Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Suncharm
WOE: Gluten Free and Low Carb
Pantry Must Have List

I'm new and on day 2 of gluten free. I love to cook and bake.

I see a lot of recommendations for different types of flours and bake mixes and quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed. Right now I'm keeping it simple but I want to start restocking my pantry and freezer (GF breads and such) and want to know your favorite go to items or things you absolutely have to have in your pantry and what you do with them.
Suncharm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
I don't eat bread for the most part. I did find a gluten free cornbread mix at Walmart. I tried it and was surprised that it tasted so good. I won't use it often. Breads for the most part aren't LC so I just want to learn to live w/o it. I also don't do noodles. I did learn to cook a spaghetti squash and put a LC sauce on it. Even my sis and BIL ate it and loved it. They don't LC.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear.

There are lots of recipes in the Recipe section.

BOL
~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: Whatever I feel like that day....
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Veggie noodles, etc.

Just wanted to say hi to this group! I'll be joining you! I have this great little gizmo that lets me make noodles out of zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, jicama and any other round veggie. The zucchini noodles are particularly good as a substitute and go great with ANY sauce. It's called a spirelli slicer and I got it on amazon.. but it's available at many online kitchen gadget stores for about $25.

Thinly slicing cabbage into long strands works well too. If I am lazy I just get the low net carb shiratake noodles. But, I like using the veggies because then I get my veggies in!

For breads and muffins I use almond meal flour, ground flaxseed and coconut flour. There are many GF recipe sites on the internet that can help, plus I have a great cookbook.. Nutritious and Delicious (or Delicious and Nutritious) by Maria Emmerich. My most recent baked items were Coconut Bread, Chocolate Zucchini muffins and Pumpkin/Flaxseed muffins. All absolutely delicious and low carb AND GF!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Last edited by dipgal; 09-24-2012 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: thought of things to add
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine View Post
I don't eat bread for the most part. I did find a gluten free cornbread mix at Walmart. I tried it and was surprised that it tasted so good. I won't use it often. Breads for the most part aren't LC so I just want to learn to live w/o it. I also don't do noodles. I did learn to cook a spaghetti squash and put a LC sauce on it. Even my sis and BIL ate it and loved it. They don't LC.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear.
thank you for your input and this is the kind of thing I need to hear, I don't do Atkins but follow a lower carb but there are a lot of holidays coming up and I was trying to get some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
Just wanted to say hi to this group! I'll be joining you! I have this great little gizmo that lets me make noodles out of zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, jicama and any other round veggie. The zucchini noodles are particularly good as a substitute and go great with ANY sauce. It's called a spirelli slicer and I got it on amazon.. but it's available at many online kitchen gadget stores for about $25.

For breads and muffins I use almond meal flour, ground flaxseed and coconut flour. There are many GF recipe sites on the internet that can help, plus I have a great cookbook.. Nutritious and Delicious (or Delicious and Nutritious) by Maria Emmerich. My most recent baked items were Coconut Bread, Chocolate Zucchini muffins and Pumpkin/Flaxseed muffins. All absolutely delicious and low carb AND GF!

Looking forward to getting to know you!
I saw that gizmo on the Today show the other morning, I WANT ONE! I didn't know what it was called, thank you for the name!

I found several sites that have charts of how much you need of this or that or equal X amount of flour in a recipe.

The chocolate zucchini muffins sound delicious!

I found this for use in recipes that call for cream of whatever soup:
Soup or Sauce [S.O.S.] Mix

2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon (regular or low sodium)
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a re-closeable plastic bag, mixing well.
Equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup.

To substitute for 1 can of cream soup
Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water. Whisk until well blended. Cook and stir on stove top or in microwave until thickened. Add thickened mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup.

Store in closed plastic bag or air-tight container until ready to use. It does not have to be refrigerated.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/241.8/150
WOE: Whatever I feel like that day....
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Suncharm, the mix you posted is GF, however I think you'll find it pretty high in carbs. I'd recommend simply some half and half or HWC (heavy whipping cream), plus some low carb flour such as almond flour.. Maybe some cheese melted in and butter. I'm glad you are finding the posts helpful!!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #6

Thanks for your suggestions dipgal but I really only use cream of whatever soups in the slow cooker. I forget I'm not on the PG where not everyone is on low carb
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Wheat Belly (Grain Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)
Start Date: March 2012
My Go-To pantry items are almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, butter, a variety of nuts and nut butters, cream cheese, eggs, grated Parmesan cheese and sweeteners such as Swerve, Truvia and liquid Stevia. I also agree with dipgal about using veggie noodles etc as a sub for high carb pasta, etc.

I do practice Low Carb as well as gluten-free, grain-free because many of the alternative gluten-free flours have terrible effects on blood sugar and often lead to weight gain. Improving the worst effects of gluten is a good thing, but gaining weight and becoming pre-diabetic by consuming the high-carb flours like sorghum, tapioca, potato, rice etc, is trading one set of issues for another.
Gretchen Grainfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #8

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
I agree with Gretchen. I recently attended a Gluten Free Expo and a majority of the products were loaded with rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour and even sugar.

Find a few good recipes and learn how to make your own gluten free baked goods with ingredients like coconut flour, coconut oil, almond flour, butter, cream, eggs, and so on. Zucchini and spaghetti squash (a little higher in carbs) are excellent substitutes for pasta.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
I am also a new fan of Maria Emmerich. I made the coconut flour donuts from her website, and that was the first ever coconut flour recipe that I really enjoyed. I have one with a little peanut butter or cream cheese for breakfast, and it fills me up. (I don't have a donut pan, so I cooked them in muffin tins instead.)
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote