The weather was so pretty (in the 60's) that DH and I spent most of the day doing yard work and running errands.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts/inputs re. the TOPS meeting. I hope to try WW this week to compare.

FONDA.... I hope that you have great success with your low carb plan and that you continue to post with us.
Quote:
this year is somewhat different. I have started off with forgiviving those who have done me wrong, I need closure in order to move on with my life

TERESA... sorry you had a grouchy day yesterday. I hate when I feel like that.

Quote:
I'm also wanting to get out and make new friends this year
I wish we lived closer. I would love to hang out with you!

Quote:
It's sad that I work with hundreds of people and although I do socialize with them some, it's really hard in my role to really make friends with any of them.
When I worked in nursing management I had a similar situation. I had to maintain distance to effectively do my job. I learned my lesson when I had to fire a friend.

Quote:
work Friday was even suckier than I anticipated. I'm still trying to 'shake it off.' I love my job but the role I'm in puts me in a place where people are constantly pissed off and in defense mode and it can get pretty heated. Most days it doesn't affect me, even though they make it personal I know it's not...well, not exactly, and bottom line I have a job to do. But more and more lately it is really wearing on me....so this might be the year that I start really looking for something else. I will stay with the same company as I love it, but maybe a whole new department is what I need
I hope a great new opportunity opens up for you at work.

Quote:
definitely was not feeling satisfied with anything I ate. After taking a hot bath last night I finally felt more...well, balanced I guess. I probably need to find more comforting activities like that. Especially things I can do right after a meal. Sometimes I nice hot cup of some kind of tea helps, sometimes not. Guess I need to keep searching.
WTG on turning to a hot bath instead of a hot fudge sundae!

JAIYCE.... WTG for staying on plan!

LINDA... I hope you had a wonderful time visiting with your friend and her family. How did it go?
I found the social group through online searches. I did searches for "social groups" "social clubs" and my city.

I've gotta run. DH is calling me to go to home depot. I'll try to get back and post more tonight,.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 01-08-2012 at 01:10 PM..