LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/13
new here, and seeking advice

So my family is convoluted to put it best lol. My husband is diabetic, and beginning to believe he has a gluten intolerance. I am hypoglycemic, and while the biopsy and blood tests came back negative on Celiac, my family has a high rate of auto immune, and I get so violently sick whenever I have anything that even touched wheat, that we figure clinically I have Celiac or severe intolerance.

The problem I have run into is most gluten free products are SOOO high in Carbs, but then I gain weight and DHs sugar spikes.

For those of you who have gone GF and LC, how was the transition for you, and what advice can you give people who are starting to make the transition but finding it difficult?

Thanks,

Janna
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
It's a challenge to do low carb and gluten free. I started a thread about it earlier this year, but I kept veering off course.

I ate: meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, dairy, and fats. I also used coconut flour and almond flour when I wanted to make something bread-y.

I am an advocate for skipping as much gluten free junk food as you can, like gluten free pasta, pizza, bread, cookies, etc. The rice flour and potato starch in those products can raise your blood sugar higher than regular flours. That said, I do enjoy an occasional gluten free cupcake...I just don't eaten processed gluten free food daily.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
We are gluten free and low carb around here. We just try and stick with mostly meats, cheeses, eggs, and veggies. We did find a really good gluten free brownie mix(LC) at netrition. We don't eat them everyday. Usually we will pop one out of the freezer once a week.
I think that their are a lot of people with gluten intolerances out there that don't realize it. We feel so much better off of it. We make pizza out of cheese(many good recipes on the site,)we use zucchini in place of pasta for lasagna. There's so many good substitutes besides buying those expensive gluten free substitutes that are high in carbs and not really good for you.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
I have Celiac disease, insulin resistance, and a B cell immune disorder which led to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic asthma. Staying on LC and gluten free eating has helped to stabilize my health, but cooking takes time and planning. I can't eat most gluten free foods because they are so high in carbs. Thanks to the recipes on this site I have a good variety of eating of meals and bread substitutes like flaxseed tortillas and muffins. Most of the time I eat very LC, but after an infusion of insolubleness, the treatment for the immune disorder, I crave a treat. I've worked out a way safe for me by buying a box of gluten free cookies, taking a few for myself and immediately passing the box onto a friend's teenage daughter who also has Celiac's. Both of us get a rare treat.
I wish you health and the peaceful state in your body after giving up gluten.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becominglex
Stats: 148/148/130
WOE: modified anti-candida diet
Start Date: Friday, May 25th, 2012 (back on the horse)
Hi there- my sister is vegan and also has celiac's.

Miso soup with tofu and wakame is good, so are veggies with hummus and guacamole. Add lots of coconut oil to your diet, ginger, garlic, onions and cayenne pepper. I know my sister uses stevia and she drinks a lot of tea!
becominglex is offline   Reply With Quote