LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/148.5/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Gluten Free/Low Carb Diet, 2012

I'm starting my new way of eating today, but I'm posting a new year in the header as I think it might catch some people's attention.

I've been wheat free for several months, but my problem is that I introduced a lot of gluten-free, high carb items back into my diet. And I've gone up at least one size because of it. Reading the book "Wheat Belly" really helped me realize where I've gone WAY off track in my eating and why I'm now needing to buy bigger sizes.

Part of eating gluten free processed foods was because I decided that I should stop dieting and just eat whatever I wanted. I won't eat regular cupcakes because I'll get sick...but I have eaten MANY gluten free cupcakes. Those don't make me sick; they just make me fat.

I've also noticed a huge increase in digestive problems since I started eating gluten free processed products, like horrible constipation. My body and my blood sugar don't do well with rice flour, corn flour, tapicoa starch, potato starch and so on.

This year, I'm committed to doing a gluten free LOW CARB diet.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I did this a bit when I was diagnosed with celiac disease as well (though I wasn't low carb at the time).

I had to really look at the bigger picture. Just because a food is gluten-free doesn't mean I should eat it. GF pasta is nice but hugely high carb. I do better on zucchini noodles instead. I feel better, I lose weight, etc.

I've picked up some good GF + LC food bloggers on my GF recipe roundup and am looking for some others, too.

33 lbs down today - 1/3 of the way to my goal of losing 100 lbs by 12/31/2012. All GF and LC.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Maura, I'm so happy to hear from you and to hear of your results.

I have been eating a lot of rice pasta and rice flour in baked goods and gaining weight steadily. I'm good at eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full, but my body doesn't like processed gluten free foods!

I hope you will continue to post your results here. I'd also love to know your favorite blog links and what you enjoy eating on a daily basis.

Rachel
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I actually haven't had pasta in months. Now I just serve things I used to serve on pasta on either steamed veggies, zucchini strips or spaghetti squash instead.

If I make a treat item, I tend to now use more nut flours like almond or coconut (my preference). There are some good recipes out there for treats with nut flours.

I'm lucky because I can have milk, a lot of celiacs cannot. So I do have HWC in my coffee, too.

It's been an interesting journey because my first dietary change was forced on me - when I discovered I had celiac disease, my entire relationship with food changed instantly. Instead of comfort, it was now under suspicion and each encounter was fraught with research. Food was almost an enemy.

When I got a good idea of what was GF, I think I reacted with a bit of a backlash. Almost a "so there" mentality where I tried to shoehorn GF substitutes in where my comfort foods used to be. Because most GF substitutes are very high carb, it only made my carb cravings worse and really didn't help my food relationship at all. It also didn't make me feel less of a social outcast at food-based gatherings.

Finally last July a lightbulb went on. I needed to make a conscious choice about what I was going to do. I suspected (and later proved) I had become insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome. I really don't have doubts that I brought part of that on myself with the high carb GF substitutes. I decided to take myself in hard and go GF+LC.

My staples are meats, cheeses, LC veggies, nuts, one protein shake a day in the morning, homemade yogurt. I am currently on a kick of having salted seasoned seaweed as a snack. Sounds weird but it's vlc and strangely addictive.

Do I miss cupcakes - yes. And I may be able to have one when I get to goal. But right now all my attention is on my goal. When I get there, I may readjust the end goal until I feel and look good. Then I plan to give myself a set-in-stone 5lb window. I'll still be GF+LC for life but it won't have to be quite as low carb. The window will help keep me honest about weight creep.

(Probably more than you ever wanted to know, lol)
Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Maura,
How do you make your protein shake, I can't find any that is GF and LC.. I to have gain weight on GF...I have to get back to LC...( I have no choice on GF...unless I want baaaaaddd pain, and other things..lol). Oh by the way I have your web site in my favorites....
Thanks
Ali
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

The Kirkland Signature ready-to-drink shakes from Costco are GF.

Netrition also sells several varieties of protein powder in their GF section. If I'm making my own shake, I use unsweetened almond milk + a little HWC and the protein powder. I think I have the ISO-100 powder at the moment but I'm going to try a few others, too.

I hear you on the pain. I'm a highly reactive celiac and any amount of contamination makes me start throwing up within 30 min and I'm usually out of commission for about 3 days. A fellow celiac says I should nickname myself Gluten Canary.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Maura,
Thank You, Yes I get sick and am out for a few days (depend on how much I get), and I break out really bad,(bleeding) and that last for weeks...at lease 2 weeks.... So that why I have decided to get serious about this...(not GF...done that..lol) but no grains dairy, sugar.... here praying I can do this...
Thanks again,
Ali
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I'm gluten free and I'm back on low carb so I'm right with ya ! I also tried the "no diets" thing along with JUDDD and I just can't do low calorie with carbs. I can't do LC JUDDD cause I'm not getting enough fats on down days. I can't lose weight that way and a small amount of carbs trigger an all out carb fest! I'm doing good on LC and being G-free has made me feel so much better! We can all support each
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

oh btw, some people who are gluten sensitive are also sensitive to rice and corn, so the rice noodles may be causing more problems than you realize.

I believe I have an insulin resistance along with my gluten sensitivity. I would love to go back to my teen years when I was 115 pounds and had no food sensitivities

Since THAT isn't going to happen, I guess I'm stuck with this lifestyle. I've been G-free for almost 2 years now, but I haven't stuck with LC until recently. 2012 is going to be the year for me to lose. We can do this!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

We can all do it, definitely.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #11

Hi everyone!

I love hearing about your stories and looking forward to being GF and LC with all of you this year. I was talking with my boyfriend about how I am changing to this, and he is willing to do it with me, which is really nice. We usually just hang out on Friday nights, but it will be good to be on the same page when we go out to eat. We were talking about our favorite foods that we can eat, like Indian and Thai (I will skip the rice.)

Last night, we did go out, and the chef at the restaurant came out and told us what was GF...I had a great steak and a variety of vegetables, with a glass of red wine. Totally doable and very good.

If we go out on New Year's Eve (depending on what my daughter wants to do), we will go to a Japanese steakhouse, where I can get salad, seafood, etc. I will skip the rice.

My hardest thing to give up is going to be corn tortillas. I love tacos and tortilla chips. I think I can eventually add those back in, but count the carbs.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 12-29-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #12

Does anyone have any favorite low carb/gluten free cookbooks? I am thinking of ordering the Primal Blueprint cookbook but I'm sure the paleo cookbooks fit into this category as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #13

And Maura, I think the window is a great idea. Unfortunately, I stopped weighing myself and the increased carbs led to slow and steady weight gain. I really wished I'd kept myself more honest by weighing daily.

I need to face the scale. I wouldn't even look when I was at the doctor's office ten days ago. I hit my goal weight in March 2010. Over the past 1.5 years, it's slipped away, a pound here, a pound there.

I'm tired to making goal and then letting it slip away by eating too many carbs.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Hi everyone!

I love hearing about your stories and looking forward to being GF and LC with all of you this year. I was talking with my boyfriend about how I am changing to this, and he is willing to do it with me, which is really nice. We usually just hang out on Friday nights, but it will be good to be on the same page when we go out to eat. We were talking about our favorite foods that we can eat, like Indian and Thai (I will skip the rice.)

Last night, we did go out, and the chef at the restaurant came out and told us what was GF...I had a great steak and a variety of vegetables, with a glass of red wine. Totally doable and very good.

If we go out on New Year's Eve (depending on what my daughter wants to do), we will go to a Japanese steakhouse, where I can get salad, seafood, etc. I will skip the rice.

My hardest thing to give up is going to be corn tortillas. I love tacos and tortilla chips. I think I can eventually add those back in, but count the carbs.
Rachel, that is so great that your BF is doing this diet with you! how supportive he is!!!!!

I love tortilla chips too, so I know what you mean. I'm seriously considering trying to make some cheddar cheese chips. cheese doesn't seem to bother me, but milk does, go figure

steak, salad, and seafood sounds delish

Quote:
Does anyone have any favorite low carb/gluten free cookbooks? I am thinking of ordering the Primal Blueprint cookbook but I'm sure the paleo cookbooks fit into this category as well.
I don't have any cookbooks, but here is a great blog from a friend of mine I met online on an RA board. she has psoriatic arthritis and is controlling it through diet. her whole family is following the diet as one of her daughters also has psoriasis and she is worried she will develop autoimmune arthritis like her.
she really has great recipes for G-free, dairy free foods, but she does not do low carb specifically. here is the link to her site: MAID in Alaska

I also recently found this FB page and you might want to check it out : Until the Thin Lady Sings: Gluten Free Low Carb Recipe Blog | Facebook
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
oh btw, some people who are gluten sensitive are also sensitive to rice and corn, so the rice noodles may be causing more problems than you realize.

I believe I have an insulin resistance along with my gluten sensitivity. I would love to go back to my teen years when I was 115 pounds and had no food sensitivities

Since THAT isn't going to happen, I guess I'm stuck with this lifestyle. I've been G-free for almost 2 years now, but I haven't stuck with LC until recently. 2012 is going to be the year for me to lose. We can do this!

I was wondering about this, seem I have some issue when I eat corn... don't really eat rice so I don't know about that one... I wonder if anyone eles has this?
ali
Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimar57 View Post
I was wondering about this, seem I have some issue when I eat corn... don't really eat rice so I don't know about that one... I wonder if anyone eles has this?
ali
I've read where quite a few people do. Before I was doing LC, I bought some G-free Rice Chex and I swear I felt like I had been glutenized! Some rice noodles I can do okay with and some corn tortillas, but some others I can't. I'm now doing LC so I'm not eating that stuff.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I can eat some corn, sometime... but the more I eat it I get sick, not like gluten but almost as bad. I guess that is a sign for me to get back to LC...
I was also wondering if anyone has problem with maltdextren (sp)? it make my stomach burn and I get a headache. Just wondering....
Still learning....
ali
Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #18

Star, thank you!

I can eat corn, rice, and potatoes without a physical reaction, but the processed form of those items...like rice flour and potato starch...do cause me problems. Since I'm going low carb (my goal is 50g or less a day), I am greatly reducing those items.

Ali, I don't know about maltodextrin, but I think I would stay away from anything that caused me to have a reaction.

I am remembering my low carb techniques as we go out to eat...last night, I subbed a salad for rice and french fries and the day before, I had to remember to ask for my mexican salad without tortilla chips, rice, and beans. Those are all items that I could have (and was!) eating on my GF diet.

I am having to remind my boyfriend that a low carb diet is not the same as a gluten free diet. He sent me a text last night from a restaurant and told me he was ordering the GF penne pasta or GF pizza!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

I know what you mean about G-free not being LC. I have friends who ask me if going G-free would make them lose weight and I told them, nope! Peanut M&M's and Hershey Kisses are G-free
Old 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I have the "Until the Thin Lady Sings" blog in my weekly recipe roundup. I think at least one or two other that are both GF and LC as well.

I'll definitely have to hunt up some more.

I laughed when someone asked me if my GF diet was some magic weight loss diet and I had to tell them it often has the opposite effect - you gain weight.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Maura, you are not kidding I have gain some, and I am trying to lose. It's hard with family because they keep saying but it's gluten free.....
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #22

Magical weight gain diet is right! I was reading in Wheat Belly that flour replacements can raise your blood sugar (and promote fat storage) more than flour itself.

Last night's dinner was great. I had a salad and steak and two glasses of wine. My boyfriend made bacon and eggs this morning, and I had a chicken salad for lunch. So far, so good!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #23

Good morning!

I swear, I am already feeling better. I stayed up late last night (have today off...) and did not have a horrible feeling of exhaustion. We even spent an hour cleaning our livingroom/dining area and taking down the Christmas tree, and I still felt good.

My daughter is 13 and told me she wants to cut down on junk food. We have a goal every month, and this month, the goal is not going out for special treats like cupcakes and frozen yogurt. We were doing that at least once a week, sometimes more.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobbyC
Stats: 236.4/223/199 (First goal 1-derland!)
I am so happy I found this thread! I am just starting to eating gluten free and lowER carb today. I have done Atkin's before, starting and restarting and after about 2 months I give up. So I am taking a different approach. I do not want to eliminate corn, potatoes or fruit yet. BUT, I have to get rid of bread. I am gonna try and stay away from GF sweets such as cupcakes and baked goods.
RobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning!

I swear, I am already feeling better. I stayed up late last night (have today off...) and did not have a horrible feeling of exhaustion. We even spent an hour cleaning our livingroom/dining area and taking down the Christmas tree, and I still felt good.
Great news, Rachel!

After about two weeks of being GF completely, I felt like a new woman, too.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyC View Post
I am so happy I found this thread! I am just starting to eating gluten free and lowER carb today. I have done Atkin's before, starting and restarting and after about 2 months I give up. So I am taking a different approach. I do not want to eliminate corn, potatoes or fruit yet. BUT, I have to get rid of bread. I am gonna try and stay away from GF sweets such as cupcakes and baked goods.
Glad you found us, too!

My personal experience is that getting rid of GF modded foods in favor of naturally GF foods is a great first step. They tend to have the MOST carbs. Then you'll get a clearer idea of what, if any, other foods you may need or want to cut back on.

Be sure to read all labels, gluten hides in the most insidious places!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

Thank you, Maura! I really appreciate your support and insights!

Chipolte is a great gf, lc option! I got their burrito bowl today...no tortilla, no rice, no beans, beef, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, lettuce, and salsa.

Robby, I am aiming for 50-70 carbs per day. That allows me one piece of fruit, half cup of rice or half a potato, a serving of full fat greek yogurt, and a piece or two of dark chocolate. Unlimited veggies, fats, proteins, and nuts in moderation.

My boyfriend sent me a text tonight. He made vodka sauce with gluten free pasta. I don't think he gets it that gluten free pasta is loaded with carbs. I'm not going to harp on him about it or anything because he's really smart, and I already explained what it meant for me to do GF, LC.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Maybe introduce him to the idea of zucchini noodles instead
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
Hi All, I have Celiac disease and am insulin resistant so it is important for me to cook most of my own food. The standard gf products are so high in carbs and loaded with sugar. I bake a lot with flaxseed flour and almond flour. I enjoy shirataki noodles instead of pasta; sliced thin jicama deep fried to use as chips instead of corn or potatoes; mashed turnips or cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Sugar free cheesecake is a favorite. Over the last several years eating the lc/gf program, I've dropped lbs and stabilized my health. Explore the recipe forum it gave me some good ideas.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #30

Hi oceandiva! The author of Wheat Belly suggests baking with flaxseed and almond flour...it's great to have those as options. I know I need to be very careful about overdoing all treats, even if they are gluten free and low carb. Seems like that's always been my downfall!

I re-read the chapter in Wheat Belly last night on how to do the Wheat Belly diet. He says most adults are metabolically messed up from eating so many carbs and suggests that a low carb gluten free diet of between 50-100 carbs should lead to weight loss. I'm planning on staying on the lower end of that for now.

I bought a new set of measuring cups last night to remind myself of how much 1/2 cup is (Wheat Belly recommends no more than 1/2 cup rice, potatoes, beans per meal...that's about 20 carbs...)....and it's not very much!

Brought my breakfast and lunch to work today....back to a regular schedule!