Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: froggygirl
WOE: Low Carb/Low Sugar/Gluten Free/Healthy Eating
Was doing okay but then...

I made some stew with corn starch. Unfortunately for me that corn starch was processed on wheat equipment so within 3 bites I was feeling sick to my stomach (probably would have vomited but my stomach rarely lets me even when I'm sick - I just get super duper queasy and lots of pain), my head was cloudy - it was hard to think/blurred vision/loss of coordination, aching pain - arms and legs, numbness - hands and legs, post nasal drip, stuffy ears and dry eyes.

I stupidly thought that trace amounts would not bother me - was I ever wrong! I am now going to have to seriously get tested for allergies and celiac. I really don't think I am meerly gluten intolerant since I would be able to tolerate some gluten (trace) and not have allergy in addition to gastro symptoms, right?

I was also having issues with Tim Hortons Coffee and Coffee in general. I cannot even drink Tim Hortons without feeling sick. At first I thought it might be my lactose intolerance getting worse so I left the cream out. Even with just sugar I could not drink more than one or two sips. I made coffee at home but even that didn't agree with me. I didn't get sick but my body just told me not to drink it - just smelling coffee is unpleasant now. I drank a few sips with milk and stevia/sugar and I didn't get nausea like with Tim Hortons coffee but I just didn't want to drink anymore...It just didn't taste that good or something. Kind of like when I eat gluten food my stomach just loses appetite and I can't eat much. UGH....

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by froggygirl; 05-25-2012 at 06:09 PM..
froggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: froggygirl
WOE: Low Carb/Low Sugar/Gluten Free/Healthy Eating
Update: Went to my doc with food diary in hand. He thinks I'm celiac and sent me to get tests done. I went today and they took 7-8 tubes of blood from me. Hopefully within a week I will see the results. Wish me luck.

Note: I would have gone earlier but I didn't have any severe allergy symptoms. I started to have days where my throat would almost close so I said "enough" and got the courage to talk to my doc. My advice to anyone who thinks they might be having a problem with wheat/gluten or any food - keep a daily food dairy (you can make one in microsoft excel or open office's free program which is just like it - date/food eaten & when/ symptoms) and take it to your doctor. It helps alot when he/she asks you a ton of stuff that you may not remember.

Last edited by froggygirl; 06-07-2012 at 02:20 PM..
froggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
The celiac test is much more accurate if you have eaten quite a bit of gluten before testing. If it turns out negative, it could be inaccurate.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote