LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #361
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Happy Hump Day all!

Winifred---so how are thing going with you?

Vicki---and how are things going with you? Do you have Spring Break coming up soon? Any fun plans? We still need to get together sometime!

Linda---definitely keep us posted! I am moving towards the flexitarian lifestyle (thanks Vicki for introducing me to that term!) so could use any tips you have. I still get concerned about getting in enough complete protein but I haven't had any meat for a week now and I'm doing OK. I am relying a whole lot on yogurt and quinoa as well as sprouted wheat bread w/pb to make sure I'm getting those complete proteins and although those are all things that I love I think I'm gonna get bored so I need to be able to branch out a bit!

Lynn--how's the detox going?

Laura---since the hair loss topic keeps coming up I'm guessing you already know this but in case you don't it's very common to lose hair at about 3-4x the normal rate after surgery. This can start right away but typically doesn't happen until a few months after surgery and then continues for several months. I believe that the hair loss is often even more dramatic for WLS, especially because the limited food intake right before as well as after surgery---extreme low calorie dieting is also a big culprit for hair loss. You mentioned having a hard time getting in your protein however getting in that protein as well as taking all vitamins/supplements needed will be key in resolving the hair issue. Hang in there---today is a new day!

Jaime---absolutely post your menus! Yesterdays looks great by the way although it might be a little low on fat---it's hard to tell without knowing how stuff is prepped, etc. I think before we can figure out what is working or not I have a few questions (what's new? ) "Working" I have found is not based only on the scale but a bunch of other things as well. So how are you feeling? What's your energy level? How are you sleeping? Do you get hungry and if so how long before a meal? Do you know how many calories you are taking in on average and what your ratios are (fat/protein/carbs)? Anything feel or seem different about you, your health, concentration, attitude, etc. etc. when comparing now to before l.c.?

Shoot, meeting time again.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Hi everyone,
I'm doing great with my new WOE. I pray I will continue. My MO is to get VERY excited about something initially and then somehow I lose my enthusiasm. But, because I'm not doing this for weight loss but rather my health I think this time will be different. I'm still reading the China study and today was reading about heart disease and it drove home the message that I need to be doing this to save my life. It will be one year next month that I had open heart surgery and I NEVER want to have to go through that again.

I am not only cutting out dairy and aminmal proteins but fat also. Today I made a recipe I found for FF salad dressing. It is awesome. I know you guys don't do FF but you could add some oil to this, maybe even some seasame oil and it would work too.

So, for lunch I had a HUGE salad made up of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes,celery topped with fresh beets and steamed kale, 1/2 cp. lima & kidney beans, 1 oz. avocado, 1 kiwi, 1/2 navel orange, 1/2 oz. walnuts with this dressing on it. Yummmmm, I was so full and feel so satisfied.

FAT FREE ORIENTAL GINGER DRESSING
This is from from Dr Barnard's Blog. Sounds pretty good.
Bursting with flavor, this dressing will serve to perk up any boring salad. It's so tasty, you won't notice it's fat-free.

Ingredients
Makes 2 cups
1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
Directions
Combine garlic and vinegar in a lidded container for 10 minutes to take the edge off garlic. Add remaining ingredients and shake well.
Nutrition Information | Per tablespoon

calories: 11; fat: 0 g; saturated fat: 0 g; calories from fat: 1.8%; cholesterol: 0 mg; protein: 0.2 g; carbohydrates: 2.7 g; sugar: 2.2 g; fiber: 0.1 g; sodium: 45 mg; calcium: 2 mg; iron: 0.1 mg; vitamin C: 2 mg; beta-carotene: 1 mcg; vitamin E: 0 mg
Recipe from Food for Life instructor Evelisse Capo
Lost 100 pounds, my story

Last edited by DENMW; 02-22-2012 at 10:37 AM..
DENMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbMe
Stats: 250/200.6/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/7/2013
Good morning!

I'm feeling really good about my detox week! So far so GOOD! Evening is my hardest time for sure but if I have some fat, and 4 ounces of protein with my evening meal that really helps. After dinner, I just jug VERY COLD ice water with some stevia flavoring and I do just fine! And yay! midterms over and did well on both (high 90's).

Winifred: I decided to do a VERY CLEAN week because after I went off JUDDD I fell into some sugar carbs and I wanted to clean those out of my system. When I have sugar in my system it usually makes me crave more and more. I usually drop some lbs on this week too because I am keeping my carbs very low, with moderate fat and protein. I will post my results and my phase 2 eating plan on Monday.

I hope your doing well and sticking to your plan too!

Teresa: I been able to replace some flours (coconut and flax) with oat fiber (no calories) with some good results. First, it considerably cuts calories, keeps you full, and also lightens the texture of whatever your making. I DON'T recommend using only oat fiber cuz it tastes really funky alone!

Jaiyce: Being mad is a normal reaction! I know I've been there many times. I rant and rave that it's just not fair (because it isn't) but at the end of the day I still have to deal with my body!

Keep in mind that YOU are doing GREAT! You've been sucessful and have lost an amazing amount of weight in a rather short time! Please don't let this plateau derail you! FYI, I could NEVER loose as fast as that!!!

Now, I'm not a diet expert and really couldn't address the ratios of your fats/protines/carbs but I can offer a bit of advice! Make sure you are happy with what you are eating! Without this, your program will fail! There are an endless variety of things you can make low carb. I don't know if you have explored Linda Sue's site but google Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that you MUST vary your food. Don't eat the same things day after day (maybe that is how you keep interest?).

Also, do you think you are retaining fluid? If so you can juice a lemon (make lemonade) and drink it for a few days because it is a semi-diuretic and it can flush your system. Just a little trick, drink VERY COLD ice water for your liquid. Your body has to expend energy to get this at your body temperature for processing. It absolutely helps me but YMMV. Are you able to get any exercise in? Just a little? Maybe a brisk 10-20 minute walk?

Change your mindset make this plan your WOE instead of a temporary diet. And remember EVERYBODY goes through these bumps in the road, it's how you deal with it that can make you a success in the long run.

That's it for me ladies, happy hump day!!

~Lynn~
LowCarbMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #364
Big Yapper!!!!

Afternoon ladies. I took a couple of hours off this afternoon since it was supposed to be beautiful out---and it is! I took a long walk and even jogged a few blocks a couple of times during the walk. No---still don't like jogging but sometimes I just want to run...and it felt good.

I'm watching the last part of Dr Oz. I have mixed feelings on the guy, he seems to be just pushing lots of products for various companies but some of it is pretty interesting. He just featured coconut palm sugar---which is one of my most favorite things! He pretty much confirmed everything I've read and experienced with it and I hope that as a result it will become more popular so I don't have to worry about it disappearing from the shelves---not because of popularity but because no one buys it so they don't carry it anymore.

Lynn---so do you think you can use up to 25% oat fiber? I remember I used to add it to OMM's but I don't remember how much.

Fantastic job on your grades!! And great job on sticking with the detox plan! So do you know what is next after detox?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Linda---glad things are going well! So why is this thing called the China study? They do eat fats and animal products (although waaayyyy less than us) so I'm assuming it's not a study of Chinese peeps....? I think I'm going to have to go look for some more info.

Speaking of 'us' as far as what we eat I heard this morning that 1/3rd of all Americans are obese. Wow---I guess I was just way ahead of my time.

Gonna go enjoy a cup of tea and then do some dishes and then....absolutely nothing.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #365
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Teresa, spring break is the week of the 19th, nothing yet planned. I am currently readying my house to put on the market. Hopefully soon, like days.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Yes i'm sticking to plan.Guess I'm just getting anxious and looking for ways to speed up my weight loss.I watched Dr Oz today and he showed 4 different teas that help with weight loss.Pu-erh tea for fat burn,white tea,chickweed tea,and bilberry tea.I guess he gives good pointers but on a fixed income,I can't afford everything he recommends.I just feel from past experince low carb and excerise is my way of life.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaiyce
Stats: 262.9/174/144
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 21, 2011
Hi everybody

Thanks so much for all the support!

I am going to pick up some lemons and try that, I do think I am puffy!

I am not sure if anything is different, I did go get blood work taken today to make sure my thyroid is still ok, It could be that. I am on a pretty strong dose as my thyroid is really slow...I will know in a couple days about that. I had a very stressful couple weeks at work, but it's going to be this way food a while. I am not a great sleeper, I have bursitis which flares up each night in cold months and really impacts my sleep. I am more hungry, when reflecting on that I think I could find ways to add snacks and avoid hunger??.

Today was a very busy day so I don't think I ate enough and will work hard to add more balance tomorrow. I love Linda's recipes, we have made a few....infact tonight was one!

B- 2 eggs and sausage and coffee with cream
L- angus burger at McDonalds (no bun) with bacon and cheese
D- chicken (with mushroom sauce) and salad with Ranch dip
S- Linda's jello cheesecake with tea and cream
S- cheese

Thank you so much for your help...
Jaiyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning....well, it is still morning here at least! And it's Thursday! Although I will be in the office again this weekend.

Vicki---you're selling your house?? Are you and DF buying a new one? I bet you can't wait until Spring Break, I wish we got those!

Winifred---yeah, I would be broke and majorly overweight if I bought and used everything Dr Oz promoted! Seriously, he is like---eat this 5x per week and this everyday and this....blah, blah, blah. Is he serious? I think if I added up the cost and calories just of all the foods/supplements/etc. he promotes on one weeks worth of shows I would probably be eating 5000 cals or more a day, popping pills non-stop and spending a small fortune!

Jaime---if you're feeling hungrier, then I suspect something needs to change. You might need to add snacks, you may just need to add some fat to your meals, or you may need to change up the types of food you are eating. It also may be time to climb the proverbial carb ladder. For me if I find myself feeling hungrier for more than a day or two on basically the same amount of food/cals then it typically means my macros are off. I'm either getting too much animal protein (I'm probably the exception to the rule on this one) or not enough fat or not enough starch, etc. It also can mean I am getting way too many carbs or I'm not balancing well at each meal. If I stop and think back through a couple of days worth of menus I can usually spot what's different and that often will give me the answer.

Nothing too exciting going on here. I think we are getting ready for some major changes at work....just not sure what they are and if they will impact me. I suspect I will know by the beginning of next week.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies, still on track, spring is in the air, and feeling good!

Winifred: Please don't let Dr. OZ make you feel like there is some Magical formula out there for weight loss! If those products help at all, a bet it's very, very small amount! I've gone down that path before buying this or that that's suppose to help lose weight and I've always been disappointed (and broke)!

You're on the right path! Low carb will take you very far in your weight loss journey. It's always slower than we want it to be! Stick with the basics and you'll be fine. If you get stuck, ask for help!!!

Teresa: Good for you for leaving work early. I hope you enjoyed your afternoon!

On the oat fiber, I think 25% is good. I sometimes even go as high as 50%. I guess it depends on our individual tastes. Here is a recipe that I picked up on the JUDDD board. It's called a biscuit but to me it's more like an english muffin. It would be great for a breakfast sandwich however, I usually apply butter and some SF syrup. It actually makes 2 biscuits (small) for 40 calories each. My tweaks are in ().

Yummy Biscuits

1 1/2 TBSP of Coconut flour (heaping TBSP)
1 1/2 TBSP of Oat Fiber (heaping TBSP)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 pinches of sea salt
1 egg (1/4 cup egg whites)
water for correct consistency(1/4 cup coconut milk)
1 1/2 TBSP of chia gel (optional, my tweek)
1/2 tsp ACV
1/8 tsp glycerine (optional, my tweek)
1/4 tsp gluc powder (optional, my tweek)

Mix dry and then add wet. Let mixture sit until thick (1-2 min). Spray 2 ramikins and divide batter.

Microwave for 2 minutes on 80% power.

Remove and slice in half. Bake in toaster oven until tops are browned. Enjoy

This with butter and sf syrup and a small amount of protein keeps me until lunch. I think the taste is Okay to Good, but not like a HC english muffin, for sure.

I'm also working on a pumpkin muffin using flax and oat fiber. It's showing real promise.

Jaiyce: I think you'll get to the root cause now that you're exploring posibilities!

One thing I do when I'm experiencing hungar is try to add more fiber to my diet. But it is true you may just need to eat more.

When I get overly hungry too often, at some point, all ration flies out the window and I turn into a raving mad woman. Hunger is a drive that must be listened to!

Well, ladies gotta go, Sophie is begging for a walk and it's beautiful outside!

Last edited by LowCarbMe; 02-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies!

Dr Oz, I loved him when he was on Oprah but now his show seems like an hour long commercial...I don't bother anymore. I did try his diet once and dd well, but it was ALOT of work and not sustainable for a busy working Mom.

I am noticing its getting harder to stop eating at meals...I noticed today I was not hungry for a long time, then suddenly starving. I will keep notes for a few days and hopefully I can figure out the plan...

HereS today
B- 2 eggs, mushroom and cheese omlette coffee with cream
L- salad with pork chop ( I know, weird right...lol...all I had for a protein option) added cheese, avocado, little bit of low carb salsa
S- bar ( I was planning to avoid them but got stuck out and about and it's all I had)
D- Linda's enchilada bake on salad with a little sour cream
S- pepperoni
S- Linda's cheesecake

Have a great day ladies....our all in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning---TGIF!!

Jaime---keeping a food journal or log or something can definitely be really helpful! As far as the bars go---if they actually fill you up then they probably are a good thing for emergencies. For me all those kinds of things just made me more hungry. There are also lots of recipes for lc bars that you can make, then you don't have to worry about the weird ingredients that might stall you or whatever if you want to eat them more frequently.

Lynn---thanks for the recipe. Looks like an OMM with a ton of different ingredients! It's a good reminder though for me as when I try new 'flours' I often experiment with them in OMM's to get an idea of how they 'work.' I don't use flax though, usually sprouted wheat or a gluten free bake mix or whatever kind of flour I need to use up!

Well---I waited too long on the spaghetti squash. I had it for several months (kept in a cool place) and it seemed fine a couple of weekends ago when I was going to make it but last night I finally decided to give it a go and it was getting soft.....so I tossed it. Can't say I'm too sad as I have a feeling I won't like it. But I'm sure once they show up at the Farmer's Markets this fall I'll buy another one and maybe actually try it!

Weds we were in the 50's with sunshine...yesterday it was cold and rainy which turned into ice and snow overnight. Hopefully just another month or so of these crazy extremes and then it will be spring! Although we have a lot of ups and downs in the spring, usually they are in a higher temp range.

Today is National Tortilla Day---just in case you all somehow didn't already know that! We're having a nacho bar to celebrate. I like nachos and will eat that kind of stuff occasionally but luckily it's one of those things I can easily pass up. I did make some treats that although they are made with things I will eat---they are way easy for me to overeat---so I'm hoping they all get eaten up today!

Have a great day ladies and an even better weekend!!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Mornin All!

Still on plan! Last night was tough though. Couldn't sleep - HUNGRY! I keep flavored ICE water on my night stand and so I just gulped it! Had naughty thoughts of getting up and going to the frig. It was close, but in the end I won. Feeling achy today and that's usually my body telling me I'm gonna drop some pounds soon.

I'm glad my detox is about over! Keeping my carbs so low has been energy draining but it has stopped my cravings for the carbs which was my goal. (In fact, when I was thinking about going to the frig, my thoughts turned toward low carb foods like turkey and cheese roll ups.)

So on Monday, I will post my new plan. It's also going to include a wee bit of exercise. The goal of my plan is to keep my body guessing about intake and exercise so it can't adapt to what I'm doing in hopes that it will help me more easily shed the pounds. I was on a similar program before and it DID work for me. I'm not advocating anyone change plans, I'm just trying to find one that works well for ME and one that I can live with. When I had ALOT to loose, basic low carb worked GREAT. Then when I had less to loose, it became VERY difficult. I was stuck at 190 for years. And now I am older (55) which is also a strike against losing weight!

Jaiyce: Now, I've been around the dieting block for awhile (at least my life), I've heard many times that if you're hungry in the evening, you haven't had enough for breakfast? For me this has somewhat been true, so just putting it out there.

Also, being satisfied one moment and starving the next sounds psychological to me. Maybe you need to have something NEW and YUMMY! Here is a breakfast recipe that I used at the beginning of my low carb journey that I really enjoyed (something different than just the usual eggs).

CJ's Breakfast Pudding
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
3 tablespoons half and half
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
vanilla sugar-free syrup to taste
1 pinch cinnamon

Mix first three ingredients together in a saucepan - cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Add Flax and syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes enough for two servings.

Per Serving: 149 Calories; 11g Fat (67.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium.

When I had it, I made a large batch and would have 2 servings for breakfast. You could use HWC instead of the half and half. If you don't like the flaxseed, I'm sure you could leave it out. (It's probably there to help make it chewey and thus more satisfying! You could also use chia seeds instead too!)

Anyway, hang in there! I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of things and we are here to help!

Teresa: It sounds like most of your challenges come from work! What a foodie company! If you also sit near by, a double-whammy! I know I could not bear all that temptation. It would drive me MAD!

You're spaghettti squash experience sounds like mine! I buy one, let it sit for months and then when I'm ready to try it once again, it's gone bad!

I've had trouble developing a taste for it! I actually now enjoy shirataki noodles more than spaghetti squash! There's just something about the squash's texture that doesn't do it for me!

What yummy things do you plan on cookin up this weekend? I'd love to know more about your WL plan too.

Well that' it for me ladies, have a wonderful onplan weekend!

~Lynn~
Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the posts on Dr Oz,I'm sticking with low carb it seems to work for me.I know this will work.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #374
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning...yawn.....

Winifred---it will definitely work---I bet it's working right now!! So do you weigh in regularly or take measurements?

Lynn---yay on continuing to rock your detox plan!! I'm excited to hear more about your next steps! I'm not doing anything too exciting at the moment. I've been trying to cycle carbs and calories a bit but since I eat 2 out of 3 meals at work everyday that means really doing lots of planning and I just haven't put the time into it. I do however think it is working/will work better than just cutting cals and/or carbs as doing either or both of those has been getting me no where.

Yes--we like to eat here at work A LOT! Next week we have food related things 2 days plus all the candy bowls and misc baked goods, etc. that people (including me ) randomly bring in. In theory since I live alone food should be so easy for me to control but since I spend the majority of my waking hours at work---and I'm surrounded by food all the time---I don't think I have it any easier than someone who has kids and lots of junk food around!

I have a thing of shiratake noodles in my fridge. I've had them for about a year. They probably aren't good anymore....I should check the date. But honestly....they scare me!! So what exactly do you do with them? If you were going to recommend them to a first timer how would you suggest they eat them....like in soup or a stir fry or something? I'm not a huge pasta/noodle fan but when I have the desire for it I usually just eat organic whole grain or gluten free kinds of pasta. I used to eat Dreamfields occasionally and I think I still have some but honestly I don't see any difference in my reaction to that vs the more natural ones I buy---so I would rather avoid the overly processed stuff. Oh---and I love zoodles as well!

As far as what I'm cooking up this weekend....not sure! Two things I've been wanting lately---one is Linda Sue's Chicken with Peanut Curry Sauce:

CHICKEN WITH PEANUT CURRY SAUCE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

This stuff is the bomb!! I haven't been eating meat much at all the last 2 weeks but I've made this before with half the amount of chicken it calls for and it is divine! If I get myself to the store I might even make it with turkey instead as apparently that is supposed to be better for me (based on blood type diet). The other thing I have been wanting is something oatmeal---like maybe no bake cookies or oatmeal caramelitos. I'll probably make snacks to bring into work next week so whatever I make will likely be something with oatmeal so I can get my fix! And the treats I brought in yesterday went over very well. Everyone here knows I'm the 'health nut' so they are always interested in what ingredients I use, how do I make it taste 'real' etc. If I could just push them all over the edge to a more whole foods approach my life at the office would be so much easier!

Well, it's still fairly cold and yucky outside but tomorrow might get as high as 50--so hopefully I can get a good walk in. Appt with my surgeon on Monday so I'm planning on starting the process and hopefully getting a date set up. Although I would love to drop another lb, or 10 , prior to surgery at this point I need to focus on eating very healthy and avoiding anything 'diety' or anything 'binge inducing' as being as healthy as possible prior to surgery is always my first goal.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! Mine will 'start' in about 4-5 hours when I get out of here (the office)!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Everyone,

Lynn- thank you for the recipe and I am so going to make that. I need to pick up ricotta but I do have flax meal so I will try that. How much longer are you on the detox? I am looking forward to seeing your new plan. I need to figure out a new trick for me.

Teresa- I am going to look for those bars I can make today! The Atkins ones I love, but I think it could be one of the issues for me I understand your work troubles... I work with a 105 pound boss who could eat anything. She does eat healthy but is able to eat carbs and treats all the time. I am so jealous! Chocolate is ALWAYS around!

So yesterday I was at a birthday party and did
Pretty good...no bites or anything but I think I still ate to much, I am figuring out that I may be sensitive to salt and I must have had to much yesterday

B- Atkins shake and cheese
L- we went to a meeting in a restaurant that makes homemade everything food it was amazing...and I ate to much I ordered a bacon and mushroom burger ( yup it was 11 oz!) and I took the bun off and ate the entire thing with a side Caesar
D- went to party at "Earls" ate 5 hot wing, 4 dry garlic ribs, Cajun chicken sandwich ( no bun) and Caesar salad side
S- pepperoni stick and cheese

So here are a few things I am going to try ( please feel free to add your input if you think I am off or on)
- no more diet pop for a month ( I drink about 1-2 a day)
- reduce salt when possible
- skip bars for 2 weeks (Atkins one)
- increase net carbs to 30 a week
- stick to the 4-6 oz of animal protein a meal ( I think I am eating to much)
- I am not sure what to do about the fat, I think I have too much? What o you think? I think of the fat in the meat and in the wings and think it may be to much
- use fit day to trak for 2 weeks minimum
- begin exercise ( I am deactivating my membership today!

I really need some weight loss wins here...I have 82 pounds left to go and have basically sice Feb 1 only lost 3 pounds! At that rate I am not going to get to goal weight for 10 years!

Thanks for all your support and feed back

I hope you guys have a great day,

You are all in my tights and prayers
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Hello Everyone!

It's snowing here today! Just when you think Spring is around the corner, Mother Nature has it her way!

Well, still on detox and doing FINE! One more day to go and I'm not about to blow it! According to this program I am following, on day three or four, you're suppose to have an energy shift. Your body is suppose to go to your fat storage for it's needs and energy is suppose to surge! I thought, ya right, maybe for some people, but it will never work for me! BUT it did!

Yesterday, day 4, I felt wonderful and had so much more pep in my step! This detox week is also suppose to prepare you for this carb cycling program. I am hopeful, but I never seem to loose as much as other peeps report on any program. I don't know if its my age, metabolism, or what but I've come to accept it and deal.

Yesterday evening, hungry again so I decided to make something yummy that wasn't carby and I could portion to small quantities! I made Coconut Bark. I've tried several recipes in the past but this one is one of my top picks:

Coconut Bark
2 Tbl. dark hershey's cocoa
8 Tbl. unsalted butter
8 Tbl. coconut oil
1 1/2 to 2 Tbl. heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
4 nlittle spoons of stevia
4 pinches of sea salt
toss in a handful of pecans

mix the butter and oil, add the cocoa and mix again. Add the cream, vanilla, stevia, and salt, mix, and then stir in the pecan pieces. Put in candy molds or in silicon mini muffin pan, freeze, pop out and enjoy creamy goodness.

I try to limit to one or two pieces at a time. Yes, it does seem to soften the hungar cry for awhile AND for me it helps to stop the cravings! You know type of crave/drive I'm talking about? But it doesn't stop my hunger where I forget to eat for hours like some peeps report!

Teresa: I can't image the challenge with food at your work! I have to deal with a husband and a daughter, but you have to make peace with a whole company! Your resolve must be SUPER!

I know what you mean about the shirataki noodles. I eventually threw out the first ones I bought a couple of years ago! They're not for the faint of heart!

I do think the kind you buy has a lot to do with it though. The only shapes I will buy are Orzo, rice, and Short Angel hair. The Orzo is very rice like, so you can easily put it in stir frys, and soups. You must think asian noodles and NOT pasta when you cook with these, or you'll be sorely disappointed! Remember to start off with a small amount until you get used to them.

JUDDD drew me to shirataki noodles once more because of their zero calories, and fiber. I tried them in a Sausage/egg/veggie scramble and grew to really appreciate their ability to fill you up! So desperate times call for desperate measures! I actually grew to like them.

The chicken with peanut curry sauce looks delish! Thanks for recommending it to me! I love an asian peanut sauce! Yummy!

I love oatmeal too! Next week when I bring back some carbs, oatmeal will definitely be one of them! Have you seen this recipe? I've made them and like them, but I like the ones on the Quaker box better, of course!

Flour-less Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 stick melted butter (unsalted if you can)
1 1/2 cups Oatmeal (old fashioned, not quick or instant)
I scoop unflavored Whey Protein Powder (you could use vanilla here)
1/2 cup granular sweetener
1/4 cup Ideal Brown Sweetener or as posted in original recipe
1 tsp glucomannan powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 TBS egg beaters or another large egg

Mix all together and drop by heaping tsp onto a sprayed or greased cookie sheet. Flatten with back of spoon. Bake at 350 degrees until slightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes.

Makes 18 nice sized cookies, 24 if you made them smaller.

These held together great and taste really good. They are moist and chewy, but next time I may up the sweetener a bit because I think they could be sweeter.

Nutrition Facts (reflecting the use of the 2 TBS egg beaters and not another large egg, which adds 4 more calories to each serving)
Serving Size 1 Serving

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 31
Calories 61 OR Calories 65 using another egg

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 3.41g 5%
Saturated Fat 1.87g 9%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.255g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.831g
Cholesterol 18mg 6%
Sodium 67mg 3%
Potassium 26mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.51g 2%
Dietary Fiber 0.7g 3%
Sugars 0.1g
Protein 3.16g

Net Carbs: 3.81g

Definitely take care of yourself as you prepare for surgery! Diets can wait! I would love to hear about the details as you finalize plans!

Jayice: Good for you for developing a New plan. We all have to do that along our WL journey! Just a couple of comments:

I do hope that is 30 net carbs per day (instead of week)

I think it's a good idea to roughly count your calories to see what they come out to. You are right about fat, the calories add up fast! In my situation, I have to be careful with carbs AND calories.

Something else just to be aware of, you could consider eating more meals per day broken into smaller amounts. Feed your body just what it needs when it needs it. Just for example, on my detox plan, I eat 5 small meals per day but you can go up to 6 meals per day. Each meal has 3-4 ounces of protein (or equivalent), and 1 serving of Fat (rougly 50-100 calories). Please, remember that this is just what some people do! I'm not really recommending it to you, just putting it out there with the best intentions.

IMHO, this is just a small bump in the road for you! Your body is not finished losing! Age is on your side, give it some more time and remember giving up is NOT an option!

Winifred: Missed your post today! Hope things are good for you!

I can't believe how the day has flown by! Tomorrow is my last detox day and I'm ready! Good night ladies!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

I usually don't weigh at home,I go to doc every month for rountine visit and weigh there.Do you think maybe I should weigh more often?

Lynn I'm quite sure your detox plan will give you good results,just waiting to hear what your next plan is.My next move is more excerise ,I started and stopped because of knee pain.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #378
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
House went on the market Friday, hopefully it will sell soon. I am worried that there won't be anything to go to though. Still trying to get back on track. Will keep you posted.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/295/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Fonda---I'm sorry, I so understand where you're at. Strawberries by the way are totally Atkins approved as are all whole foods---just not typically eaten in most of his books during the induction period. But I'm pretty sure it would be allowed in the newest version which is much more liberal. And--really you just have to do what is right for you. For me I totally have to be able to eat foods I love---otherwise, this just isn't happening.

So have you figured out what is triggering the binges? Are you letting yourself get too hungry? Are you eating meals that really aren't your favorite thing but you feel you have to? Are you doing food planning/prep on your days off so you have great things available to eat all week? AND---is DH still leaving candy corn (or brownie bites or whatever) laying around?! Sorry for all the questions--I just always think if I can get to the root of what isn't working for me, then maybe it will be easier to turn it around. ”
Teresa: I am still trying to figure out what I need or want to do. I haven’t gotten on the scale for the past several days, and am thinking I need to weigh once a week. I think I feel deprived not eating the things I want. I feel much better physically and emotionally when I eat low-moderate carbs but have such difficulty sticking to it.
As far as the triggers, I am thinking diet pepsi may be causing some of my problems. I really need to stay away from it for awhile and see what happens. I usually don’t let myself get too hungry. I have a tendency to snack. I think my real problem is, is that I want to eat like everyone else – I want to eat anything and not gain weight or fell awful afterwards. I know in my heart that isn’t reality but having lots of issues getting my mind to realize it!!! Like I stated previously, I need to put it in perspective, I cannot have just “one bite” of something sweet because it does set me off in binges – I need to learn to deal with that and not be tempted or swayed to eat it in the first place.
I really need to work on slowing down on my eating and portion control. As far as DH leaving snack food around – no, lately he hasn’t. I have decided to try and eat mostly protein today. We had a bb tournament yesterday and I didn’t cook anything, so it is will be mostly process deli meat today and tuna.

Has anyone ever done blood work to see about food allergies or food sensitivities?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

It's Sunday and finally at a spot to take a break!

Still on plan and determined! This late morning DH and I went out to breakfast and I had a side of two scramble eggs ONLY. Earlier in the morning I had the yummy biscuits (80) calories with my usual butter and SF syrup. Didn't feel deprived at all! Yay, I'm going to make detox!

Winifred: I like my scale to hold me accountable but it can get out of control and obsession can set in!

Some people do weigh only once a month which is fine but if you had more feedback on how you are progressing would it help to motivate you? How about measuring yourself with a tape measure once a week and keep a record? You could start with upper arms, upper legs, hips, and waist or whatever is convenient!

Also, don't give up on exercise quite yet! You could do a arm routine with soup cans if you don't have hand weights. Also, you could google isometric exercises in a chair and create a program for yourself that you feel comfortable with. isometric exercise is about contracting muscles with no jumping around. You could track your frequency and progress! If you can't find an arm routine, I have one that I love. It's from a magazine many years ago. If you PM me with your email address, I could send you a copy, if that would help.

And I'm glad you posted! Please continue!

Fonda: Yes, I've had blood work done for food sensitivities! It was expensive and insurance didn't cover BUT I did learn about my food sensitivities which I had 23. I learned I was VERY sensitive to almonds, egg yolk, and milk (but not cheese or butter) and pretty sensitive to wheat. The others no so reactive to.

I was having some digestive issues in which I didn't know the cause, and once I omitted milk (cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, regular yogurt), it cleared up. Also, when I was eating almonds regularly, I developed psoriasis in my arm pit. I didn't connect the two at the time and neither did my DRs., but now since I stay FAR away from almonds my skin is completely problem-free.

Teresa: I hope you are enjoying your day (free from work)!

Well ladies, lazy Sunday afternoon, and I'm ready for a nap! Have a wonderul on-program day!

~Lynn~
Old 02-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Hello again!

For those of you interested in shirataki recipees you can get a FREE, yes that's FREE cookbook (valued at $29.99).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...recipes-2.html

On post #15 there is a link!

This thread also contains several recipes as well!

Hope you enjoy!

~Lynn~
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lynn,I have found 2 chair excerises on you tube so I will do those,along with arm and leg excerises and walks threw the house.I'm gonna see how I like weighing once a week.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Hi everybody,

Feeling blah blah blah

Hope you all had a good day...

B-3 scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon
L- mc double plain no bun
S-2 pepperoni, 1oz cheese
D- 4 oz steak with 2 cups Caesar salad
S- Linda's low carb cheesecake
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #384
Big Yapper!!!!

Good morning. It's Monday. Meh.

Jaimie---sorry you are feeling blah. Your list of changes looks good---and very ambitious! Are you planning to do/change all those things at once? I think it would definitely be rough but if you can do it you should see some changes. One thing I noticed looking at your last 2 menus is there aren't many veggies. Don't get me wrong, veggies aren't a must I don't think but you might find that adding some with some good fats would be very filling and a pretty safe way to gradually up the good carbs. As far as too much fat--I don't think so but I could be wrong. I think tracking your macros for a couple of weeks should give you the answer but if I were going to say there is too much of anything I would say protein.....but I am very sensitive to meat types of protein so that may be why that sticks out to me. Also a lot of the meats you list (and even cheese) are pretty high in sodium so that might be an issue. I know there is an answer to all this for you---and you have been working so hard so I have to believe you are going to get a break very soon! And although I am not big on counting calories and formally tracking everything---I do believe that doing that for a bit may be very eye opening and just the ticket as far as figuring out what might need to change. Hang in there!

Lynn---so, did you complete your detox yesterday?? I'm excited to hear your results and about the next phase of your plan!

I tried c.o. bark 1 time several years ago and hated it. But I'm not a big fan of coconut and when I've used it, it tends to stall me. Even when I was over 300 lbs and losing at a good rate if I added in c.o. I wouldn't lose. Interestingly according to the blood type diet it's an Avoid food for me....so for the most part I do! I eat lots of coconut palm sugar with no problem but the sugar doesn't come from the nut...or the fruit...or whatever a coconut is! Coconut oil does however make my skin soft and I found out after my last surgery that just having a couple of tablespoons a day in my tea really helped with healing so I will be using it again soon. Maybe I'll try making one of the barks that has pb in it---everything is better with pb!! Oh and another odd thing with coconut oil----I can't use it on my lips, it makes them swell and burn. I also don't see much improvement when I use it directly on my skin (although luckily other areas of my body don't have a negative reaction to it) but when I ingest it I do get the lovely soft skin right away---which I love.

Thanks for all the info on shiratake. I need to check and see if mine has expired or not. If not, I will be brave and try it out soon! I'm thinking with a stir fry but I'll check out that thread and see what looks good. I'll also check out that free cookbook.

Interesting on the psoriasis and food allergies. I developed psoriasis about 9 years ago and with low carbing the vast majority of it disappeared...with the exception of a patch on my left elbow and a patch of the right side of my scalp. I'm sure it probably is food related.

Winifred--I think you should weigh and or measure on a schedule that works for you! Like Lynn said, if it motivates you to do it more frequently, then by all means do. If it is frustrating then I wouldn't. I wish I wasn't such a slave to the scale, but then again for me historically if I'm not weighing then I'm not behaving! Even when I eat horribly now I make myself get on the scale---everyday. May not be a good plan for anyone else but for me it's necessary I think to avoid denial---which is where I lived most of my life.

Vicki---good luck with the house---hope you find some buyers soon! So are you planning to relocate or are you staying in the same town? Gosh, with all the foreclosures, etc. around I would think you would be able to find something nice at a very decent price right now---I hope so anyway!

Fonda---so what kind of things are you feeling deprived of? There are truly so many fantastic low carb things to eat! And this is coming from someone who tried low carb off and on for 10 years---knowing it was what was right for my body but dreading the food choices. I was not a fan of meat and hated veggies....and actually wasn't too keen on eggs or cheese (unless it was on pizza ). This time around I spent a ton of time really understanding the science of it all and finding tons of recipes that worked for me---and actually with time I grew to love some of the stuff that used to totally turn me off. There are so many ways to do low carb. On this board people tend to stick to just meat and veggies--which is fine if that works for them. It didn't work for me, but like I said I knew l.c. was what I needed to do so I had to create a plan that worked for me. You can do that too!!

Dr appt in a couple of hours. Kind of nervous as I'm not sure how much of the upper body stuff he is going to be able to finish/correct, or if the 'enhancements' are even going to be an option. But I guess...whatever will be will be.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #385
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Ladies!

It's a new day and a new plan! A new game plan that is! This one does allow some carbs of specific types on specific days! The goal is to stop the body to adapting to your eating plan.

2/20: 183.4
2/27: 180.8

Loss of 2.6 lbs which is really good for me because I was pretty empty from JUDDD, and I'm a SLOW loser. When I get into my 170s I will update my stats!

I think that my body is VERY smart in the sense that it calculates my eating patterns and does everything it can to conserve energy! I know that is true for exercising! A few years back, my husband and I walked alot! And while this made a difference for him, for me no difference. Just stuck at the same weight (190) and the same body shape.

My plan also will change slightly every three weeks! So for the next three weeks, this is what I will be doing:
  • 5 small meals per day
  • 3 ounces of protein with each meal (or equivalent)
  • 4 servings of fats per day (up to 100 calories per serving) (If I get hungry, I will go for an extra fat)
  • *Starches and fruit, see below
  • 80+ ounces of water
  • Eat up to two hours before bedtime
  • No snacking between meals
  • Juice of 1 lemon 3 days a week or more (Keeps me from retaining water, and it feels like a treat, and great for adrenals with the vitamin C)
  • 1/2 tsp of sea salt in a glass of flavored water (for my adrenals)
  • 6-8 hours of sleep nightly
Carbs/Starches Cycling
  • Monday: 1 serv of starch with meal before 3 pm
  • Tues: 1 serv of starch with meal before 3 pm
  • Wed: 2 serv of fruit one in the AM and one after 3:00 pm with meal
  • Thur: 2 starch before 3 pm with meal
  • Fri: 1 starch before 3 pm with meal
  • Sat: 1 starch or fruit at every meal
  • Sun 2 serv of starch before 3 pm
On exercise, I'm going to incorporate some, but try to vary it to avoid adaptatoin. So I thought about all the exercise suff I had around the house to keep it varied, and came up with this plan.

Exercise (mix it up to avoid adaptation)
  • Mon: 15 min arm weights/8 minute isometric DVD
  • Tues: 15 min arm weights/ 15 minutes rebounder
  • Wednesday: stationary bicycle / interval training (10 min warm up/2 min hard/5 minute recovery) for 30 min.
  • Thursday: Resistance bands/walk outside for 30 minutes
  • Friday: Treadmil/ interval training (10 min warm up/2 min hard/5 minute recovery) for up to 30 min.
  • Sat: 1 hour on stationary bike (2 fatloss programs)
  • Sun: Off

List of Allowed Starches
Beans 1/2 cup cooked
Oatmeal (1/2 cup dry measure)
Cream of Rice or Wheat
Ezekiel bread (2 slices)
Grits (1 serving per package label)
Rice (1/2 cup cooked)
Potatoe, any kind (6-8 ounces)

Todays food plan:
B egg whites 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup of oatmeal YAY!
Lunch: 3 oz of chicken, spinach
Snack: Warm mocha pudding (coconut milk (50 calories), cocoa, 1/2 serv chocolate protein powder, pinch of salt, drop of vanilla, 1/2 tsp of gluc powder
D: Steak, broccoli
Snack: Fish soup

Please feel free to make comments on the plan!. It's a plan personalized for ME and can be tweaked at any time!

Off to make my breaky! Ladies, have a fantastic on-program day!

Oh yea, for those interested in the shirataki cookbook, offer expires 3/1!

Last edited by LowCarbMe; 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: incorrect
Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Good afternoon ladies!
b- QT sausage egg cheese biscuit w/out the biscuit
s- packaged turkey deli meat
l-frozen grilled talapia w/ frozen broccoli and cauliflower; 1/2 c cottage cheese and carbmaster peach yogurt
d- hamburger patty w/mayonnaise packet
s- skinless almonds w/sea salt and olive oil
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Laura: so sorry you are going through such a difficult time, as several have shared - give yourself some time to mourn the loss. You deserve better than that, and your body/hormones are going through such changes now from your surgery - give yourself time to heal!

Lynn: looks like a great plan!

Teresa: You always have such great advise - I really appreciate it!

Tannie: and what an incentive from your mom, and even more so that beautiful dress you have picked out!

Winifred: Staying committed has been difficulty for me as well - stick with it, you (we) CAN do it!!

Jaiyce, Vicki, Linda - Hope everything is going well! Sorry if I missed anyone.
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Looks like a good plan Lynn.Now I understand I do need to weigh more to see what is working for me and whats not.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #389
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning...is it Friday yet?!

Lynn---fantastic results!!! So are you doing the Wendy Chant (I think that's her name--something like that) program? I got that book a few years ago and thought about trying it but I never could get the science behind it. Plus by that time I was eating a lot of carbs and doing it meant I would have to give up some---which I hate! I'll be very excited to see how this works for you, maybe it will re-motivate me to try it! And--yay for oatmeal! Do you eat steel cut? Those are my fave.

Fonda---just noticed the mile tracker in your siggy. So are you walking, running, biking? Good for you for getting up and moving!

Winifred---definitely a good reason to weigh--to see what is working. And once you know what works for you, or if you decide you don't like weighing frequently, you can always go back to just monthly or whenever you visit your Dr.

Today's eating 'challenge' will be an easy one. Eating at our cafeteria where I will be getting my favorite salad loaded up with all kinds of stuff and topped with parm dressing. If I feel dessert is a must they sell Kashi bars---but honestly those things are pretty tasteless so I suspect I will pass.

Has anyone tried Spry gum? I've read about it several times and wanted to try it because it is sweetened with xylitol. I got the cinnamon kind but because of the cooling effect (or should that be affect ) it tasted like cinnamon and mint which is weird but OK....however the taste was 'chewed out of it' in like 30 seconds---seriously! So if you haven't tried it---I wouldn't bother. So there is your product review for the day.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning All!

Something I wanted to share. My body is VERY resistant to losing weight. It hates losing weight more than anything and makes me pay a price for it. I don't know about your reactions but I thought I would share mine!
  • Achy muscles: Remedy Advil
  • Day hunger: Water and Distract myself
  • Cold: Pile on more clothes. My temp. during the day usually stays at 98.3-6. I became so cold last week that I decided to take my temp, it was 97.4! Yikes!
  • Retain water: Yes, I will have a good loss, and then it's gone! That's my body retaining water. So lemon juice to the rescue!
  • Gnawing night hunger and can't sleep: Shiritaki rice made into an yummy warm oatmeal concoction.
Night hunger really used to overtake me. I am so happy that NOW I have a weapon to fight my most fierce enemy! I'm now very hopeful that I can win at the weight loss war!

Teresa: Yes, this program is based on the Wendy Chant program but it's not exactly the same! I did her program when it was hot and LOST quite easily BUT allowing myself to eat dirty carbs (surgar, refined grains, anything goes) twice a week grew to be too much. I started to crave the bad stuff and so I eventually fell into a pool of dirty carbs and it took me a LONG time to get out!

So this time I thought why not tweak it to only deal with healthy carbs, at least at the beginning. Why not allow the dirty carbs once a month or so. I do have a hard time managing frequent intake of sugar. So well see! The detox week, or deplete week is VERY hard. At the end my muscles struggle to exert any energy, but I am a rather determined person and once I get so far in, there is NO WAY I'm not going to finish.

Yea, I love steel cut oats, but in a pinch I will do old fashioned but that's it! Yesterday I baked several sweet potatoes and look forward to having them today!

Yes, the psoriasis does sound like a food sensitivity. I wonder if you could work that angle to get insurance to pay for it? Just a thought!

How was your DR visit yesterday? Is the date set? Anything to share? At the end of my journey, I will need some corrections, like a tummy tuck and skin tightening on my upper legs.

Winifred: I know getting on the scale gave me feedback that I needed to stay on track. Also, if you want (and ONLY if you feel comfortable,) you could posts your loses and we could be your cheer leaders!

Here are a couple of links with VERY easy and inexpensive LC foods, that helped me get started!

3 ingredient recipes

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pinchers.html

I also wanted to share with you that losing weight, does REALLY help knee pain. I haven't lost that much since the beginning of the year, but my knees are really feeling better! No more Advil! Yay! Hang in there, it can happen to you TOO!

Well my friends that's it for me this morning! Wishing all of you a fantastic on-program day!

~Lynn~