Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Videodrome
Are potatoes part of this?

There have been times where I have felt weird and gassy in my stomach after some meals. Then about a week ago at my parents' place I was served no meat meal because it was a Lent Friday. It was a fish sandwich with bun and large helping of potatoes.

Afterward I felt horribly bloated and said just for that reason alone I want to start getting away from Bread and Starch. I was curious if was the combination of the two that did that, or if some people with Celiac can be sensitive to Starches as well as Gluten products.

I'm not officially diagnosed with Celiac but I did have a lot of stomach problems when I was growing up.
Videodrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Potatoes are members of the nightshade family (which includes tomatoes, bell peppers, etc) and many celiacs have issues with the nightshade family.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Videodrome
Hmm. Tomatoes and Bell Peppers don't seem to give me trouble. Though I normally have one or two slices off tomato max or it's been diced. Same for bell pepper.

On the other hand potato has an unfortunate tendency to be served whole often as a baked potato. I think I can deal with a modest serving of hash browns but the whole baked potato is just to much and feels like it causes a problem.

It may be possible that eating the equivalent amount of a whole bell pepper or tomato could do the same thing but I never have the desire to eat that much of either. Also when I cook I sauté either chopped tomato or bell pepper in a pan for omelets or stir fry so I don't know if that helps to break them down for me before eating them.

But thinking about it more I don't feel right when I try to clean my plate with a whole baked potato on it.
Videodrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Potatoes give me mega gas, bloating and burp them up for the rest of the day. I think it depends on the person. My husband who has more symptoms than I do, also seems to be more sensitive to potatoes.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
It's pretty individual. I have celiac disease but have no problems with the nightshade plants but some people do. I always advocate listening to your body and if a particular food seems to make you feel bad...don't eat it
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Uggla
Stats: 255/173/140-135
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: Aug 2009
I stopped eating them because of this and now only eat sweet potatos, I havent had a problem.
Uggla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I am okay with potatoes but don't generally eat them because I gain weight if I eat too much starchy food.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Wheat free and Nightshade

I've always had awful problems with peppers which makes me crazy because most LC recipes go to peppers. The green ones especially make me crazy.

In the first post she says that she also ate a fish sandwich on a bun. A bun will make me bloat like a balloon and cry 'foul'. Gas X doesn't work until I take about 2, with another 2 about 20 minutes later. Ouch! Not worth it!

I don't have issues with potatoes that I am aware of. Don't eat many on my LC WOE. I'd like to be wheat free a bit longer and see if peppers still cause my pain. (I am a glutton for punishment! ) It would be so much easier to order when I'm dining out if I wasn't so particular about 'everything'.

I try to stay wheat free and avoid the gluten free stuff too. It tastes like cardboard and it's just easier to eat 'real' LC foods. I don't do Franken foods. Aspartame is off my list of acceptable foods too, but I do use a bit of Splenda.

~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote