Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
I want it to be Friday, too, Teresa. This week is *dragging* already.

Aija - way to go on the running! I'm impressed! I love running.

Jen - I'm going to second Teresa's questions and add a few of my own. How important is it to get below 200? Could you be okay if you stayed where you are forever? What is success to you right now -getting below 200 or being consistent with your food? What if the choice weren't between losing weight or not but between gaining weight or not? How do you feel about the idea of getting off the scale for a month or even two weeks?

I'm not trying to say anything with the questions other than to get your mind going in different directions to see if it triggers anything that resonates with you that might give you a clue about what's going on for you.

Teresa - I got into a *teeny* bit of sugar yesterday too. Some chocolates we have at home. It was pure frustration and discouragement, not real temptation, those chocolates have been there for a while, not calling my name. I've promised myself to not look back, not try to "make up" for yesterday by eating less today, but just to get right back on it today.

As a matter of fact, you know what I really think I need? A treat! I'm just one of those people that find that treat foods (sweet foods, usually) really make me feel good. I need to start saving calories, maybe up to 200 a day, for legal treats like a OMM or something like that. I think part of my problem is that I've been in deprivation mode while on this DH diet.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

You know what else I think triggered me a bit yesterday? Worry about my knee. It's been doing really well lately, but Sunday it felt ever so slightly swollen and the tiniest bit achey. And yesterday, a little bit still. I think I'm subconsciously worried that it's not recovering well.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I started off my day with some much needed cleaning.....not done yet.....never will be. I just did Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile walk. I think maybe later I will hit the treadmill for awhile. I have to stick with this exercise, I am starting Zumba on Monday, my sister is already going with some of the girls she works with ( I don't want to embarrass myself ). It is on Mon, Thurs, Fri. It starts at 8am, the same time my mom goes for water aerobics....so I can hitch a ride a couple days a week with her. I might check out some of the other classes they offer also.

DH turns 35 on Thursday & we are having a date night on Saturday. The kids will both be gone overnight. I NEED to get some water weight off by then so I can feel better about myself. I feel my best doing LC I need to remember that

Vee~ I hope your knee starts feeling better and doesn't give you anymore problems

Teresa~ Keep sending that weather this way....it's supposed to be in the 50's Thurs/Fri. Maybe I can get a motorcycle ride on Friday when DH is off work??? I'm sure it would still be a pretty chilly ride!

Aija~ I did the c25k program....I need to start over again Keep up the good work
Old 02-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aijarama View Post
Jen - you better get in gear! Bunless burgers or chicken salads at those tricky restaurants girlie! that's me kicking your rear (with )
Thanks Aija!!! I need all the rear kicking I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Jen---so, I may have asked you this before, but do you have any apprehensions about getting below 200? I see a lot of people that get 'stuck' right in that range and always wonder if maybe it isn't a mental/emotional thing? Like not necessarily a conscious thing maybe.....not sure. I think a lot of people define being below that number, if they haven't been in a long time (not sure if you have been or not), as a huge deal---so maybe that adds pressure? If that might be the case at all...maybe getting rid of the scale for a month would help? Don't shoot me---just a thought!
Actually you had not asked me that before, but now that you mention it. It is quite possible that, that is what is going on. I think I want it so bad that it kind of scares me. Ok this is going to be hard to do but DH will help me. I am going to put the scales up and not weigh for at least a week. Hey thats a start. I am going to try to focus on how I feel instead of stressing about everything. And it has been a very long time since I was below 200. The last time I tried Atkins I did the same thing, got stuck around 210 and couldn't go anywhere, so maybe just maybe it is psychological. Darned mind. does crazy things.

I did make myself do some exercising last night. Rode the bike for 25 mins and did some upper body stuff. The knee is killing me and I have to take pain meds but I did it.

239/195.2/145
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aijarama
Stats: 280/245/175
WOE: Paleo/LC
Start Date: 11/06 @280, 5/10 @242 8/14 @ 245
Teresa - funny story about the BB brownies - my roommate is having relationship troubles and she's depressed, so she's kinda set up shop in the kitchen, laptop, dog and all. The sink was full of dishes when I got home from bootcamp, and the stovetop had like 3 cooked dishes on it (in all the pans I would have needed) I definitely looked around, refilled my water bottle, and went back to my room Laziness will make me skinny, haha! Maybe I'll try later this week.

I do have a 5K at the end of April...once I get over the fear of running outside, I'll be A buddy of mine who is losing tons on WW is running too, so maybe we can have some friendly competition!

Jen - those are good things! I think I had the same issue over these last few months, hovering between 210 and 205. As tempted as I am to go back to good old fashioned Atkins, I can't handle the blowout that happens when you go off track. I've come to accept that my losses may be a bit slower, but I'm trying to really ramp up the exercise to compensate. Have you ever considered doing things that don't involve your knees? Like one of those Sit and be Fit DVDs? Idk how much you can burn, but it might be something to do when the pain is too much - hth!

Val - hope your knee's okay too! I think a treat might be a good idea. Sometimes I find myself eating them "just because I can/have cals left/worked out today" and not because I'm hungry, but that's not the point of a treat anyway, is it?

Dinner at my parents' house for my dad's birthday...let's HOPE my mom doesn't make an awesome dessert; I don't need the mental anguish

Mini Goals:
239 by 9/1/14
219 by 11/1/14
199 by 1/1/15 (a girl can dream )
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Jen - those are good things! I think I had the same issue over these last few months, hovering between 210 and 205. As tempted as I am to go back to good old fashioned Atkins, I can't handle the blowout that happens when you go off track. I've come to accept that my losses may be a bit slower, but I'm trying to really ramp up the exercise to compensate. Have you ever considered doing things that don't involve your knees? Like one of those Sit and be Fit DVDs? Idk how much you can burn, but it might be something to do when the pain is too much - hth!
What exactly is the sit and fit DVD?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Sit and Be Fit started out as a show on PBS; it was aimed toward senior citizens but once they saw how effective it was, they branched out and now there are a ton of different DVDs/tapes for different physical/medical limitations... SIT AND BE FIT | Senior Fitness | Senior Exercise Television Program - they won a ton of awards for their shows!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Aija.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Anytime Jen! Probably easy peasy for you since you're pretty active but maybe there's some good stuff you can find in there! Even on my off days I try to finagle a little activity like dancing while I put away my laundry so I don't feel too bad...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Anytime Jen! Probably easy peasy for you since you're pretty active but maybe there's some good stuff you can find in there! Even on my off days I try to finagle a little activity like dancing while I put away my laundry so I don't feel too bad...
This knee stuff is really hard to deal with. I am used to climbing the mountains and playing with DGbabies, and they play rough. that is gets better soon.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning all. Well today is my first day without scales. UGH!! No DT's yet

Actually I feel pretty good about it today. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Linda - get well soon! Thanks for the running support - I'm pretty amazed myself that I could run for a ful 30 minutes. I think the bootcamp secretly upped my endurance, and the cardio on the side is really helping. I do still want to be careful and not overdo the jogging - my trainer doesn't believe in pounding the knees/legs for long periods of time. So I want to do two days of long distance (for me, anyway) paced running, and maybe the other day will be interval sprints or something else cardio.

Stay strong Jen!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DENMW
Stats: 243/155/139 5'4", Age 62
WOE: Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gynx8467 View Post
Morning all. Well today is my first day without scales. UGH!! No DT's yet

Actually I feel pretty good about it today. We'll see how it goes.
Jenn, I'm a scale addict too. I ask Roger to hide the scale but then I go find it. He doesn't hide things well.

Quote:
Linda - get well soon! Thanks for the running support - I'm pretty amazed myself that I could run for a ful 30 minutes. I think the bootcamp secretly upped my endurance, and the cardio on the side is really helping. I do still want to be careful and not overdo the jogging - my trainer doesn't believe in pounding the knees/legs for long periods of time. So I want to do two days of long distance (for me, anyway) paced running, and maybe the other day will be interval sprints or something else cardio.

Stay strong Jen!
Thanks Aja. I must be feeling better as this is my 3rd post here today.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENMW View Post
Jenn, I'm a scale addict too. I ask Roger to hide the scale but then I go find it. He doesn't hide things well.
Oh Sam hides things too well. Heck he probably won't even remember where he hid them when I want them back.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #435
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Afternoon and Happy Hump Day.

Aija---wow, so just about 2 months until your first 5K---how exciting!! I'm not a runner at all, but I actually find running outside much easier. For whatever reason the treadmill just feels unnatural to me so I always struggle with my stride when I try to run on them. I suppose it's just whatever you are used to. I wish that 'lazy equaled skinny' for me, unfortunately when I get lazy with food prep the exact opposite happens. :blush: So how did the birthday dinner with the parents go?

Val--personally, I need treats everyday to keep me going! :blush: I hope your knee is OK. When do you see the Dr about it again? Just don't push it!!

Oh, and good questions by the way! I find myself asking myself some of the same ones frequently...

Kathy---so is the house clean yet? Yeah, that is definitely a never ending task, one I often give up on. And for the most part, it's just me I have to pick up after. Although my little furry hellions have been making their own messes lately! Zumba sounds fun, you'll have to tell me all about it.

Jen---so you got rid of the scale for a week good for you!! I totally agree our crazy little brains can cause all kinds of problems. Sometimes we just have to figure out how to shut those little voices out.....but man, that's hard! I'm glad you aren't having DT's!

Linda---glad you are feeling better! Good for you for deciding to stay with GS for today. I have no idea if that is the right plan for you or not, however I know when I decide to change something with my eating without really giving it some serious thought, it's usually a bad idea! :blush: I'm sure if you do some honest thinking/soul searching, you'll find the right answer. And hey, who says you have to do GS the GS way? Maybe there is a happy medium that can be found by figuring out what parts work for you and what parts don't, then put together a Linda plan that will work for life....?

Yesterday eating was good---way too much but no sugar and I stayed full (probably too much so) all day so there really wasn't any 'room' for me to even think about all the sweets still hanging around. Even though I gained more weight yesterday than I did from the initial sugar fest, in the long run I am learning that this---rather than restriction---works much better for me. Today I have absolutely no desire to eat crap or to overeat and I feel great--like the amino affect has already kicked back in. It's amazing that it has taken me this long to learn this. I usually 'panic' after eating crap or overeating and think I need to restrict in some way, which leads to a few days of being off course or a few weeks or more of back and forth. I guess I can't say how tomorrow will go, but right now I feel good. We never stop learning about ourselves and these darn bodies (and minds), do we?

OK, crazy day again at work. Would like to say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...but I can't yet.....but I know it's there---somewhere!!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Teresa -
Well, the birthday dinner was oh-kay - there were a lot of yummy things, but I was careful to keep the portions small. I did have a small piece of ice cream cake and one Fererro Rocher haha - I tried to enter it into Lose It, I'm sure it wasn't the most accurate but according to my eyeballing I wasn't too bad for the day, still just within calorie range esp because of that morning run! I'm not trying to be super strict with the Lose It, cause I'm not too crazy over the "calories out, calories in" approach to weight loss, but it's a really good way for me to just keep an eye on the eating.

I'm with ya on the work thing! My bf just started a new job and I'm trying to ignore the pangs of jealousy I feel because he was given a decent welcome and I still feel like I crashed the party here, 3 months later But as my late great Nana used to say all the time, "Just do the best you can." That's all I can do!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Teresa, you are so right. We never stop learning. Good job on not restricting after overeating. That has never worked for me either. It just sets me up for a binge.

Aja, OMG how could you eat one small piece of cake? That's where I hope to get to one day. Good job
Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #438
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I haven't been posting because I got way off track again and successfully regained the weight I lost. I am now trying the hcg drops. I did two days of high fat and am now on day one of Phase II which is the low calorie "diet" plus the drops. Am doing this for 21 days. Will let you know how it goes. I didn't weigh myself except over the wknd at fiance's place and I was 192 there. I can tell if I am losing by how I feel and how the clothes fit.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #439
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I haven't been posting because I got way off track again and successfully regained the weight I lost. I am now trying the hcg drops. I did two days of high fat and am now on day one of Phase II which is the low calorie "diet" plus the drops. Am doing this for 21 days. Will let you know how it goes. I didn't weigh myself except over the wknd at fiance's place and I was 192 there. I can tell if I am losing by how I feel and how the clothes fit.
Good luck Vicki!

Good morning all. Had a really bed day yesterday. I was not at work and cleaned house and ate and ate and ate. Ugh don't know what happened. Crazy. Back at work today. Hopefully a better day today. Have a good one all.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh yeah almost forgot, day 2 without scales. I can almost feel the DT's coming on. DH really hid those darned things good. Can't find them anywhere. Ok I can do this.

Knee is still killing me. I iced it 3 times yesterday, that seems to help for a short time. I think I am going to ask him to inject it today. I really was hoping not to do that but it just isn't getting better. Hope the steroids don't affect me in eating.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
Vicki, you can do this!! I've watched you do it before. I have faith in you. Today's your day girl. Forget the past and forge ahead.

Quote:
Good luck Vicki!

Good morning all. Had a really bed day yesterday. I was not at work and cleaned house and ate and ate and ate. Ugh don't know what happened. Crazy. Back at work today. Hopefully a better day today. Have a good one all.
No HOPING for better day. JUST DO IT, I mean please just do it

Quote:
Oh yeah almost forgot, day 2 without scales. I can almost feel the DT's coming on. DH really hid those darned things good. Can't find them anywhere. Ok I can do this.

Knee is still killing me. I iced it 3 times yesterday, that seems to help for a short time. I think I am going to ask him to inject it today. I really was hoping not to do that but it just isn't getting better. Hope the steroids don't affect me in eating.
Do you need me to come there and help you find that scale? Sorry your knee is hurting. I can sympathize with you as I've had arthroscopic knee surgery about 12 years ago and I know that knee pain all too well.

Woke up feeling a little worse today but took mydaytime cold medicine and now feel a little better. I am still having a problem eating. The thought of food makes me queezy but I am eating what I commit to my sponsor and my sponsor did not put me back to day one the other day when I couldn't eat dinner. She said I did the best I could. I am so very grateful to even be willing to stay on plan right now. My MO in the past would be to use food to try to make me feel better and that usually would include ALL bad things starting with ice cream. I know this sounds weird and DON"T HIT ME but ice cream doesn't even appeal to me right now. All I can say is THANK YOU GOD.

Later guys. Off to Cafe World to serve my food.
Lost 100 pounds, my story
Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #442
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

It's Thursday (which I love ) and it's supposed to be 70 degrees here today!! However it's gonna snow on Sunday .....but I'm not going to think about that now.

Linda---sorry you haven't kicked this bug yet, but yay on not even wanting ice cream! Sugar just feeds those germs/bugs and keeps them alive so keep it far, far away!!

And yep, thinking I still won't have this body/mind thing figured out on my dying day! Funny thing is--intellectually I figured out the whole restriction thing a long time ago--and therefore have never done all the different kinds of fasts I see people doing all the time on this board. But for whatever reason I didn't think or want to believe that just cutting back a little would be a problem---thought it was a good solution---but now I think I'm truly seeing that for me I almost need to go the opposite direction after a pig out or carb fest and then let things balance out. Now I just have to remember that because my first thought is always to cut back a bit. Of course the ultimate goal is just to eat in a balanced way every day.....but I'm definitely not there yet.

Vicki---I hope the hcg works for you! I want daily reports please! I've been studying this thing for a few years now and although I'm to the point that I'm pretty sure it's not the right thing for me---I do believe it works well for some and I'm still fascinated by the whole thing and love to hear about it! And don't feel you need to stay away when you are off track---that's when we usually need to be here to most. Hopefully you're getting this beautiful weather today too and can get out and enjoy some of it!

Jen---sorry the knee is still hurting you. I think people say that it's hard to lose while on steroids, but I doubt it's impossible. And it will just be one shot so hopefully if it gives you the 'hungries' it will only be for a short time. Just arm yourself with lots of high fat low carb goodies so you are prepared!

Liz....Val....Kathy---um, where did you ladies go?

I have not gone to the gym at all this week! :blush: Tonight I'm going home and going for a walk but maybe tomorrow I will make myself go to the gym.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #443
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm back already! Just had to share this, saw it on the lid of someones Snapple bottle of all places. It said that strawberries are not really berries....but bananas are. ??? Seriously?? Now I'm going to have to do a little research on that over lunch!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #444
Big Yapper!!!!

omg, I'm already back again! Meeting cancelled. So here is what I found:

Scientifically, no a strawberry is not a berry. A berry is classified as a fruit that is entirely produced from one ovary of the plant. However, the flesh of a strawberry is partially created by the tissue adjacent to the ovaries thus meaning it is a false or accessory fruit and not a berry.

AND

Yes, the banana fruit is a berry. Berries are identified as being many seeded with a fleshy inner layer. So, technically a banana is a berry. And, believe it or not, bananas don't grow on trees! Originally from Asia, the "banana tree" is really not a tree in the true sense. In fact, banana plants have no wood fiber. The banana plant is the world's largest herb and a member of the lily family.

Source for both, WikiAnswers.

So there is my useless, but interesting, trivia of the day.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Liz....Val....Kathy---um, where did you ladies go?
Teresa - you know me well enough to know that when I disappear, it's usually because I'm not doing well with my food! And yes, that's why I haven't posted for a day or two!

I was okay Tuesday, climbed right back on my diet after having a small bit of sugar Monday night. I was on my DH diet, fine, no problems, until bedtime. I have acid reflux that I take Nexium for and usually it's fine, no problems, but once in a while it flares up and I get really bad bile in my throat at night when I lie down. Tuesday was the night from hell. I was eating antacids all night and still couldn't fall asleep without being woken up with choking. I finally fell asleep around 4am and got 4 hours of sleep.

No sleep, coming off sugar & being frustrated by the scale not moving are all the factors I need to create a monsterously bad with food. It wasn't 10am before I started taking cookies from the office pantry. It was a bad, bad, bad day.

I won't bore you all with my thought processes and self-talk to get myself back on track, but I am okay so far today. I'm determined not to ruin all the hard work I have put in so far on letting the bad eating continue. I'm also aware that I have to be easier on myself. The extreme deprivation of a 1200 calorie a day diet just does not work for me. Never has, never will. I always break.

So I'm not going to count calories, I'm just going to eat as if I'm on the diet, but not forcing myself to go hungry. If I'm hungry, I'll make a snack of lean protein and vegetables. DH is still doing his diet, and I want to diet with him for support so I'm not telling him about my indiscretions yesterday, but other than not eating stuff in front of him that he can't have or eating too much, there's no need for me to be quite as strict as I was doing. That was for my benefit, not his.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Jen---sorry the knee is still hurting you. I think people say that it's hard to lose while on steroids, but I doubt it's impossible. And it will just be one shot so hopefully if it gives you the 'hungries' it will only be for a short time. Just arm yourself with lots of high fat low carb goodies so you are prepared!
Thanks Teresa. I decided not to have the injection yet. He gave me another prescription for a different anti-inflammatory. That has to work.

Quote:
omg, I'm already back again! Meeting cancelled. So here is what I found:

Scientifically, no a strawberry is not a berry. A berry is classified as a fruit that is entirely produced from one ovary of the plant. However, the flesh of a strawberry is partially created by the tissue adjacent to the ovaries thus meaning it is a false or accessory fruit and not a berry.

AND

Yes, the banana fruit is a berry. Berries are identified as being many seeded with a fleshy inner layer. So, technically a banana is a berry. And, believe it or not, bananas don't grow on trees! Originally from Asia, the "banana tree" is really not a tree in the true sense. In fact, banana plants have no wood fiber. The banana plant is the world's largest herb and a member of the lily family.

Source for both, WikiAnswers.

So there is my useless, but interesting, trivia of the day.
WOW!!! that is really interesting. I thought I did good when I found out that peanuts aren't really nuts. They are Legumes. HUH!!! Does that mean I can have strawberries.

Oh yeah Teresa I forgot to tell you I made that honey mustard dressing with apple cider vinegar and splenda. YUM YUM!!! I love it. Never thought of using apple cider vinegar. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Teresa, thanks for the berry trivia, interesting.

Vee, sorry you had a bad time with the food. Again, deprivation never works. Just jump back on the wagon with the rest of us.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #448
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody

My internet finally returned!
I need to do some work stuff to help DH. I'll try to make it back later to post. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
Hey everyone

I have been a good girl. Too much cheese today but LC otherwise. Today was DH birthday & I baked cupcakes last night to send to work with him. He took tomorrow off so he would have a 3 day weekend. We are going out to lunch tomorrow at a place we have never been to, it is a soup,salad, sandwich place that is kinda cool looking. Then we are having a childless Saturday & going on a date

My goal is to stick to LC through out the weekend and concentrate on portion sizes more starting Monday. I think I will feel better just being LC!

Liz~ Glad you got your internet back!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all. Still feeling sick. Staying on plan with my food though.

Kathy, have fun on you date. Sounds great!

Have a good day everyone.
Closed Thread