Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Gluten free
Start Date: April 2013
Pills for digesting gluten???

I have recently seen ads that say you can eat gluten again if you take these pills which claim to change the gluten into something digestible. I'm scared of gluten and won't experiment until I know if this works. Has anyone tried this or have any opinion/knowledge about it?
Thanks in advance!
ifthespiritmovesme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I listened to most of the speakers during the Gluten Summit which took place in November 2013. Lots of experts. The pills were mentioned briefly and considered not to work. Disappointing.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Gluten free
Start Date: April 2013
Yeah...I figured. Thanks!
ifthespiritmovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pagan
I use Gluten Digest pills when I'm going out to a restaurant and I'm worried about cross-contamination. They do a pretty good job of helping me with the gastrointestinal symptoms (I can burp constantly for hours - sorry for the TMI) if I happen to get cross-contaminated or accidentally glutened. So they help me a little.

But they don't help with any of the other Celia symptoms I get - painful joints and muscles, etc., etc., etc. Which is how I know they work for me for the gas, burping, bloating issues. I'll know I got some gluten because end up getting the other symptoms but not as much of the gastrointestinal stuff.

But they in no way allow a Celiac person to eat gluten. Even if they help some people with some of the symptoms of a "glutening" the gluten is still doing all the terrible things that gluten does to a person with Celiac disease.

I saw a bunch of people reviewed them on Amazon, saying that now they can go out and eat gluten with no problem. I'm thinking those people must not have Celiac's. Maybe wheat is just hard for them to digest?

I take them as a precaution because it's so hard to avoid cross contamination when eating out, even in those places that say they have safe, gluten-free options. Then if I do get glutened, at least my husband doesn't have to listen to me burp three hundred times.
Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote