Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Celiac / Gluten-Free (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/)
-   -   chronic daily headache and migraine? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/784637-chronic-daily-headache-migraine.html)

nspeedracer 10-03-2012 03:11 PM

chronic daily headache and migraine?

Anyone here cure this with gf diet? My lab says I'm IMGa deficient so that's immune ...
Any advice?
Natalie

Star73 10-03-2012 03:32 PM

Yes, my headaches and migraine headaches got much better after going G-free!

nspeedracer 10-03-2012 05:38 PM

I have had a constant headache for two years now. I have been on so many meds I can't even list. I can't lose weight because of the meds, I'm in pain and uncomfortable. I also have constant lower back muscle pain too ... Fatigue, insomnia, potty problems....
I tried vegan but it didn't help, I've done low carb but probably not for long enough and the lc foods have gluten anyhow.

Star73 10-04-2012 04:51 AM

Try to go G-free. I suggest you go to celiac.com and celiac.org for a list of foods and condiments,etc that contain gluten. There is also a "safe" list. It's a good way to get started. It won't hurt you at all to go gluten free. I suggest you also try to go dairy free. Just eat clean, meats and veggies and see how you feel. Give it a few weeks.

becky7474 10-04-2012 06:40 AM

Get rid of all gluten. I just had a friend completely cured of her daily headaches going gluten free.

nspeedracer 10-04-2012 12:13 PM

I went vegan before and it didn't help, do I really have to take out dairy ? I don't use regular milk, I can get coconut cream for coffee but I love cheese.....

becky7474 10-04-2012 12:16 PM

There is no gluten in dairy, eat away....

Star73 10-05-2012 04:51 AM

most people who have problems with gluten are also lactose intolerant. Dairy can be just as inflammatory as gluten. Just try one thing at a time though so you won't be so overwhelmed. Cut out gluten and see if that helps first. :)

dewdrop_mealine 10-08-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star73 (Post 15989233)
Yes, my headaches and migraine headaches got much better after going G-free!

I'm glad I saw this. I've been gluten (wheat) free for several months. It's helped so much with other things. I hadn't thought about my ophthalmic migraines but I haven't had one.

They aren't painful but my vision just starts pixelating and then goes away. I have to lie down and rest my eyes just to see.

Yep, I'm thinking it's the wheat.

:shake:

Star73 10-08-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine (Post 15999450)
I'm glad I saw this. I've been gluten (wheat) free for several months. It's helped so much with other things. I hadn't thought about my ophthalmic migraines but I haven't had one.

They aren't painful but my vision just starts pixelating and then goes away. I have to lie down and rest my eyes just to see.

Yep, I'm thinking it's the wheat.

:shake:

That's great ! Wheat is so inflammatory for most people :(

Gretchen Grainfree 10-31-2012 07:49 AM

I ditched the wheat (and other grains later) and said goodbye to chronic headaches and migraines that I have struggled with since I was about 15 (I'm 43 now.) I would take handfuls of ibuprofen several times a week to try to get rid of headaches that would typically last 3 days at a time. Also severe chronic joint pain. Start eating real, whole foods, ditch the grains, and you might be amazed... I was! And read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, the book changed my life!

Star73 10-31-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen Grainfree (Post 16049013)
I ditched the wheat (and other grains later) and said goodbye to chronic headaches and migraines that I have struggled with since I was about 15 (I'm 43 now.) I would take handfuls of ibuprofen several times a week to try to get rid of headaches that would typically last 3 days at a time. Also severe chronic joint pain. Start eating real, whole foods, ditch the grains, and you might be amazed... I was! And read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, the book changed my life!

I probably need to ditch ALL grains too. I was actually diagnosed with RA even though my labs never actually showed it. I had visible joint swelling and also pain. I've been wondering if I even have RA since about 70% of the pain and 100% of the swelling is gone since going gluten free. Especially with you saying you had severe chronic joint pain before going completely grain free. Very interesting! I love Wheat Belly too! I wish more doctors would read it.

saltnpepper 03-12-2013 04:46 AM

Great thread. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. For me gluten is tired to all headaches, even migraines.

Stop the gluten and you maybe surprised. Good luck.

E.W. 03-13-2013 11:46 AM

Girls I thought this might liven up the discusion !!

Sex cures migraines as well as medicine: study - NY Daily News

saltnpepper 03-14-2013 04:25 AM

:goodpost: :hyst: :rofl:

tttmom 03-23-2013 08:30 AM

I started out ditching gluten, then ended up ditching ALL grains, and dairy, and it has totally changed my life within weeks. No more chronic pain and random gallbladder attacks! Previous poster was right when they said alot of people are intolerant to dairy also, but if you're not into ditching all those things at once, just start with grains and go from there. You may find later that you need to ditch dairy too, but you'll know by how you feel. And YES... read Dr. Davis' book Wheat Belly. It's changing lots of lives, and it was the deciding factor that got me to ditch the grains. Good luck, please let us know how it's going :)

Nancy 01-26-2014 04:11 PM

I saw something on Facebook where it showed a girl sitting on the bathroom counter with her feet and hands in hot water and a frozen bag of peas on the back of her neck. It said something about with the extremities being in hot water and the neck having the cold that this draws the pain from the head somehow. Anyway, I don't get migraines, but I did read where people said this method had really helped them with their migraines. Good luck!

shelby'snana 01-26-2014 04:35 PM

I'm 98-99 % LC all the time, but when I do slip up and eat grains/sugar..... bam !! I get a migraine ~~ had them several times a week from my teenage yrs until 2 yrs ago when I went LC .It was miserable.... Still have them occas, but probably from stress .

Good Luck everyone !

GME 01-26-2014 05:11 PM

I started LCing years ago and my migraines and other headaches declined dramatically, but I still had some. I went completely gluten free about 4 years ago and haven't had a migraine since. I get a mild, regular headache from time to time, but nothing like the 4-5 per week I used to have.

I gave up dairy a month ago and my asthma went away.

Lowcarbmommy 01-27-2014 06:05 AM

I went GF over 2 years ago and was able to stop taking 3 migraine pills per day. Even with the meds still had 4-5 migraines per week so they were not under control at all until I stopped all gluten!