Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #421
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good morning---my favorite day of the week.

Winifred--yep, it will happen, all of those things!!

Laura---on the aminos, I followed the recommendations from the Diet Cure. I had tried different aminios off and on over the last several years but when I actually followed the specific plan that my symptoms pointed to--it was like a miracle!! I highly recommend that book and if you decide to do the aminos, do them exactly as prescribed to start out. It was a pain in the butt--dosing 5 different aminos, 7 times a day, and you have to do them at certain times (like 20 min before eating or 2 hours after, etc.) but so well worth it. I did the full course for several months and then tapered off some of them and at I think about 6 months was off all of them. Now when I'm feeling off I just take a few of the ones that I think will help with my symptoms until I start getting adverse affects---which for me seems to be a mild headache---then I stop them. If you are really depleted you will feel an almost immediate positive impact and over time it's incredible how well I feel on them. I'm guessing with surgery and if you haven't been doing as well staying on top of your protein you may be very depleted. I think the reason I get depleted is probably because my body does not digest meat forms of protein as well as it should and I still haven't totally got the hang of getting in enough complete proteins without meat---then add a bunch of stress to the mix and I get all whacked out!

Jaimie---well if you aren't going to celebrate the scale going down, then I'm going to do it for you!! You wouldn't be the first person that had problems losing while eating cream cheese. Not sure if it's the calories or what in it but I have seen that complaint many times over the years. If you decide that is what it is, then you might be able to try using marscapone....although it's pretty expensive and I'm not sure if it would work in a cheesecake??? I personally don't really like it so I've never played around with it. Just did a quick internet search and it looks like you can sub marscapone for cream cheese so if you decide you are really needing some cheesecake (and hey, a girl just has to have her cheesecake sometimes!) then maybe you could try that and see if it stalls you or not.

Lynn---where are you???

I made the pb cookies yesterday and they are pretty good. Not sure if I did something wrong though because they are a little bit crumbly. It may just be that I am very used to using higher carb ingredients now so I'm a little spoiled by the texture I get from those things vs. low carb ingredients. Bonus is we have several diabetics on the team and I try to remember to make stuff for them at least occasionally so I think today they will be very happy with me cause I brought some in to share with them. I also threw together an organic trail mix that will make the others happy....although none of them are picky and they all usually eat the sf stuff that I make too.

I also made zoodles with butternut squash (would that be buttoodles? ). The texture is different on them---more dense/stiff so I had to sautee them much longer and they ended up breaking down into little pieces rather than the long strips they started out as. They were tasty but mostly I could see that because of the texture if they were cut a bit thicker they would work very well in that lasagna....so I will have to try that soon.

I started doing some cleaning/organizing in my kitchen yesterday. I have a tendency to kind of 'nest' prior to surgery. Anyway, I have certainly cleaned out my cupboards at least a few times in the last couple of years but I found a couple of Dixie Diner mixes and some other random stuff that expired a couple of years ago! I'm not sure why I wouldn't have thrown them out before but they're gone now. It sucks to waste the money but I have truly learned that whole foods are so much better and so much more tasty IMO than that stuff. I am in a major purging mood---and my place needs a major purging---so hopefully I can get a lot of stuff cleared out in the next few weeks! The scary thing is that also means a lot of baking as I found quite a few different baking ingredients that need to be used up over the next several months....so I guess I will be doing a lot of experimenting!

Have a nice day ladies! It's only suppose to hit the mid 40's here today (which actually isn't bad) but the upper 60's tomorrow!! I'm trying to figure out how I can get out of a couple of afternoon meetings tomorrow so I can go home early and get in a nice walk and just enjoy the warmth!
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #422
Big Yapper!!!!

Just had to come back to say----the cookies were a hit and were gone in 5 minutes!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Good Morning Ladies!

Sorry to say, but you probably won't be seeing me around very much until my study crisis is over (March 20th). I WILL stay on plan (not try, but will!) and will be thinking of everyone often!

BTW, my weight was 180.6 this morning! For me this is good, because I started adding the carbs back in. I was able to lock in my losses from the week before when I detoxed! Yay!

I'm glad everyone liked the PB cookies. Yes, I had forgotten that they are a bit crumbly, but I eat them straight from the freezer and problem solved!

Will catch up as ASAP! Until then, ladies wish you all much success on your WOE!

~Lynn~
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaiyce
Stats: 262.9/174/144
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 21, 2011
Hello Ladies,

Thanks for the celebration, the scale showed the same weight today so I am ready to celebrate!

I just was scared to see a gain today!

I will have to look up this Marscapone, thanks Teresa! I have never heard of it! I think I will start experimenting with some baking to figure out my treat that won't stall me...I am not happy with losing the cream cheese but it feels so good to be losing that it is evening it out...I hope I get to sat good bye to the 220's soon!

I am going to try those cookies too , Lynn....I will miss hearing from you but we wish you all the best and please say hello when you can!

Teresa- I have never heard of this Amino acid book, what is it called?

Well I am planning to get up and go to Yoga for 6 am tomorrow, I hope I don't chicken out...I love yoga but I am going on my own and a little worried it will be a bunch of skinny people forced to look at my butt , I wear hearing aides so I have to go to the front of the class....with my big butt or I can't hear (in my 20's I started to lose my hearing) but I am going to try to take a big breath a go....yikes

I hope you all have a great day!

B- cheese and Atkins shake- coffee
L- side Caesar and chicken wings (lunch out)
D- hubby made chicken Alfredo with salad
S- celery with PB
Jaiyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #425
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Jaimie--I'm so happy that the scale is going and staying down! Hope you are at your yoga class right now! Well, actually not sure what time zone you're in so maybe you aren't even awake yet?? Anyway, you should definitely go and try it out. Nothing forcing you to keep going if you don't like it---but you'll never know if you don't try! And I suspect you will love it.

I love cream cheese too so I know it would be hard to give up but you can always have it occasionally and of course when it's time to maintain you can most likely have it back!

The aminos book is called The Diet Cure by Julia Ross. She also has one called The Mood Cure. Both are excellent reads! There is quite a bit of info on the net about her books and program and I believe you can find some of the quizzes there to see if the concept fits you. If you decide to try it I would definitely buy or check out the book(s) as there are lots more details in them and you will want to refer to it/them quite a bit. For me--this was a lifesaver! However, it would only be helpful if the problem is being depleted in aminos.....although I kind of tend to think most people are to one degree or another. But that's just my opinion! Oh, and I should mention that most low carbers that try the aminos don't follow the food part of her diet. I did to some degree because that was just the way I was heading at the time but I don't believe it's necessary to get the benefits of the aminos. Another tip---I've seen lots of peeps, myself included, who just tried to do some of the aminos here and there.....but that does not produce the same result as truly committing to the full program. The combo of all the right ones (for you) at the right times, etc. is pretty magical!

Lynn--change your stats and own that new lower weight!! This means you have lost 70 lbs from your highest??? That is awesome!!

I'm sad you won't be around much but I certainly understand. Try to pop in from time to time so you don't totally forget us....or get off track as many do when they don't stay connected....

Surgery date changed to the 28th, so 3 weeks from tomorrow. Lots of stuff to get done before then, just need to find some motivation! I really should have taken today off---it's going to be 72 degrees! Unfortunately I have almost 8 hours of meetings today. Oh well, spring will be here for good pretty soon.

Eating last night was not so great....no sugar or crap but way too much. I was really hungry yesterday and I know I didn't get enough cals/fat in during the day but geesh, you would think I could just have a little extra at dinner and call it a day. But nope--I decided it was necessary to totally pig out. Every part of me is wanting to restrict today to get the 2lbs off that I'm up today (and I'm still up a lb from all of last weeks shenanigans ) but I really just need to focus on eating right and not restricting. That is one of the things the aminos seemed to do for me, over time I really got out of that weird eating disordered kind of thinking and felt much more at peace. Hopefully that will happen again over time. I have to remember that this is only like day 3 or 4 back on the aminos and although I feel so much better there are still lots of benefits yet to come.

Liz---where are you?? Hey, I made some muffins this weekend and put in 1t of gluc powder, everything else was the same as how I make them every week. They were mushy/gross texture in the middle. So I tossed them. Is 1t too much for 6 muffins? Actually only 4 muffins cause I make them big but the recipe makes 6. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this stuff. Can you just add it to a drink?

Have a nice day ladies---and come check in!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody

I've been busy trying to get the paperwork/stuff in order to FINALLY put our house on the market! Today someone is viewing the house before it is even listed on the MLS. YAY! I'm hopeful that all of the improvements will pay off.

I had a pretty good food day yesterday. I am very grateful that I wasn't plagued all.day.long. with horrible cravings/urges to eat eat eat EAT EAT EAT....
I love those days when it feels almost easy to stay on plan and food thoughts are not dominating my brain.

TERESA.... Sorry to hear you had to toss your muffins. (that sounded gross..lol)
I've never had the mushy middle thing happen but I would definitely decrease the gluc. I used 1tsp in a cake that would fit a 9X12 pan.

I do add it to drinks. I especially love it in fruit smoothies (frozen fruits, raw spinach, veggies, heavy cream and gluc. powder) I find that it gives it a nice thick texture and really increases the satiety.

Here is some info. from the netrition site...
Quote:
Konjac flour can be used as a thickening agent in food application. When using konjac flour for thickening, always mix it with a small amount of liquid (cold water, stock, wine, etc.) until smooth, then add this mixture to the food that you want thickened. If you add konjac powder directly to your food you will end up with a lumpy mess. Konjac powder can be used as a thickener for smooth gravies, sauces, glazes, soups, stews and casseroles. It is also a thickener in pies, puddings, custards and cake fillings. This naturally odorless vegetable powder is also gluten-free, making it the perfect substitute in cooking and baking when flour and other glutinous starches must be avoided.

Konjac powder doesn't thicken very much when mixed with cold water, but quickly thickens when it's heated. This is why you don't add dry konjac powder directly to hot liquids. It will seize and immediately turn into lumps because the konjac powder contacts the water so quickly and fully absorbs the liquid before the adjacent konjac powder can. Mixing konjac powder with cold water allows it to absorb the water slow enough that it's easily and fully dissolved first. The dissolved konjac powder can then be added to a hot liquid to absorb it without lumping.

Konjac powder is an ingredient to thicken sauces and gravies or any other cooked recipe. To use konjac powder as a thickening agent, first disperse it in a little cold water or other "watery" ingredients such as soy sauce, and slowly add it (with constant stirring) to the other ingredients while they are cooking. About 1 teaspoon of konjac powder will gel about one cup of liquid. If you have not used konjac powder as a thickening agent before, it is best to experiment with it by beginning with lesser amounts, and adding as necessary until the desired consistency is reached.

Konjac powder has about ten times the thickening power of cornstarch. Dissolve the konjac powder in a little cold water before adding it to the sauce. Konjac flour thickens nicely when it's heated to boiling temperature, so it usually works well for savory sauces.

You could also use a konjac powder to thicken your broth - konjac powder is a very powerful thickener and does not add much taste.

Check out these great Glucomannan recipes!

JAIME... YAY on the scale not going up:jump joy:
BRAVO on going for yoga! I hope you have a great time!

LYNN....you will be VERY missed but I totally understand. Please check in when you can. Good luck on your studies

I need to go downstairs. I'm waiting on painters to come to finish painting the exterior of our house.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, on plan day!

I'll try to check back later
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey everybody!

I enjoyed the free cooking class on Sunday. they did a demonstration and then fed us lunch. Not bad for a free class.

they used ghee which is clarified butter. Has anyone used this? I've used it before but never think to use it. It has an amazing nutty flavor and doesn't burn like butter (higher smoke point). She used it to saute slivered almonds for a dessert dish and also to saute cumin seeds to add to a salad and to the entree (lentils). the cumin seeds had an amazing flavor and are supposed to have a lot of health benefits. Here is some info if anyone is interested: WHFoods: Cumin seeds

Another interesting thing was that she sprouted the lentils prior to cooking by soaking overnight in water. It made them softer and cut down on the cooking time. It is supposed to be easier to digest/healthier if sprouted.

I recently bought a bag of organic sprouted rice and quinoa blend. It has "germinated brown and red rice"with wild rice and quinoa. I got it at costco. Has anyone heard of this? I don't eat grains/rice very often but DH eats it.
healthylowcarbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Hi everybody

Bad, Bad day......and I let food win this time

I got into an argument with my 14 year old today and dealt with it with a PB sandwich
I didn't even know what I was doing before it hit my mouth....I then managed to go several hours in control and the binged ....first it was a pork chop, then an Atkins bar ( I wanted chocolate) then a banana and more PB

This is by far the worst I have done since program beginning....

I chickened out for yoga, them had to fast for a test today and when I picked up my kids was already starving and grumpy and his teen attitude just was a recipe for disaster.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi,sorry to hear you will not be around for awhile Lynn,i'll miss you.Jaiyce we all have bad days,I just get started again.Teresa how are things going? And hello to everyone else.

Today was a chicken day I ate baked chicken all day.I'm trying to find a shake that doesn't have milk,maybe I need to get protein powder and just add almond milk.I have lactosse intorlance very bad.Netrition site should have something.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #430
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Winifred---yes, you can definitely find all kinds of protein powders at Netrition. I don't know much about lactose intolerance....can you do whey protein? If not Jay Robb (carried by Netrition) has an egg white protein powder. And yes, almond milk, coconut milk, etc. would all work just fine in a shake!

Jaime---uggg, sounds like not a fun day. Fasting is tricky for me. I try to always bring something pretty substantial with me to eat right after my appt---otherwise if I try to wait until a meal I am starving and for me that is never a pretty thing! If you're like me, you will lose a lot of battles on this journey---but it's the war we are trying to win so just pick yourself up and keep moving forward!! Oh--and as far as 'binges' go---yours looks pretty healthy. I know you are disappointed, but it really could have been much, much worse!

Liz--that class sounds so fun! I was just telling my co-worker about it yesterday. I can't wait until we get a Whole Foods here! I have sprouted quinoa and sprouted lentils....and something else sprouted that I can't remember! From what I've read sprouting allows all the nutrients to be available to us and it removes (or decreases) the lectins which makes it much easier to digest. Lectins, and how different blood types deal with different food lectins, are what the blood type diet is based on. I think it's interesting that in our parents or grandparents time, they were basically sprouting things all the time----by soaking the beans, lentils, etc. overnight. then the world got in a big hurry and everything had to be instant and we lost all the nutrients, health benefits, etc. from our foods.

I have some ghee at home....but I've never used it! For some reason it scares me! My coworker said they use it to fatten up sick babies....ummm, that didn't make me feel any better about using it!

Just read an interesting thing about leap year. Apparently there have been 514 (or something like that) of them since they were first created (by Julius Ceasar I think it said). If they hadn't been added to the calendar--it would right now be July 28, 2013. That just seems really weird to me!

Have a nice day ladies!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning ladies!

the weather is amazing! High of 72 and sunny. I love this time of year!!!
Next few days will be heavy rain/storms so I need to get out and enjoy the day

I had another good day yesterday thankfully free of insane appetite and cravings. I've cut down on protein (3-4oz per meal), drastically reduced dairy and added 4 servings of fruit per day. My body is seeming to love it! I think I have a real problem with dairy but have had a hard time accepting it. I crave greek yogurt like crazy but since I've been dairy free for a few days the cravings are subsiding. And I'm not feeling bloated.

TERESA...very interesting info on leap year, thanks for sharing!

Wow...ghee to fatten up sick babies?!? I don't need any help in the fatten department
The lady at the class (who is also a physician) said that the ghee is given to children and adults to help with digestive issues. they only consume a small amount (tsp per day max). It is supposed to promote colon health or something I wouldn't use it very often but it does have an amazing flavor/fragrence.

I didn't realize you could buy the lentils already sprouted. Are they more expensive than regular lentils?

oops gotta run.... s
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #432
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I'm back. I got scared when I heard someone enter my house. It was a guy who is doing exterior painting. He asked for a bandaid for a blister on his toe. Weird and kinda concerning. I had left the garage door open so that they could get to the paint.
It is now closed and locked.

JAIME.... You've stayed on plan for months, right? that is beyond awesome! Be kind to yourself and remember how long you stayed on plan. I know if I go off plan that negative thinking makes it harder to get back on track.
I hope you're having a much better day today.

WINIFRD....I'm sure netrition has a lot of dairy free shake products.
Do you have a whole foods or health food store near your home? If so I would suggest going to see what types they have in single serving packets. It is a great way to try it without investing $$$ in a big jug of protein powder. I've done this before and then ordered from netrition the larger size

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 03-07-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went to aldis today and got some awesome bargains!
I love that store!

I got a double cast iron grill pan that is reversible with a smooth surface on the other side. It fits over 2 burners and enables me to have an indoor grill. I can use the smooth side to cook up massive quantities of long strips of bacon:jump joy: Plus it can be used in the oven. I've looked for those before and they were over $100 -$150
I got one today for $17 Yippee!

Also they had grapefruit for 19cents, pineapples for 99cents, huge zucchinis 3 for $1

I'm planning to grill some zucchini slices tonight on my new grill pan!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #434
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning----it's finally my favorite day!!

Liz---wow, what a steal on that grill pan! I never see much at the Aldi's around here that is worth buying. The produce here is always very limited and doesn't look very good and everything else is just pre-packaged crap. I haven't been in a long time because none of them are very close to me---maybe I need to check one out again and see if they have any better choices at ours nowadays.

On the already sprouted stuff--yeah, more expensive. I keep thinking I should sprout my own but then again, it's just me and I don't eat that much of it so I use that as an excuse to be lazy! But with lentils and seeds it would be so easy because you don't need to dry and grind them and all that stuff---I think you can just use them once they have sprouted. Maybe one day I'll get myself organized enough to do that!

Hmmmm, now that you've brought up the ghee I'm going to have to get mine out and see if it's still any good! It's in a cupboard I have not yet cleaned out yet. I really do need to at least try it.... So, would the easiest way be to just put some on some veggies? I think that was one of the main reasons I didn't use it after I got it---I wasn't sure exactly what to do with it!

Speaking of butter---why is it that Kerry Gold and all the really expensive ones taste so much better? I mean, isn't butter just butter? I need to look that stuff up and see why it's different than regular butter because I can definitely tell a difference with the taste---me loves Kerry Gold, Pulgra and some other imported ones I've tried! I'm pretty sure that Kerry Gold comes from grass fed cows so maybe that makes the difference? I'll have to check on Pulgra and see if that's the same case....

Back to work I am slammed with meetings all day today and tomorrow...well basically it has been like this all week. And next week is even worse. This is all making me more and more excited to have surgery---I need a vacation! Now--remind me of that when I'm in pain and can't find a comfy position to sleep and wah, wah, wah.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Yeah, it's almost the weekend! DH is off this weekend and I'm hoping to do some yard work and maybe play tennis

TERESA... I've heard that some aldi's are not so good. I've been lucky to have good produce at the aldi's by my house. And they have a good return policy. If you are unsatisfied (with produce)you bring it in for a double refund. Honestly, I probably wouldn't go if there wasn't a store close to my house due to the crazy gas prices. But it might be worth checking out if you are in the area.

I've found an international food store which is huge. The produce is amazing! the prices are about half as much as walmart on many items and the variety is staggering. They had 4 or 5 different varieties of eggplants. Lots of interesting fruits/veggies I've never heard of. I think I'll take pix of the veggies and their names so I can come home and look them up. I must say, however, that the seafood section was a bit skeery. Lots of sad fish crowded in tanks staring at me with big eyes. And live crabs hopping around in a bin.
I'm such a wimp. I have a hard time eating anything that has looked at me

Re. the butter....I'm not sure, good question. I don't think I've tried the kerry gold or pulgra. I'll have to check it out

Re. the ghee....it is awesome to sautee seasonings, spices, etc. It is wonderful to sauté
onions and/or mushrooms. It makes an amazing zucchini/onion hash. It doesn't take much to impart a delish flavor. 1-2tsp. Let me know if you try it.

I hope some of your meetings get cancelled and you get a break!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Just popping in for a quick howdy. I have been hanging in the wings and scanning comments. Nothing much to report.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone,

Doing better and back on plan.....my binge did not end at the celery and PB, but it's over and I am back on track. Feeling quite overwhelmed right now with the family I told you about, contract negotiations at work, my 15 year old Greyhound not doing so well and suffering with Kidney Stones...feels like a crappy week! But I am healthy and kids are good so I need to quit pouting...I must have PMS!

We don't have those butter brands here, now I am curious as well!

Good Night, thinking about you all and praying we all get a nice surprise on the scales!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning ladies!

Is anyone familiar with the "law of attraction"? It is what the book and DVD, "the secret" is based on. My friend gave me a book, "Jack Canfield's Key to living the law of attraction. A simple guide to creating the life of your dreams". It is only 138 pages but packed full of good, positive stuff. I'm loving this book! It has a lot of great quotes. I would like to share a few that I really enjoy.....

Quote:
"You are what you think about all day long" (Dr. Robert Schuller)

"Because of the Law of Attraction, each of you is like a powerful magnet, attracting more of the way that you feel at any point in time." (Ester and Jerry Hicks)

"Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results" (Willie Nelson)

'"the thing you set your mind on is the thing you ultimately become" (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
These quotes made me reflect on how much I think about food/overeating/bingeing/etc. My goal for today is to be more aware of my thoughts and work on being more positive regarding food/diet/health/will power/etc.
Whenever I catch myself with a negative thought I will immediately replace it with a positive.

I can do this because I have done it before. I know that what I put in my mind directly affects what I put in my mouth.

Now I'm trying to come up with some positive self-talk. It is so much easier to do the negative (gosh, I'm REALLY skilled at that)

.....I enjoy eating healthy foods in reasonable quantities. I feel good when I eat healthy foods.

Does anyone have any suggestions???
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #439
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning----it's almost the weekend!!! <<<< OK, I'm sorry but the little green twigs on that smiley are just too dorky!

Jaime---I'm glad you got yourself right back on track---yay you!! That is the true test and the one that as long as we keep 'passing' it---we will make it! Sorry there is so much emotional stuff going on right now--and PMS certainly doesn't help with that!

As far as the butter--check out health food stores, you might find it there. I am starting to see the imported butters at other stores---I bought plugra at one point at Super Target but I haven't seen it there for awhile---but mostly I find it at health food places. I did check on the plugra and the reason it tastes so much better---it has a higher fat content! Even though it's only about 2% more fat (and less water content) I can really tell. It is so creamy and delish! I won't use it for baking because it's just too expensive, but for something I want to add butter to after cooking like veggies, bread, etc.---it's the bomb!

Vicki--- so what's up? How is selling the house going?? Any special plans for spring break?

Liz---so when you say 'international food store' meaning like many different countries/cultures are represented? That would be cool! We have lots of ethnic stores here but for the most part it's just foods, etc. from 1 country---like a Mexican store, lots of different Asian stores, Italian, Bosnian, etc. I would love to have them all in one place! I do find incredible bargains in many of those stores but most of them are not really close to where I live so I don't get there often. I love the veggie prices at the Mexican store---I get zuchs, jicama, chayote, etc. for way less than 1/2 the price. I also see tons of stuff at these stores that I have no clue what they are or what to do with them so I often come home and look them up! Taking a picture is a good idea! I always want to buy a nopale at the Mexican grocery but I really don't know what I would do with one---they just look cool!! OH---and if you happen to see any okinawa sweet potatoes---definitely get some! They are very tasty and when you bake them they are bright purple inside! I think they taste starchier than regular sweet potatoes or yams however they are supposed to be healthier and recommended for diabetics.

So it sounds like with the ghee it's something I want to cook/sautee with, not just add on the final product? OK---I'll give it a go this weekend.

I was looking for recipes using white bean flour as I have some that I need to use fairly soon. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind (I was of course thinking desserts ) but I think it looks delish! Winter is almost over and I want to get in some last minute comfort foods! Come summer---soup is not something I want so I need to get it out of my system. I'm thinking I'll sub delicata for the potatoes and cream/water for the milk and everything else pretty much as is....except no parsley---I don't have any and I'm not a big fan! I do have everything else though. I'm kinda thinking this might also be good with califlower instead of potatoes---although I don't know if you would need to add it later or maybe just not cook as long.....? Since the beef is already cooked I would think you could just cook for less time. And I love that you just dump everything in the crockpot---I hate dealing with fussy things!

Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup

■1 lb. browned hamburger
■3/4 c. diced onion
■3/4 c. shredded carrots
■3/4 c. diced celery
■1 t. basil
■1/4 t. parsley
■4 T. butter
■4 c. chicken broth
■4 c. diced potatoes
■1/4 c. white bean flour
■1/4 t. pepper
Place in crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until all vegetables are tender.
Turn to "keep warm" setting and add in:

■8 ounces shredded cheese or equivalent Velveeta
■1 1/2 c. milk (can add in more, depending on the consistency you like)
Serve after cheese has melted. Can add in 1/4 c. sour cream right before serving.

I also found a recipe for chewy whole wheat chocolate chip cookies (I have a whole bag of organic whole wheat pastry flour that needs to be used up!) which I'll make and bring into work (although I will of course sample them ). I have several other baking type ingredients that I need to use soon (so I at least know if I like them before they expire!) so I suspect I will be spending a lot of time this weekend looking at recipes and experimenting. Hopefully the neighbors will be around so I can pawn off any extras on them that are too tempting! I'm planning on freezing some of anything that is good---but not too addictive ---so that I don't have to do a lot of baking after surgery but still have good grub around. Easter is coming---the last big candy/goody holiday for awhile---and I want to get through it 'unscathed!'
Old 03-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JAIME... sorry you're having a rough & stressful week! Sending many good thoughts and prayers your way.
Quote:
I am healthy and kids are good
for seeing the positive!

VICKI.... I'm so glad to see your post! I hope you are doing well.
Did you ever put your house on the market to sell?
Ours was listed yesterday.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #441
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning Liz!

Love the concept. I have never seen The Secret but want to at some point. For me when I'm in a not so great spot I am constantly thinking about my weight---like the actual number---and what I need to do or what I should try next to improve it. This becomes even worse after a period of eating poorly---then I get really obsessive. Like I will seriously think about the number on the scale several times throughout the day and then try to analyze if I do this or that what would it be tomorrow or next week or next month. So I guess for that I would need to say something like "I am at a perfect weight for me today" or something to that affect. I can't go as far as "I'm at a perfect weight" because I won't believe that one ever! But I might be able to convince myself that my weight is exactly where it should be and just fine for today and MAYBE let it go rather than obsessing. Hmmmmm, wouldn't that be nice!

I think your affirmation sounds great. If it's the types of foods that you're concerned about it could be "I love eating healthy nutritious foods" or "I love giving my body the right foods in the right amounts" or something like that. Sorry---not feeling horribly creative today but you get the idea!

I don't have any meetings until 11:00!!! However then I have them straight through until 4pm without even a minute break. Oh well, the week is almost over!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....Good morning! We were posting at the same time.

The international store has a mix of different ethnic ingredients. There are several aisles of chinese, japanese, indian, and mexican foods.
I meant to take pix yesterday but it started to rain like crazy so I had to hurry.

I counted 6 different types of bananas! I decided to try one..... "apple banana" They are short and cute. I thought they would work well for portion control
Quote:
Latundan bananas (also called Tundan, Silk bananas, Pisang raja sereh, Manzana bananas or Apple bananas), are triploid hybrid banana cultivars from the Philippines. It is one of the most common banana cultivars in the Philippines, along with the Lacatan and Saba bananas.
Quote:
Although short in length, apple bananas are fatter and chunkier than other small varieties and its flavor, once ripe, is both tangy and sweet displaying hints of apple and strawberry. Though they can be enjoyed when their skin is yellow apple bananas are at their sweetest when the peel has turned near black.
Thanks for the heads up on the okinawa sweet potatoes! I'll definitely look for them.

They had buttercup squash on sale for 79 cents! I couldn't remember if those were the ones that were so tasty??? Can the resident squash expert please help me out here???
If they are anything like delicate I need to go and stock up.

I've never added ghee to cooked food. If you like the flavor/taste it is AWESOME to use to sauté raw quinoa or rice for a couple of minutes before adding the water to cook. It imparts a really delish nutty buttery flavor. DH's mom does this with a rice and it is amazing.

thanks for sharing that soup recipe! It looks amazing!
I don't think I've tried white bean flour. hmmmm
Is it similar to chick pea flour? I bet it has an even milder taste.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #443
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TERESA....I
Quote:
would need to say something like "I am at a perfect weight for me today"
that sounds like a great affirmation!

Thanks for the ideas for affirmations. Simple is good. I need to remember to chant those to myself

YAY for no meetings till 11am! Are you off this weekend?

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CarolynF posted something in the PG that I thought was really cute and funny

It is "iPad for horses"

iPad: Now for Horses - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I can't resist my favorite talking animal video.....

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #446
Senior LCF Member

OMG! That video is so cute!
Just a quick post this morning to report the scales saying 218!!!!!!!!
I am soooooooo happy!!! I think that the cream cheese is the sensitivity and I am so hoping that things keep moving!!! Have a great day all!!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #447
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh shoot, I'll have to remember to watch that video at home this weekend (no streaming allowed here ).

Nope, not working this weekend at all! Well, I say that now but I'll likely take a couple of things home to work on but right now I'm not honestly willing to put in a whole lot more than my normal work week unless it's an absolute must. Not the best attitude but it's where I'm at right now and I have so many things to get done prior to surgery I figure this is a good time to be selfish!

Buttercup is YUM!!! I think it's the closest of all to a sweet potato, so quite a bit sweeter than a delicata. I love them sauteed/fried with green peppers---something about the sweet and bitter together. They are also good in baked things like muffins as they have a similar sweetness as pumpkin. And really---anything you would do with any winter squash or sweet potato you can do with them. Their sweetness however just lends well towards pairing them with something that is the opposite or using them in sweets IMO. I'm still amazed that they are sooooo low carb because the sweetness factor as well as the texture would make me think they would be one of the higher carb of the winter squash.

I haven't used much chickpea flour---only in gluten free mixes so I'm not positive if white bean is like it or not? It is very mild and can easily be incorporated into desserts---from what I've read and the couple times I've tried it you can exchange about 25% of the flour in a recipe with white bean flour. I love it as it has a lot of the starchiness that I seem to 'need' to feel satisfied yet it isn't that high in cals or carbs and has a lot of fiber! I just need to remember to use it more often! My problem is I buy all this stuff to try and then forget that I have it---I'm really going to work on this bad habit. OH---and Dr Oz (OK, seriously you guys are going to start thinking I'm a big fan of his but truly I'm not ) has had stuff on several times recently about how white bean supplements are good for minimizing the impact of carbs---kind of like a carb blocker---which makes sense because I think that is typically one of the main ingredients in actual carb blockers----so I'm thinking maybe there are some other benefits of using it like keeping blood sugar stable, etc. Which really, that seems to be what starches in general (as long as I don't overdo them) do for me.

OK--after talking about white bean flour and possible benefits---I think I will go do some research on it and try to find some more recipes!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #448
Big Yapper!!!!

JAIME--- You are in the teens!!!! You go girl!!! And what a way to start the weekend off right!

OK---it might all be a fluke, and nothing to play around with now that you are on a roll, but the recent increase in cals and carbs may have kick started things for you so that *might* be an indication that you need to increase one or both of them. Not now---but just something to keep in the back of your mind in case you do start stalling out again.

Have a great day!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #449
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh and Liz---I want to know how that apple banana is?! I'm not sure if I would like it w/p.b. though if it has a bit of a strawberry taste...? But it definitely sounds like something I would want to try. At the same Asian store where I get the okinawa sweet potatoes I do remember seeing a barrel full of small bananas with black skin---I don't remember if they were chunky or not though----but I didn't go near them because in my head if they're black they're rotten! Now I will have to remember to go check them out!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
The house has been on the market 2 weeks now and has been shown about 7 times. Two people are interested in a second showing possibly. Keep your fingers crossed.

Teresa, nothing is schedule for spring break the week after next. Just a laid back week which isn't all bad. I read a ways back that you are going to surgery. I will have to go back and catch up.

Liz, thanks for the re-welcome.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote