Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Celiac / Gluten-Free (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/)
-   -   I need Low Carb, Gluten Free ideas please! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/794428-i-need-low-carb-gluten-free-ideas-please.html)

Maumie 01-14-2013 08:05 AM

I need Low Carb, Gluten Free ideas please!

My 24 y/o daughter has just been diagnosed with Crone's/Ileitis. She has also been told she can't have any gluten or dairy. She had been a vegetarian for the past 20 years, but because of this diagnosis, she's agreed to eat poultry to get protein. She's moving back home for a few months and I want to be able to cook for her to help her out. She absolutely won't eat red meat or fish and the gassier veggies like broccoli or cauliflower bother her stomach. I'm having a heck of a time finding interesting recipes. I know the brilliant (and talented) people here can help me....right?:aprayer:

Erin57 01-14-2013 08:25 AM

Is she also trying to lose weight?

Janknitz 01-14-2013 08:26 AM

Check out Paleo websites. There are great sites with grain and dairy free recipes that will help heal her gut. You may also want to look into the GAPS diet ad Specific Carbohydrate diet for her to heal her gut.

Look into fermented foods for her. Start with veggies if she can't have dairy and just the juice if she's not able to tolerate the veggies themselves.

dawnyama 01-14-2013 08:55 AM

You have to check out this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ce...e-recipes.html

and we have a whole section here on LCFs for celiacs:

Celiac / Gluten-Free - Low Carb Friends

nolcjunk 01-14-2013 09:06 AM

I think gluten/dairy free can be actually quite easy if you eat some kind of meat.

I cook most of my food from scratch and only eat a little bit of dairy so I already follow pretty closely to what you have to do. I think if you are willing to cook for her and she expects simple and tasty recipes then you will be successful.

Breakfast: Egg scrambles with different vegetables. Deviled eggs.

Big salads with lots of different vegetables and evoo/fresh squeezed lemon as dressing.

Roasted chicken with a side of a vegetable. chicken salad with mayo and celery.

Wild salmon with a sauerkraut salad.

Canned tuna mixed with eggs/mayo/celery/pickles or alternatively with a little oil, olives, and celery/carrots.

A chicken stir fry with different colored peppers, scallions, and mushrooms.

ETA Sorry I just saw that you said no fish- has she tried all fish? There are so many different kinds and they all have different tastes.

clackley 01-14-2013 12:35 PM

Sorry that your daughter is suffering but it is good to have a diagnosis. I don't know if this applies exactly, but think you will find some good and interesting things on the GAPS diet.

JessieBear 01-15-2013 06:43 PM

Will she eat Tuna? That was my staple a few weeks ago when I pulled wheat out of my diet, and you can do a lot of creative things with it. I like mine with the new Olive Oil Mayo and dill pickle relish. Makes a fabulous tuna salad.
Just be careful with commercial "gluten free". The things they substitute for wheat are typically starches (corn, rice, wheat, tapioca) that mimic "wheat" (although heavier) and can be 2-3x the carb counts, which brings blood sugar issues into play, not to mention the carb counts. A diabetic I know tried to go gluten-free because of the strain wheat plays on blood sugar and ended up with a health mess because of the replacement starches spiking glucose levels even worse than wheat.

If you are preparing foods, look for recipies that feature alternate flours like garbanzo bean (chick pea), flaxseed, coconut and almond meal. They won't keep as long as commercial gluten-free starch concoctions, but will be less taxing on the system.

Wheat is insidious - getting it out of your diet is like picking grains of sand out of a swimsuit at the beach. Second ingredient in Twizzlers just behind that oh-so-healthy "American staple" of HFCS. It can be done, but takes patience. Sticking with whole, unprocessed foods is a great start as well as the aforementioned alternate protein sources in the posts above.

Good luck, and the wheat-free brigade welcomes her to this WOE! Jump on in, water is just fine.

:D

jennbeingme 01-20-2013 06:00 AM

Try some of the Paleo websites- ie "Elana's Pantry" , "Comfy Bell", The unrefines Kitchen" to name a few--- there are many out there......