Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Billy Goat
Stats: 324/ 297/200
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Nov 6th, 04
Wow, That is a insperational story ! brought tears to my eyes as well......

You have done a fantastic job Cheri, congrats.
I hope you know how much we all appriciate all the support and encouragment that you give to us all.......
As Melly said, YOU ROCK CHERI !
Hope everyone gets the chance to make it to the gathering.
Will be the 1st lc gathering of this size for me
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Melsh
Stats: 245/220/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 04-restart 2008-09...Back On Track June 07 :-)
Cheri,

Thanks for posting your story, it brought me to tears! Truly inspiring! Way to go...on the weight loss, keep the focus and we are all here for you whenever you need to vent, rave, or just some listening ears. You are AWESOME and look beautiful!
Melsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #123
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gettenthere
Stats: 316/160/180/201/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31st, 2003

Dearest Cheri,
words fail me hun, you are just awesome , been such an inspiration, and how you find the time to do all you do for others is beyond me. You are truly loved and these boards and chat just wouldn't be the same with out u and your unwavering support. You have touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes may the good Lord always keep you under his care and to your son love you.
gettenthere
gettenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #124
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
WOW Cheri! I never saw this thread, so I'm glad it got bumped.

You're doing a great job, and I hope you feel better soon! I totally understand what you mean about not seeing yourself the way you really are. And seeing the effects of our hard work when we're not at goal yet is harder yet, IMO.

KUTGW!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonzi
Stats:
Start Date: 11/15/05
Just what I needed...

Cheri,
I've been seaching for a thread of hope, a glimmer of motivation and I think I have found it reading your story. I had lost 68 lbs on Atkin and thru trials and tribulations at work and at home, I have gained much of it back. As I
try to get back on the low carb lifestyle I cannot "manufacture" the enthusiasm or drive I had the first time. I'm going to pull some pictures as you did and see if that helps. Just reading what you went thru and knowing I'm not alone, will possibly be the single thing that gets my momentum going!
Thanks so much for sharing your story (Im sure it wasn't easy) and helping others thru your example!
Blessings!
Bonzi
Bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aussieaussie
Good Job!
aussieaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #127
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Shirlgirl
Stats: 212/165/150
WOE: ATKINS-K I S S
Start Date: 1/1/09
A truly inspirational story good job
You have overcome the worst part thank you for sharing it makes my problems look small in comparison
Shirlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yankee Belle
Stats: 293/275/170 Height 5'10"
WOE: My Way
Start Date: January 2, 2006
It's not always easy to dig deep and share the way you just did. Thank you. You look amazing...but better than that, you seem to FEEL that way now as well.
Yankee Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #129
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
girl ur amazing!!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: gettingstrength
Stats: 184 / 170 / ?
Start Date: 6 / 1 / 2002
What a great story . Thanks for sharing .
gettingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #131
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: xfatchik
Stats: size 22/4/4
WOE: Atkins ( 126 lbs gone! )
Start Date: June 9, 2003
Thanks for sharing your story. You are so beautiful inside and out!
xfatchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #132
Mr. Nice Guy

Gallery: Tyrone Bill
Stats: 350/270/200
WOE: Protein Power Plan
Start Date: May '02(370/185/170) Restart: 06/1/09(350/270/200)
Thanks for sharing Cheri. Very inpirational.
Tyrone Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladydi59
Great Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri
Before and After

by Cheri

Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we no longer see the self we're living in. We see ourselves every day, but we never SEE ourselves. I knew I was overweight, so I never thought myself as thin. I also never thought of myself as THAT big.

But recently, some before and after photos made me understand the story that the day-to-day me never saw. They brought a strong realization of how far I've come by following the Atkins Diet. They helped me take stock in the value of the work I've put into this and the progress I've made. Sometimes I still cringe to think that had I seen that "before" photo eighteen months before, it might of made an awful difference in the outcome of this story.

I first heard of the Atkins Diet from my friend Karen. She and her husband were on it and they were losing a lot of weight. So I decided to give it a try. Faithfully, I read the book, but found myself wanting for food choices. I used an online search page to look for lowcarb products and recipes. I found those, but I also found something far more valuable than lowcarb cookies and new ways to spice up a chicken breast.

Lowcarbfriends.com quickly became the center point of my lowcarb support. For four years, I've turned here for tips, recipes, advice, and friendship. In that first year I lost a whopping 80 pounds! Even when you imagine how proud I must have been, you cannot imagine how proud of myself I truly was. I maintained that 80-pound loss for months. But those months slowly turned into months of wondering when my weight loss journey might be complete. Eventually, it seemed like 80 pounds was all I was ever going to be able to lose.

It turned out that serious illness was the culprit. No, none of the urban legends about lowcarb dieting turned out to be true. Instead, bronchitis, pneumonia, gallbladder attacks, allergies and more were taking an ever-increasing toll on my health. Before I knew it, I was on so many medications that my weight started creeping back up. It didn't take long before I had gained most of the weight back. I fell into a deep depression. I turned into a hermit in my own home. I even stopped going to my support lifeline, Lowcarbfriends. Most of my friends never knew that thoughts of suicide even started to enter my mind.

My turnaround came late one chilly night, far past midnight; past the point of reason, when I was nearly as likely to have gone another direction. Sitting there in the living room, seeing myself, seeing my efforts that had gone so far but been crushed by something so out of my control. I had my eye on a bottle of Darvaset, thinking, "I will just drift off to sleep and the pain will go away."

The trance of that enticing escape was broken by the sleepy footsteps of my 9-year-old son, who wandered into the room looking for his mother. "Mommy, will you lay down with me? I can't sleep!" I realized right then that I could never think of what I had been thinking, ever again!

So I resolved that this would be the year that I will take care of ME. At first, I felt like it was selfish, but I soon came to understand that by taking care of myself, I WAS taking care of the people I love. I was not a happy person and it showed. My friends could sense it. My kids could sense it. It was time to turn that around.

I worked with my doctor to determine what I needed to do to get off my medications. I needed surgery to help me get off the pain medications. As I healed, I was able to discontinue the medications that had kept me from getting into ketosis and losing weight.

In November 2003, less than a month after my surgery, I eagerly returned to Lowcarbfriends.com, re-inducted, and started fresh. I was experiencing some weight loss success, but somehow the sense of accomplishment I felt the first time just wasn't there. Still, I wanted to support others on their weight loss journeys. So despite being rather shy and not very happy with my progress, I packed up and traveled to the annual Lowcarbfriends Pig Roast. There, amid the fun and friends, the laughter and the success stories, someone snapped one of the most important photographs of my life. I just didn't know it at the time.

I came home from seeing all those amazing successes, wondering why I wasn't one of them. All of that effort. All of that dedication. Yet still I felt down. I wanted to feel the elation I felt that first time, when my lowcarb efforts had been so richly rewarded. One of my good friends broke the spell. She told me to put some "before" pictures with one of the "after" pictures from the gathering. As circumstance would have it, I had discovered an old roll of film that contained some photos of me at my absolute heaviest. I had the roll developed and compared the old me to the new me.

I was flabbergasted.

Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we no longer see the self we're living in. We see ourselves every day, but we never SEE ourselves. I knew I was losing weight, but I never understood how far I had come. I cannot' describe the feeling of accomplishment I felt.

To date I have lost 90 pounds. Though I am not at goal, I know I will get there. The pictures I have put together will keep me going until I get there. I can SEE myself now. I'm proud of how far I've come, and of the dedication that got me here. To my friends who comprise the center point of my lowcarb support, I say, "Thank you." Your support and friendship mean the world to me!

I am new to this site as of today. I don't even know how to use this site! But I did get to read your testimony and see the difference in your life. I am sure it has affected you in so many ways. I just wanted to say thank you, thank u for being brave enough to show your b4 and after pictures and give you words of encourgement. I hope u get this and can respond back. Good Job!1
ladydi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladydi59
I hope I did this correct . good job
ladydi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #135
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Wow... I am surprised this thread popped up again! Thank you so so much... you all are so very sweet and I appreciate your kind words.

I tell you what.. its been quite a journey so far... a never ending one, for low carb is not a diet but a way of life.. and if it wasn't for the people around me I am sure I would never have made it this far.

Welcome to the site all you new peoples... you have found a great site for information and support... and with everyone here... I am sure YOUR journey will be a successful one...

Thank you for reading...

cheri

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: happytobehome
Stats: 246/237.5/168
WOE: Atkins again
Start Date: 1/3/08
Thanks Cheri,
Your story is truly inspiring and it is wonderful to see your pictures. I am new to this board and find it so much help that I look forward to learning more about the people and their personal stories. Keep up the AWESOME work.
happytobehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ginley
Stats: 220/186/150?
Start Date: March 2006
Im going thru a bit of depression myself.... thank you for your story and thank God for the site. My Doctor actualy told me about me about it and I think its going to help me tons
Ginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 AM   #138
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dodgerchick
Stats: 217/217/120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri
At first, I felt like it was selfish, but I soon came to understand that [COLOR=Navy]by taking care of myself, I WAS taking care of the people I love.[/COLOR]
What a story Cheri, I'm glad I stumbled upon it. The quote noted above is what truly stands out IMO, gratz, you look wonderful!

Keep up the good work
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:13 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DirtDiva
Stats: 228/199/199
Start Date: R1 10/1/11
Thank you for the inspiration Cheri. I come here recently and I really get no response to my posts (rarely). It is discouraging, but then I remember who I am doing this for, ME! This was very WELL put! I liked what you said below:

Sometimes we get so caught up in our lives that we no longer see the self we're living in. We see ourselves every day, but we never SEE ourselves. I knew I was losing weight, but I never understood how far I had come. I cannot' describe the feeling of accomplishment I felt.

Heather
Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002

Great testimony!!!!
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by countregirl
Thank you for the inspiration Cheri. I come here recently and I really get no response to my posts (rarely). It is discouraging, but then I remember who I am doing this for, ME! This was very WELL put! I liked what you said below:

Heather
Awwwww Heather... *running to find her posts!*

Don't get discouraged sweetie... you will get responses hun..

cheri
Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dantesmom
Start Date: July 2006
Cheri, I just wanted to tell you that your story really touched me, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for posting it.

sally
dantesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HarleyLady
Stats: high weight 300 down to 138 (2005) now 190
WOE: LOw Carbing, nO Sugar/Bread
Start Date: Jan 1st, 2004 ( again 12/08)
hey cheri i found you

hey cheri i found ya again
your story is wondeful as all your threads i follow. this is an amazing site.
i finally got to 145 after being 153 for months, now i just got about 25 to go
HarleyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #144
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: darkandlovely478
I'm new in here, but I must say your story was very inspirational to me. Keep up the good work and always keep in mind that "YOU ARE WORTH IT."
darkandlovely478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chelle
Stats: 219.2/219.2/160
WOE: 20 gm carbs daily
Start Date: Low Carb
Cheri, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your story. I don't cry easy and I have tears streaming down my face. What a journey you have been through. Thanks again for sharing and you look wonderful, very healthy and happy.
Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #146
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotchocolate??
Stats: 271/271/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart - 6/19/07
Congratulations Cheri!!! You have been such a huge inspiration to me and to everyone else on this board. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so happy for you!!
(((hugs)))
Jules
gotchocolate?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HarleyLady
Stats: high weight 300 down to 138 (2005) now 190
WOE: LOw Carbing, nO Sugar/Bread
Start Date: Jan 1st, 2004 ( again 12/08)
HarleyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sammymomma
Stats: 300/223/199
WOE: Low carb!! weight watchers
Start Date: 2/17/2013
wow...very inspiring
sammymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 40winks
WOE: Now on HGC and LOVE IT!
Start Date: Did 18 months of Atkins in 2002-3: 263/184
Thank you, Cheri, for sharing your story. You help all of us!
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #150
Administrator

Awwww thanks... You all are so sweet to me and I love you tons!!

cheri