Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Riatha
Stats: 283.3/223.0/180
Start Date: January 2011
Ria's road to better health

Hi everyone. I am 38 years old and I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic on January 4, 2011. I was in the hospital for a severe kidney infection (4 days) and while there they kept saying things like, "your meal is from the diabetic menu" and I got frustrated and made them tell me what was going on.

I've been overweight since I was a kid. It runs in my family. All the women on my mom's side of the family are seriously obese. I am no exception. I think we're allergic to exercise. When diagnosed, I was at 283.3 lbs. This morning I weighed myself and am at 275.0 lbs. Something is working. Whether it's eating better or walking a little more. I hope I can keep losing. I really want to be under 200 lbs again.

I haven't been happy with me for a long time. I just have had so many health issues and surgeries (8 surgeries in 11 years) that I've pretty much given up. Hopefully I'll find more motivation somewhere.

Thanks for reading my introduction.
"Ria"
Riatha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Hi Ria,
You came to a wonderful place for support and info. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I had to hit rock bottom with Diabetes and feeling bad before I could turn things around and actually want to eat to live, not live to eat! I feel sooo much better eating lowcarb and have reduced my insulin needs, losing weight slowly and my clothes feel better already, since end of Dec.
Welcome to LCF and please post often as we all need you too!
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: papajack
Stats: 416/205/?
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riatha View Post
Hi everyone. I am 38 years old and I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic on January 4, 2011. I was in the hospital for a severe kidney infection (4 days) and while there they kept saying things like, "your meal is from the diabetic menu" and I got frustrated and made them tell me what was going on.

I've been overweight since I was a kid. It runs in my family. All the women on my mom's side of the family are seriously obese. I am no exception. I think we're allergic to exercise. When diagnosed, I was at 283.3 lbs. This morning I weighed myself and am at 275.0 lbs. Something is working. Whether it's eating better or walking a little more. I hope I can keep losing. I really want to be under 200 lbs again.

I haven't been happy with me for a long time. I just have had so many health issues and surgeries (8 surgeries in 11 years) that I've pretty much given up. Hopefully I'll find more motivation somewhere.

Thanks for reading my introduction.
"Ria"

Hi Ria, and welcome to the forum. You and I have so much in common. I've been "a T2 diabetic" for 20 years, or so. Just like you. "I've been overweight since I was a kid." And we also share a goal of "wanting to be under 200 lbs again."

You were "in the hospital for a severe kidney infection," and I was there this past summer having prostrate surgery. But, I handled my meals while in the hospital a little differently. I didn't ask anyone what to eat, or what they were serving................I picked out what I could eat on my plan AND TOLD THEM WHAT I WANTED EACH AND EVERY MEAL.

You see Ria, I found out something that is just amazing. I can eat a low glycemic diet (which has a lot of similarities to Lo-carbing) and which will control my blood sugar levels within a very, very narrow range. I never bother with a scale to find out how I'm doing. That damned scale will go up and down like a yo-yo, even if we're on a starvation diet! It's so frustrating when someone is eating true to their plan and the scale just won't co-operate.

My solution to that frustration is to thumb my nose at the scale. The only thing I answer to is my blood monitor. And that monitor will tell me each and every day if I'm doing what I should.

And, guess what?.....................as long as I'm doing what I need to by eating in such a way as to have no impact on my sugar levels, THE WEIGHT JUST SEEMS TO DROP OFF!

A place where we are different, though...............if you wish, you can reach your desired weight ("under 200 lbs.") before you're 40 years old! I'm going to get to that weight also, however, I'll be far closer to 70 than you'll be to 40!

I could have made this choice when I was in my 20's, or 30's, or 40's, or even in my 50's. But, I put it off until my sixties. So I won't reach that weight until I'm in my twilight years instead of like you having the choice to get there in the prime of your life.

We've all heard that "old wife's advice" which has been repeated so much that it's become accepted as fact................you know the one that says, "We're only as old as we feel." That is nothing but HOGWASH! The truth is we're as old as we are! A day we waste eating in a destructive manner can never be re-lived.
papajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Welcome Ria! I am so glad you are here with us!!! I was obese from childhood too ... until I started LC in 2003 at age 38 ... I would never have believed I could weigh a normal weight and people would see me as "normal" ... but it's been 7+ years since i started. I did make it and you can too.

Keep up the momentum!!! You are doing great!!!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
best of luck! I believe you can do it too. sometimes a serious health problem is just the kick in the pants we need to be SERIOUS about this.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks y'all.
I believe my insomnia plays a huge role in all of my health issues. I sleep 2 or 3 hours at the most and then I'm wide awake. I know that nights I manage to get 6 hrs of sleep I sure feel much more refreshed.

It's hard to get motivated to do the walking like my dr. asked me to do. I don't like to go alone and my husband, even though he says we'll go every day, finds a reason not to. I wonder if he even wants me healthy.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hazelgreen
Stats: 283/233/180
WOE: General LowCarb/Atkins
Start Date: Restart again Dec 5, 2010
welcome Ria
This is a great place for support and info.

Also lots of folks here are very knowledgeable about issues concerning diabetes, and all kinds of health issues, food issues, whatever you want to know.

Best wishes on the walking too. That is one of my challenges and I feel so much better when I "just do it". But my walking partner (a neighbor) is MIA due to being busy so I've been a slacker lately

Looking forward to seeing you around.
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks y'all.
I believe my insomnia plays a huge role in all of my health issues. I sleep 2 or 3 hours at the most and then I'm wide awake. I know that nights I manage to get 6 hrs of sleep I sure feel much more refreshed.

It's hard to get motivated to do the walking like my dr. asked me to do. I don't like to go alone and my husband, even though he says we'll go every day, finds a reason not to. I wonder if he even wants me healthy.

Something else we seem to have in common, Ria is insomnia. I've battled it all my life. A year, or so ago, instead of writing another prescription for Ambian, my doctor suggested I give Melatonin (one 5 mg. tablet per night) a try.

He explained that Melatonin was a natural hormone, sold over the counter, and is very cheap. My doctor told me that his wife had started using it with great success.

I thought to myself............., "Yeah, some over the counter tablet is going to do what prescription sleeping pills couldn't do. Right!"

Well, I gave it a try and am now getting a good night's sleep, every night, for the first time in my life.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I will have to check and make sure the melatonin doesn't interfere with all my other medications.

Do you take it just before bed, an hour before bedtime, or is there a guideline for it? I have to get up at 4:30 am every weekday (hubby and I have a 150 mile round-trip commute) so would need to take it early enough that it didn't affect me the next morning.

I also think the lack of sleep affects my glucose #'s. One night I actually slept 6 hrs (only getting up once to run to the restroom) and my # was awesome the next morning. But nights where I lay awake and toss and turn the #'s the next morning are usually higher.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I am a great fan of melatonin also.

One of its best attributes is lack of grogginess the next morning. I don't think it interferes with other meds, but maybe check with your doctor to be sure.

If you're getting up at 430am, probably take one around 9pm? Maybe earlier but I'm basing that on you being a 6 hour sleeper. Maybe try it first at 8pm. I get drowsy within an hour after taking it, and initially took it to STAY asleep, which is what it really helps with. I never had trouble getting to sleep but would wake up way too early, and then toss and turn like you said.

Sleep is a wonderful thing

My weight loss journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...b-journey.html

Last edited by hazelgreen; 01-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: clarify
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the info hazelgreen.

I'll see about picking some up next time I shop. Sleep IS a wonderful thing. I miss it! LOL
Old 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I will have to check and make sure the melatonin doesn't interfere with all my other medications.

Do you take it just before bed, an hour before bedtime, or is there a guideline for it? I have to get up at 4:30 am every weekday (hubby and I have a 150 mile round-trip commute) so would need to take it early enough that it didn't affect me the next morning.

I also think the lack of sleep affects my glucose #'s. One night I actually slept 6 hrs (only getting up once to run to the restroom) and my # was awesome the next morning. But nights where I lay awake and toss and turn the #'s the next morning are usually higher.

I take it just before getting into bed, read for a short while, and usually fall asleep withing 30 minutes. Before I discovered Melatonin, I would read for HOURS before I'd be able to go to sleep.

I have absolutely no grogginess the next morning. As a matter of fact, I wake up very much alert and invigorated.

But, as hazelgreen suggested, check with your doctor to be sure it doesn't interfer with your other medications.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 21/2010
Sometimes I find that if my carbs are too low, I cannot sleep well. So when I up my carbs a bit for a few days, that seems to help me sleep. You may want to experiment with your carb levels a bit to see if that helps out any.
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi Ria,

Welcome to the forum!

I was obese as a child, a baby actually. I have diabetes on both side of my family, the obese side and the slim side has it too.

I was told I was borderline for a while, finally forced (yelled at) onto medications in 2005, so I finally took action then. I didn't need medications anymore with something like a 30 pound weight loss.

I am currently reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (this has been recommended many, many times on the forum). Although I have no signs of diabetes now on blood tests, I want to educate myself. And I am worried about what might happen as I get older. My mother was not even obese when she got it in her late 60s at 140 pounds! My grandmother on my father's side went blind in her 70s, even after losing 50 pounds to a near-normal weight somewhere in her late 60s. I don't believe in low-glycemic. The glycemic load is still there - insulin will still be released, just more slowly.

I do not eat sugar or any type of grain. I don't eat starchy vegetables. No legumes. I am moving away from most condiments. I do not use vegetable oils. I only dream about being dairy-free! Maybe someday--I only use low-carb dairy anyway. Ugh, weight loss is so slow still. I tend to maintain unless I am REALLY working at it. Being on this board has helped me quite a bit!

RE: walking - it is easier once you get insulin under control. I thought walking was easier at 285, then 265 was a dream, and 235 - wow. The 220s? I can't believe how much easier it is. I always say I feel like a different person with 25-30 pound changes.

RE: sleeping - if I haven't gotten enough, yep, I start eating. I've knocked myself out with Benedryl on occasion when I can't stop eating due to exhaustion.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 01-30-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I picked up some Melatonin, trying it out tonight. Hope all goes well.

I guess I gained back almost 2 lbs I had lost. That's gonna happen frequently on the roller-coaster to a slimmer me I'm sure. Not gonna let it discourage me!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

WTG Ria, don't let those 2 lb fluctuations bother you. Happens to me all the time. I think we all ride that rollercoaster.

Good luck with the melatonin, let us know how it goes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

"Ria"
I thought I would give a little update on my progress.

When I weighed myself this morning, the scale said 251.0. Now, I know it's not a LOT of weight gone, but I'm pretty happy with it. I'm at least going in the right direction (down, not up!).

In January, my A1C when I was in the hospital was 8.5. In March it was 6.2. And when I had my blood drawn on July 1st, it was reading at 5.8. I'm happy with that, too! My primary doc is really happy, my endocrinologist is pleased.

I'm just wanting to keep going with the weight loss.

And hope and pray there is something that happens to make my stupid migraines go away.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Congrats on your loss and your better health! 32lbs is awesome and since your docs are happy with your results you should be very happy with your success. KUTGW!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Frankie!

My husband actually noticed yesterday, too. I mean he's been noticing, but yesterday he realized the #'s (I write them down at home too). All in all, I'm happy with them.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Miss Gigl
Stats: 312/262/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 15, 2002
Ria, that's fantastic on your A1C!!! My story is pretty similar, I developed Type 2 when I was pregnant with my second daughter and after I gave birth my A1C was up to 6.8. My doctor gave me one chance to bring my A1C down with a low carb diet or he was going to put me on drugs. 3 months later I was down almost 40 pounds and my A1C was back to 5.6. This way of eating can definitely reverse Type 2 through stable blood sugars and weight loss.

I can have bouts of insomnia too and what helps me is supplementing magnesium an hour or so before I go to bed. It's good for my blood pressure too.

Round 2:Had a couple of babies and now since 4/9/2011...312/262/180 - 50 pounds lost!

...FLYING ABOVE THE FOOD...
Miss Gigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Just another quick update.
My latest A1C was 5.5, which I am thrilled with. When I weighed in this morning, the scale showed 232.8. From my starting weight, that's just over 50 lbs since January. I'm really happy with that.

Thanks for all of the support you have all given over the last (almost) year. It's nice to have the support!