LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djksin
Stats: 275/255/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2/10
warning tmi question- need suggestions

I am gluten intolerant and have diverticulitis. Low carb is the only way I lose weight but I can't risk getting constipation because I get diverticulitis flare ups, which generally ends with me in the hospital. I need to lose but I need to keep moving. Any suggestions.
djksin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: momacat
I don't understand your problem. Can't you just not eat foods with gluten in them and stay low carb? Am I missing something?
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Magnesium supplementation may help as well as being sure to include in your diet enough LC veggies for the fiber.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Are you getting enough fat while LCing? Eating fat keeps things moving right along.

Taking a magnesium supplement helps a lot of people with trouble with constipation.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Have you discussed this with a doctor?

I've had problems with chronic constipation throughout my life, and my gastro says it's due to "slow transit time," and that there is no real relief in any WOE (i.e., fiber, fat, etc. does nothing for me).

He recommended Miralax (OTC, with many cheaper generic versions available). It's a tasteless powder that is mixed with any drink (hot or cold), and taken daily will keep a person 'regular.' In fact, sometimes I can cut back to just a few times a week. Doctors don't consider this a laxative, and apparently there's no harm in taking it daily if necessary.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Gallery: momacat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Are you getting enough fat while LCing? Eating fat keeps things moving right along.

Taking a magnesium supplement helps a lot of people with trouble with constipation.
Ok I get it. You can figure out the gluten problem but your afraid that the diet will leave you constipated.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djksin
Stats: 275/255/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Have you discussed this with a doctor?

I've had problems with chronic constipation throughout my life, and my gastro says it's due to "slow transit time," and that there is no real relief in any WOE (i.e., fiber, fat, etc. does nothing for me).

He recommended Miralax (OTC, with many cheaper generic versions available). It's a tasteless powder that is mixed with any drink (hot or cold), and taken daily will keep a person 'regular.' In fact, sometimes I can cut back to just a few times a week. Doctors don't consider this a laxative, and apparently there's no harm in taking it daily if necessary.
I wonder if that's my problem, because it seems to be an issue of volume for me. I'm not as hungry on lc so I'm not putting in as much volume to keep things moving an then it gets "stuck." Thanks for the info
djksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
DJ

Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
I'm in the same place. My gut seems to be irritated no matter what I do as a result of medication side effects. Ultimately low-carb now makes me hurt more in my lower back and the constipation in general has led to sciatica (my GI doc said I'm one of the worse cases he's seen), and I'm afraid it's going to end in surgery.

Eating carbs makes me feel junky but I move a little easier with fruit and oddly, gingersnaps. Weird. My back still ultimately hurts to the point of not being functional, but LC does this faster. And fiber supplements make things SO MUCH WORSE. OMG. I chug water like it's in finite supply and still - I went overboard with fiber about a week or so ago and was in so much pain I almost went to the ER for the third time in 3 months for the pain.

It's a really awful position to be in - I can't describe the psychological toll it's taken on me. It sounds like it's not that big of a deal but it's played some real tricks on my head. I feel like I need to choose between being physically healthy or being mentally healthy because my mental meds exacerbate and likely caused the problem in the first place.

=====

Mayor of Crankytown
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Fat. For me it's all about fat, and lots more than you'd think, but not like cheese...that's constipating fat, but stuff like butter and coconut oil. The volume is also less, and frequency is less, but no constipation. When I was changing to this woe, I did take plain magnesium supplements, and yep, they move things along...but my actual health dose of magnesium I take in chelated form so I get benefit without...urgency. Does magnesium flare your diverticulitis djksin?
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lowcarbmommy
Stats: 196/189/155
WOE: Gluten free, low carb, sugar free
Start Date: February 2013
It may not be the best solution, but Kroger has a low carb yogurt that is pretty good. There are many flavors to choose from. But if I'm having issues, I'm usually going well after a day or two of eating one per day! Most have 4 carbs or less per cup. A lot of days I just eat half a cup or so and it still does the trick.
Lowcarbmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Magnesium at night really does the trick for me. Without it, I am lost
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
DJ

Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
If it's landed you in the hospital find a good GI doc, if you don't already have one. I had to start seeing one and he told me the thing about using laxatives every day making the problem worse in the long run isn't really true. He explained it as something the medical community thought until pretty recently. He has me on Sennokote every day.

YMMV and don't, like, use that as advice because it's a still a widely-accepted "thing" to say it's not good for you everyday and makes your bowels even lazier, etc. I can see how his viewpoint would be controversial. It's certainly not a pleasant way to live but it'd kept me out of the ER for a few months. He said that Dulcolax and Sennekote are very safe, but just not to stray off those two brands. So ask your GI doc. For me Miralax is useless without a stimulant to move it in conjunction.

Normal everyday constipation's a different thing than the beast that's ER-visit constipation to me. My doc's advice was to get cleared out then prevent buildup from happening again by doing the stim lax every day and half a bottle of magnesium citrate once a week. My thing seems like it's unhelpable without a stimulant. I take Adderall and that helps a TON even though that's not what it's intended for.

Another thing that might help is playing with your diet a little. I wonder if I can still lose on LC + nonLC fruit. Grapes and mandarin oranges feel like they help, and I drink a ton of flavored water. I've never been one to crave anything fruity, I think this is one of those things my body is doing because it needs something in those foods.

The diet my GI doc gave me isn't low carb but cuts out gluten completely and I've felt a lot better even after just one day of cutting it out. I thought I'd be binging on rice crackers right now but my stomach is a lot calmer than usual and I'm not hungry or feeling like I miss some specific food.

Eventually I hope to being able to return to full LC.

Last edited by DJ; 12-03-2013 at 10:38 PM..
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote