Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
I was supposed to get my knee scoped in December. It was at the 2nd set of xrays pre-op at the hospital that the surgeon decided that the damage was more osteoarthritis than torn meniscus (though there is some of that) and he said in my case, scoping might just hasten the decline of the knee more than it would help in the long run.

Knees are so tricky, aren't they? I hope you doctor has some non-surgical answers for you, Jen!

I'm feeling good this morning. Day 1 of my "Diet with DH" is done! Calories were low, protein high, and I didn't feel too hungry. I did feel a little lightheaded in the shower this morning, so I made sure to have a protein smoothie for breakfast. Often I skip breakfast, but not if I'm feeling lightheaded.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #362
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Good afternoon!

Jen---ouch! I'm sorry about your leg. Hopefully it ends up you have just overdone it and need to take it easy for awhile.

Vicky---I just realized you said you had WLS. Was your weight higher than your stats at that time? Just being nosy. I sometimes wish I had done the lap band. I don't think that WLS of any kind is the 'golden ticket' but I sure could use all the tools I can get!

Val and Linda---I can't imagine wearing short sleeves again, ever. Haven't worn them since I was a kid. :blush: Maybe I'll get lucky but so far everything they have done with me has had to be very extensive and I suspect this will be too and there will be scars and of course lots of imperfections. But like I said, just to be able to wear a fitted shirt or the ones that have been so popular the last few years where the sleeves are gauzy/see-through, that would be a dream.

Val---yeah, I can hide the underarm skin in a bra....but I don't want to. I only wear a B cup, and the choices in that cup size where you actually have a wide enough band are limited and granny like. I just want to wear a normal bra....maybe even a sexy one --for once in my life!

Liz---I spoke with our peeps in San Antonio yesterday and they did get ice last Friday but yesterday it was upper 70's and sunny! I should find out the beginning of next week if I'm going...I really hope so but we'll see.

I wanted to make your pumpkin muffins today and then realized I'm out of quinoa flour and I'm too lazy to grind any up. Got a call this morning from the place where I ordered the barley and other flours as they had a question about my address and my box is being shipped out today so I'll just have to wait. Right now I am making a....hmmm, not sure what to call it but I'm using up the last of my barley on it. I cut up steak, added lots of bell peppers of all colors, green beans, veggie stock, lots of spices and barley. Kind of a stew I guess although there won't be much if any liquid by the time it's done cooking down. Hopefully it will be good. It smells great.

I'm not working with a trainer, but one of the trainers put the plan together for me. Exactly what I feared would happen did---I couldn't remember what half of the exercises were. The plan is written out but it might as well be in another language cause I didn't have a clue what most of it was. All the trainers were busy so I just went through both days of exercises and picked out all the things I could remember how to do and then added a couple of things of my own! I worked up a sweat and my legs felt like jello afterwards so hopefully I did OK! I brought the plan home with me so I can look up all the different exercises and figure out what they are and how to do them! :blush: I guess I better do that next so I'm ready to get a proper work out tomorrow.

I did end up taking the day off. Would like to say it's been productive, but not really. Had the cable people here first thing this morning---decided to get rid of the dish and the dsl and go with cable. It was pretty much an all morning event and 5 minutes after they left the cable on the TV in the living room went out. The computer is fine, the cable on my other TV fine---so no clue what happened. Called and spent about 40 minutes on the phone with the company who tried to troubleshoot but couldn't figure it out. They are supposed to be sending someone back here but that was about 4-5 hours ago and so far haven't heard anything from them. I'm guessing I'll be their last stop of the night which means I won't be able to go anywhere and get errands done. But I have got a little cleaning done and some other odds and ends so I guess that's OK. I also managed to slice my thumb open on a serated knife doing the dishes....I knew that doing dishes was dangerous!

So Liz, or anyone who understands computers.... Everytime I turn on the computer I have to re-download Adobe in order to get on FB. I'm guessing I have some kind of setting that is messed up or something, but I can't figure it out. Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #363
Big Yapper!!!!

Val---I just finally got to the part in the Mood Cure where she talks a little about when to get off the aminos. Basically, like you said, when you start having the symptoms that brought you to the aminos in the first place. She also talks about headaches and nausea. So did you end up quitting all or some of them? Since my sleep has gone back down hill (except for the days I ate sugar---of course then I sleep like a baby ) so this weekend I'm going to start tapering off the l-tryp and if that goes well then the gaba. Not sure which one is actually doing what for me so I'm just taking my best guess and will see how it goes. I have been cutting back on the DLPH as I just didn't really think it was doing anything for me---and so far no difference taking it 1x per day instead of 3x. I would take them all forever if it meant continuing to feel great---except that the timing involved in taking them 7x a day is a little more than I want to deal with!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Teresa, my highest wt before WLS was 364. I had stomach stapling in 97' after pregnancy in 99' and regain of wt up to 280's I had a revision to RNY in 02' Got down to 184 and stayed there for maybe a year or so but started going up to my current stats on the side.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Teresa, thanks for that info on the aminos. I haven't started having the symptoms back, but I do get the nausea and I've been having headaches lately. I went off the aminos for a while (while I was eating sugar last week), but then restarted. I did notice the low grade nausea again today though, so maybe I'll lay off them again and pay better attention this time as to whether I'm okay without them or not.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

I've taken my supplements this morning, no aminos. We'll see if the headache/nausea comes back today.

Day 2 of what I'm affectionately calling my "DH Diet" has gone well, on target. 2 down, 24 to go!

You know what I need to do? I need to plan a reward for myself if I stick this out. I've never been able to stick it out before with him, I always cave and either get into sugar or go back to maintenance. I'll have to think about this, but I am reward-motivated. If I thought I was getting something good for myself at the end, it might pull me through the times when I want to say "awfukit".
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #367
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Being off yesterday I thought today was Monday--what a nice surprise to realize it's Weds!! However I have 7.5 hours of meetings to sit through today ....I guess I will be good and ready to work out tonight after sitting on my bum for so long!

Vicki--OK, that makes much more sense. Wow, you have lost a lot and been through some ups and downs. I don't wish that on anyone but it always makes me feel better hearing that I'm not the only one that bounces around.

Val--yeah, I always get off schedule with the aminos when I eat crap. That's why I figured I would stick with the regime through this week and get back to feeling great, then start tapering. OK--kind of off the subject but I was thinking this morning about how sugar doesn't taste as great since taking the aminos...or at least it starts tasting gross sooner. Yet---I still do it. So I think they need to invent a pill that would make you deathly ill, projectile vomit or whatever if you ate sugar while taking it. There is one like that for alcohol....why not for sugar?!

So shortly after I posted last night the internet went out....and the cable people never called or came by. Talk about annoying. They are coming on Saturday to do the phone so I will just have to wait until then as my week is packed and I don't have time to sit around home waiting for them. The internet did come back up but was slow....I think there is a bad connection. Perhaps I am supposed to get the message that I need to spend less time on the Net! :blush:

Jen---make sure to stop in and tell us what is going on with your leg!

Have a good one ladies!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, and one last thing. So yesterday I really wasn't sore at all so I figured that I must have not got a very good work out after all. Then this morning I woke up my inner thighs are SORE!! If anyone wants a good inner thigh work out--I have one for ya!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gynx8467
Stats: 239.4/195.2/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Restart June 2010
Hey all. Crazy day today. Had the MRI this morning but don't know anything yet. should know soon. I didn't sleep last night due to the pain. It was the worst that I have ever had. Hopefully things will get better.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

We are a quiet bunch these days, aren't we?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: healthylowcarbin
WOE: lower carb/whole foods
Hey everybody

I went to whole foods store today and had fun cruising the veggies. I finally got a fennel to try! I think I'll make a salad with sliced fennel, avocado, romaine and a few pcs. of grapefruit with a citrus drsg.
Does anyone eat fennel? If so, how do you like it? I've read that it makes an excellent side with fish. Also that it is good roasted.

I'm really enjoying the matchstick cut radishes I got for $1 per 8oz bag. I've seen them at 2 grocery stores lately. I find that they don't have a radishy flavor but they do have a nice crunch and are cute. They actually look like matchsticks.

I've also been really enjoying the low carb/low calorie chocolate omm made with oat fiber (posted by ouizoid). It is really BIG and chocolately and only 65 calories!
I think these are very very filling and definitely a good cure for chocolate cravings.

Last edited by healthylowcarbin; 02-09-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw Paul McKenna on Dr. Oz yesterday. He does hypnosis for weight loss, smoking cessation, sleep problems etc...

He said something that really stuck with me........to paraphrase...obsessive dieters/overweight people are almost constantly thinking about food EXCEPT when they are actually eating. Then they shovel it down like in a race and are often multitasking (watching tv, computer etc).

He recommended really savoring your food and making sure to actually chew it 20 times per bite. and even sometimes put down the shovel in between bites I'm so so guilty of gulping down my food like someone is gonna take it away I made an effort today to put down the fork and chew at least 20 times per bite. I need to work on this. Also no eating while standing up or eating directly from the fridge (I'm starting to suspect that these calories still count)
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

JEN... sorry to hear you're having that much pain. Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way for relief & healing.

VALERIE...congrats on the 2lbs! You're off to a great start!
Did you think of a reward to help with motivation?

TERESA...that cable/computer issue sucks! I hope you get it resolved soon.
Quote:
So Liz, or anyone who understands computers.... Everytime I turn on the computer I have to re-download Adobe in order to get on FB. I'm guessing I have some kind of setting that is messed up or something, but I can't figure it out. Any thoughts?
sounds suspicious. A job for crush guy to investigate
Is it giving you a link to click to download adobe? Or are you going to the actual adobe site?

Your barley stew sounds delish! I found organic barley flakes at whole foods for $1.29 per lb. I also got barley and oat flours for 24oz for $2.99. Is that a lot higher than what you got online?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthylowcarbin View Post
TERESA...that cable/computer issue sucks! I hope you get it resolved soon.
sounds suspicious. A job for crush guy to investigate
Oh, great idea!

Liz, I haven't figured out a reward. I'm still thinking about it. But it should be a good reward because this will be tough sticking out this low-calorie diet for almost 4 weeks.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paul McKenna had a show on several years ago about mindful eating. I can't remember what it was called though. You put the fork down, counted bites, did tapping etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning checking in. Hope everyone has a great day. Knee still hurting didn't sleep much. It woke me about 3am really aching. UGH!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

Val----I must have been posting when you were yesterday--missed out on your 2 lb drop--congrats! So have you thought about cycling in a maintenance day or two during the week? Might keep the body guessing and keep you from getting in a slump....and it fits with your maintenance plan of up days, down days. Just a thought.

Liz---I have never bought fennel before. Keep thinking about it but then not sure what to do with it. In Vegas I had a really great potato/fennel/bacon soup. I'll have to look for the radish sticks, haven't noticed them at the store, however I don't like radish really unless it's cooked. But if it's milder tasting I might have to give it a go. I haven't seen the chocolate OMM. At 65 cals I can pretty much gaurantee it wouldn't fill me up :blush:--but maybe with a lot of pb on top.....

I also saw the shows that Vicki mentioned of Paul McKenna's. I think it was on Lifetime or something like that a couple of years ago. Interesting. The tapping thing did nothing for me---except maybe create some bruises! I totally agree with the slowing down to eat. I find that when I'm not particularly hungry---as with the aminos---I do that naturally and really enjoy food. When I'm restricting, especially not eating enough fat and starches, I tend to wolf things down and then I'm ready for the next meal! :blush:

On the Adobe thing, I have to go to the site and download it each time. It is really annoying! There must be something that is clearing it off each time I shut down---but I don't know what or why.

The barley stew concoction I made was excellent! Next time I will add a little garlic and it will be perfect.

I think the prices you got are probably the same or maybe even better than what I got on-line, plus you didn't have to pay shipping. I get oat flour here pretty cheap, although I think I pay 2-3 bucks for a lb....not sure. But I can't find the barley flour or flakes so I will have to rely on on-line for now. Maybe we'll get a WF one day.

OK---started this over an hour ago and the day has gotten crazy already. Must go and try to get some work done.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #378
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning Jen! How soon will you get the MRI results?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa123 View Post
Morning Jen! How soon will you get the MRI results?
Oh sorry got them yesterday afternoon. They showed swelling and arthritis but nothing else. I am going to ask the doc to give me a prescription for an anti-inflamatory. I did ride the bike slowly this morning and it felt good while I was doing it. But man hurt afterward.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning everyone

It snowed here again

JEN...that's great news on the MRI! I'm glad that it wasn't an acute injury that would require surgery. Do you have arthritis anywhere else?
Hope you're feeling better

TERESA...the radish sticks are, imo, very very mild and tasteless. They are great raw for the crunch but I'm thinking they would also make very good hashbrowns with a bit of onion and bacon. The best thing about them is that there is NO prep work. Already cut into cute little sticks.

I really liked the fennel. I ate it raw in a salad. It has a lovely crunch and a fresh, bright mild licorice taste. I made a salad with baby greens, a few pcs. of sliced strawberries, walnuts, goat cheese and an almond oil balsamic drsg
That soup you mentioned with fennel sounds really tasty. I'm sure something could be subbed for potatoes.
I'll definitely try the fennel cooked. Maybe roasted with a bit of evoo
I think this veggie is a keeper for me as long as the price is reasonable.

Quote:
I also saw the shows that Vicki mentioned of Paul McKenna's. I think it was on Lifetime or something like that a couple of years ago. Interesting. The tapping thing did nothing for me---except maybe create some bruises! I totally agree with the slowing down to eat. I find that when I'm not particularly hungry---as with the aminos---I do that naturally and really enjoy food. When I'm restricting, especially not eating enough fat and starches, I tend to wolf things down and then I'm ready for the next meal!
on tapping and bruises. Interesting point that the aminos help you with slowing down & restriction makes you hungry like a wolf. I definitely think hunger plays a part in quick eating but, for me, it is also a bad habit DH is the same way because he gets so little time to eat at work (he may go over 12 hours without eating) and then comes home starving.

VICKI...how's the eating plan going? Are you still doing detox?
Quote:
Paul McKenna had a show on several years ago about mindful eating. I can't remember what it was called though. You put the fork down, counted bites, did tapping etc
I think I actually saw that:blush: but forgot. I read/watch so many weight loss gurus and I still have that nasty nurseheimers

VAL...how's the "DH diet" going? Are you still running/exercising? I thought of you yesterday when I RAN on the treadmill! I only did 1/2 mile before DH called but it is probably more than I've ever run (willingly) in my life. I've had a real mental block against running and the times I've tried have been when I was doing super low carb. No energy.

In the hospital I had to run to respond to code blues and I would look like I was the one that needed the crash cart when I got there:blush:

Then I let my knee popping/slight ache act as an excuse to not even try. After reading how YOU have continued to run with knee pain and serious injuries I finally got up the gumption to JUST DO IT.
THANK YOU X 1000000 for the inspiration!

LINDA., AIJA,..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aijarama
Stats: 280/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11/06 @280, 5/10 @242
Hi all! Breezing through as usual - gotta check in more!

Still poor since Japan, bright side is that all I do during the week is work and work out. The Lose It app is going well...with the exception of the weekend. I've got to remember to take it easy and not go completely off the rails. I think I've got a good handle on the amount that I'm eating, but need to still keep the carbs relatively low and the protein/veggies higher to keep me fuller longer. I'm now obsessed with Chia seeds - fascinated and grossed out by the way they swell up. I take a spoonful in my tea to see if that keeps me from getting hungry too quickly.

Workouts are good, doing Couch to 5K and this week I ran 25 minutes nonstop! I really think that for me it's a boredom issue - it seems like the longest 25 minutes in the world. But I did it (twice) which means it can be done again, so no excuses .

Weight is at 208. Not bad considering after the weekend I started Monday at 212 (talk about bloat).

Reading all the posts...fennel and running and tapping, oh my!
219 by 7/3/10 - ACHIEVED 7/1
209 by 8/7/10 (Bellydance recital ) not quite
209 by 9/15/10 still no!
209 by 10/15/10 DONE!
199... hopefully sometime soon!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone!

Teresa - I think something got mixed up, I didn't lose 2lbs. I've been staying off the scale so I don't know where my weight is, really.

Liz - that's terrific about the running! I hope you enjoy as you keep at it! I just love it.

Aija - I hope you like it enough to keep at it, too! I was probably running for 6-8 months before I actually started liking it but now it's phenomenal! I don't do it for exercise, I do it for joy!

If you have a chance to sign up for a 5k race, they can be very motivating. Training for the next race always kept me interested in running when it felt hard.

The DH diet is going well, or at least it was until today. I just *cannot* get away from obsessing about food today. I'm wanting to eat all day. No way will be make it only on 1200 calories today. I'm already up to 1110 and it's only 3pm! I think I'll aim to keep it to 1600 though.

I'm still having a bit of trouble with low-grade nausea and headaches. It was better today but still sort of there and I haven't been taking the aminos. I'm not sure if it's anything. Maybe I'm fighting off the flu or something.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Raaaaah...so, as I look at my little siggy, I see that I have been messing with the SAME TEN POUNDS for like four months! Haha WHAT is even going on! I've gotta get under 200 already!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks LIz. Yeah I have arthritis in both knees and my ankles.
UGH!!! Usually do ok with that I just hate this swelling and pain. Doc gave me an antiinflamatory but the insureance won't pay for it until I try generic brands first so I have to get him to write something else tomorrow.

DH had a dr appt next to where I work today so he took me out for lunch. I had a taco salad without the beans and the shell. I got so sick to my stomach afterwards and I am still sick. Don't know if I will even eat anything for supper.

Hey Aija

239/195.2/145
Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry haven't been around, kind of busy. I am on the maintenance of the detox plan. Pretty much following it but adding back some occasional cheese or pnut butter. But pretty much sticking with veggies, protein and fruit. I haven't lost anymore, I guess body is adjusting right now.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer, I'm sorry about your knees. I've got some arthritis myself but not so much that it's normally giving me pain & discomfort, only when the knee flares up.

I hope you get your anti-inflammatory soon. Are you icing it? Would that help?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aija, Aija, Aija, <<<<<<<<<<<<<< can you tell I am cheering you on. Go, Aija, Go. You can do it. On to "onederland".
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all. Slept a little better last night. The antiinflammatory that the doc gave me the insurance wouldn't cover so I took ibuprofen. I did 5 mins on the bike last night right before I went to bed and that seemed to help.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the cheering Vicki! Hit 205.4 this morning, what a whoosh! I have a wedding this weekend (a rugby wedding at that) so I'll try to keep a handle on things.

Liz, Valerie, the running is coming along, slowly but surely...Last night on Couch to 5K I did 25 minutes of running for the third time! It was a 5min warmup at 4.0, 25min @ 5.6, and 5min at 4.0 for cooldown. I notice I have to talk myself through it because there are a lot of times where I want to stop, just because I feel like I've had enough...I have to tell myself "your breathing is fine, you feel the same way you felt 10 minutes ago, you're not dying, just keep going..." I have to get really creative with the songs/listening material because I get bored really fast! Maybe I'll make a runner out of myself yet!

Last night after my 5K and 20 minutes on the stepper, I had half a turkey wrap for dinner and then felt a little nauseous later that night...I drank more water and had a Zone bar and felt a little better. That wrap was def not enough calories after all that running, but part of me feels like if I can make it to bed eating as little as possible at night, I'll be rewarded by the scale in the morning (silly). Glad I was reasonable and had something before bed; darn this crazy weightloss process and all our crazy emotions

Jennifer - hope your knee feels better soon, glad the bike helped!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #390
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning---it's Friday....not that it matters as I have so much work to do this weekend.

Jen---glad the results didn't show anything bad. However....do you really think you should be exercising it at this point? Hey---you know me, anything to get out of exercise! :blush: But maybe some stretches that you did while in pt would be better.....? Or maybe that's the kind of stuff they want you to do...? Again, what do I know?! I just don't want you to do any harm to it!

Val---I know where we got the 2lbs from, you said 2 down, 24 to go. So if that isn't lbs, is that days? Did you make it through the day OK yesterday?

Aija---if you figure out some good and easy ways to consume the chia, let me know. I have put it in baked goods in small amounts with good results but otherwise the sliminess of it really turned me off pretty quickly. It does seem to work however to 'fill me up' and supposedly is very healthy so I would love to find some easy ways to incorporate it without grossing me out!

And I'm with Vicki---cheering you on to onederland!! And Jen too!!

Vicki--so how long is the maintenance phase and what do you do next? I always love to hear about different plans. Even though I never follow any one thing totally I often find good little 'tips and tricks' from different plans that I like to try out!

Liz---so what other plans do you have for the fennel? I'm in a 'no salads' mood lately....unless I'm out to eat then I always love them. I think I'll have to buy some and try it out, but I'm going to wait until I have a couple of ideas of what to do with it cause if I remember right it's pretty expensive around here so I want to put it to good use!

OK, busy day, busy weekend....blah. I need to plan something fun in the near future so there is something to look forward to....right now all I see is mountains of work. Lately I have really been wishing I could be one of my kitties....to be more specific--Chloe. She is the most happy go lucky, no care in the world creature I have ever seen! Just one day of that would be very nice!

And, the 2 day lag in feeling sore after a work out continues. Yesterday I was fine, today my arms and shoulders are sore. It kind of sucks because then I am sore on the day I go back to the gym.

Meeting time. Have a good one ladies!
Closed Thread