LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grace68
Stats: 235/235/115
WOE: Low Carb & Gluten Free
Start Date: August 2013
Newbie GF & LC??

Hello. I am new here. I came here in search of some support and advice. I am 45. All of my life I have suffered from various medical issues such as Autoimmune Disorders, Migraines, Stomach Issues...etc. I had a lot of Gastro testing done last fall. I recently had genetic testing done and it turns out I have the HLA DQ 2.5 Gene and am at very high risk for Celiac Disease. I have several family members who have stomach issues as well. I have been doing some research and looking back over my life I can see that almost everything I have ever had healthwise can be a symptom of Undiagnosed Celiac Disease. I have a few questions that I am hoping others can help me with before I try to do this thing. I will list them below.

1. We live with my daughter and her husband. I will be preparing my meals separate from them in my own Mini-Kitchen so there is no chance of Cross Contamination that I read about with her Gluten Filled Kitchen. (Not really a question here just a statement)

2. Can one do GF and Low Carb at the same time? What would be the best way to do that. I need to shed about 100 pounds. So if I do this I really want to combine both so that I can lose excess pounds along with learning to eat healthy and eat the right things. How would you go about combining the two? Do you just use GF recipes and substitute low carb ingredients or follow a plan such as Atkins or how? (Yes, I have read Atkins and South Beach, been there and done that many times, but this time its GOT to be different and its GOT to work for me!)

My head is spinning at the moment Would so appreciate some input. I have been looking for food lists for Celiac and all I am seeing is grain after grain after grain..etc listed as to what you can or cannot eat. Is there just a simple food list with types of flour or cooking ingredients that you can readily find without going to some health food store to get? I live in a very small rural community so there is nothing like that within 30-40 miles from me.

Ill stop for now. I am sure I will have more questions soon though.
grace68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Holdensdeeda
Hi Grace, my name is Kathy and I am new to LC and GF too. I totally understand the head spinning... This is a major Learning curve but after a month it is getting easier... I think you will have to plan a shopping trip... Or buy on line... But you can start with low carb recipes on line here at LCF, that don't include wheat flour products, until you can get some of the gluten free products you need. Start your Gf recipe and pantry replacements from the recipes on this GF section... Jenifer has done an awesome job with her baking mix, and blog recipes, giving us a helping hand into the GF world. I will post to you again when I have a bit more time... Kat....
Holdensdeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Holdensdeeda
Ok this is what I find most useful for the gluten free for right now. I guess these are the things I can't livewithout...

1. Certifide gluten free oats... I bought Bob's Red Mill ... They state GF right on the package ... I turn these into flour with an electric coffee grinder I bought for under 30$.

2. Almond flour... I have used a lot of this... Next time I will buy atleast 2 lbs of this.

3. Coconut flour... Have not used as much of this as I did the almond flour.

4. Xanthan Gum... Expensive but you use small amounts at a time.

I made Jennifer Eloffs baking mix and have been using her recipes to get me throughas I explore my options.

Last edited by Holdensdeeda; 07-24-2013 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: editing because I let my fingers do the walking.
Holdensdeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
Honestly- LC is the easiest way to do gluten free- especially at first. Basically- when you start you aren't eating any breads, or starches so you don't need to worry as much about gluten content. You DO need to check your processed meats- ie pepperoni, hotdogs, deli meats because believe it or not many DO contain wheat / gluten. As well be careful with salad dressing- but as long as you are focussing on meat / eggs and veggies- this gives you time to acclimate until you feel that you want to start adding in these things in small amounts again ( the OWL rungs if you are doing Atkins) We do GF at home because my son ( and I ) are intolerant. We probably do too much baking but- hey he's 7. The storebought GF foods vary widely in price and taste- look for a good mix of flours in the ingredient list. Yes- they cost more- but think of it this way- if you pay $5 for a loaf of bread- are you really going to eat as much as the .99 regular bread? It is one heck of an incentive for keeping your portions in check

The internet is AWESOME for finding recipes- try some of the paleo sites or simply google lo carb and gluten free.
jennbeingme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Grace, I'm new to a specifically LC diet but an old hand at living with Celiac, having been diagnosed 15+ years ago. When first diagnosed I tried eating gluten free substitutes like GF bread,pasta, crackers etc. I eventually gave that up, finding it unnecessary & expensive. Instead I have eaten, and been very satisfied and happy with, a simple diet of mostly grilled meats and fish along with lots of veggies and fruit. That GF WOE is very compatible with a LC diet. I've only had to switch to lower carb veggies and cut out fruit and nuts for the present. I'm sure you've figured this out for yourself by now but I just stumbled across your post and thought I'd send some words of encouragement.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
I am GF and LC and I have allergies to gluten, dairy and eggs. I eat low carb paleo. I find that I am feeling better and my joints are less sore. Im also clearer minded and sleep a little bit better.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Good to hear you are doing well, Shantony. I also have noticed that I sleep *much* better (which is a completely unexpected and wonderful benefit) and am 'clearer headed' since starting LC at the beginning of September. And best of all my arthritis hasn't bothered me all all since then (knock wood). The arthritis issue was a prime motivation for having started a VLC diet and being discomfort and pain free for 3 months has been a minor miracle and a major blessing. Love you Dr. Atkins.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote