Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CortneySmith
Stats: 285/283/150
WOE: Atkins induction phase
Start Date: 03/09/2011
Anyone else have trouble with Atkins shakes?

I read the ingredients and it says nothing about wheat or soy. All it lists is milk. But there is something in there that my body does not like. I get the classic feeling in my head and headache right after drinking it. And the racing heart. It does not make me really tired but it could be because the one I keep buying is the coffee version. I really have to find a way to narrow down what it is that is getting to me in these. It seems the more vitamins it lists the worse it effects me. I can't complain too much I guess. I have only been on this diet for about 7 days and only have had two bad reactions. I have even ate some things that I know have small amounts of gluten and only had a small mild reaction. Like chicken nuggets or breaded shrimp. I can have breading on things as long as I do not over do it. I am fine with corn too, which I almost wish I wasn't LOL then I find myself sneaking a late night nacho munch. Beans and rice are good too but I don't love them as much as the other types of grains so I am ok with limited amounts. Well that little question turned into a long rant LOL sorry about that.
CortneySmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I've not tried Atkins shakes but I can't have Muscle Milk or it makes me sick. I usually buy the Costco Premier Protein Shakes.

I have celiac disease, though, so no gluten EVER.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CortneySmith
Stats: 285/283/150
WOE: Atkins induction phase
Start Date: 03/09/2011
well apparently I have been a bit wrong about being able to eat breaded things. MAN I do love chicken nuggets. LOL I guess I was just to used to feeling bloated and retaining water that it was just the norm. Seems that different foods give me different symptoms. Some start right off hard and strong with flu like symptoms, some make me nausea. Some give me an INSTANT headache that turns into what I could best describe as a hangover the next day. I had some chicken nuggets today and now I am puffing up like a balloon and feel SOOO bloated in my belly. This is going to be harder then I thought. I was hoping this beast was going to cut me a little slack. PFFFTTTT. nope.
CortneySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Could it be the sugar alcohol? I get the headache and feel a warming sensation if I ingest sugar alcohols.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/147.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
I can't tolerate the atkin's shakes either. I wish I could...they are so convenient. They make me really sick to my stomach.

I've stopped eating corn because it's high glycemic (will raise blood sugar quickly)...I do hear you on the nachos as corn tortillas and nachos are one of my favorite foods. They don't make me sick, so I was eating a lot of them last fall.

No small amounts of any flour for me. If I accidentally eat it, it can take several days to get even a small amount out of my system. And I am "only" gluten intolerant.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I don't eat anything with any sort of wheat in it. I suspect I am celiac or gluten intolerant. My sister, mom, and grandmother, and great-grandmother were/are too. I won't go get tested, cause I don't want to endure the pain and suffering from eating gluten. It is pretty easy for me to follow as I don't like bread at all and am an avid label reader. (I'm allergic to MSG, tomato, walnut, sunflower, etc) so I just have learned all that I can find about gluten free and am much better. I'd lay off any kind of breading unless you make one that is nut based. My sister is very bad celiac and is doing everything right and keeps learning that she is allergic to more and more stufff - eggs, garlic in addition to the stuff above.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pm79
WOE: Low-Carb - (No Soy, No Wheat)
Start Date: November 2010
Cortney, I have used Atkins shakes and have gotten the shakes from them. Same symptoms, my heart races and I feel funny after drinking them. I don't drink any kind of prepackaged protein shakes anymore, but no loss since they didn't stay with me long anyway. I can only assume it's the chemical makeup that my system doesn't like. I also noticed the more I purge and clean out my system of the processed foods the more things I can no longer tolerate.
Pm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: froggygirl
WOE: Low Carb/Low Sugar/Gluten Free/Healthy Eating
There is gluten free bread crumbs and breading. You can also use Bob's Red Mill GF Pancake Mix and dip them. Try either one of those and make your own gluten free chicken nuggets and shrimp. Just bread and freeze for later if you don't need them all right away.
froggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
For chicken nuggets, I buy my own chicken, cut it up (raw), dip it in egg, and then dip it in my own coating.

Things I've used to "bread" chicken & other foods:
  • powdered parmesean cheese (the kind in the green cardboard package -- NOT the expensive shredded stuff)
  • Almond meal, with a good mix of herbs
  • flax meal, with a good mix of herbs
  • any combo of the above

Gluten-free, still the basic nugget "concept", and not hard to make. Once they're coated, put on a cookie sheet in a 350 oven for about 10 -15 minutes. (Use a digital meat thermometer to make sure they're done.) Then, you can package them up and freeze 'em if you like, to have a quick snack ready to go.

(I started doing this when my kids had back-to-back stuff: From school to gymnastics, from gymnastics to ju-jitsu. I needed some quick PROTEIN in them, so they didn't collapse, and I REALLY didn't want to go to McDonalds in between. I'd grab a frozen bag on the way out, and by the time gymnastics was over, they'd be thawed enough to eat.)

Parmesan, btw, makes the BEST breading... If you serve it to other folks, they'll ask you for your recipe. It's that good. That's why I often add it to my other "breading" mixes.

Realize this has nothing to do with your "main" point in your post, but thought it might be helpful with some of the other stuff you talked about.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
My guess would be the artifical sweetner in it. Plus, it IS a lot of chemicals.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote