Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: froggygirl
WOE: Low Carb/Low Sugar/Gluten Free/Healthy Eating
Could I be gluten intolerant?

About 1 year ago: Ate Eggplant in Eggplant Parm. and had a numbness that overtook my tongue. Stopped eating Eggplant.

More recently (About 5 months ago): Ate raw kiwi and my tongue felt weird and uncomfortable so I decided not to eat that.

Potatoes: They seem to make me gain 1-2 lb overnight even if I eat a small one (only a few ounces) and they make my stomach feel weird. They also constipate me if I eat too many of them.

White flour products (Pasta, bread, etc): Pasta constipates me really bad if I eat it. I also have a terrible feeling in my stomach like I ate rocks or nails and I sometimes get bloated/gassy/weird stomach or intestine movements that I can feel and are uncomfortable. Tried eating a whole wheat tortilla with refried beans, cheese and sour cream and it made me feel terrible so its not a fiber issue like my doc thinks. I do not eat too little or too much fiber.

Milk products: They give me bad gas and stomach problems. Milk and soft cheese is worse than hard cheese. I try to avoid it but I am wondering if its making other things worse.

I am only asking here because my doc seems to just ignore me when I mention my stomach problems. They blow it off like it doesn't matter. I also have B-12 deficency, recently had a break out of Shingles (I'm only 31) - something made my immune system weak and let the Chicken pox resurface; I am still healing from it months after I was cured.- and I have pain all over my body (doc says its nerve pain from the shingles) and numbness in my hands and feet despite the monthly B-12 shots. I take multivitamins and eat very healthy. Any ideas? Just wanted to get some feedback before I go to the doc demanding answers. He seems to think I'm making things up or something which I'm not.

More strangely - have lost 10 lb eating GF. Not sure why exactly but it seems to work. I have been unable to lose weight until I have started eating this way.

Last edited by froggygirl; 05-01-2012 at 08:54 AM..
froggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 252dlp
WOE: Gluten & Dairy Free, Low Fat/Carb/Fiber
Well, one of the symptoms I get is pain in the abdominal area when I eat gluten. I get many of the other symptoms you mentioned as well.

You can always avoid all gluten for a couple of months to see how much of a difference it makes, then eat some again. You may not have Celiac Disease, but you may be intolerant to gluten. In either case, the treatment is the same--gluten free diet.

At the very least your doctor can run some blood tests to check for Celiac, but they aren't necessarily accurate, especially if you haven't been eating gluten. They can also do an upper endoscopy to take biopsies of the small intestine. That's considered the gold standard of testing, but can also be inaccurate if you haven't been eating gluten.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Just curious: do you drink sodas or other products that use "equal"/aspartame? The pain/numbness/etc (MS type symptoms) are very common problems people who get toxicity from aspratame describe.
I don't buy into all the conspiracy theories, but I do believe there are enough reports about people having problems associated with it's use to think you should consider that it may be a problem for you.
Google: sweetpoison aspartame side effects for a list of the possible health problems.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: froggygirl
WOE: Low Carb/Low Sugar/Gluten Free/Healthy Eating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Just curious: do you drink sodas or other products that use "equal"/aspartame? The pain/numbness/etc (MS type symptoms) are very common problems people who get toxicity from aspratame describe.
I don't buy into all the conspiracy theories, but I do believe there are enough reports about people having problems associated with it's use to think you should consider that it may be a problem for you.
Google: sweetpoison aspartame side effects for a list of the possible health problems.
Actually I do not consume any artificial sweeteners at all. Aspartame, etc all give me migraines. Splenda made me extremely dizzy and I felt like I was going to die. It was terrible.

Though it makes me wonder if they're sneaking it into things. The only time I could have consumed any artificial sweeteners by accident is in medicines.

AND I also found out that Malt Syrup is not gluten free. So definitely avoiding Regular Rice Crispies. The Gluten free Rice Crispies seem to be free of any bad things.

Can corn syrup or peanut butter be bad in some way? Sometimes I have issues with eating those two things except in small amounts. Both create stomach/digestive discomfort in large amounts.

Last edited by froggygirl; 05-07-2012 at 09:24 PM..
froggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote