Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Easy gluten elimination for a child?

I just downloaded Wheat Belly to my Kindle (on a recommendation based on my own ailments) and haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm wondering if my 8 year old, as well as I, could have sensitivities. I'd like to try to eliminate gluten for a couple of weeks and see how we both do. For me, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for my daughter: she usually has breakfast at day care, lunch at school, snack at day care, then dinner with us. I'll have to pack her breakfast, lunch, and snack and make them all appealing enough that she won't be tempted to have anyone else's food.

Does anyone have tried and true ideas for transportable foods for children? We're not low carb, so that's not an issue. I can and will do lots of research in the next week or so, but was just curious if anyone had a standard menu they already use that's pretty fast and easy.

My daughter has very sensitive skin and gets the "chicken skin" on the backs of her arms, as well as hives periodically. She has mild allergies. She's very, very bright, but loses focus pretty easily. She is tall and healthy for her age, otherwise, so I really doubt it's Celiac, but I figure it can't hurt to try eliminating gluten and see how she does.

TIA!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I'm GF. I'll list some of my go-to foods.

Easy to transport foods that I take to work: yogurt (individual cups), nuts (packets), peanut butter (little containers), sliced fruit, sliced vegetables, and string cheese.

I don't know if you are going to incorporate gluten-free items into your menus or not? If so, I like Udi's bread, Bisquick for pancakes, pizza crust, and breading for chicken nuggets, Annie's Gluten Free Mac and Cheese, and Tinkyada pasta for pasta dishes.

Rice, potatoes, and corn tortillas are all gluten free.

Gluten free cereals and snacks: Corn Chex, Fritos, potato chips, many ice creams (check all labels), and candy bars (check all labels.)

Most LC food is going to be gluten free: meat, eggs, dairy, vegetables, fats

Check all labels all the time. You never know where gluten could be hiding!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks, that helps a lot. A lot of your items were things I was thinking about incorporating. I'm going to check out a store here that advertises a "wide selection of GF products" sometime this week too and see what they have.

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Dawn- I'm so glad that you are open to trying this. You would be surprised at the GF selection in the stores now. The Kroger here has a ton! Most of the good ones like crackers are in the organic or "health food" section. I don't remember what brand but they carry gluten free cookie and cake mixes too. The freezer section at Publix is packed with GF stuff. From muffins to bagels.

If you find a flour mix that you like you can get it much cheaper on Amazon. I get huge bags of Almond flour there cheap. I don't use it much anymore so I haven't priced it recently. I saw large bags of Pototo and Rice flour in an Asian store cheap recently.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Try one of those Fresh and Easy markets (I think that is what they are called). My parents live in Fresno and things I buy here at Whole Foods are cheaper there. There is a pasta made from quinoa and corn flour that is good (I can't remember the name and I don't have a box now). It is about a dollar cheaper a box. You have to be very careful to cook it the exact right amount of time, but it is tasty with sauce.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks Erin and Gina. Gina, I often shop at Fresh and Easy. I'll keep an eye out for that.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

We're on day 5 and so far, so good. The only issue we've really run into is Keira's daycare won't allow outside food without a doctor's note. That's pretty frustrating. Her school has no restrictions on what she can bring for lunch.

She's been having cinnamon chex in the mornings.

Lunches have been varied, but lots of fruit, veggies, and sandwiches made with GF bread (either meat and cheese, or almond butter/banana/honey). I've also packed her a couple of GF cookies or pistachios to snack on.

Dinners have been a protein and a veggie, often with quinoa. Last night we went to Chipotle's and were very impressed with the measures they took to prevent cross-contamination.

We're both sort of tired and grumpy. Is this common in going GF? We're not low carb, so I'm not thinking it's induction flu.

Also, someone mentioned an "easy" way to test for sensitivity or allergy. I'm to take her resting heart rate when she wakes up, then feed her something that's mainly wheat, then test the heart rate again in 1/2 an hour. If the heart rate increases by 15 points or more, it's supposed to be a good indication of a problem with that food.

Has anyone done this? Ideas/advice welcome! Thanks!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
We're on day 5 and so far, so good. The only issue we've really run into is Keira's daycare won't allow outside food without a doctor's note. That's pretty frustrating. Her school has no restrictions on what she can bring for lunch.

Lunches have been varied, but lots of fruit, veggies, and sandwiches made with GF bread (either meat and cheese, or almond butter/banana/honey). I've also packed her a couple of GF cookies or pistachios to snack on.

Dinners have been a protein and a veggie, often with quinoa. Last night we went to Chipotle's and were very impressed with the measures they took to prevent cross-contamination.

We're both sort of tired and grumpy. Is this common in going GF? We're not low carb, so I'm not thinking it's induction flu.

Also, someone mentioned an "easy" way to test for sensitivity or allergy. I'm to take her resting heart rate when she wakes up, then feed her something that's mainly wheat, then test the heart rate again in 1/2 an hour. If the heart rate increases by 15 points or more, it's supposed to be a good indication of a problem with that food.

I have done the pulse test and I do find that it was helpful in identifying my sensitivity to sulfites. At one point, I too was gluten-free because of my self-diagnosed sensitivity to gluten (supported by my physician), but after being over a year gluten-free, he suggested a challenge and that confirmed for both of us that gluten was not the problem, thankfully. A crucial part of the pulse test is making sure you have a baseline low and high and then looking at both relative to pulse increase above the range.

As far as not feeling well, when I went gluten-free, I did not find any ill-effects like the ones you describe even though I was especially vigilant with label reading. I sure hope you figure it out...I completely understand how frustrating it is when you're trying to put all the pieces together.

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 02-10-2013 at 08:44 AM..
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

No grumps from myself or my children when we first went gluten free and better moods all around, no more tantrums from me or them. I don't have any food suggestions because my kids never have a need for portable foods. but you will find so many things, it really is a great time to go GF.

The heart rate thing is interesting. Mine was always tachy and irregular before I went GF. But it was because of the attacks on my thyroid and subsequent flood of hormones.

I think it is great that you are doing this for your DD.
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

Saturday, we ended up doing the pulse test for both of us. We tested wheat, eggs, and milk and neither of us reacted to anything. It was really interesting to do. This week we're back to eating regularly, and we're not grumpy. I think we'll still try to keep wheat and gluten low in our diets just because of the things I've been reading, but we won't worry too much about cross-contamination or not having ANY wheat/gluten. Thank you all for your help!