Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gingerpants
Stats: 208.2/202.2/148
WOE: VLC with Paleo tendencies
Start Date: Restart 1/5/14
Gave up wheat, foot pain gone within days - Coincidence?

Hey everyone.

I've been dealing with pain in my right foot for months now. It started when I was pregnant and never went away. Right foot, top/lateral pain that started to spread around/up ankle, hurts most after walking barefoot for too long or in flats. I was about to finally make an appointment to have it looked at, but noticed it hasn't hurt for two whole days. I also was having finger joint pain bad enough to take something for it recently.

I haven't had any wheat/gluten in two days. It hurt terribly on Christmas, about the time I was binging on some SF cookies I had bought (bad idea).

Could the ankle/foot pain really be related to gluten? and can it really go away THAT fast when removing it from your diet? What are your experiences with pain and going GF?

I'm on induction now, so hope not having any wheat at all keeps this pain away!
Gingerpants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
Wheat is linked to inflammation and that certainly has an effect on joint pain.
MauraV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraV View Post
Wheat is linked to inflammation and that certainly has an effect on joint pain.
me too!!!!!
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I'm reading the book Wheat Belly, and from what I've read so far, I'd say it's totally possible -- both that wheat gluten is responsible for the joint pain, AND that it could happen so quickly.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 285/185/174
WOE: No wheat, no sugar, and very few other carbs.
Start Date: Aug 2010 (1st 40 lbs=3 mos on WW; the rest on LC)
I used to get a headache every day on the left side of my head, just above the ear. It was a sharp, shooting, intense pain.

I eliminated wheat from my diet after reading "Wheat Belly" in late October. I was in the USA over Christmas, and started eating wheat & other carbs again. Suddenly the headaches came back with a vengeance. I hadn't even realised until then that they had stopped.

I've been off wheat & sugar again since arriving back home in the UK on New Years Eve. No headaches; no aches & pains much at all.

I don't know if it was the wheat, but that's the only change I'd made to my diet for several months. I cut out sugar last summer and was still getting the headaches well until autumn, so I don't think it was that.

FWIW, I also noticed an immediate and dramatic reaction to a bread roll during that trip. It was delicious, but I didn't get halfway through it before I had intense heartburn & reflux (something else that I hadn't had in several weeks) and an all-over-the-head headache. I ate another roll two days later (as one stupidly does) and had the same symptoms.

So no more pain or reflux/heartburn, and the only thing I can attribute it to is wheat.

Last edited by Maine Coons' Staff; 01-12-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Maine Coons' Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Ginger, I had many aches and pains disappear after I'd deleted all the grains from my food plan. Gluten is monstrous.

I'm glad you are doing so well.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
I had foot neuropathy for years. It VANISHED when I stopped the gluten. To this day, I just can't believe it. It was quite annoying/painful at times.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: humptydumpty
Stats: 226/225/fit
WOE: Gluten/wheat free and mostly plant based
Start Date: September 8
I have been gluten free for 2 months now. I saw this thread and realized I no longer have foot pain. Funny, I never even realized it!! I should have it hurt all the time!
humptydumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJLove
Stats: 5'5" 168/168/150
WOE: Low Carb/No Gluten/No Processed
Start Date: March 2012
I have been having a variety of problems, headaches, fatigue, runny nose, stomach upset, heartburn, belly distention, hot/sweat at night, nausea/vomiting at times.
I just found out that I do not have Celiac disease after having my small intestine biopsied.

I am going gluten free to see if I feel better anyway.

My gastroenterologist said "you may have a gluten sensitivity and if you feel better avoiding gluten, then it would make sense for you to continue to avoid it as much as possible."
JJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
I agree.I have been wheat free for 93 days and no more backaches,congestion ,or heartburn!.
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/225/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerpants View Post
Hey everyone.

I've been dealing with pain in my right foot for months now. It started when I was pregnant and never went away. Right foot, top/lateral pain that started to spread around/up ankle, hurts most after walking barefoot for too long or in flats. I was about to finally make an appointment to have it looked at, but noticed it hasn't hurt for two whole days. I also was having finger joint pain bad enough to take something for it recently.

I haven't had any wheat/gluten in two days. It hurt terribly on Christmas, about the time I was binging on some SF cookies I had bought (bad idea).

Could the ankle/foot pain really be related to gluten? and can it really go away THAT fast when removing it from your diet? What are your experiences with pain and going GF?

I'm on induction now, so hope not having any wheat at all keeps this pain away!
Tell me... is this still working for you. I have foot pain and hand pain and need to help it... if possible.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Goober
I have had sinus headaches pretty much all my life. I also have had seasonal allergies really bad. My headaches aren't "regular" migraines (I occasionally get those, so I know the difference, but very seldomly). They are definitely related to sinus inflamation (and maybe other things, but the sinuses are always involved). I've been taking allergy medications of one sort or another year round for about 20 years now. A year ago I had started to have asthmatic reactions (wheezing, coughing) nearly every day, even after allergy season (I frequently had that during bad allergy reactions but now it was happening all the time). I was also starting to have acid reflux more and more often- to the point I was getting it daily as well. I thought I was just getting old a little faster, maybe becasuse I didn't take care of myself as well as I should (I'm 45).

Another thing is my weight had been steadily increasing, until I finally hit a lifetime high of 240. I could tell my body was not reacting to carbs well anymore (I could feel it if I ate too many carbs). So after a bunch of research I went on a low carb diet.

Within 2 days all those symptoms above disappeared. I have not had a bad headache since, and even mild headaches have only been occasional. I went through allergy season this year so far with only mild allergic reactions (still taking daily zyrtec but nothing else).

I don't think the low carb diet itself is responsible for all these sudden improvements. My theory is that I've had gluten intolerance my whole life, and because of the low carb diet I eliminated wheat from my diet. I don't have all the symptoms of celiacs disease, but there was a period about 25 years ago where I did have a bunch of the other celiacs symptoms and the Drs never figured out what was afflicting me.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Yes, amazing, isn't it?

I had already given up sugar but when I gave up all wheat/gluten and dairy... well, the combination seems to have cured most of my aches and pains (even in rainy weather!) including my fibromyalgia pain (obviously a misdiagnosis).

I noticed a shocking (and eye-opening) reduction in pain overnight a few years ago when I stopped buying regular grain-fed beef.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dewdrop_mealine
Stats: 358/176
WOE: Richard K. Bernstein, Type 2
Wheat free helped me!

I have known for some time that wheat makes me dizzy and sometimes absolutely knocks me out. I have to take a nap. I am diabetic but on the LC WOE I am diet controlled (thanks to LC I am off of insulin!) I have been LC for years now, sometimes fall off the wagon.

That usually involves wheat. I can eat potatoes or rice w/o such horrid upset but the wheat does make me ill.

I've never been tested for celiac but I know that I have an intolerance. My son has the same symptoms as I do. (I am 62, he is 43) and because of seeing his reaction, I realized what was going on with me.

I had a terrible accident in 2000. Since being wheat free I have less pain and can do some things. I am hoping it will get better over time. It hasn't been a miracle yet but it has boosted my quality of life. So important for a granny with so many weeds to pull and such an exciting world to explore in retirement.

So I'll do my best to stay wheat free. I'm not going to the gluten free craze. I learned that 'dessert' isn't necessary - I'm just crossing 'bread' and such off my list.

My kids are always inviting me to a popular Italian chain restaurant . I call it the Noodle House (not it's name.) They swear they have other choices - but I go to a steak House if I want a Steak - I don't order chicken there.

I say 'ala carte' please constantly. A burger is okay if I think of the bun as a wrapper and throw it away.

~dew

Buttercup @ 6 yrs
Books by: Richard K. Bernstein M.D.
Diabetes Solution
Diabetes Diet

Publishers: Little & Brown
Dr. Bernstein adventures
dewdrop_mealine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I gave up wheat nearly 4 years ago and a whole host of issues I didn't even imagine we're connected went away. The first was swelling. I thought my feet had grown (at 41 years old ?!), but when I got off the wheat, they shrunk back down. I also had a case of rosacea that nothing but constant antibiotics could touch (didn't clear it up, just kept it at bay). Gone within a few weeks. Near constant stomach pain, nausea, and bloating.... gone.

I didn't really remember, but my mom reminded me that I complained of stomach aches all the time as a kid. She took me to doctor after doctor and they said there was nothing wrong with me. One even said I ate too many pickles. She feels bad now, but I was on my own as an adult for over 20 years before I figured it out
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Most of my joint pain is gone since starting LC. I ate a tiny bit of gluten over a week ago, and I could barely walk my knee pain was so bad. My lower back pain came back. It took a week for my pain to go away. I won't be eating gluten anymore, at least not on purpose.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My son suddenly developed trouble breathing about last Christmas. We went to three doctors who shrugged their shoulders and gave him inhalers.

He went off gluten about a week ago and it cleared up like magic. He has eaten a couple of gluten-containing things (he is 16) and it comes back within a couple of hours.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scarlet_Belle
Stats: 176.4/172.4/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerpants View Post

I've been dealing with pain in my right foot for months now. It started when I was pregnant and never went away. Right foot, top/lateral pain that started to spread around/up ankle, hurts most after walking barefoot for too long or in flats.
No one has mentioned this, could your foot pain or joint pain possibly be GOUT? You may want to look into that, people on this board have said that carbs/sugar/insulin irritate the condition, but meats and vegetables high in uric acid can pose a problem too.
Scarlet_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Milk was causing my inflammation, Cutting out milk has left my hands manageable (but not entirely painfree).

I tried gluten free for a year or more and didn't notice much difference and didn't lost more than a pound or two. It is different for everyone but if you notice a change after giving up a food, good chance you are intolerant to it. Just make sure to give it weeks and weeks off gluten to get a good idea of how your body reacts off of it.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BABYSTEPS
Stats: 240/181/180 male 5'8.5",wife 230/211/155
WOE: low carb/no wheat
Start Date: Jan 2012
My knee pain is gone and I can walk 2 miles easily now.No more wheat for me ever .
BABYSTEPS is offline   Reply With Quote