LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Gluten Free/Low Carb 2012

Hi! I'm back again. I tried earlier in the year, but apparently, I wasn't quite ready. Now everything has clicked for me, and I'm back to eating the way that makes me feel the best.

Here is what I am eating on my plan:
meats
dairy, including full-fat yogurt
healthy fats
nuts, including nut flour (almond flour)
coconut flour
fruits (if I want them, not a big fruit eater)
vegetables, including sweet potatoes and squash
dark chocolate (a piece or two a day)
black coffee, plain tea, water/club soda, wine

No grains and especially no rice flour, tapioca, or potato flour. Or my biggest weakness: corn chips, corn tortillas.

I've been doing this for about 10 days now and am happy with how I feel, which is motivation to continue. I'll post my menus, recipes, aha moments, and etc. here on a regular basis.

Please feel to join if you are doing low carb/gluten free as well!

Rachel

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 10-31-2012 at 12:06 PM..
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Wheat Belly (Grain Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)
Start Date: March 2012
Hi Rachel,
It sounds like our WOE is very similar! I feel better eating in this manner than I ever have with any other. I have been following the Wheat Belly program since March of this year, and have lost 27 lbs as well as getting rid of major chronic pain mainly due to inflammation. I have been stalled (though not gaining) for the past 3 months or so though, so I am tweaking to see if I can kickstart the weight loss again. The great thing is that even though I have hit a plateau, I have zero temptation to eat grains again, because there is no doubt to me how incredibly toxic they are... and without the grains, my appetite is very manageable as well.

I'm new to the board, but post frequently on the Wheat Belly Facebook page and have a blog of my own as well where I post recipes, tips and articles. I know how much community can help with a lifestyle change like this, so it's great to pass along information and become more educated myself as well.

Nice to meet you and good luck getting back on your path!
~Gretchen
Gretchen Grainfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Hi Gretchen! Glad to meet you!

I know this is the best way of eating for me--I just feel better eating this way than any other. It finally clicked for me that eating LC/GF is not a punishment, instead, it's just taking really really good care of myself. Pampering myself with foods that don't make me feel sick and tired.

This is why I'm excited this time to find those replacements that I never found before. A good "bread", a good "muffin", a good "cracker", and a good "pasta" will serve me very well in this way of eating.

Today I had greek yogurt for breakfast and a coconut flour muffin for breakfast/lunch. I'll eat some cheese and nuts when I get hungry later on this afternoon.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

I received my order of almond flour last night and made "simple bread" from Elana's Pantry (website,you can search for it.) The bread is great! So much better than any of the gf/lc breads I've purchased at bakeries.

Today I had a piece of simple bread for breakfast with a piece of string cheese. Lunch was greek yogurt and roasted almonds. Tonight, I'm baking chicken and roasting sweet potatoes. All easy, low carb, and gluten free.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
I most definatley feel better eating the way you girls have described...I am still working it out.
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #6

Hi Lizzie! I definitely feel better eating this way!

I've been experimenting with recipes all weekend. Almond crackers...could have been crispier. Am baking berry coconut flour muffins right now, plus a loaf of cheesy coconut bread. Those are total experiments basked off recipes I found on Maria Emmerich's blog. I don't know if they will turn out or not.

I have a pot roast in the oven to bring for lunches this week. It's starting to smell delicious!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Had some almond bread for breakfast and sliced roast beef for lunch. Dinner was noodles made from zuchini with alfredo sauce and chicken. And I made low carb fudge from cream cheese, unsweetened chocolate, and truvia. It's okay.

I'm very full tonight!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
yummy! This sounds a lot like what I am doing, however I still eat the occasional beans. I am trying to get off the beans, but they arent a deal breaker for me. The key is to find something I can stick with long term.

I'm Wendy Nice to meet ya'll!
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

Hi Wendy, glad to meet you! I eat beans once in a while, too--maybe twice a month. I agree that eating this way has to feel right for the long term.

Breakfast today was a piece of almond bread and a piece of string cheese. I've been snacking on some roasted almonds and will eat some roast beef when I get hungry for lunch. Or maybe some plain yogurt--haven't decided quite yet!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

I am doing great eating this way. The interesting thing that has happened is that I am starting to crave more "real" food and fewer baked lc/gf goods. I have three different "breads" available to me, but all I wanted for breakfast was scrambled eggs with ham and cheese. Same thing last night...I just wanted two hamburger patties with cheese and bacon.

I'm glad I have options for lc/gf treats available to me. I'm also glad that my appetite is seeking out other things. I am totally against counting anything, and I believe in the past, when I experienced weight loss success on lc, it was because my body knew how much food it needed. I bet I will start craving vegetables soon.

I don't know if I'm losing weight right now or not, but I did get a nice compliment at work on Thursday from someone who hadn't seen me since I (very quietly...no one at work knows I am doing this) started eating this way.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #11

LC/GF continues to go well for me. Today I had almonds and cottage cheese for breakfast. Not sure what I'm doing for lunch yet, but I've packed string cheese and have salmon packets ready to mix with mayo if I decide I want to hang around here at work. I probably will.

I am excited about something I made last night. I melted butter in a saucepan and then grated zucchini into it. Then I added a packet of salmon and a few big shakes of parm cheese and some lemon pepper. It was really good. I am looking forward to doing a zucchini lasagne later this week, too, along with an almond flour crust pizza and homemade chili.

Now, if I could just find a lower carb sweetener that I really love
Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #12

Just checking in. Everything is going well. I have Swerve on order and bought a bottle of coconut nectar at Whole Foods last night. I used it with my waffle sticks this morning and in my plain yogurt and liked it.

The waffle sticks recipe is one I threw together. I liked it! This made about 2.5 waffle "sticks" in our little waffle maker.

I used:
1/3 cup of almond flour
1 egg
sprinkle of baking soda
2 TBSP canola oil

Just mixed it all together and put it in the waffle iron.

Lunch today was leftover chicken, sour cream, and pistachios. And tonight we are going to see a movie...I might have some popcorn.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KyliesMom
Stats: 180/185/135
WOE: Atkins with eventual trans to Paleo
Start Date: 7/23/14
Hi Rachel.... I have Hashi's and I have tested as being Gluten Intolerant and I NEED TO lose weight... so I will join in... Being it's my busy season at work I may not check in daily but I will check in where I can... I would LOVE to lose just 5 pounds by Christmas and be Gluten free with NO CHEATS!
KyliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #14

Hi! Welcome!

I'm in a busy time at work, too, and I feel like this way of eating is just coming naturally to me. So I'm not posting a ton, but I will keep posting!

Today I had plain full fat yogurt and almonds for breakfast. I like that combo quite a bit. I also always try and bring a piece of string cheese, some nuts, and a packet of salmon or tuna with me. Seems like it works best for me to keep breakfast and lunch pretty simple and then cook a nice dinner. Tonight we are planning "pasta" with a tomato meat sauce for my daughter and with zucchini for me.

Headed out to San Francisco for Thanksgiving tomorrow morning. I'm planning on GF, but I will eat moderate carbs. Some potatoes, some gluten free stuffing, and GF desert sweetened with regular sugar. I'll go right back to GF/LC next Sunday.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Happy T Day.... We are having Turkey Burgers w/Almond Garlic cheese, Salad and Cauliflower... YUMMY -

What's on your plan for today
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #16

Hi Kim!

I'm back from SF. I had a wonderful time. My brothers eat very well, so everything I ate was the best quality...I did eat potatoes a couple of times, and we went to a place that had the best GF mac and cheese, so I ate that, too. My sister in law made a great GF cheesecake (but not low carb), which I also enjoyed. And I had some rice when we went to a Japanese steakhouse.

My body LOVED those carbs and wanted more today. I had full fat yogurt for breakfast and ate one corn tortilla with taco fillings for lunch. Dinner was roast beef and I had half of a potato. I need to transition back to lower carb tomorrow, but I think it will be easier at work...I'm going to be busy and I have my food ready to go!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #17

Hi all,

Wow, I am incredibly tired today. And have a big stack of work to get finished. I feel like I would fall asleep if I closed my eyes at my desk.

Breakfast was yogurt and nuts. Lunch was an apple and a piece of string cheese. I also packed salmon packets, plus I have pistachios and peanut butter in my desk in case I get hungry later. Dinner is going to be roast beef slices and shredded zuchini with cheese.

I think I need a second cup of coffee.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #18

Good morning!

Still exhausted. I think I am coming down with something.

I made peanut butter muffins last night, and I like them even better than the peanut butter bread. I used a jar of natural peanut butter (about two cups), six eggs, and a sprinkle of baking soda. Mixed it all together really well (used my immersion blender) and baked for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Had one this morning with some full-fat yogurt.

For the rest of my food today, I have apple slices and peanut butter, plus packets of salmon and pistachios. And string cheese. I think I am going to start adding a salad to my daily lunch as well.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken alfredo over spaghetti squash.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #19

Went to my doctor yesterday. I haven't lost any weight since I started to eat LC/GF, boo! I was hoping that the scale would show at least a small loss. Oh well. To celebrate my weight maintenance, I had gluten free fries and some of my daughter's chocolate shake for dinner. Those are NOT low carb. Trying to get back on the LC wagon today with the mindset that I'm eating this way to be good to myself, not to deprive or hurt myself in any way.

I am still really tired. My doctor thinks it's Vitamin D deficiency and SAD. I have been vitamin D deficient before, but I stopped taking my D this summer when I was feeling really good. Bloodwork should be back today and hopefully with some answers.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #20

Hello!

Well, it's official. I am very low in Vitamin D. I'm supplementing again, plus my doctor suggested ordering a SAD lamp for my office at work.

My eating wasn't too great this week. Gluten free yes, but not low carb. I had two small potatoes and some chocolate cheesecake at my company party on Saturday, plus I had junior mints and popcorn while watching Elf with my daughter last night.

So far, so good today. Had string cheese and almonds for breakfast.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #21

Supplementing with Vitamin D. Still tired, but not as bad as last week. I have a SAD lamp on order and can't wait to get it.

Had an apple and nuts for breakfast and a salad with chicken, bacon, sunflower seeds, spinach and olive oil dressing for lunch.

Dinner will either be homemade chili or we'll go out to eat.

I watched the clips of Dr. Davis (author of Wheat Belly) on the Dr. Oz website today. They were actually pretty good. I like it that Davis recommends not eating gluten free processed foods. Most of them taste pretty bad, anyway.

I decided to try another alternative sweetener...."Just Like Sugar," and I really dislike it. It's funny because the LC substitutions that I really like this time around are real foods like spaghetti squash.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #22

Good morning! Simple breakfast this morning...a sliced apple and a piece of string cheese. I really like this breakfast. What is it about slicing an apple that makes it taste better, lol?

I have stuff to make a salad for lunch, but I might run out to the bank and pick something up.

My daughter has a racquetball game tonight, so we're keeping dinner simple. I'm making chili. I do use black beans, but there's only about 1/4 of a cup per serving. Still fits my definition of a lower carb diet.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #23

Not much new to report...people at work asked me yesterday if I was losing weight. Which is nice, since I am not! Funny how people see you eating "healthy" foods and then think you are losing weight.

I am not hungry this morning, so I'll wait to eat until I am. At work today, I have an apple, peanut butter, chicken, spinach, olive oil dressing, sunflower seeds, cottage cheese, string cheese, and almonds.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #24

Saturday....slept in and had coffee for breakfast. Made almond flour waffle sticks for breakfast and had some turkey cheese roll ups for lunch. Not hungry yet for dinner, so I don't know what I'm going to eat. It's cold, windy, wet, and dark out tonight, and my daughter has a lot of homework, so I think we are staying in. We'll see!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #25

Wow, haven't updated for a few days. Gluten free is going great....that part is easy for me. The low carb part has been less than perfect. Last week, I had shrimp and rice for dinner, and this week, I had homemade chicken nuggets (breaded with gf Bisquick) and roasted potatoes. Plus, I had a piece of fudge and a piece of divinity at work yesterday.

I need to decide what I want to do about the low carb part of my diet. While I do love spagetti squash and zuchinni noodles and will keep those, I don't love any of the sweeteners I've been trying, nor do I love almond flour or coconut flour. I feel like I need to move towards a "substitute-free" diet, where I just occasionally have a piece of candy made with real sugar or where I occasionally allow a corn taco shell.

I need to think about it. I feel like I'm pretty close to a healthy diet...I just need to find a good balance of carbs that are acceptable for me.

Be back later, have a meeting!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Sorry Rachel,,, I have been MIA... I work in a jewelry store and we are SLAMMED right now... and I have been MAJOR off track but after trying on a belt this morning... I wanted to CRY so I am back I may not post often.. but I am here!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #27

Hi Kylie! I can imagine how slammed you must be! I worked retail in a book store when I was younger, and I remember those days. I also remember how hard it was to bring my own lunch/dinner and how much easier it was to run and grab something from the food court.

I have been thinking about my diet again. I know that low(er) carb is the best for me. However, I don't want to completely cut out potatoes, rice, and corn tortillas. I am happy to control them, though.

And, I'm pretty much done experimenting with all "fake" sweeteners. They are expensive, they taste bad (to me), and they never satisfy me.

I am also done with almond flour and coconut flour substitutions. Same reason. Not a big fan of most gluten free options, although I do like an occasional pizza crust made from GF Bisquick or a GF pasta (but I also love spaghetti squash and zuchini as pasta substitutes, so I will keep those in my rotation. Not because I have to do it, but because I want to do it.)

I am thinking about taking an approach inspired by many different diets I've tried over the years. And that approach would be:

breakfast: lower carb
lunch: lower carb
dinner: 50 carbs or less from starchy/sweet carbs

Lunch/breakfast could include: meat, eggs, veggies, dairy, plain greek yogurt, nuts, fats, and a piece of fruit either at breakfast or lunch

Dinner carbs that I will count: rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, gluten free bisquick (to use as breading or to make a homemade pizza crust), gluten free pasta (use rarely), fruit, anything sweet like ice cream or chocolate

I know that I can have 1/2 a baked potato, 1/2 cup of rice, or 2 corn tortillas, all for about 20 carbs. And I know that I can have an individual cup of Haagen-Daz full fat ice cream for about 22 carbs and a couple of pieces of chocolate candy for 10-20 carbs.

So, we'll see how it goes. I would love to lose ten pounds or however many pounds it takes me to lose one size.

I am starting this plan today and will do a better job of tracking here.

breakfast: ham and cheese bake
Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #28

Lunch: apple, string cheese, almonds/walnuts
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #29

Well, I finally got sick of eating sugar. This morning, I threw away a bunch of treats because they no longer sound good to me. I never thought that would happen, lol, but I'm full of fudge, "crack candy," chocolate, peanut brittle...all of it.

After much thought, I've decided to forgo my own plan and do CAD for 2013. I'm going to commit to doing it for a year. I need to take a bold action and just stick with something, and CAD is a good choice for me for many reasons:

1. Breakfast and lunch are mostly at work, and I bring my own food. As long as I can come up with some easy and portable CM's, that part of the plan will be easy for me. With all of my low carb "practice" over the last few weeks, I know I can do this. A couple of options I'm currently considering would be cottage cheese+an allowable veggie and my ham/cheese/egg/spinach bake. I could also grill a batch of hamburgers or porkchops and take those for a noon meal as well.
2. I used to skip breakfast and loved doing it. Then I got back into the breakfast habit. I wouldn't mind going back to just having black coffee for breakfast.
3. A reward meal for dinner is perfect for me. I need to have a hot, delicious, yummy meal for dinner. I can have a starchy carb, and I can have a desert. I won't overdo this meal because I don't like feeling stuffed.
4. This plan pretty much eliminates snacking. I know that is where my extra calories are coming from right now.
5. This is not a fast weight loss plan, but I don't care if I lose slowly.

My goals:
First goal--1ose 12 pounds, get into a size 8, and back to a normal BMI.

If I meet this goal during 2013, I will reevaluate.

I am planning to start January 2, when I go back to work. I'll probably practice before then.

I will be posting on the CAD thread, too.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #30
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Good luck with CAD in the new year, Rachel!

I followed the original CAD plan many years ago. I remember I enjoyed it & lost weight quickly on it. I don't recall why I switched to another plan.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote