LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #271
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennytang
Stats: 212/169/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: January 2012
Michelle

The Medi bars aren't bad but they are pretty tiny. I like the chocolate and peanut butter ones the best.

Why do you think it's not optimal for weight loss? I'm supposed to be eating 500 calories of protein, another 100 of either 1 serving of veggies and one of fruit or 2 servings of veggies. I usually choose the veggies because I'm nervous about the carbs in fruit.

I did the Atkins diet years ago and lost 40 pounds which i gained back ( and then some). The difference with the Medi diet is that not only is it low carb (under 20 per day) but also low fat. I remember eating alot of cheese, butter and bacon on Atkins but not on Medi. I do try to incorprate some healthy fats like olive oil and peanut butter.

Thank you so much for your advice. I know every body is different and reacts differently but it just seems like with such a low calorie diet - how can I NOT lose?

Jenny T

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Well, because when your calories are so low, and again, this isn't the case for everyone, your body can go into "starvation mode" and hold onto fat. Some people just have to eat more calories than others for their body to cooperate.

I'm just curious, you lost 40lbs on LC before, but you gained it back, why? You couldn't sustain the food? Do you think you will be able to live on 500-600 calories a day for the rest of your life, if you do lose the weight you want on Medi? You really have to find a plan you can stick with for life, it's not just a diet because on diets, yes you can lose weight, but if you don't sustain that certain way of eating you will inevitably gain weight back.

See me, what works for me, doesn't work for most, but when I'm in serious weight loss mode, I keep my calories low, but I still generally eat more food than your eating now. I've gotten creative at keeping my calories low. And every few days or once a week, I'll have a higher calorie day. So say, 500-800 a day, and on a weekend day I'll go up to 1500-2000 or so. Or some days I'm just hungry. True hunger, and I'll eat a lot of calories, but watch my carbs.

I can maintain my weight just fine, and even lose slowly if I don't count calories, but I prefer to see fast results. This is something I know I can sustain forever.

I'm not trying to get you off Medi, I just don't really understand it. Or how you can do it forever, ya know?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #273
Junior LCF Member

Michelle - I totally understand your questions and I had the same concerns when I started Medi.

I am only in the Acute stage of Medi - once I reach a certain goal, I will move into Maintentance and then finally Wellness.

THe theory is that on the Acute stage, you figure out what food work and don't work for you. Then, you get to increase your caloric and carb intake little by little. At the end, I will be be able to eat a normal calorie diet with carbs incorporated back in...

I think with the Atkins diet, I was eating too much fat and didn't really try hard enough to change my eating habits. I just cut down on the carbs. Since I old habits are hard to break, I just let myself slip back into bad habits...hence the 40+ pounds!

I like the Medi program for the medical component and the accountability - i go in every week and get weighed and have a personal medical consultation about my week.

You sound like you really have your weight loss regimen down. You know your body, you know how much and what you can eat...I don't think I'm there yet, you know?

I just want to lose weight fast...I guess 15 pounds in 5 weeks is pretty good but it seems slow to me...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #274
Big Yapper!!!!

I understand Jenny. That's still 3lbs a week, that's a lot! If you have concerns about your food, you might ask at your next weigh in, since you said you are supposed to figure out what foods work and don't work.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #275
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Michelle! I think I will do that.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AWEIGHSTOGO
Stats: 301
WOE: Low Carb or No Carb
Start Date: NEW START 12/11, another new start 08/09/12
Melinda: I agree with Laura and I did the same way but it was after my mother had passed away. I would call into work, didn't want to go anywhere but stay in the house or in the bed. It can get worse for some people esp. winterey cold months, they need more sunlight. It's got a name I just can't remember. But like Abbs said maybe you just want to stay snug as a bug in a rug. Take care! Karen
Just read the threads and I totally agree about the atkins bars, they are so good. My weight has stalled again. I weigh every morning. I have also been eating for breakfast an atkins bar and coffee/hwc on the to work, so much easier. But sometimes I think I don't eat enough of what I need. What do you girls think. this is what my day of eating & the times I eat.
7:00 am B- atkins bar/coffee/ w/hwc
12:30 pm - L- lc carb chilli that I gor from netrition.com, 2 nitrate-free
weiners fried in real butter
7:00 pm D- ususally freid or scrambles eggs x 2 & bacon
S- sf jello/whip cream- heavy
Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: nikkiluvslowcarb
Stats: 315 /164.4/ 155
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: June 7th 2011
Last night my uncle passed away. He had stage 4 lung cancer. I'm so sad that I can't go home to be with the family. It really sucks living so far from home.

My menu for today

Breakfast- cheerios and skim milk
Snack- banana
Lunch- Chicken and pasta Smart One
Snack- Kiwi, grapes and orange fruit bowl
Supper- not sure yet
Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #278
Junior LCF Member

Nikki -

I am so sorry for your loss. It must be hard, especially at a time like this to be far away. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jenny T
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Ladies, so glad to be home this morning so I can actually take the time to read everyones post w/out being interrupted by people at work. I do most of my post at work during my lunch break, but here lately I've had to get up and waste 15 min. of my time on my time to help straighten or fix a problem for one of the Dr.'s or girls. It's nice to be needed and helpful, But give me a break. I have been ther for 19 years.
Nikki: So sorry for your loss, I wish you you could be there with them. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Laura: Hope your cat is doing good. Has he ever had this before and is he asthmatic. We have a cat that come into the clinic that has asthma and he has to be on steroids and inj. to keep it in check.
Melinda: Great job on you wt loss but did you mean your wt is 296# now because it looks like you put 396 on your post. You hit the 3 instead of the 2 on your tabs.
Michelle hope your knee 's are holding up. Be carefull don't do major damage.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #280
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct2667us View Post
jennytang.. sugar alcohols dont stall me . I would try one and see what is dose.
Last night was me and dh's anniversary and he aske me what I wanted . I said a scale so he did . It is a weight watchers. I got one last night and it was 302.9 But this morning it was 396!!!!

B.atkins bar, coffee with hc&2 splinda

L. chicken breast and salad

s. sf jello

D.stake and green beans

s.sf jello
Girl you hit the wrong button you had a 6# wt loss. WTGG
Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #281
Big Yapper!!!!

Im so sorry Nikki. I will pray for you and your family

So, I'm doing good with my no alcohol. I really have been so stressed at work and yesterday I wanted to. Soooooooooooo bad. But I didn't. I went to my class, they changed it up a bit from last week, I really enjoyed it. I need to go to a class tonight. I'm so disappointed in myself. Yes, I didn't drink which is the biggest feat, however, I just couldn't stop eating. I ended up eating around 1900 calories and 52g carbs. It was all LC foods, no processed bad junk, but I'm paying for it today and I'm up 3lbs, so back up to 237 I've just been so hungry the last couple days, it has to be stress. Has to be.

I'm going to try to do better today. And try to keep it low calorie/low carb as I can. I just hope the hunger monster doesn't show up. I'm ok right now.

Tentatively:
B-coffee-black
L-1C chicken broth, 1/4 cup rotel, miracle rice (quick mexican soup), maybe a little cheese or HWC
S-same
D-Right now, planning on the same. That could change. Need to make a huge pot of something low calorie/low carb to keep on hand because I just haven't been able to stop eating lately. Might put a little turkey or chicken in it maybe some spinach? I will have to play with a possible recipe.
S-Only hard food I plan to possibly have today is tuna/w mayo/mustard.

I hope I can keep my menu to that.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Michelle: Just seen you where posted. Sorry about the gain, i feel for you girl. But
you will get back in control. Like Kelly Clarkson's song "What doesn't kill us makes us STRONGER!
My dh and I went out and ate Chinese last night. They have some american foods on the Buffet. It had been soooo long. I did not eat any rice or noodles. I has buttered shrimp w/sm amt of cocktail sauce, grilled chicken that they had in Italian dressing soaking. Frog legs, first time I have ever tried them they were pretty good. I did eat 2 egg rools and I know I sabotaged myself by doing that. The scales were up this a.m. 290.6# It's so werid how the scales can go up so easily. This past Sunday my wt was 283# by monday it had went up 4#'s. I really have to watch every single thing esp. salt intake and just keep drinking the water- gulp, gulp.

Last edited by AWEIGHSTOGO; 02-10-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm the same way with gains. I have to be very careful. I knew I was going to be up today. I had 2 servings of almonds among a lot of veggies. That's where my carbs came from. It doesn't matter, my body just doesn't like them. I can eat a little bit of carbs but sure not 50g.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oct2667us
Stats: 290/290/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: re start 1/6/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvslowcarb View Post
Last night my uncle passed away. He had stage 4 lung cancer. I'm so sad that I can't go home to be with the family. It really sucks living so far from home.

My menu for today

Breakfast- cheerios and skim milk
Snack- banana
Lunch- Chicken and pasta Smart One
Snack- Kiwi, grapes and orange fruit bowl
Supper- not sure yet
Huggs I know how it feel to be so far from home
Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Im so sorry Nikki. I will pray for you and your family

So, I'm doing good with my no alcohol. I really have been so stressed at work and yesterday I wanted to. Soooooooooooo bad. But I didn't. I went to my class, they changed it up a bit from last week, I really enjoyed it. I need to go to a class tonight. I'm so disappointed in myself. Yes, I didn't drink which is the biggest feat, however, I just couldn't stop eating. I ended up eating around 1900 calories and 52g carbs. It was all LC foods, no processed bad junk, but I'm paying for it today and I'm up 3lbs, so back up to 237 I've just been so hungry the last couple days, it has to be stress. Has to be.

I'm going to try to do better today. And try to keep it low calorie/low carb as I can. I just hope the hunger monster doesn't show up. I'm ok right now.

Tentatively:
B-coffee-black
L-1C chicken broth, 1/4 cup rotel, miracle rice (quick mexican soup), maybe a little cheese or HWC
S-same
D-Right now, planning on the same. That could change. Need to make a huge pot of something low calorie/low carb to keep on hand because I just haven't been able to stop eating lately. Might put a little turkey or chicken in it maybe some spinach? I will have to play with a possible recipe.
S-Only hard food I plan to possibly have today is tuna/w mayo/mustard.

I hope I can keep my menu to that.
Try making a big pot of lc soup like the cabbage and rotell tomatoes ,celeary.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

hi all. I am not going to get on my scale again next week.
been doing good on my food. I so will be glad when next tuesday so I can go shopping.

so far today I have had

Leftover chicken and greens

s atkins bar

D not sure yet (proble chicken and green beans)
s.sf jello
Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abberdoodle
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: December 2013
I'm still here, just not posting every day.

Nikki- sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you can find some comfort knowing he is out of pain and off to a better place.

Today -
B- peanut butter protein shake
L- not sure yet, maybe leftover chili?
D- stuffed green peppers. strawberries and cream for dessert.

KUTGW team
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning ladies!

Today is my weigh in day 226.6, I'm down 1.8 lbs this week. Only 11 more lbs then I'll hit my 100 lbs lost mark.

Have a great day! to all
Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

Great job Nikki!

I'm not weighing for a couple days, I know I'm up today. I had way too many calories yesterday. And carbs. Like 40g, only 20g net, but I don't do net

I'm really hoping to get into the 220's this week.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #290
Major LCF Poster!

Yea I get to go shoping in the morning. Food is good had a set back over the weekend.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Good Evening Ladies!!! Hope everyone had a good weekend, Nikki 100# loss that is GREAT.

Today was also my weighin day. My wt this a.m. was 283# I was pleasantly surprised. I know I had alot of water wt but I'll take it. I have been watching my sodium and watching exactly how many veggies I eat. I have found that if I eat too many it backfires on me. I have also learned to eat my tuna mixture w/out the pork rinds. I'm gonna have to break down and make some homemade chili and lc soup. I thought about following the cabbage soup recipe just not put any beans in it or if I do just watch how much. Everyone have a good nights sleep and a good day tomorrow. Karen

Last edited by AWEIGHSTOGO; 02-13-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Good morning girls!

Just wanted to say hello and Happy Valentine's Day! heart:

I have my 6 week weigh-in tomorrow so I will post my progress (hopefully it's better than last week ) My husband is taking me out to dinner tonight. Not the best timing since weigh in is tomorrow morning but I will definitely stick to plan - no carbs, no dessert!

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Jenny
Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Valentine's Day ladies!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning, hope everyone has a good day.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #295
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm here. Still on plan. Playing with the same 4lbs I've been playing with for 2 weeks. Not to mention TOM is due any time now. But I will push on ward!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #296
Junior LCF Member

Hi girls -

Hope everyone made it through Valentine's Day! I went out to dinner with hubby and another couple - stayed on plan and felt great!

I had my 6 week weigh-in today and I lost 2.5 pounds and all of it was fat! I'm pretty happy with that. Total for 6 weeks is 17.5 pounds. Getting there...

Have a great day.

Jenny
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!

hello all, Hope your v day was good. Mine was !! I had no cheets frist v day that has happend... I had stake and shrimp with a salad for dinner ( soooo good) and 2 sf candy....
I was at 296 yeasterday...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abberdoodle
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: December 2013
Hi ladies

B- atkins protein shake, coffee and almond milk
L- pepperoni and cheese
S- cashews
D- "cream of chicken soup"
S- wedge of brie and 1 piece of 90%cocoa dark chocolate

Trying to get more fat in my diet! So i can lose some fat off my bod!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
Hi-

Congrats to Jenny, Abbs, Nikki, Karen and Melinda for the weight they shed!

Michelle-I keep bouncing up and down too...but then..some of that with me is due to some carbs I got into so it isn't like I don't know what happened..*L* My TOM is due any day too and I always get cravings before and during. I think I'm also getting a UTI.... ugh!

Hang in there everyone!

--Laura
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

hi all , wow i am tired today. I think the not wanting to leave the house is just the cold. I hope lol. I do find I am having more engery just not at this time lol. My food is good.
How is every one doing?

B atkins bar and coffee with slpinda and hc

L 2 fried eggs and bacon

s. pickel and celery with a mayo

D. chicken tenders ( dusting of soy flour for mine)
green beans, salad

s. sf jello
Closed Thread