Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
I am losing VERY slowly, some weeks not at all, but that's ok with me. It's a downward trend, and I'm not GAINING.

I think sticking to it for a year is a great idea. I've decided to make this a lifestyle - diets just never worked for me. I agree intuitive eating is worthless (at least for those of us with insulin resistance), unless we combine it with healthy eating.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I'd rather lose slowly and keep it off than to keep tweaking or give up in frustration.

My doctor yesterday reaffirmed that I should keep up with the daily exercise. I've been having problems with nightmares for about a year now, and she's very pro exercise for mental fitness as well as physical fitness. I'm really glad that I finally "gave in" and bought myself an exercise bike. There's no excuse for me not to exercise now!

Having my usual for breakfast and lunch and dinner is Mexican food! YUM!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

We bought a portable elliptical stairstepper from QVC. I'm ashamed to say it's collecting dust! I do walk every day and try to keep active during the day. The key word is "try." I really need to be more active!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #184

Hi everyone!

Went to Macaroni Grill for lunch today with my boss and coworkers. I know it sounds crazy to find a gluten free and low carb meal there, but I had good success. I don't eat gluten free pasta, but they did have it as a choice. I ordered a small caesar salad and the penne rustica, minus the pasta...it was yummy shrimp and chicken in a cream sauce...no pasta needed at all!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Oh my, that sounds so delicious! What a clever idea for ordering! I never would have thought of that. I have a lovely Macaroni Grill near us...will have to try that!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #186

Hello! Typing from my bike...had plans to meet my daughter and her friends for shopping but the trip was slightly delayed...

Went out for wings last night. I checked the menu before we went out and found out that several sauces were gluten free. The food was so yummy...I did a medium sauce, a jalapeno lime sauce, and tried my boyfriend's garlic sauce.

Breakfast was bacon and eggs. And lunch was pistachios and string cheese. My dd and I will pick up some dinner later.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #187

Good morning, all.

My week is progressing nicely. I made a big batch of sausage and egg casserole for breakfast this week and cooked up some roast for my lunches. I like having my breakfast and lunch all neatly lined up in my fridge. Makes it easy to always eat healthy in the mornings.

I do need to cut back a little bit on the chocolate. I've been eating a little too much of it at night. The GL book says that it's okay to have a small handful, after a meal. I've been eating a little bit more of that...and not always after a meal. So, I'm giving myself a new challenge for March--a small handful after dinner and that's it.

Continuing to ride my bike daily, and even though it's the dreaded time of the month, I'm happy to say that I now have a loose pair of pants to go with my loose skirt. I look forward to having an entire closet full of clothes that are too big. The pants aren't too big yet, but my size is definitely changing.

I'm going to be an on-stage hostess for my company's upcoming international convention. It's not until mid April, but I need to start looking for a long black dress now!

Hoping you're all doing well!

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-28-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #188

Good morning! And happy March 1! Happy to say that I've been eating gluten free and lowER carb for two months now. Totally ready to start month 3.

Still exercising every day and haven't skipped a day yet.

I need to make my breakfast and lunches in bigger amounts. I'm about to run out of my prepared food for the week, and I have one more day to go!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #189

Hello friends!

At work and had a few minutes to check in. Made my sausage/egg bake for breakfast this week, and lunch is going to be cottage cheese, an apple, and peanut butter. My snack is two clementines with string cheese and almonds.

I've been fighting off a bad headache for the last couple of days, but I still did ride my exercise bike. Haven't missed a day yet!

Hope everyone has a great week...it's supposed to be 60 here today but we have a winter storm watch for Tuesday night...weird weather! Can't wait for spring!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: mybigbutt
Stats: 224.6/215.8/120
WOE: hcg
Start Date: 8/22/11
Subscribing! Since being diagnosed with Celiac disease, I have been eating way too much processed crap. Need to get a handle on things!
mybigbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #191

Welcome!

I went a little crazy last fall with gluten free processed foods. My boyfriend and I went to a Gluten Free expo and sampled gluten free breads, pastas, pizzas, cupcakes, brownies, cakes, pancakes.....it's so easy to go crazy with all of those items. Plus I found a bakery that makes wonderful gluten free cupcakes that taste like real chocolate cake....well, I had fun eating all that food, but I didn't enjoy the weight gain that went with it.

Had my breakfast and coffee at my desk...it's going to be another wild day at work!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #192

Hello!

Continuing to eat a low glycemic gluten free diet and riding my bike daily.

I don't really have anything new or exciting to report, but I want to keep this thread going!

My new lunch this week has been cottage cheese instead of meat...sometimes I get tired of eating too much meat. I didn't really think the cottage cheese would help me stay full, but I've been surprised.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Hi everyone,
I haven't gotten an hold of my eating yet...and I am getting down, cause I know time is passing by... I have to do this...

Rachel, have you found that coffee hurts your stomach ... I love it but I hurt so bad from it.
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #194

Maizen, I'd like to check it out. Do you know the title? I can see where making the switch to gluten free and low carb at the same time would be a challenge! I think you're smart to at least make your home gluten free...maybe he will start seeing some benefits and make his own decision to stop eating gluten.

Alimar, I'm lucky in that coffee doesn't hurt my stomach. It's on my list of stuff I won't give up. I've been Diet Coke free for about six weeks, and I can live without it...but coffee is just a happy part of my daily routine. If it bothered my stomach, though, it would sadly be out the door.

I don't feel like eating this morning, so I just had a piece of string cheese.

Have a great Friday, all!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/170/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
So glad to find this! My husband was diagnosed as Gluten intolerant about a year and a half ago. He has the opposite of most celiacs, he has extreme weight gain, but gets SO SO sick if he eats anything that even has a pinch of anything glutinous in it. Since we cut out gluten he has lost about 100#, although has probably gained a little bit of it back. He still needs to lose over 100#. I find myself with similar symptoms although I don't get as sick. I am insulin resistant so my Dr does want me on low carb as well.....I'm not always good with the low carb part, but really need to do it. Bread has always made me feel sick, gassy, burping yeast etc. I lost over 65# back in 2004 but have gained almost all of it back. I'm vowing that 2012 is going to be my year! I love the gluten free/low carb recipes I've found so far and am just glad to see there are others who are dealing with it.

Heather
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #196

Heather, welcome! I'm glad your husband is on the right track now...when I was getting sick from eating gluten and didn't know what was wrong with me, I started accepting that it was just something I had to live with it.

It's so freeing to know that we don't have to live with those awful symptoms after all.

There are so many good things that we can eat on a gluten free, low carb diet.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

My husband had no idea, the Dr thinks he has been this way his whole entire life. He is probably morbidly obese, and the Dr thinks that his body reacted to it inflammatory, enlarging cells etc when they didn't know what to do with it. He can't eat even a seasoning that has wheat in it without getting violently ill now. It's very eye opening, to see what all has wheat/gluten in it, I had no idea (such as Cream of Mushroom soup). He is really creative with recipes, but we need to be more low carb for both of us as he is diabetic as well. Definitely lots of yummy things to eat low carb/gluten free. When we were dating way back when I was doing low carb, and he was so so so creative with desserts and things I had no idea I could eat still while on plan.....so hoping we can get back into the grove and both of us can lose the weight we need to.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #198

I was reading an article this weekend that was talking about how successfully making a change in your life doubles when you have someone else supporting you! I hope he decides to go low carb with you...it will probably be the next step in him feeling better.

I picked up a copy of the Blood Sugar Solution this weekend...my boyfriend ordered it. I didn't like it at all...way too restrictive and too much emphasis on supplements. I'm going to stick with eating a low glycemic diet and daily exercise!

Now that I've found something I can live with, I'm keeping it. Today marks week 11 of eating well and week 7 of riding my exercise bike daily.

Nothing too exciting planned for meals today...in my bag, I packed a sausage and egg casserole for breakfast, chili for lunch with an apple and peanut butter for "desert,", and clementines and string cheese for a snack. Dinner will be barbeque chicken and roasted asparagus, with a piece or two of dark chocolate for desert.

Have a great GF, LC week everyone!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 43
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 08
Hello

Mind if I join in here? I've been trying to eat much less gluten lately and allow myself more carbs. Rachel I really like reading your food choices, they are great!!

I have the Udi's bread in the freezer (white and cinnamon raisin) which I allow myself to have a couple times a week. Also, I've been looking at the recipes on Elena's pantry site (all GF). I made her coconut bars and they are pretty good, and filling. I can't believe how expensive the store-bought GF goodies and bake mixes are. Like 3xs price of regular flour products So, I'm going to make my own! I am stocked up on almond meal, coconut flour, various LC sweeteners too.

My menu for today:
A.M.: coffee w/heavy cream and stevia
Lunch: shredded chicken (from Trader Joes- marinated with fajita seasoning) with sour cream and guac, cottage cheese, peanuts, (2 leftover Girl Scout cookies- oops)
Snack: roll ups with roast beef, yellow bell pepper and cream cheese, small apple w/almond butter

Dinner: bacon and swiss/gruyere quiche, green salad
Dessert: coconut bar

Great job on 11 weeks of GF eating!!!!

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #200

Hi Sally!

Good to see you again! I like Elana's pantry...I made her paleo breakfast bread this weekend! Surprising that you can make a "bread" with no flour...just almond butter, eggs, cinnamon, honey, stevia, and baking powder. I was surprised by how much I liked the texture! I am going to check out her coconut bars.

The weather is so beautiful here today. My daughter asked to go for a walk after dinner, so we went out for about twenty minutes. I'm writing this from my exercise bike, so I'll get about an hour all total today.

It's a good night...I am stocked up on cold club soda and just got a new shipment of bold k-cups. After I ride my bike, I'm going to have a club soda, then try a new decaf flavor and eat a piece of dark chocolate. YUM.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-12-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Rachel,

I appreciate the recommendation on the paleo bread. She uses a lot of almond butter in her recipes. I have some at home but need to get more so I can try that one!

Do you have a Keurig? I thought about getting one, but I get free Starbucks brew at work, and on the weekend my cuisinart coffeemaker does a pretty good job... Sometimes I love one cup of decaf after dinner and it's a waste to make a pot of coffee for that.

Lunch was leftover chicken with sc, guac, cheddar and tomatoes, and quiche.
Snack: 1/2 large apple and coconut bar
Dinner: will be pork fried rice and salad

I awoke to snow this morning, luckily it melted. Spring is a week away, hurry please!

Take care,
Sally
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #202

Hi Sally,

Yes, I bought myself a Mini Plus for Christmas. I use it daily! I love being able to make one cup before I go to work and have a cup at night. So convenient, and it's not messy! I like the extra bold flavors the best.

I had a weird eating day. I wasn't hungry at lunch, so I skipped my chili and had an apple, peanut butter, and a string cheese at 3. Then I stopped to pick up a couple of things for my daughter at Target and wound up eating tortilla chips. NOT on my plan. Luckily I stopped myself halfway through the bag.

I'm riding my exercise bike as I type this!!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #203

Good morning!

Hope everyone is getting ready to head into a great gluten free weekend....I wondered if anyone else has come up with some meals that seem especially satisfying? I'm surprised, but a new favorite meal is cottage cheese, an apple, and peanut butter. It really fills me up.

I bought little containers at the dollar store to put my peanut butter in...I fill them all up on Sunday night so they are ready to go for the week. Then I'm just ready to throw everything in my bag when I get ready for work in the mornings.

Company lunch today...I know they wanted to bring in Irish food for St. Patrick's Day. I just hope there's something low carb and gluten free on the menu. I kind of doubt that there will be, so I brought extra cottage cheese, fruit, and nuts to tide me over if needed.

Went for a walk with my daughter yesterday AND rode my exercise bike.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

I too prepare my lunches/quick snacks a few days in advance. I love cottage cheese, but am not a huge peanut butter fan...it's a very infrequent item I eat. My husband is back east and he says it is way more gluten free friendly out there. Grocery stores have huge aisles of stuff, and lots of restaurants have menus with a lot of gluten free items on there.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #205

Good Monday morning!

Heather, my boyfriend travels all the time for work, and he's always telling me about the GF choices on the menus back east!

In my bag this week, I've got ham and eggs, greek yogurt, almonds and walnuts, an apple, and peanut butter. I also made some taco salad!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Hi Rachel and Heather,

I took a sick day due to getting over a mild cold. Feeling much better tonight!

Unfortunately, I consumed gluten- Papa Murphy pizza last night and lunch today. Usually when i have their pizza, it's the super-duper thin "Delite" crust so not many carbs, but we had the regular crust. Oh well, it was delish! Now I'm back... dinner tonight was slow cooked pulled pork w/homemade BBQ sauce, and 'like twice-baked potato' with cauliflower. I made a batch of LC chocolate chip cookie bars and cut them into individual portions. Tonight, I'm making a cookie sundae... after I have my glass of pink moscato wine! DH is out of town this week so I'm treating myself well!

Tomorrow's lunch will be leftover pork and cauli, and apple with LC yogurt.

I need to get more of those small plastic containers. Like your idea of portioning out the PB. I am really loving almond butter now, with my apple or topping some dark SF chocolate. I also need to get to Trader Joes or costco to get more almond butter so I can try Elana's pantry recipes (like the paleo bread Rachel mentioned).

Hope everyone has a healthy week!

Sally
Old 03-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 252dlp
WOE: Gluten & Dairy Free, Low Fat/Carb/Fiber
Hello everyone...I haven't posted on this forum for many years now, but I used to be a regular back in the day. I found out in 2005 that I have a dairy allergy and gluten intolerance. I also have a stomach condition called gastroparesis, which makes eating fat/fiber tricky. In addition to all that, I really need to watch my sugar/starch intake for yet another medical issue, but also because almost all the women in my family are currently either diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I stumbled across this thread after having searched for a low-carb gluten free tortilla recipe. Found the recipe, realized it was from this site and then found this thread.

I successfully lost a lot of weight with low-carb and kept it off for nearly 5 years, then the medical issues started piling up, lol. (I tend to stress eat) When I went gluten free, I went crazy on the gluten free products even though before that I was low-carb.

My struggle now will be to get past my current HUGE addiction to sugar/starch.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by 252dlp View Post
When I went gluten free, I went crazy on the gluten free products even though before that I was low-carb.

My struggle now will be to get past my current HUGE addiction to sugar/starch.
This is sooooooo me......
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #209

Hello all!

Hope you are doing well...I wish I had something interesting to post, but I'm pretty much in a good lower carb, gluten free groove.

It was a challenge to give up the gluten free products, especially the cupcakes made with gf flour and real sugar. Those were SO GOOD. And made me gain so fast. I'm glad I've given them up...I think it helps that I do have some dark chocolate daily.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 03-23-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #210

Hello all!

Making chili for dinner...I'm glad I added black beans back in. Gives me more variety.

My friend at work gave me a recipe for making shredded chicken taco meat. She told me to put chicken breasts in a crockpot with seasoning, an onion (sliced in half) and a head of garlic. Cook on high for 4 hours. The meat is so flavorful!

I am going to mix the meat with salsa and black beans and take it for lunch on Thursday. Out of town for the next two days, so I'll be eating out.

I've decided that my big project for May will be giving up caffeine. I don't want to do it until after our convention in April.

Oh, and I think I found a dress to wear on stage at convention. One of the girls I work with brought it in. It's a black velvet top with a shimmery silver skirt, and it's so beautiful...and it's a size 6. It's a little tight in the top, but we're going to adjust it to make it more comfortable. I'm so happy she had a dress as I don't want to pay a lot of money for something I'll wear just once. Have a couple more friends sending me dresses to try on, so we'll see which one will work the best!!