Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Good morning! I'm loving my Fit Desk bike. My goal is 20 miles a day, which currently takes me about 45 minutes. We put Netflix on last night, and I was done before I knew it.

Scale down to 150.2 this morning, so maybe I'll get my dream of being in the 148 range by Saturday...depends on how much water I continue to retain. I would at least love to hit "new territory" range, which would be anything below 149.8.

Another book recommendation from me! The book is called Spark, and it's about all of the good things that consistent, steady cardio can do for you. It helps me to remember that exercise is not just about losing weight, but it's also about putting me in a better mood. Lots of good studies on how exercise is effective against anxiety, depression, stress, and even attention deficit disorder. And how it can help women better deal with our lifetime of hormonal changes, including menopause.

Have a great day my friends. I've got eggs and turkey for breakfast, hamburgers and tomatoes for lunch, and beanless chili planned for dinner. For snacks, if needed, I have string cheese and a protein shake.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I thought Wheat Belly was a pretty easy read. I did slow down a few times when he got into some of the chemical stuff and even read a few chapters to better understand it since I really want to know how our digestive system works but all in all it's pretty straightforward.

I am going wheat free but I may not adhere strictly to all his recommendations. I will still use bacon, pepperoni, and hot dogs but it will only be on occasion, not an everyday thing or even an every week thing. I will try to reduce cooking temps but I will still fry some things. These recommendations are not strictly related to gluten-sensitivities but from an aging standpoint and exposure to exogenous AGEs (advanced glycation end products).
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #123

Pam, he convinced me that I needed to be both gluten free and low carb, but I'm not giving up bacon! Or msg-free sausage.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #124

Good morning!

Rode about 25 miles on my exercise bike yesterday. Yay! In deep ketosis, not overeating, TOM is here, and my scale is not where I desire it to be...but that's okay. My behaviors are GREAT, and the scale will eventually go down.

Not much to report about today, but I did read an interesting article yesterday that said if you have a sedentary job that you should make sure to at least stand up once an hour, plus work in 30 minutes of exercise (which doesn't even have to be all at one time) to increase your health. I will try and find the link.

Anyway, I'm going to put a timer or something on my computer to remind me to stand up every hour.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #125
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stirfried
Great thread all & thanks for the welcome! (Interesting -- my daughter was GF from around 12 yrs old to 17-18 due to joint swelling & digestive issues. She was never formally diagnoseed celiac because she was strict gluten-free at time of her endoscopy. She is now 19 & can tolerate wheat BUT whenever she needs help healing (sore throat, new earpiercing, dental work, etc) she choses to eat GF for healing & has Excellent outcome from it)! I am so trying to stay GF & low carb! Glad you're all here & sharing! Thank you !
stirfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #126

SF, that's great about your daughter.

I have been enjoying the yummiest foods all weekend...and all on plan. TOM continues to be a raging mess, but I am hanging in there.

Here are some of the yummy meals I have enjoyed:

steak fajitas with no tortilla
red wine
coffee with heavy cream
salad with salmon/snow peas/jicama/and a yummy low carb dressing

I went shopping at the butcher again today and got stocked up on local, free range products like: eggs, bacon, pork chops, pot roast, chicken. All for $30.

And I picked up some veggies at Whole Foods: spaghetti sauce, eggplant, long skinny carrots, red peppers, and salad mix. Plus a low carb, gluten free vodka sauce, fresh made guac, fresh made salsa and some lemons and lime, and organic heavy cream. All for $35.

Now I just need to pick up stuff for my daughter's breakfasts and lunches tomorrow. We'll be eating so well this week.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 01-28-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #127

Good morning!

I've been GF/LC for almost a month now! Good...I've lost 6 pounds and my energy levels are good. Got my FitDesk this week and have been using it faithfully. My coat fits better and so do my tops. Still dealing with TOM, so I'm not in new territory yet, but maybe I will be in a couple of days.

I am doing to do the Primal Blueprint 21 Day challenge starting Feb 1. The only food I need to give up is diet soda because everything else is dialed in, and his food chart is more liberal than I've been eating.

I'm going to do the daily challenges in the book. The author says you can lose 3-7 pounds doing the challenge, and I'd be satisfied with either.

BTW, primal is gf and lc, so it's another great source for recipes!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #128

Busy day...rode my bike for an hour+, then made bacon and eggs for breakfast and spend the day driving my daughter and her friends around to get stuff for her school store. Got home at 6:15 and roasted carrots and kale to have with potroast. YUM.

I ate too much tonite...I am stuffed.

How was everyone's GF/LC weekend?

Decided to go ahead and start my no diet soda challenge today.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Misha962
Stats: 164/158.8/145
WOE: PP/Atkins blend/Gluten-Free
Start Date: Over and over
Good morning everyone! Back last night from six days in Key West, which included several of the Key West Food and Wine Festival events. Needless to say, I ate lot of what I wasn't supposed to, but I'm home and it's back on the wagon! It was delightful to get away and be in the sun for a few days.

Actually, I did pretty well during the trip until I chose not to.... I paid the price yesterday, but hopefully I'll be on the mend soon!

Rachel -- is the 21 day challenge on line or is it a book?
Misha962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #130

Hi Misha! Welcome back!

The 21 day challenge is his new book. It's a lot of the same information from his first book and his website, but it's creatively repackaged into a 21 day challenge.

However, there might be a challenge thread over on Mark's Daily Apple.

TOM continues to be beastly. UGH. Still no new weight territory, but I'm in ketosis, worked out for an hour plus yesterday, and my pants are a little loose this morning.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #131
Junior LCF Member

Who knew that air travel could result in so much water retention! My wedding ring has gone from 'barely able to be taken off" to "almost falling off" in only 24 hours! I'm so curious to see how much water weight I've lost in the morning!

I'm back to GF/LC. It wasn't hard to do, especially when I can make my own breakfasts! Still... I miss the lovely time I had in Key West!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
was starving and went out for a bacon, egg and cheese FatBurger. YUMMM.

Misha - air travel makes me swell up for DAYS.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #133
Junior LCF Member

Maura -- it was almost five lbs of water! OMG... how uncomfortable that was! I feel so much better today... well, almost. I caved and had a pastry at breakfast on Sunday. It usually takes three days for the gluten to stop hurting me. Tomorrow should be better.

I am in trace ketosis again, so that helps. Now its time to get really serious and get to my next goal weight. Vacation done and nothing but work work work in sight! I have to work on having stuff for lunches so I don't eat something bad! I'm ready to be thinner and healthier again.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

ugh - hope you stop hurting.

I can't imagine willingly eating something with gluten again. I start violently throwing up within 10-15 minutes and it doesn't stop for several days. Talk about negative reinforcement....

I'm trying to be better today - it's a stressful time and work and my DH is sick on top of it - so I'm not getting very much sleep and I'm crabby....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #135

Sounds like work is stressful for all of us. I had 8 meetings today and drafted a brochure, too. We are getting ready for our big convention, and I almost had a nervous breakdown in the bathroom today. I just made myself stand in the stall and take deep breaths.

I rode my bike for another hour. It's good stress relief, even though my weight isn't moving. Am going to wait out this never ending TOM before I make any adjustments...really, the only thing left to do is reduce dairy.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #136

Good morning!

Today starts my Primal Blueprint challenge. TOM is still here, and I'm hanging in at 150.3, so I'm counting a 6 pound loss for January and hoping for a 3 pound loss for February.

My challenge "tasks" for the day:

I'm following the Primal Blueprint challenge for the next 21 days and hoping for a three pound loss. My challenge items today are:

1. pantry purge-already done, I'm already eating clean
2. kitchen restock-already done. Shopped at the butcher and Whole Foods last week.
3. increase daily movement-am going to make sure I'm up at least once every hour today. I'll track it on a pad of paper by my desk.
4. Slow and steady cardio. I'll do 45 minutes + on my bike tonight.

What are everyone's goals for February?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post

Oh, such a good question!

My goals for February are:

1) Gluten-free (I'm not full-fledged Celiac, so I don't have that negative reinforcement that Maura has... but I pay for it later, but I'm still not learning not to eat the junk)

2) Exercise 3 times a week

3) Work from home one day per week (to decrease my stress by getting things done both for work and at home)(and it's an extra day to exercise)

And by doing that, I hope to lose at least five lbs and for my jeans to fit comfortably.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
I don't post much but...mine is to eat clean, GF and LC, and do 30 min on my treadmill 3x a week. would like to lose 5 lbs. this month. GF is not the problem as I also get sick but, LC is my problem... and today I restarted.
Also to get off soda AGAIN...thank you dd...lol
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #139

Woo hoo! The scale inched down....at 149.5 this morning. I'll take it. New territory.

Happy Groundhog Day!

Primal challenge items today:
-primal food shopping--already done
-work out for 20-60 minutes-will do tonight
-no computer after 8PM (believe it or not, this will be my biggest challenge!)

Have a great day!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #140

Good morning. Scale at 149.9 this morning. At least it's another weight that starts with 14 right?

Here are my challenge goals for today:
1. eat primal...easy
2. no fast food...easy
3. lift weights...will do after work
4. do something fun...or in primal language, "play"...that's a hard one for me. Don't know what to do.

Rode my bike for an hour+ last night.

I'm having some anxiety again. I really really really hate it. I know that my stress levels are not helping my weight loss, nor are my anxiety medications.

Hope everyone has a good plan for staying on track as we head into the weekend!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Ugh... what a horribly busy week, with it being a typical crisis-ridden Friday. I had a long talk with hubby about the stress and feeling so overwhelmed and that helped. I worked from home on Thursday, which let me have lunch with my daughter and get some writing done.

The good news is that I'm back to pre-vacation weight and ready to move forward. TOM actually showed up this week (I now have 67 day cycles... and I can't say I mind that). I actually do better losing weight after TOM, so that's encouraging as well.

Goals for the weekend are to exercise, make some yummy gumbo and just relax!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #142

Those are great goals, Misha!

For the "fun" yesterday, I decided to take a bubble bath. I actually turned out all the lights and lit a candle and drank a cup of coffee.

Went to Texas Roadhouse with my boyfriend last night...had steak, salad, and red wine. Easy to eat LC/GF there...they actually have a GF menu...you have to request that they cook your steak without the seasoning that has gluten in it.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 02-04-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #143

Good morning,

It was my boyfriend's dog's birthday yesterday so we drove up for a couple of hours. I made spaghetti squash for me and lasagna for my daughter and BF. We got his dog a couple of new toys, so that was fun.

I rode for 45 minutes yesterday, plus we took the dog for a walk, so that filled my primal requirements!

Not into football, so not doing anything special for the SuperBowl today. My daughter is spending most of the day working on her science project!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Today was leftover ribs from Outback and a combination of cleaning, knitting and editing.

Got my exercise as DH and I heaved a new-to-us treadmill into the house. The small hand truck really earned its keep today, let me tell you. I think it weighs several hundred lbs.

Tomorrow is work from home day. Hopefully the bit of light-headedness I'm feeling isn't me getting the cold both DH and several co-workers have had.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #145

Maura, congratulations on your new treadmill! I am loving my Fitdesk. So much easier to work out at home for me. What kind of editing?

I'm cutting out dairy this week as my weekly experiment. My weight was back to 150.3 this morning. I know a few ounces here and there don't really matter, but it's disappointing to see all this bouncing around when I'm so committed right now.

Hamburger for breakfast, salad with pork and red peppers for lunch, steak and asparagus for dinner.

Have a great day, all!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Freelance fiction editing at the moment.

Wasn't all that hungry today so had homemade yogurt for lunch and salami + nuts for dinner. Cramps never put me in the mood to eat.

We'll see if tomorrow is any better. Might see what I feel like cooking from the Freezer o' Meat.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #147

Okay, I cut out dairy, and I did lose...a little more...I'm at 149.1 this morning. Maybe it will continue!

I'm swamped at work, so no time to write, but I am happy to hit a brand new low.

Have a great day, all!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #148

Good morning!

My scale is in bounce mode. Showed 149.4 this morning, so it's not a new low. If dropping dairy doesn't help me lose faster, I'm going to add back nuts, dairy, and fruit next week. All in controlled amounts, like an ounce of nuts, a serving of dairy, and a piece of fruit.

I need more variety than I have right now, and if I'm going to lose slowly, I might as well lose slowly and enjoy it.

I was able to put on a pair of too tight jeans yesterday. They are still too tight in the waist, but I was able to button them. That was a happy moment.

I've been riding my exercise bike every day now for almost two weeks! I'm determined to not let it become a "clothes hanger."

Have a good day!
Rachel
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #149

Oh, and I decided to do some math this morning.

If I keep losing at this rate--which is currently a little over an ounce a day--I will meet my goal of 136 pounds in 114 days, which is the deadline I set for my goal: June 1.

I just thought that was funny. My average loss lining up exactly with my goal date.

It will be interesting to see if this average continues or not.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #150

Good morning!

My scale went down a little bit....148.6 this morning, so maybe the dairy elimination IS a good thing. Having an Americano right now and will eat my hamburger when I get hungry. Lunch is a salad with chicken, red bell peppers, walnuts (yes, I added them), and olive oil.

I was talking with someone at work yesterday and she mentioned that she is also going wheat and sugar free. YAY!!

Happy Friday!
Rachel