Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Celiac / Gluten-Free (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/)
-   -   Since being wheat free (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/celiac-gluten-free/780663-since-being-wheat-free.html)

dewdrop_mealine 08-13-2012 01:24 PM

Since being wheat free

I've been wheat free, don't even do gluten free
wheaty things for about 2 months. It's a crazy
world but I've been doing okay. I gave in last
night and had a piece of 'regular' cheesecake
(as opposed to LC).

In the middle of the night, I awoke with the horrid
cramps in my thighs. I haven't had any since being
wheat free. Hmm . . . I had tried many things to
avoid those. I felt like I was going to die when I first
starting getting them. WOW! Great reason to get off
the wheat and stay off.

My granddaughter noticed the change (clearing) in
my complexion. Digestion is better, mood improved,
have been able to cut back on pain med.

Happy here in UnWheatie Land
:jumpjoy:

~dew

cfine 08-13-2012 02:38 PM

I can SO relate, but I have to actually be gluten free. Joint pain, back pain is gone!!

dewdrop_mealine 08-17-2012 11:49 AM

I have had a very stiff right knee for as long as I can remember back in college yoga, I couldn't achieve the lotus position because my knee wouldn't give. I could easily do the plow. (I'd be afraid to try that now.) Anyway I am 62 yrs old and my knee (after being wheat free now) is getting more flex in it. Amazing! My energy is better, my outlook on life is improved . . . gosh I'd glad I gave up wheat.

dew :sing:

niadan1962 08-18-2012 01:58 PM

It's amazing isn't it?

We really are what we eat. I have given up gluten and most processed food --the fresher I eat, the better I feel.

Christine:D

avid 09-11-2012 07:48 PM

Hi, and congratulations on your results.
I love hearing people tell their stories about how living without wheat is improving their lives.
I have been wheat free for about a week. I lost 5 pounds, and have lost that sluggish feeling. I am 63 and have had intermittant pain in my left knee that recently became more of a daily occurrance. It seems to have eased a little, so I am very encouraged by your experience. Thanks and may you keep improving every day!

dewdrop_mealine 09-11-2012 08:06 PM

Wheat Free

Thanks Avid. I am 62 and a half . . . I'm not far behind you. You are already seeing amazing results. The people in my life are bewildered. I don't care. I'm staying as wheat-free as I can.

BOL ~dew

:sing:

DebM 09-14-2012 08:31 AM

i'm beginning to wonder whether this is my issue (celiac). I have hashimotos, had endometrosis and was diagnosed with mild fibro about 10 yrs ago.

For the past year ? I've had bouts of diaherra, the kind where I barely make it to the restroom. I thought possibly that it was the 800 mg of magnesium that I take for my achey joints and anxiety but I've been on it for years. My skin looks awful and seems to have really gotten worse in the last year. I'm 56 and it's like baggy/saggy and I've tried every cream on the market. I had wondered if I wasn't getting the correct nutrients/vitamins because of the diaherra or just frequent bowel movements. I can go up to 5 times a day.

I had a stool sample done and everything was fine. I'm due for blood work for my thyroid and have asked and haven't gotten a response back yet from my dr about asking to add the testing for celiac to the thyroid blood draw.

One other thing and this might not be related and it's embarassing to even write........sometimes I have some pain in my bottom (like right now). Like the BM would be huge and it's not. I hate to even think about having to have a BM for fear it's going to hurt as bad as it feels. It feels like I'm sitting on a corn cob or something....I do have fibroids and wondered if they were acting up and would cause the pain there. Since I had the negative stool test I'm not thinking anything is wrong like polyps.... Had a colonoscopy at 45 so I know I'm due for one but don't really want to have one...

Can anyone relate?

dewdrop_mealine 09-14-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebM (Post 15944000)
i'm beginning to wonder whether this is my issue (celiac). I have hashimotos, had endometrosis and was diagnosed with mild fibro about 10 yrs ago.

SNIP

Can anyone relate?

I found out by cutting out wheat. I don't want a test. There isn't anything to do for celiac but give up gluten.

~dew

DebM 09-14-2012 11:05 AM

It would just be nice to know if the aches/joint pain and diaherra are all a part of celiac and I could stop guessing after all these years ( i know you can get a false negative too). A positive or negative would tell me alot. Then I could go from there. Figured since I'm getting the thyoid stuff done that now would be a good time! Thanks!

reddarin 09-15-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebM (Post 15944000)
i'm beginning to wonder whether this is my issue (celiac).
Can anyone relate?

To health issues related to eating wheat - yes, I can relate.

I wrote a long-ish post about it in another thread if you are curious:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...l#post15941500

Have you tried going wheat/gluten free?

reddarin 09-15-2012 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine (Post 15944319)
I found out by cutting out wheat. I don't want a test. There isn't anything to do for celiac but give up gluten.

~dew

Same thinking here. When I quit wheat and experienced a dramatic health improvement I was really curious if I had celiac. But, I decided it doesn't really matter since the treatment is pretty much what I'm already committed to doing - wheat free / gluten free (although corn gluten doesn't seem to bother me in small amounts).

scalestepper 09-16-2012 04:53 PM

Wow, I've had many of the same issues, thigh cramps and knee pain. I've been off wheat for almost 6 weeks now and hadn't even thought of how much my thighs didn't hurt anymore at night and my knees are so much better. Thanks for sharing!

dewdrop_mealine 09-17-2012 08:22 AM

I don't need a test . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 15945735)
Same thinking here. When I quit wheat and experienced a dramatic health improvement I was really curious if I had celiac. But, I decided it doesn't really matter since the treatment is pretty much what I'm already committed to doing - wheat free / gluten free (although corn gluten doesn't seem to bother me in small amounts).

Exactly red . . . why go thru pain if I already know what's bothering me. A couple of slips have proven my theory. My PCP agrees. Still loving the wheat free life. I don't need the substitutes. The biggest issues was bread. Ah, lettuce wraps are perfect. I love peanut butter on rice cakes and have been known to put jam on it too so I don't really have a problem with a sandwich anymore. I do sometimes just order a burger and throw the bun away. I don't know how sensitive I am but that doesn't seem to 'get' me.

It's not for everyone but we are alike in many ways and then different too.

~ dew
:cool:

dewdrop_mealine 09-17-2012 08:24 AM

wheat free

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalestepper (Post 15949187)
Wow, I've had many of the same issues, thigh cramps and knee pain. I've been off wheat for almost 6 weeks now and hadn't even thought of how much my thighs didn't hurt anymore at night and my knees are so much better. Thanks for sharing!

thank you for sharing . . . it really helps to know there are others out there

so many have told me they don't want to hear it because they couldn't possibly live w/o bread and noodles. Sigh! I can't live with them . . .

:sing:

reddarin 09-18-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewdrop_mealine (Post 15950233)
thank you for sharing . . . it really helps to know there are others out there

so many have told me they don't want to hear it because they couldn't possibly live w/o bread and noodles. Sigh! I can't live with them . . .

!!!

Several months ago I ran into someone I hadn't seen in about 20 years.

He was looking much worse for the wear. With a big belly. I was looking very trim and slim and healthy.

Of course he asked me how I did it and of course I extolled the virtues of LC and specifically quitting wheat. *And* I told him how fat I was just a few months before bumping into him.

His response? 'Oh! I could never give up bread!'.

:doh:

avid 09-18-2012 08:40 PM

A week has gone by since my last post and the chronic knee pain is gone!
Amazing...two weeks with no wheat and I have lost 7 pounds, eliminated pain, increased my energy and my outlook on life.
I'm loving the low carb wheat free life!!