Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
Shortness of breath, kidney stones..link to celiac?

I have the above symptoms. Doc has no idea why I haven't responded better to an inhaler. I still have the heaviness on my chest. I was really sick at christmas with a sinus infection and bronchitis. Everything got better except the breathing issue. Going on 2 months. Now I have pain in my left side in my abdomen. ER Doc suspects kidney stone. I asked if my symptoms could possibly be celiac. Well no because I don't present the usual symptoms. I'm overweight and do not have chronic diarrhea. "And shortness of breath is not a symptom of celiac". (Really doc?? I googled it an there does appear to be a link. Lots of hits.) I'm awaiting a call for a cat scan to check out my kidneys and if they can...my lungs since I will already be in. I even googled kidney stones and celiac. Guess what? Yep. There does appear to be a link. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I have celiac. I want to be tested. But from what I read....there are a LOT of symptoms of celiac not just 2 or 3. Anyone else have the lung issues I have that are not asthma but celiac related?
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
dee
Senior LCF Member

anyone?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
I don't know- but really- if you try eliminating gluten for 6 weeks and your symptoms improve.. then there is a link. If they don't- then you try something else....
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
dee
Senior LCF Member

Yes. However, i was kind of hoping someone noticed a link besides me.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I've noticed a link between eating wheat and having a racing heartbeat.

While I don't feel exactly short of breath, just going up half a flight of stairs (like when I get the laundry from my basement) makes my heart POUND and I feel a little lightheaded and I'm breathing like I just went for a jog!

About a year ago I started taking a silica supplement because in the past it helped my hair grow; on the 2nd day I noticed my heartbeat was a lot slower. However, it still jumped up sometimes after eating; I thought it was because of carbs, not wheat specifically. Then a few weeks ago I stopped eating wheat, and I don't even get those episodes.

Don't know if that helps, since it's not breathing-related?
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/13 277.2
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
dee
Senior LCF Member

Hi ya Jenny! Good to hear from you again!

Thanks for the info. Yes that does help...makes me think its not just me .
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Good! You're not alone.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lowcarbmommy
Stats: 196/189/155
WOE: Gluten free, low carb, sugar free
Start Date: February 2013
Hey, Dee!
Before I removed gluten from my diet, I often had shortness of breath along with many other issues (severe migraines, foggy brain, joint pain, mood swings, fatigue, indigestion...). The severity of my symptoms greatly increased after the birth of my son in 2010. Like you, I never had any gastrointestinal issues (diarrhea, etc) at all. Everyone's symptoms can be so different! I was at my wits end when I started looking into the signs and symptoms of celiac and guten sensitivity/intolerance. I figured that it couldn't hurt to try! I could tell a difference after the first week (no indigestion, fewer migraines, joints weren't hurting all the time, etc) and after the first month I was sold on gluten free! I didn't know I could feel this good! My dr wanted to test for celiac but I would have had to start eating gluten again and it wasn't worth it to me to go back. Anytime someone asks me about trying the guten free way of eating, I usually say that it can't hurt to try for 30 days! What do you have to lose? I wish you the best! Good luck!

Last edited by Lowcarbmommy; 02-21-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Lowcarbmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
Start Date: June 2012
Yes, I too had shortness of breath and tachycardia prior to going gluten free. I felt the most significant improvement in the cardiac problems I was experiencing.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
dee
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys! Msn08 I have had tachycardia too. It's amazing what you notice when you really think about it.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I don't know about the other stuff, but shortness of breath is a very common symptom of gluten or wheat intolerance. Google "gluten induced asthma" or "wheat induced asthma" and there are tons of hits.

I went through this with my son's doctor. He had zero interest in figuring out WHY a 15 year old athlete developed shortness of breath in the middle of wrestling season, he just handed out inhalers (which didn't really help much). He insisted it couldn't be allergies or a reaction to something. "It just happens to some people."

We figured it out on our own and he avoids wheat when he is training or needs to do something physical. I wish he would stay off it all the time, but he is a teenager and doesn't want to carry food to school every day or give up his favorites.

DH took him to the doctor a few months ago for a check up and the doc asked how the asthma was. In true kid fashion he said, "oh, I am allergic to wheat and if I don't eat it I am fine." The doc asks, "Who figured that out?" (DH said he could tell he was asking about another doctor, allergist or something) and kid says, "My mom." Doc looked puzzled, wrote it in the chart and didn't ask anything else.

I'd look for a new doctor, but in my experience they are all pretty much the same & I like him for other kinds of issues.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Read Wheat Belly for a full list of all the terrible things wheat is doing to our bodies way beyond celiac disease.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gina, funny none of the doctors I have consulted have thought to consider of my heavy chest/shortness of breath issue could be an allergy symptom?? One said its acid reflux and the other thought possible asthma. All I know is I am not responding to the (preventative) inhaler. I'm going for a cat scan later this week for my kidneys and since I am already in there they are checking my lungs. When I go for an appt with my doc in a couple of days, I am asking her to send me for blood work to check for the celiac markers. Hope to get some answers soon. Thanks all for your comments.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Testing

Have them test for an actual wheat allergy as well. (also eggs and dairy).
All of these can affect you systemically.

Just so you know tons of people who test "negative" for Celiacs have great improvement on a gluten free diet.

Bottom line if you go gluten free and you feel better stay gluten free - no one needs wheat to have a good diet - and don't let them convince you otherwise.
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
dee
Senior LCF Member

Actually webcrystal....it just dawned on me that it may be a DAIRY allergy! All this chatting about allergies etc made me think about what I have been eating. Since I have been trying to stay low carb...I realized that sometimes I avoid wheat and gluten but I don't ever avoid dairy! Especially if i am low carbing. I came back here to make that comment and I saw your comments. I will definitely ask for allergy testing. Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I test negative for all these allergies, and yet the majority of my chronic health symptoms went away when I stopped eating gluten foods and come right back the few times I kidded myself into thinking it would be okay. Sinus infections/foot and joint pain/ headaches / abdominal upset / racing heart. Since gluten free my regular allergies have improved to the point I only need allergy meds in the springtime. I was once diagnosed with asthma, but no longer. I do occasionally still get the feeling like a band is tightening around my chest. rescue inhaler to the . . . .rescue? It sort of works.

So yes, I have experienced breathing issue from a gluten intolerance. I have also found gluten in the craziest things, including some foods labeled gluten free. One recently was a pepperoni stick. It did not contain wheat, but a wheat derivative.

Kidney stones, I would have no idea.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tttmom
Stats: 6/30/14...164.4/162/125
WOE: LC paleo/primal
I get shortness of breath from DAIRY, grains, and vegetable oils. Also get heart problems from artificial sweeteners. Eliminated them all and all the problems are gone. It wouldn't hurt to try, and might actually help to do an elimination diet for 6-8 weeks. Celiac is a strange one. It is hard to diagnose because the tests are so inaccurate. After doing a $1000 test on my son and having it come back neg, but him still displaying all the symptoms, she said why spend the $$$ on more testing when you can just do a strict elimination diet for 6-8 weeks, then try adding one thing back at a time and see how it affects you. Good luck! I'm interested to know what you find out
tttmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
I too think its up to us to figure out our own sensativities and or allergies. Its very rare to find a DR willing to help you. Like they said....what do you have to lose (besides pain, inflamation, weight and sluggishness)

Good luck to you!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
gluten

I had an appt. with my doctor last week and she mentioned that my shortness of breath might be related to gluten in my diet. It is worth checking out. I have enough problems, so I will be trying to watch the gluten! These things are hard to figure out sometimes. Good luck to all of us!
msree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I developed shortness of breath while exercising, but was already off gluten. It took a while, but I finally figured out mine is being caused by dairy. When I stay off dairy, air feels "slippery" when I breathe.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote