Old 12-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Helen1958
Stats: 366 (highest)/360 restart in Sept 2011/347/265
WOE: VLC/ZC
Start Date: 10th Sept 2011 (this time)
Is there any hope left?

Nearly 2011.

I can't believe I am back on here, even fatter than ever.

The last time I weighed I was over 360. I daren't even look at what I weigh now. I'm 52 and 5ft 3.

My dieting failure is entirely mental/emotional. Somehow I HAVE to get control of my mind in order to do this. Easier said than done.

I've been trying to diet for over 30 years, I manage a day or two, sometimes a week or two, sometimes even three or four months, and fall off the wagon. I always start off really well, throw out all the "wrong" foods and buy in all the "right ones" and journal and input to ******. Then something happens, or maybe nothing happens, and suddenly I sleepwalk back into carb-eating, overeating, boredom eating, comfort eating, happy-eating, any ole "excuse" so long as it's eating.

If I'm calorie-counting I start eating fatty foods; if I am low-carbing I binge out on chocolate.

It feels like I have a death wish and am on a slow suicide mission.

Time and again I've hit an "emergency" -- like getting arthritis in my knees, or developing sleep apnoea, and have been so shocked at the deterioration in my health that I've re-started dieting yet again.

I've now hit yet another emergency. In the last few weeks I can barely walk. I struggle to get upstairs, and I am ashamed to let anyone see me struggle to move.

This makes me feel terrified of losing my mobility altogether (I don't live with or near a partner or family and own a house with many stairs) and also deeply depressed and guilty that I have done this to myself, continue to do it to myself, and far from getting better, am just getting worse.

These feelings of fear/anxiety and depression/shame, ironically, send me to search yet again for comfort in food, even though my rational self knows that eating more will make everything worse, not better.

So, I'm stuck on this merry-go-round forever, it seems.

I've seen my doc many times of course and have been offered those pills which make you leak oil, no good for an Atkineer, and also weight loss surgery. In order to be referred to the hospital that carries out the surgery, I have to first lose 10% of my body weight "to prove how serious I am."

Therefore, my first goal is to lose 36lb.

Of course if I could lose 36lbs, I'd simply keep doing whatever I was doing and lose another 36, then another, until I'd lost 200.

Is there any hope left for someone like me, or should I just buy in a ton of chocolate, eat myself to death and be done with it?

I am going to see my doc today to ask for anti-depressants, in the vague hope that they may do "something" postive for me.
Helen1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
I am on the end of day two of yet another start and even today struggle with not putting something in my mouth to keep me from thinking. I lost 130lbs several years ago and have regained 30-40lbs and keep going up and down 5,10, 15lbs in the last 3 years.
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
You needed a wake up call and not being able to walk is a huge one .. Think of all the indignities you will suffer if you get yourself into that "beyond" state where maybe you might even need help using the toilet. I think asking for some kind of anti-depressant is a very good idea as is working with a doctor. Have you considered maybe finding one of the bariatric doctors at a local hospital for monitoring. Really there should be doctors willing to monitor weightloss through conventional means aside from surgery.

Stay with us! and honey, please ask to change your username! Everytime you see "Desperate" on the screen, it etches itself into your subconscious -- Seriously! How about "Hopeful" or something like that?

I am hopeful for you!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Mom, it can be very hard when you want to keep putting something in your mouth. When I had that I tried drinking water, and chewing gum.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pauline and thanks for taking an interest.

Yes I think about the indignities all the time. Already I cannot tie my shoelaces at all and can only put on socks by sitting in the edge of the bed and heaving each leg up in turn. It is getting increasingly difficult to do my personal hygiene, sometimes I cannot and have to shower. None of this has helped me keep to my diet. The fear of what might happen seems to be obliterated by the ingestion of more comfort foods. As I stuff them down and am comfy on the sofa I can blank out the fear, and the knowledge of what damage I am doing.

I am back from the doc's with citalopram tablets but having just read up on the net the experiences of people who are taking them (ie horrible side effects of nausea, sleeplessness, anxiety, trembling fits) I am sitting here crying my eyes out again as I am now too scared to take the first one!

I agree with you about the name.

I've asked and apparently it isn't possible to change your username, you have to re-register.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #6

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
You only have 4 posts! Reregister quick! We'll know it's you

Maybe the first thing to consider is that a diet is bound to fail every time. I was obese my whole life and morbidly obese my adult life and any feeling of deprivation would cause me to use food the way I always had - like a drug addict - to stuff down my feelings.

I suggest small changes that do not feel like a diet to begin with. And stop having big expectations of changes on the scale immediately. I think that is what gets 99.9% of us to fail at our attempts. Are there a few food changes or binge behaviors you can try to avoid as a first step?

This whole thing is about a journey to a new way of eating and looking at food ... how would the thin D360 eat on maintenance? If you can eat the way "thin D360" eats -- without dieting -- you will lose all your weight ... You need to start re-thinking everything you do that you have labeled as successful means for weightloss ...

I am away now for the day - off to multipe dr appointments with my kiddos, but I will check back to your thread!

Stop crying sweetie and start planning!!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Take a look at my stats to see that I was where you are--for far too many years! I was morbidly obese my entire adult life and didn't lose it all until my 60s (I'm 69 now). And if I could do it in my old age, you can do it now.

Yes, I followed your pattern and tried, and always gave up after 3-4 months--usually because I felt so much better and convinced myself that 270 was "slim" and all I could manage.

You are absolutely right that weight-loss success (in my experience) is 95% mental, but I've also found that I can't put myself in the right frame of mind--I got that mental state by just 'doing it.'

When I first started this last time, I had a terrible experience. A doctor I met because of another condition offered to 'help' me lose weight by monitoring my progress and advising me. I was thrilled and immediately cut my carbs and ate on plan. When I returned to him a couple of weeks later, I had only lost 2 lbs, and he began to berate me for 'cheating,' saying how obese people just wanted to overeat, etc.

I was devastated because I had been eating carefully. I never returned to him, but for a few weeks, I allowed his comments to derail me. Never again. So please don't let any external negatives affect you. This guy knew nothing about how I lose--I actually lose at only about a pound a week, and this process was several years. Learning about yourself and how your body works in terms of loss is a key to being successful. Please don't compare yourself to anyone else on these boards or in your life. Just focus on what works for you and make yourself the priority.

But once I got on track, it didn't matter to me how long it took. After all, I figured that in 5 years, I'd be five years older no matter what I did, but did I want to be 5 years older at the same weight? I decided that how much less I was didn't matter as long as it was less!

My mental state developed over time--i.e., as I stayed on plan, I gradually adopted a more positive attitude toward the process. So please don't wait until you think you're in the right frame of mind. Just losing will begin to put you into the right frame of mind.

Today I weigh what I did in 6th grade! (I was 235 when I graduated high school), and I'm more fit than at any time in my life. You can do this!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for your caring replies. Look, they changed my username after all.

Specially fascinated by Leo41's experiences.

"didn't lose it all until my 60s (I'm 69 now)."

I keep asking myself, do I want to be 360 pounds when I am in my 60s? "No", is the answer, so then I ask, "well when are you going to stop making excuses and start taking action?"

"So please don't let any external negatives affect you."

I will try!

BTW, went to see my doc this morning and he is as fat as me :-)

"Please don't compare yourself to anyone else on these boards or in your life. Just focus on what works for you and make yourself the priority."

Thank you for that. I know that because of having an excess of insulin I have to do low carb, and be really strict. The only times I ever lost any weight was when I went no-carb but even that was painfully slow (lost 14lbs in 5 months) though Atkins induction would work just as well. But I always end up with carb-creep.

"I figured that in 5 years, I'd be five years older no matter what I did, but did I want to be 5 years older at the same weight? I decided that how much less I was didn't matter as long as it was less!"

This all makes great sense to me.

"Today I weigh what I did in 6th grade!"

Many congrats.

I'm too scared to take these antidepressants that lie on my desk. I've read that they can cause weight gain, too! The last thing I need!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vee716
Stats: 340high 297/173.3/150
WOE: WLS(1999) - low-carb
Start Date: September 5, 2003
Helen, don't give up. It takes many attempts for some of us to finally lose our weight but every previous attempt just brings us closer to the time when it will succeed.

You can do it. Join a group here on the forums, commit to showing up every day or whatever works for you. Don't look too far ahead, your goal of losing 36 pounds right now is perfect. Don't look any further than that right now. You can do this, you can learn the things that work for you, figure out how to change your habits and lifestyle to match your life and still lose weight and be healthy. It will be a lot of work, but it is achievable!

And it is *so* worth it.

My blog - Find Your Own Weigh
vee716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/266.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
Welcome Helen1958. You have found a wonderful supportive group here! I've been doing low-carb since the end of July, have lost weight slowly but steadily.

My advice to you is to have even smaller mini-goals like keeping on plan for an hour, a day, a week. And reward yourself with a non-food reward every week that you stay on plan. Make sure you are taking a good multivitamin/mineral supplement daily too.

You can do it - a little bit at a time, find low-carb foods you like, and always have plenty of low-carb treats available so you aren't tempted to binge on the chocolate.
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone.

I have a MAJOR chocolate addiction. And so I have been SO PROUD to have NOT bought any the last three times I've had the opportunity, and I have not eaten any for 3 days. This is HUGE for me.

About an hour ago a surprise parcel arrived and upon opening it I found it to be a box of exquisite Belgian truffles sent by a grateful client. Within 30 seconds I had ripped open the box and have already eaten two of them.

And this is typical of the sort of thing that happens every time I re-start. If it isn't that then it's some function that I cannot avoid with a help yourself buffet full of carbs. Or I go abroad.

I find it extremely hard to resist temptation when it's stuck under my nose.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Teresa123
Stats: 350+/size 12/size 6
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Is there any hope left for someone like me
YES---absolutely!! I can relate to so much of what you wrote and for several years before giving low carb one final 'go' I pretty much gave up and assumed I was destined to just die a slow miserable death. I also had many intervening moments and wake up calls but none of them resulted in long term action/solutions. It wasn't until I changed my focus from getting 'skinny' which seemed like such an impossible and unrealistic goal--to just getting a bit healthier---that I finally "got it." When I started lc this time, I just wanted to get under 300. Didn't care so much how I looked, but I knew that under 300 I would feel so much better. I also kept maintaining any losses in mind right from the beginning as I had lost 50 or more lbs many many times---so I needed to ensure that this time I would keep it off---which forced me to look beyond the typical zero carb or low calorie versions that many people try to do with low carb plans (which may work for some, but not very many)---I needed to assess myself, and reality, and realize that wouldn't work for me forever. So taking everything I have learned about me over decades of battling obesity---I built a plan. And although that plan changes over time, it is constantly about learning what my body needs and how to be true to that. When I'm in tune with that, everything else falls in place. Don't get me wrong, I still struggle with it at times, but this struggle is so much easier than that battle with obesity that I dealt with my entire life.

You have tons of great suggestions and ideas here----decide which ones ring true for you. Look at your history and try to understand what worked and what didn't. Build a plan that works for you. Those chocolates and buffets will always be there, often right under your nose---and they are difficult at times. But if you build a plan that is right for you, and not overly rigid, it's much easier to handle them. And when you start feeling better and regain those things that you have lost due to the weight---it really becomes much easier to just not even look at that stuff!

As far as the anti-depressants, maybe call your Dr and ask for another option. If he/she won't do that and getting to another Dr won't work for you right now, then look at some natural remedies until you can set something up with another Dr. St John's Wort, 5HTP and many others are available at your local vitamin store and work wonders for some. Do some on-line research and see if any of them sound right for you. I just recently read The Diet Cure and have started taking aminos acids and can't tell you how much better I feel as a result.

Hang in there and post here often, as you can see there is a lot of support here and a lot of people who are or have been exactly where you are.....and a lot of people who can offer you hope---until you find your own again.
Teresa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Teresa for the hugs, thumbs up and for sharing your own story.

"When I started lc this time, I just wanted to get under 300...."

I don't have ANY goal in mind, other than to be able to walk properly again.

"Look at your history and try to understand what worked and what didn't. Build a plan that works for you.... "

What worked? Eating nil carbs. But I fell off the wagon when on holiday, and never got back on. What didn't work? Everything else.

"As far as the anti-depressants, maybe call your Dr and ask for another option.... look at some natural remedies until you can set something up with another Dr. St John's Wort, 5HTP...."

All the prescription meds have side-effects that sound utterly horrible. I am literally too scared to put the first pill in my mouth! I have heard of SJW and will look at that. At least it has no side effect. 5HTP is a mystery, will look that up also. Thanks!

"Hang in there and post here often, as you can see there is a lot of support here and a lot of people who are or have been exactly where you are.....and a lot of people who can offer you hope---until you find your own again."

I love your enthusiastic tone. I wish I had someone in my life with such enthusiasm.

Your own weight loss is just mind-boggling. Do you have any before and after pics? I have a small collection of before-and-after pics gleaned on here, which I look at to prove to myself that it CAN be done.

350 to 153? Really? Gosh. That to me is a miracle. I haven't been 153 since I was about 14.

Helen
Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Hi there, Helen! (That is a pretty name)

If you're having a hard time staying the course, you might want to look for something that's less stringent than Atkins but will afford weight loss all the same. Dr. Thompson's Low Glycemic plan is super easy (you can read the whole book in less than a day), and you can do so well losing on it! He also endorses slow twitch muscle movement for exercise, and you don't have to break a sweat to take a slow walk and have it mean something. There are also no phases, so you eat on day one what you eat on day 1,001. I do keep carbs to about 25 net for faster losses, but it's nice knowing I can spend my carbs however I wish!

I also highly recommend checking out Julia Ross' The Diet Cure book. Her book is compatible with low carb and covers mood enhancement in the form of 5-HTP and other amino acids for good brain vibes. She has successfully treated sugar addicted people (alcoholics, anorexics and bulimics) for a couple of decades now. Hers is the best book of which you'll never have heard.

Find a plan you LOVE and you'll be happy forever!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Senior LCF member

Helen- About the chocolate and the buffets. In my experience, every time I resisted, I built strength to resist the next time. It's all a process. You're already ahead of the game by knowing your 'triggers.' One of mine is sugar in any form, including artificial sweeteners. So I never have any--and I'm not really tempted now.

HOWEVER, I also don't say "never" to myself because very occasionally I'll decide to have a dessert, and I enjoy it. But since I don't have sugar for months and months and months, that dessert now doesn't 'trigger' anything. But I also never have that dessert in my own house because I know that if it were a piece of pie, I'd consume the entire thing. I will only indulge in a restaurant or someone else's home.

My weight has gone down, but my food issues remain. So don't think that because I now weigh about 160, I can 'relax.' I am actually more vigilant now than ever because I know that without vigilance I can easily be 300+lbs again. I don't tell you this to deter you, but to assure you that I'm in the same process you are, regardless of the number currently on the scale.

We can do this!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: at my biggest 375/195/ Goal 135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/17/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen1958 View Post
Nearly 2011.

I can't believe I am back on here, even fatter than ever.

The last time I weighed I was over 360. I daren't even look at what I weigh now. I'm 52 and 5ft 3.

My dieting failure is entirely mental/emotional. Somehow I HAVE to get control of my mind in order to do this. Easier said than done.

I've been trying to diet for over 30 years, I manage a day or two, sometimes a week or two, sometimes even three or four months, and fall off the wagon. I always start off really well, throw out all the "wrong" foods and buy in all the "right ones" and journal and input to ******. Then something happens, or maybe nothing happens, and suddenly I sleepwalk back into carb-eating, overeating, boredom eating, comfort eating, happy-eating, any ole "excuse" so long as it's eating.

If I'm calorie-counting I start eating fatty foods; if I am low-carbing I binge out on chocolate.

It feels like I have a death wish and am on a slow suicide mission.

Time and again I've hit an "emergency" -- like getting arthritis in my knees, or developing sleep apnoea, and have been so shocked at the deterioration in my health that I've re-started dieting yet again.

I've now hit yet another emergency. In the last few weeks I can barely walk. I struggle to get upstairs, and I am ashamed to let anyone see me struggle to move.

This makes me feel terrified of losing my mobility altogether (I don't live with or near a partner or family and own a house with many stairs) and also deeply depressed and guilty that I have done this to myself, continue to do it to myself, and far from getting better, am just getting worse.

These feelings of fear/anxiety and depression/shame, ironically, send me to search yet again for comfort in food, even though my rational self knows that eating more will make everything worse, not better.

So, I'm stuck on this merry-go-round forever, it seems.

I've seen my doc many times of course and have been offered those pills which make you leak oil, no good for an Atkineer, and also weight loss surgery. In order to be referred to the hospital that carries out the surgery, I have to first lose 10% of my body weight "to prove how serious I am."

Therefore, my first goal is to lose 36lb.

Of course if I could lose 36lbs, I'd simply keep doing whatever I was doing and lose another 36, then another, until I'd lost 200.

Is there any hope left for someone like me, or should I just buy in a ton of chocolate, eat myself to death and be done with it?

I am going to see my doc today to ask for anti-depressants, in the vague hope that they may do "something" postive for me.
Hey Helen I know how you feel I have been right where you are right now and let me tell you it is not a great feeling. I was doing just that I was eating my self to death I had sleep apena and had trouble walking and just living my life but I did get help and noe I have lost 129 pounds and my life is just begining again. If you want to know more about me email me private message me I have a weight loss journal on here called ronda's weight loss journey I would love to share with you and if there is any help or encourgment you need I am here for you. It is not an easy rd but When you can get on the rd and just get stared and this is a great group to help you you can become the healthy person you want to be.
This can be the year you can have a healthy new year and a new you Be blessed
Ronda

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.
Author Unknown

"Never, never, never give up!"
~ Winston Churchill

Live, laugh,Love
Facebook: Ronda Kay Kupfernagel Dudley
wanttobethinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hazelgreen
Stats: 283/233/180
WOE: General LowCarb/Atkins
Start Date: Restart again Dec 5, 2010
hi Helen, glad to see so many good responses here; many many good ideas, which is why these forums are so helpful to me too. In fact I read your thread this morning but I feel like a newbie again so was just reading what others posted here.

I SO relate to what you said about mobility issues, that's one of the issues that got me started again this time. I'm the same age as you, and I know it's partly weight and partly age that is slowing me up. I felt hopeless too and wasn't sure I could do this again. So far so good, but it's not always easy as we all know.

The minigoal theory is one I have to use too, otherwise weight loss is too overwhelming for me nowadays. We can strive for the 10% and go from there
GRRR I hear you on the cravings and temptation though. Every day I get "mouth hunger" and just want to chomp on something sweet, which is funny because I don't really have a sweet tooth normally. Forbidden fruit syndrome I guess.

so I'm browsing these forums constantly now to stay on track and just found this thread that I hope will help your chocolate challenges Bad Cravings? Try this!

I had forgotten about all the various helpful supplements which I used to be so well-versed on (I was a successful lowcarber 5-10 years ago). and I'm glad someone here mentioned 5HTP as I'd forgotten that one and had bought some just recently to stave off seasonal depression.

Another casualty of age, I'm having to re-read so much but it's fun to get re-acquainted with the LCF crowd.
Best wishes to you Helen and you know you are in the right place to get great support.

My weight loss journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...b-journey.html
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: alabama sunshine
Stats: 450/450/200
WOE: Low Carb (Atkins)
Start Date: restart 09/01/2013
Hi Helen,Your 1st start was coming back to this group.You can lose the weight you want to.I also have mobility problems and the only way that it will get better is through weight loss.Let's do this together.I have set goals for myself,in 2 years I will be 60,my goal is to lose 200 pounds ,be debt free and have a closer relatioship with God.I am determined to do these things.My birthday is jan.1st and thats my staring point.So lets encourage and support each other.
alabama sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #19

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Hey Helen. Being like that is horrible, I know from experience.

I am still obese, but I've gotten to a point where basic movement, even up and down stairs a dozen times in a row if I have to, is doable. I can attest to a good low carb WOE giving you a huge help to get this thing under control.

Please don't feel desperate. Instead, smile with your lovely secret that you will do it! And you can eat great food while you do.

I seriously do NOT suggest any sort of exercise at all until you get your weight down. Being that heavy is such a torture to your joints already...

Keep coming in here and keep at it, Helen. We are pulling for you!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

OMG .... I feel overwhelmed with the number of responses here. So many people caring and rooting for me.... I wish you were all here in this room... such beautiful souls reaching out to me.... thank you all so, so much!

I'm just staggered at the amount of weight some of you have lost. It just doesn't seem to be possible. I must look at some before-and-after pics. I'm reading and taking on board everything said on here.

Thanks to Teresa I bought 60 days worth of 5-HTP from Ebay yesterday. Decided not to take the doc's meds until I have tried the 5-HTP. I feel no fear about 5-HTP.

Setting weight goals has never worked for me in the past. A) it seems that our bodies will give up excess weight when they feel ready to, not to order. B) I found in the past that if I failed to meet a goal (because of A) I gave up and in misery yet again scoffed another chocolate bar. My goals will only be to keep to my chosen food plan, and to get more mobile. If I could just manage my toilet functions easier, that would be a huge goal to reach. Tying my shoelaces will be another.

I will go to the pool when it reopens in January and do some stretches and kicks etc, not for weightloss (because I know it does not work) but for flexibility, a cardio workout, and mood-lifting.

Thanks to you all again!

Helen
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

OK well today has gone really badly.

Not only am I still eating those chocs that arrived as a Xmas present, I have yet again over-eaten. I had mug of 100 calorie soup for breakfast, hoping that would see me through a few hours, but suddenly on impulse I grabbed a whole tray seven pieces of southern fried chicken from the freezer, cooked and ate the entire lot with some home made coleslaw, then more chocolate.

I really hate myself right now and am asking, what is it I get from overeating? The answer that comes is, emotional comfort, I love feeling stuffed full. It makes me feel good emotionally. As my stomach gets emptier I feel needy, empty, and feel a great urge to fill myself right up again till I am really stuffed. Then I feel comforted and less alone and empty.

How can I ever stop this behaviour when I get so much comfort from it?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #22

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen1958 View Post
I had mug of 100 calorie soup for breakfast, hoping that would see me through a few hours,
I was never a breakfast person until I started LC.
Now I always eat breakfast, and I find when I don't I end up doing more grazing. I try to eat some fats and proteins for breakfast, and it is isn't just eggs...it is leftovers, or burgers etc.

Here is Linda Sue's site with some great recipes. Or visit the recipe forum..some GREAT recipes in there as well.

Start going through it and plan plan plan.
Make meals/snacks to have on hand
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

When I started the first thing I did was clean out the kitchen. Toss, or donate, any of the foods not on your plan. If they aren't around you can't eat.

ETA:
Here is another link .. 3 ingredients or less!!
There is a sticky in the recipe forum and poster bmbshl put these in order on her blog

http://www.deliciously-thin.com/thre...t-recipes.html

Last edited by TXLoser; 12-21-2010 at 09:27 AM..
TXLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
You don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. I eat cauliflower pizza or lasagna for breakfast. Why not? If you enjoy it and it's legal for your plan, do it!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Senior LCF member

Helen- First--about goals. I've lost 180 lbs over several YEARS, but I never had a goal beyond the next 5 lbs. For one thing, I never imagined I'd ever get below 250, but thinking about big losses is just too intimidating. Just focus on one day at a time, and you'll be OK. Don't weigh more than once a week because daily fluctuations can also be demoralizing and don't represent true loss.

About your eating. If I were you, I'd do low carb--that's the only thing that ever controlled my enormous appetite. Like you, I needed to feel 'full,' but carby food makes me hungry--there's a biochemistry to this. It's not a lack of will power on your part--but the things you ate will drive you to eat more.

Focus on protein/fat. For example, that soup was full of sodium and carbs. It doesn't matter that it was only 100 cal--that chemistry will drive you to eat another 1,000 cal before noon (if you're anything like me). You'll find that bacon and eggs or tuna salad [protein/fat] will be far more satisfying.

HOWEVER, you should check out the Atkins information on this board. You don't have to do a pure induction, but you have to give yourself at least two weeks of low carb (20g or less) in order to feel the effects on your appetite. During those two weeks, you should not try to eat less; eat until you're satisfied, but only low carb. You need to change your body's fuel source from carbs to fat, and this is the way to do it.

I can still overeat, but by staying low carb, I don't have that 'emptiness' that will drive me to overeat, and I can make healthier choices for myself. Low carb will free you from those compulsions.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Helen - a 100 calorie mug of soup for breakfast followed by a few hours of not eating. No wonder you were starved. Try to eat something every couple of hours, preferably with fats and proteins. That way you won't be as tempted to binge. And throw away the chocolates!!!! They are probably triggering your overeating. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Why do you have fried chicken in your freezer? Why are the chocolates still there?

Do you want to succeed or do you want to fail? Because keeping the chocolates around is setting yourself up to fail. Hell, I've been in maintenance for 6 years and I wouldn't be able to keep chocolates around the house without eating the box in a day.

Clean out your freezer, fridge & cupboards and get rid of stuff you know you shouldn't be eating. Go grocery shopping and fill up on all the stuff you know you should be eating. Then, when you get hungry, you can eat to your heart's content of the healthy low-carb foods in your house.

I know this is drastic, but you just said you are having difficulty with your toilet functions. This is a pretty drastic situation, I think. You don't have time to mess about.

What if I told you that today was your last chance. If you didn't stay low-carb for the rest of the day you would never, ever, ever be able to lose your weight. Could you do it? Of course you could.

Pretend it's true, just for today.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vee716 View Post
Why do you have fried chicken in your freezer? Why are the chocolates still there?

Do you want to succeed or do you want to fail? Because keeping the chocolates around is setting yourself up to fail. Hell, I've been in maintenance for 6 years and I wouldn't be able to keep chocolates around the house without eating the box in a day.

Clean out your freezer, fridge & cupboards and get rid of stuff you know you shouldn't be eating. Go grocery shopping and fill up on all the stuff you know you should be eating. Then, when you get hungry, you can eat to your heart's content of the healthy low-carb foods in your house.

I know this is drastic, but you just said you are having difficulty with your toilet functions. This is a pretty drastic situation, I think. You don't have time to mess about.

What if I told you that today was your last chance. If you didn't stay low-carb for the rest of the day you would never, ever, ever be able to lose your weight. Could you do it? Of course you could.

Pretend it's true, just for today.
The reason there are the wrong foods like fried chicken in the house is that I have only just yesterday come back to this board and realised yet again that I have to do low carb. The chocolates arrived by post as a present and were terribly expensive. There's nobody here to give them to, and there's only a few left. I cannot go grocery shopping till Friday, when my b/f will come for Xmas (I have no car). In the fridge are some Polish sausages, some bacon, two boxes of fresh beef ravioli and two tubs of sauce, and a jar of green olives and half a fresh red cabbage, half a tin of sweetcorn and a jar of mayonnaise. I have about 30 cup-a-soups, a throwback to when I tried low calorie dieting, a steak pie (with pastry) and one tin of tuna.

I like the idea of psychological trickery.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I was a little harsh, wasn't I? I kind of did it on purpose even though I'm usually the last person to do that sort of thing.

I just wanted to point out to you the difference between what you say you are wanting and what you are doing.

You can low-carb until Friday if you decide to. I bet you'd find a way if your life was depending on it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Let's see if we can work with these ingredients.

In the fridge are some Polish sausages, some bacon, two boxes of fresh beef ravioli and two tubs of sauce, and a jar of green olives and half a fresh red cabbage, half a tin of sweetcorn and a jar of mayonnaise. Also one tin of
tuna.

Polish sausages aren't ideal, but they are pretty low in carbs. The green olives are pretty good too, but you might need to drain the liquid and rinse with water because of the salt. Mix the tuna with the mayo, and put some of the red cabbage with it to make a tuna salad (maybe even add a few sliced olives?) Bacon could be a pretty good snack too.

Can you walk to a drugstore? Some of them sell staple foods like cheese and eggs, tins of tuna.

I realize this isn't ideal, but it could keep you going until your friend arrives.

Last edited by sk8termom; 12-21-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mrssillymom
Stats: 293/282/190
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/18/2014
Hang in there Helen. I am restarting after a long time away and it is hard. But it gets easier. A good friend of mine always says, "one bite at a time". If that is all you can commit to, then each LC on plan bite is a victory in the battle to win the war.
You can do it!! Stick with everyone here. I got so much support when I was on here before and I hope to get that same support again.
HUGS and Blessings to you!!!
Mrssillymom is offline   Reply With Quote