Gallery: adelinesdream
Stats: 300/170/155
WOE: low carb;hcg
Start Date: August 8, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Before and After

by Cheri

Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we no longer see the self we're living in. We see ourselves every day, but we never SEE ourselves. I knew I was overweight, so I never thought myself as thin. I also never thought of myself as THAT big.

But recently, some before and after photos made me understand the story that the day-to-day me never saw. They brought a strong realization of how far I've come by following the Atkins Diet. They helped me take stock in the value of the work I've put into this and the progress I've made. Sometimes I still cringe to think that had I seen that "before" photo eighteen months before, it might of made an awful difference in the outcome of this story.

I first heard of the Atkins Diet from my friend Karen. She and her husband were on it and they were losing a lot of weight. So I decided to give it a try. Faithfully, I read the book, but found myself wanting for food choices. I used an online search page to look for lowcarb products and recipes. I found those, but I also found something far more valuable than lowcarb cookies and new ways to spice up a chicken breast.

Lowcarbfriends.com quickly became the center point of my lowcarb support. For four years, I've turned here for tips, recipes, advice, and friendship. In that first year I lost a whopping 80 pounds! Even when you imagine how proud I must have been, you cannot imagine how proud of myself I truly was. I maintained that 80-pound loss for months. But those months slowly turned into months of wondering when my weight loss journey might be complete. Eventually, it seemed like 80 pounds was all I was ever going to be able to lose.

It turned out that serious illness was the culprit. No, none of the urban legends about lowcarb dieting turned out to be true. Instead, bronchitis, pneumonia, gallbladder attacks, allergies and more were taking an ever-increasing toll on my health. Before I knew it, I was on so many medications that my weight started creeping back up. It didn't take long before I had gained most of the weight back. I fell into a deep depression. I turned into a hermit in my own home. I even stopped going to my support lifeline, Lowcarbfriends. Most of my friends never knew that thoughts of suicide even started to enter my mind.

My turnaround came late one chilly night, far past midnight; past the point of reason, when I was nearly as likely to have gone another direction. Sitting there in the living room, seeing myself, seeing my efforts that had gone so far but been crushed by something so out of my control. I had my eye on a bottle of Darvaset, thinking, "I will just drift off to sleep and the pain will go away."

The trance of that enticing escape was broken by the sleepy footsteps of my 9-year-old son, who wandered into the room looking for his mother. "Mommy, will you lay down with me? I can't sleep!" I realized right then that I could never think of what I had been thinking, ever again!

So I resolved that this would be the year that I will take care of ME. At first, I felt like it was selfish, but I soon came to understand that by taking care of myself, I WAS taking care of the people I love. I was not a happy person and it showed. My friends could sense it. My kids could sense it. It was time to turn that around.

I worked with my doctor to determine what I needed to do to get off my medications. I needed surgery to help me get off the pain medications. As I healed, I was able to discontinue the medications that had kept me from getting into ketosis and losing weight.

In November 2003, less than a month after my surgery, I eagerly returned to Lowcarbfriends.com, re-inducted, and started fresh. I was experiencing some weight loss success, but somehow the sense of accomplishment I felt the first time just wasn't there. Still, I wanted to support others on their weight loss journeys. So despite being rather shy and not very happy with my progress, I packed up and traveled to the annual Lowcarbfriends Pig Roast. There, amid the fun and friends, the laughter and the success stories, someone snapped one of the most important photographs of my life. I just didn't know it at the time.

I came home from seeing all those amazing successes, wondering why I wasn't one of them. All of that effort. All of that dedication. Yet still I felt down. I wanted to feel the elation I felt that first time, when my lowcarb efforts had been so richly rewarded. One of my good friends broke the spell. She told me to put some "before" pictures with one of the "after" pictures from the gathering. As circumstance would have it, I had discovered an old roll of film that contained some photos of me at my absolute heaviest. I had the roll developed and compared the old me to the new me.

I was flabbergasted.

Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we no longer see the self we're living in. We see ourselves every day, but we never SEE ourselves. I knew I was losing weight, but I never understood how far I had come. I cannot' describe the feeling of accomplishment I felt.

To date I have lost 150 pounds. And nearly at goal. The pictures I have put together will keep me going until I get there. I can SEE myself now. I'm proud of how far I've come, and of the dedication that got me here. To my friends who comprise the center point of my lowcarb support, I say, "Thank you." Your support and friendship mean the world to me!

Cheri, you are sooooooooooooo beautiful, inside and out!
adelinesdream is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #242
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jada123
Stats: 222/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 14th, 2012
You are a true inspiration. Your dedication to this special group of people for all this time speaks volumes. I enjoyed your story tonight and I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Thank you in advance for all you do to help others.
Teresa 'Jada123'
Jada123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #243
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Awww Thank you so much Teresa!! I really do hope that you enjoy Lowcarbfriends. It really has been my salvation. I wouldn't be where I am today without these wonderful people and site!! If you (or anyone else) needs help feel free to let me know!

Take care!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #244
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
ROCK ON CHERI

Like many others I wanted to bump this up and add a few words!!

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THOSE NEW PICTURES!!

YOU FOR SURE ROCK CHERI!!!!!

marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Cheri,
I am touched by your bio. You have encouraged so many people
here on LCF and probably lot's of other places too.

Congratulations, you are beautiful.
I am only 4'11" and this past year I'm on an impasse.
Even though I am doing LC, I need to get a grip on the calories as well.

Thank you for all that you do for all of us
Wow I just looked up and noticed that I graduated to Very Gabby LCF Member.

Last edited by Barbo; 11-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: err
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC

WOW You look amazing
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
Your story tugged at my heartstrings

I've always said in my head...
Everyone has a story so don't judge till you hear it

Thank you for sharing
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #248
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dinnielynn
Stats: 209/209/140
Start Date: April 22, 2013
Awesome story Cheri

Thank you for everything you post... I think I am going to have to choose you as my Team Leader...... as I stumble thru learning "Atkins", some of the info that I have been reading in the book is just too hard to understand. Like I am (was) a huge milk drinker and I amseeing you can have cream and dilute it with water???? That just seems so backwards and makes me crazy when trying comprehend.....
dinnielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
dinnie, you might want to join one of the induction threads . . . there are lots of good folk who can explain the physiology, but the idea of diluting cream is that the cream has fewer carbs than milk. If you haven't read Atkins that would be a reallly good place to start.
Good luck on your journey, and never stop asking questions.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #250
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnielynn View Post
Thank you for everything you post... I think I am going to have to choose you as my Team Leader...... as I stumble thru learning "Atkins", some of the info that I have been reading in the book is just too hard to understand. Like I am (was) a huge milk drinker and I amseeing you can have cream and dilute it with water???? That just seems so backwards and makes me crazy when trying comprehend.....
Awww Thank you dinnielynn!! If you ever have questions feel free to either post on a thread or I would be more than happy to help you!! As far as milk vs cream.. Cream has more fat and therefore less carbs than milk.. But remember that because cream does have some carb content to be careful how much you use because those serving sizes can add up! One good substitute also is almond milk. It tastes really good and has way less carbs compared to milk as well. 1 cup of almond breeze almond milk has 3 carbs.. 1 of those carbs coming from fiber if you are one that subtracts.. Personally I do not subtract because I am sure I get hidden carbs from somewhere.

Here is a link to the almond breeze sold on Netrition.. http://www6.netrition.com/blue_diamo...nd_breeze.html

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Cheri, your post has moved me to tears.

You are so right about how we don't see ourselves as we really are.

I met some other women campers at a get-together a few months ago. I thought one of the women was really big. Later she mentioned something about us both being fluffy. I thought that was pretty cheeky because she was a lot bigger than I was.

Then I saw the group photos. I was a lot bigger than she was! One of those photos is going to be my official "Before" photo.

So I restarted Atkins Dec. 22. I'm 65 with a very slow metabolism, and I expect my weight loss to be slow this time. I lost about 1/2 pound a week the last time I was on Atkins.

I just hope I don't get discouraged by the slow loss. I have reaped so many health benefits already!

I hope you don't mind, but I have saved your photos in a Low Carb file on my computer for inspiration.
My low carb gluten-free results so far: Normal blood glucose, normal blood pressure, fewer COPD meds and doing great, arthritis pain almost gone, ENERGY, allergies much less bothersome, improved mood......
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #252
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stylishtoo
Stats: start/178.6/ current 175.2/goal 145
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: january 2014
Cheri I just found your post I know it is an old one but I have to tell You are "AWESOME"
I just joined and I am totally inspired by you
Thank you
Ivy
stylishtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbingCarmen
Stats: 294/294/164
Start Date: March 10, 2014
Thank you...this is just the inspiration I needed. I know this original post is old, but the words are new to me, and just what was needed to help me start my journey once again, and stay on track. Thanks again Cheri.
LowCarbingCarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #254
Administrator

Wow.. I just happened to be looking for another thread for another member and saw that this one has popped up a couple of times lately.. I wanted to post saying thank you so very much!! You all mean so much to me and I know that anyone new will find some really great support all over the site!! If you ever need anything feel free to let me know!!

cheri
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #255
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BostonGirl
WOE: Medi
Start Date: February 2014
I'm new to the boards, but I just want to say how inspired I feel by reading your story, Cheri!
BostonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigmama
Stats: 309/287/?
WOE: Atkins/paleo
Start Date: March 2014
This is amazing! I'm on a lot of meds because I have really severe autoimmune diseases. I've been able to get into ketosis though. Is there something else I should watch for?
Bigmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jerseygirl1981
Stats: 406/313/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: January 1 2014
Thank you for sharing this. I know you posted this ten years ago, but it stirred something in me. I've been wondering deep inside what the point of everything is. I feel something warm and I feel tears welling up in my eyes. Thank you.
jerseygirl1981 is offline   Reply With Quote