Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Ok, I just tried gf pizza crust ... won't do that again.... just another reason to go clean.....
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Ali, I agree...some GF food is totally gross...

I had a good eating weekend. I am adding more variety back into my diet this week, a serving of fruits, a small amount of dairy and nuts. I'll see if it makes my weight go up...I hope not because I need a diet that's sustainable and I was really ready to binge after my week of mostly meat and veggies.

Breakfast this week: greek yogurt, walnuts
lunch: quiche, salad with olive oil and lemon dressing, small serving of grapes
dinners: steak and asparagus, eggplant parmesan, lemon chicken, beanless chili, leftover quiche, and out to dinner on Friday

Have a great gluten free, low carb week!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Misha962
Stats: 164/158.8/145
WOE: PP/Atkins blend/Gluten-Free
Start Date: Over and over
Whew... finally back on the LCGF wagon! Two days of clean eating and I've lost 2 1/2 lbs!

What are people's opinions about carrots? LC friendly or not? I made a yummy pot-au-feu with carrots and some parsnips in it on Saturday night... I counted it as a LCGF meal, but was it really?

Rachel -- you are doing so well! I must take a page out of your planning book -- that's the key, isn't it?

And Alimar -- was it gummy? I hate that gummy texture of some LC stuff. I like Glutino crackers and Marys Gone Crackers crackers because they aren't gummy. I've yet to find a bread that was really a good replacement.
Misha962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #154

Hi Misha,

Yes, I've found that I need to plan...saves me money, time, and keeps me eating healthy foods that taste good!

I eat carrots. I know that a strict lowcarber would say no, but they haven't knocked me out of ketosis, so I think they are fine. My new favorite is roasted petite carrots. YUM.

I didn't get a new low on the scale today, but I figure my weight loss is a little up, a little down, a little up, a little down, etc. Still riding my exercise bike daily, and I played a sweaty round of "Just Dance 3" on the Wii with my daughter for a couple of hours on Saturday. I'm counting that as my "play"

Have a great Monday, everyone!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Misha,

yea, it was gummy,tastless and thick...and it sticked to my pizza stone. I had to use a knife to get it off.
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #156

Well, the yogurt is not working out for me. I eat it and two hours later, I'm starving. That's even with adding some walnuts into it. It felt weird eating a hamburger for breakfast all last week, but at least it kept me full for a few hours.

I wound up eating half my lunch at 11 and half at 1. I'm hoping it will hold me until I leave work in three hours.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Just thought I'd jump in here. I've been gluten free on and off (mostly on) for several years now. I found out by accident I couldn't tolerate gluten when I tried a low carb diet. After a few weeks all arthritic symptoms were gone. Now if I deviate and eat gluten, I really feel it. I had chinese food a few weeks ago, relatively low glycemic (we have a place here where you can substitute stir fried veg for rice), but oh! that soy sauce (gluten) really did me in.

I've read Wheat Belly, and although I was impressed with his history of what we've done to wheat, I'm just not impressed with his diet. I follow Dr. Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet after years of following Weight Watchers type diets. They just don't work for me anymore.

I'm glad I've found a thread where others eat gluten free as well. Avoiding gluten has made a world of difference in my health.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

P.S. Re the carrots question. On my plan carrots are definitely allowed. They have a very low glycemic load, and I can eat carrots without any problems. I know some plans don't allow them. When I was on South Beach we couldn't eat them on Phase 1. The author of the glycemic load diet, Dr. Thompson, explained that although the glycemic index of carrots is high, when you factor in carbs and serving size, the glycemic load is very low. You'd have to eat a LOT of them to affect your blood sugar. But I realize if you're on the carb counting type of diet you probably need to limit them.

I love the raw baby carrots, so I'm glad I can eat them!

Last edited by putthekettleon; 02-14-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #159

Hi Kettle,

I'm glad to see you posting here with us. I used to follow the Glycemic Load Diet. I'm going to look it up again. I know I enjoyed it, but I don't remember if I lost any weight on it. Thanks for the reminder--it's a good plan!

I've been following a more primal approach: meats, veggies, nuts, healthy oils, fruits (limited), dairy (limited)...wheat belly made me realize that all the gluten free products I was eating...made of rice flour and so forth...were triggering the same kind of insulin response that I'd get from a regular flour/starch.

I wound up starving at 3:30, so I made a cup of green tea and stirred in a tbsp of coconut oil (happened to have it here at work.) Well, it worked for almost an hour. I am SO HUNGRY today. I can't wait to go home and eat an early dinner.

I love carrots, too.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I don't eat carrots but only because I hate them

Tonight we had bacon, coconut flour waffles and strawberries with a couple of eggs each. Was yummy!
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #161

Okay, I reviewed the Glycemic Load book last night. I think I messed it up last time because I didn't understand the importance of the exercise component and because I was eating chocolate whenever I wanted it.

It's a really good plan, with lots of variety. I'm already doing the exercise part this time (he said if you work a sedentary job, you should really be exercising--just walking or riding an exercise bike like I do--for 20-40 minutes, almost every day), and he's very realistic about the weight loss portion...he said it was great to lose 4 pounds a month.

I am going to adapt some of his principles into my GF, lowER carb plan.

Happy Wednesday, all!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #162

Maura, that sounds really good. I was always frustrated with coconut flour until I realized that it absorbs a ton of liquid. Now I understand that I have to use enough liquid for it to work!

Did you use the recipe posted in the thread in this forum?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Did you use the recipe posted in the thread in this forum?
Yes - it made 2.5 waffles in my belgian waffle iron. Yummm.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Hi Rachel and everyone! Rachel, I have all of Dr. Rob's books on glycemic load, and I have on order his newest books from Rodale Press, The Sugar Blockers Diet and cookbook. It's an updated version of his Glycemic Load Diet.

I wrote to him asking what updates there are in his newer book (I got his email off his website), and he wrote back saying there is new information in the book about how to follow the plan. I like that he keeps updating his plan with each new book, keeping the information current.

Your green tea with coconut oil sounds good! Does it really keep you full for a while? I am using psyllium with water/diet juice to help fill me up. It really does act like an appetite suppresant for me and ahem...keeps me moving! I am always looking for food combinations to keep the hunger away. Cutting carbs has definitely helped in that area.

I'm really glad there's a thread for those of us not eating gluten. Every time I am tempted, I just think of how awful I feel after I eat anything with gluten. It is such a blessing to have found that all that was wrong with me was a gluten intolerance.

I really love eating this way.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

P.S. I reread your post and I definitely agree - I can't even eat gluten free oats or quinoa, brown rice flour, etc. I start getting the old symptoms. Things like flax and chia don't bother me at all, so I've created a lot of low carb recipes (like the minute muffins on the recipe forum) as my bread substitutes.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #166

Kettle, will you let me know what he says (if anything) about agave nectar? I've heard that it's high glycemic and that it's low glycemic. I have a book on cooking with almond flour and the author uses this as her preferred sweetener. I would love to try her recipes as written, but I don't want a glucose shock

The green tea with coconut oil kept me full for about 45 minutes, lol. I need to keep working on finding the right balance of food that keeps me satisfied at work. I get tired of eating too much meat, but it does fill me up.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-15-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

I don't know the particular author's view on agave nectar but I threw all mine out. It's basically a high fructose syrup, like HFCS, and very very hard on the liver. It gives me horrible cravings for more of it, too.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to check the books to see if its mentioned. Like Maura, I heard negative things about it too. I'll post again later.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #169

It's a confusing sweetener because I've read both good and horrible things about it. I'd love to have a definitive source, like Dr. T., say something about it.

I'm still in ketosis, even with adding yogurt and grapes back into my diet. I'm surprised as I was sure the grapes would knock me right out.

I am fighting off a cold, ugh.

Breakfast was a piece of sausage/egg quiche, with a coconut flour piece of "bread" on the side. This breakfast filled me up--let's see how long it lasts.

Here's the "bread" recipe I've been playing around with:

4 eggs
4 TBSP butter
1/2 cup of shredded cheese
1/4 cup of coconut flour
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of baking powder

Beat the eggs and melted butter. Stir in the coconut flour and the cheese. Pour into a baking pan (I used a pie plate) and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

I got the idea for this from the Healthy Indulgences blog and modified it just a little. She's got some great looking recipes with coconut flour.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Oh that "bread" recipe sounds wonderful. I have all the ingredients, and I can't wait to make it. Thank you!

I can't find anything about agave syrup in his books. I haven't received his newer, updated books yet, so maybe he'll mention it.

I did research it on the net; I too am finding a lot of conflicting info about it. Most of what I'm reading is saying it's not as great as its advertised to be- that in small amounts like a teaspoon or so, it's not harmful, but that's the same thing Dr. Rob says about sugar, that a teaspoon in your coffee won't hurt you, but a lot more will!

Personally, I never bought into it. I do use sucralose sweeteners and stevia. I use some of the sugar alcohol-based sweeteners like Diabetisweet and Xylitol. I really like Erithrytol. It's a very low calorie sugar alcohol that doesn't upset my tummy.

Hopefully, agave nectar will be mentioned in the new book, but I have a feeling it won't be promoted that much.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

...darn, I'm all out of the butter! Oh well, tomorrow I bake it for sure. I'm always on the hunt for these type of recipes.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #172

I think I'll just stay away from it. I really don't need a reason to bake sweets! I think I am going to start adding a piece of dark chocolate after dinner back into my eating plan--that used to always satisfy me! And it ultimately saves me money and calories! It's cheaper to buy a dark chocolate bar than to experiment with gluten free cupcakes...I need to save stuff like gf deserts for special occasions, anyway.

I *do* like to have some kind of bread-like substance available to me, and the coconut flour is working for me now! I like that "bread" recipe because it's not too eggy...I think the cheese is the secret.

Lunch was quiche, plain yogurt with walnuts. I have grapes and nuts ready for a snack later this afternoon if I get hungry.

Back to work!

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-16-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

I had a small apple, sliced and spread with peanut butter, and black coffee for a snack. I think that will hold me over until dinner. We're eating out at Wahoo Taco Fish, a restaurant chain out here on the west coast. Their salads are always safe - just greens, cheese, your choice of protein (fish or pork or chicken) and salsa.

I agree that a piece of dark chocolate is perfect after a meal and a whole lot easier than baking cupcakes, etc.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #174

Hi all,

My daughter is sick, so we're staying home tonight. I've been hungry for salmon all day long, so I stopped and got myself some for dinner.

I've noticed something interesting...the only food that truly fills me up is meat and vegetables. I am going to make sure my meals are centered around those items next week and then add stuff like fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc. to make the meals more varied. It's kind of the best of both worlds!!

I do love apples with peanut butter! That would be a great desert after lunch next week.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #175

Hello! Under a winter storm watch today. but it looks like the skies are clearing. My poor daughter is so congested and tired. I hope she'll start feeling better today.

Here's what I made for breakfast. I've always loved breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches, and this was somewhere in between.

First, I made a coconut flour pancake:
2 eggs
2 TBSP melted butter
1 TBSP water
1 TBSP coconut flour

Mixed it all together really well and poured it in a big pan coated with a little bit of coconut oil After it was cooked, I cut it into two pieces and used one piece as the base of my breakfast. I sprinkled cheese onto the pancake and then added scrambled eggs with ham on top it. The cheese kind of held it all together, and I ate it with a fork and saved the other "pancake" for later.

The pancakes weren't as thin as I would have liked to use them as wraps, which is why I just used one as a "base" of my breakfast.

Anyway, it was yummy!

Hope everyone is having a great GF, low carb weekend!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Rachel, you are really creative with your recipes. The "bread" is a great recipe...now I'll have to try the pancakes!

Great quote by Dr. Thompson! I am rereading his first book (I have all 6, can you believe it?)...Every time I read something I see something I missed before. This is truly the first eating plan I can really stick to. Weight loss is slow, but I don't mind. As long as I remember to eat when hungry and stop before I'm stuffed I'm ok. It's the overeating that always does me in! Because of that, I'm switching to glucomannan instead of the psyllium fiber I was taking. I was reading that Dr. Oz is a great fan of glucomannan/pgx fiber for weight loss, and his wife (a skinny vegetarian!) takes it every day. I've been using glucomannan on and off for a while, but that really sold me to take it 3x a day, every day.

Have a great day everyone! It's chilly here and my baby (part dachshund, part chihuahua) is burrowed under a bunch of blankets.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #177

Good morning!

Kettle, it's cold here too. Winter decided to put in an appearance over the weekend! I can just imagine how cute your baby is all snuggled in the blankets!

I'm good with portion sizes, which makes the glycemic load concept even more of an eye opener to me. I went through several months of trying to be an intuitive eater, and I got pretty good at it. Unfortunately, my first choice for what I want to eat is always going to be the high glycemic carbs and eating the gluten free versions of those items helped me gradually gain weight.

So I'm not able to maintain or lose weight by just eating whatever I want when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full....I also need to make sure that my foods are low glycemic.

I'm still in trace ketosis--decided to go ahead and use my ketostix since I bought them. This is with adding dairy, fruit, and dark chocolate back into my diet!

The supplements I'm taking: fish oil (good for inflammation, heart, depression, and many other things!), D3 (I'm very low in it...my doctor advised this one), and 5-htp, for it's mood, weight loss (?), and insomnia benefits. Just started the 5 htp and will use the whole bottle before I decide if I like it or not.

Have a good day! I'm only working a half day...going shopping with my daughter this afternoon.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better. Have fun shopping. Re intuitive eating, do you have the book by the same title? I am doing I Can Make You Thin by Paul McKenna (gosh I wish he would rename it, but what can I say.) It is helping me greatly. I ordered his 3 month journal from amazon u.k. because they just don't sell it here in amazon u.s.

I hear you about not just depending on hungry/full signals. That's the only guideline I ignore - eating whatever you want. But the I Can Make You Thin principles combined with low glycemic eating is just wonderful. I'm hoping the fiber I started taking will also give an extra boost. We'll see. But I'm not depending on it; it's just something extra.

Have a great day!

Last edited by putthekettleon; 02-20-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #179

I read the Intuitive Eating book years ago...I was convinced the approach was exactly what I needed to maintain my weight without the dieting obsession! And I got pretty good at knowing when I need to eat and stopping when full...but I never lost or maintained by weight by doing so with ALL foods. I just have to remember that *my body* doesn't process starch (gluten-full or gluten-free) and large amounts of sugar very well.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-20-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #180

Good morning!

My scale continues to stick, but I've decided to just stay on my plan and see what happens. I've decided to challenge myself to stick with this program (low glycemic diet and exercise) for a year and then see what I think.

Not much new to report--enjoyed a good breakfast of quiche and a slice of coconut bread! I baked it in a loaf pan last night, and it came out kind of cute.

I've now had my exercise desk for about a month, and I'm happy to say that I've ridden it every single day.