LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: linstar45
Stats: 203/194/160
WOE: JUDDD and LC
Start Date: June 2012
GF shopping for cooking/baking staples

Hi! I've recently started a low carb lifestyle and, after realizing how much better I felt without breads, pastas, etc. and feeling nauseous, having headaches, and sinus symptoms after consuming those things when I wasn't being so good, I've decided to go to the Dr to get tested for gluten allergies/sensitivities... So, I'm looking into certain things to buy at Trader Joe's (what I can) and ordering whatever else I might need from Netrition... I'm noticing a lot of coconut flour, almond flour, xanthan gum in recipes that intrigue me, but I'm wondering what else I should look into buying to get off to a good start.
My question: For LC/GF cooking and baking, what do you order the most and always try to keep on hand in the way of "specialty" swaps, etc? (I think I'm good with the stuff I can get at the standard grocery store.)

Thanks for your help! This is all new to me, but this site has been nothing short of AWESOME! Thank you all for being so inspirational! :0)
linstar45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I use a lot of coconut flour and usually keep a supply of gluten-free all-purpose flour around. I just don't eat a lot of baked goods anymore in general, though.
MauraV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Wheat Belly (Grain Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)
Start Date: March 2012
My staples are almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil (refined and virgin both), butter, cream cheese, eggs, nuts and nut butters (especially almond and cashew butter), Swerve sweetener is good, liquid Stevia also. I go through more almond flour and virgin coconut oil than anything else "specialty" though.
Good luck and welcome to a much healthier way of eating
Gretchen Grainfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
I agree with Gretchen's list. Coconut flour, almond flour, Swerve, nut butters, cream cheese, butter, heavy cream, eggs, coconut oil.

I would advise staying away from rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, etc. Those items are all gluten free but also very high in carbs. Many gluten free baking mixes are centered around those ingredients.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote