Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Misha962
Stats: 164/158.8/145
WOE: PP/Atkins blend/Gluten-Free
Start Date: Over and over
I love it when I'm finally in ketosis... hunger is down to nothing, weight starts coming off and it's easy to not want to cheat! Now... if I can just get work under control, all will be well!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Misha962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
No problems with calcium here...

I am down almost six pounds since I started at the end of December. I haven't had a new weight loss in the last couple of days, though.

However, people are noticing my weight loss, so I AM making progress! I was able to button a blazer on Wednesday that I haven't been able to button in weeks.

I also went crazy last night and totally changed my hair color and style, so I'm getting a lot of good feedback today. It feels great!!

This morning, I'm having sliced ham for breakfast with coffee. I'll have some chicken and olives for lunch. Easy when you lose your appetite to just stick with the basics!!!

Have a wonderful Friday!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #93
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimar57 View Post
Hi Ladies,

Have anyone have/having problem with calcium? Mine is down and than go up. Dr. wants me to get some test done. Anyone having this?
I had a low calcium before and was put on calcium supplements. Sometimes it can be because of being malnourished from the wrong foods. Once I stopped gluten and my gut healed (or was healing) my calcium level was normal. Are you having a parathyroid test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha962 View Post
I love it when I'm finally in ketosis... hunger is down to nothing, weight starts coming off and it's easy to not want to cheat! Now... if I can just get work under control, all will be well!

Hope everyone is doing well!
I know what you mean about work ! I hope things get better for you there. I'm glad you don't have cravings now. I'm up and down on this. Some days I'm more hungry than others. I'm out of my SF cranberry juice today and I'm sad

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
No problems with calcium here...

I am down almost six pounds since I started at the end of December. I haven't had a new weight loss in the last couple of days, though.

However, people are noticing my weight loss, so I AM making progress! I was able to button a blazer on Wednesday that I haven't been able to button in weeks.

I also went crazy last night and totally changed my hair color and style, so I'm getting a lot of good feedback today. It feels great!!

This morning, I'm having sliced ham for breakfast with coffee. I'll have some chicken and olives for lunch. Easy when you lose your appetite to just stick with the basics!!!

Have a wonderful Friday!!!
Yay on the weight loss and people noticing! That's always a validation! Is this your new hair in your pic? Red? It's pretty! I've been using John Freida hair color and I get SO many compliments on my hair from that. It is so shiny! I'm too cheap to pay for it to be done at a salon so I'm glad I found this hair color!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #94

Star, thank you! Yes, that's it! It's a reddish brown. I found a salon where I can get a cut and color for $58, including the tip, so I do have it done. I used to always do my own hair, but I change my color/style so often that I had some bad results mixing colors. Now I stick with the salon!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #95

Here's my after picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newhairred-1.jpg (76.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 01-20-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #96

Here's my before picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre induction.jpg (17.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #97
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Star, thank you! Yes, that's it! It's a reddish brown. I found a salon where I can get a cut and color for $58, including the tip, so I do have it done. I used to always do my own hair, but I change my color/style so often that I had some bad results mixing colors. Now I stick with the salon!
That's a great price! That is such a pretty red. It's hard to get a good shade of red even in a salon, but yours is gorgeous. You look good as a blond too!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Star,
Yes, I went today to have the parathyriod test done. My calcium was really low but old dr. did nothing (a wait and see thing) New Dr. has been watching it. Testing me every 6 mo. and put me on 600mg calcium and now it too high..... They should have the test results in 3 day, so I should know something by Wednesday...

Ali
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Totally cute new do, Rachel! I've gone from blonde to umm.. caramel. It's pretty close to my "real" color, only a little warmer. I so love my stylist!

Star... it's my turn for the snow! My 30 minute drive was 75 minutes tonight and I seriously thought my Beetle was not going to make it up a couple of hills! I'm just so disappointed it's not a "school" night because I always take a snow day when they close the courthouse! I call it "snow day for lawyers!" I've also had the pleasure of watching some young adults across the street spend hours tonight burying the sister's car in an 8 foot snow drift! Oh, youth!

And even though we got stuck at home tonight, I was quite the foodie-chef and made pork chops roasted over pears, ginger, garlic and bacon and maple-glazed brussels sprouts. I pointed out to Hubby that he was lucky I could cook and he pointed out that I was lucky I married someone who wasn't just a "meat and potatoes or pizza" guy!

Touche!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #100

Sounds like an amazing meal, Misha!

Some bad weather here today...I drove up to my DBF's house last night, thinking it would just be rain when I started the drive home. Unfortunately, it turned to snow right after lunch, so I jumped in my Tucson and headed home. Luckily, I do have 4WD this year.

Last night, we went out for dinner. I had two glasses of Riesling, a greek salad, and salmon with a lemon wine sauce and asparagus. Delicious and all on plan. I stopped by his butcher this week and got organic chicken, grass fed beef, bacon, and two salmon filets, all for $20. They've got the best meat plus the best prices. They were unfortunately out of farm fresh eggs!!!

And, I met my weight loss goal for the week! Was 149.8 this am, which puts me down two pounds for my first week of induction.

Second week of induction coming right up! Goal is to lose 2 pounds this week.

Ali, I'm glad your doc is keeping an eye on things!!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

It really isn't hard to go out to dinner eating LC/GF. Skip the bread and pasta, have a salad, get some good protein and veggies and you're good! And being a foodie, I find that there are some delicious combinations of that out there!

I've lost five lbs this week. I really want to lose a couple more, but I did try on my vacation clothes and everything fit well enough. I can't get into an old pair of capris that I like, but I have to be about 9 lbs lighter for those to fit! I certainly don't feel nearly as bloated as I did LAST weekend and that is a good thing!

I'm taking my ketostrips on vacation with me to see if I can manage to go to a food and wine festival and stay close to being in ketosis! I figure if I eat on plan during the day, I can splurge a bit at the festival or at dinner. And with all the walking we'll do, I figure that will manage the caloric portion of the problem!

Now, if this cold will just disappear all the way. Ugh!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #102

Misha, great plan to take your ketostrips with you.

One of the things I'm doing differently this time around is being more conscious of how my day to day choices influence my body and my weight. Keeping track with ketostix and with my scale, along with noting any improvements in how my clothes fit are important to losing and maintaining this time.

I am excited that I've already thought of how I'm going to maintain.

Oh, and interesting: the waiter at the restaurant last night told me his mom is also doing a low carb, gluten free way of eating. We're getting popular!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #103

Oh! Just wanted to mention...have any of you visited the atkins site? Believe it or not, I have never been there. They have some fun tools and simple recipe ideas.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #104

Good morning! Had a ham and egg scramble for breakfast with a large Americano.

Fixed my netflix/wii connection last night and was finally able to catch the movie Fathead. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. The section on how carbs drive insulin drive fat storage was so interesting to me that I watched it twice. I've read this many times, but it was nice to see it illustrated.

Trying to plan my menus this week...and can you believe that I have SO MANY choices that I can't decide quite what to make? LOL. Who would think anyone would ever say that about a LC/GF diet?!!!!

Have a great day!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I think I found it a lot easier to do LC/GF when I finally managed to shed the idea of needing a starch with a meal. Steak and gravy is just fine - no need for potatoes, etc.

I feel like I'm being de-programmed sometimes!
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraV View Post
Me too!!!!
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #107

My new thing is learning new veggies!

Here's a sneak peek at my menu for the week:

breakfast: quiche
lunch: leftovers from dinner
dinners: spaghetti squash with butter, parm, and chicken, salmon with asparagus in a lemon sauce, beanless chili, and two nights out
Old 01-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraV View Post
I think I found it a lot easier to do LC/GF when I finally managed to shed the idea of needing a starch with a meal. Steak and gravy is just fine - no need for potatoes, etc.

I still feel that way after being G-free now almost 2 years! But, being LC and G-free is another program altogether
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #109

Good morning! I'm a little mad at my scale this morning since it's showing me up a couple of pounds, but I did eat a bunch of salty bacon last night before bed.

I'm in ketosis, so I'm not going to worry yet. In this for the long-term, anyway. I really have nowhere else to go.

Goal is to end this week at 147.8 or thereabouts.

Star, you're right...being gluten free and low carb is a WHOLE new thing!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stirfried
I've been trying to avoid the high carb (yet gluten free) recipes so I've been sticking to my george foreman grill (it is so old, lol, but it works fine) with a simple meat (pork, chicken, turkey burger, whatever) & I also grill up some veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, peppers) The lawreys seasoning I have is gluten free so I add a little of that, some white pepper & black pepper here & there or some GF soy sauce.
Can anyone recommend additional blogs/sites that talk about this kind of cooking?
I'm SO tempted by all the gf baking suggestions out there....
Great thread--just what I need to get back on track after the holidays
stirfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Good morning! The scale dropped to 158 this morning... so six lbs gone since last Monday! Yippee!! Still not thrilled with having to put my body in a bathing suit for vacation, but it's a start!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE veggies! It seems like each year I have a new trend with them -- a few years ago it was roasting them with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil. This past summer, it was charring them on the grill (olive oil and salt). I'm so grateful this diet doesn't say no to fat... I've been known to flash fry things too (we do this when we eat fondue, a semi-regular LCGF meal at our house). My only problem is that I can't find some of the veggies that I want here... I'm so craving endive!

Rachel -- your dinners sound marvelous! If any one is looking for a good chili recipe (an a good cookbook) Fran McCollough (The Low Carb Cookbook) has a great chili recipe that is pretty GF depending on the spices you use.

Stir -- there are tons of websites out there that are GF. I tend to stumble upon them when looking at other food blogs. I tend toward the foodie/gourmet stuff and I use Food52.com and you can search for Gluten-Free stuff that way. I also like myrecipes.com and you can do searches for Gluten-Free too.

Ok...off to another LCGF day! Have a delightful one all!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha962 View Post
=
Stir -- there are tons of websites out there that are GF. I tend to stumble upon them when looking at other food blogs. I tend toward the foodie/gourmet stuff and I use Food52.com and you can search for Gluten-Free stuff that way. I also like myrecipes.com and you can do searches for Gluten-Free too.

!
Yeah, I know about the websites and blogs, etc. I was just talking about the adjusting part of going G-free and then all the way G-free and LC. I did Atkins years ago, but I wasn't G-free so I didn't have to watch foods so closely. Now, I'm watching carbs and gluten, so yeah it's an adjustment. I love it though. It narrows down the choices you can have and it really does make life more easy. I'm not missing what I can't have, I'm appreciating what I CAN have
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #113

Good morning!

Welcome, Stirfried! I like Mark's Daily Apple, Wheat Belly blog, and recently found out that the Atkins site actually has a ton of good recipes. I LOVE good food, but it has to be simple to make as I hate cleaning up afterwards. Last night, I heated coconut oil, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds in a pan and cooked salmon on my stove top. It was so pretty and very good and easy.

Pouting this morning because my scale is still up. If I don't get to my goal by Saturday morning, I am going to cut out dairy for a week and see what happens. I AM in ketosis, and I'm not overeating. Weighed in at 151.5 this morning after seeing a low of 149.5 last Friday. This is the part I hate...the inconsistency of the scale...but I am sticking with it this time ANYWAY.

My Fitdesk should arrive tomorrow....I am excited.

Star, I think Misha was commenting to Stir Fried.

Got to run off to a meeting
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Good morning!

Welcome, Stirfried! I like Mark's Daily Apple, Wheat Belly blog, and recently found out that the Atkins site actually has a ton of good recipes. I LOVE good food, but it has to be simple to make as I hate cleaning up afterwards. Last night, I heated coconut oil, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds in a pan and cooked salmon on my stove top. It was so pretty and very good and easy.

Pouting this morning because my scale is still up. If I don't get to my goal by Saturday morning, I am going to cut out dairy for a week and see what happens. I AM in ketosis, and I'm not overeating. Weighed in at 151.5 this morning after seeing a low of 149.5 last Friday. This is the part I hate...the inconsistency of the scale...but I am sticking with it this time ANYWAY.

My Fitdesk should arrive tomorrow....I am excited.

Star, I think Misha was commenting to Stir Fried.

Got to run off to a meeting
Oops sorry! I can't delete the comment, so Misha just ignore it please I should know not to post before I have my coffee in the mornings

Rachel, I understand how you feel about the scale Hopefully, you will have a whoosh soon!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Glad to find you guys. I'm about half way thru Wheat Belly but I've read enough to convince me to eliminate wheat from my diet, my husband's too. I've read both of Gary Taubes books and another book I highly recommend is Life Without Bread.

Last January I started Intermittent Fasting combined with Very Low Carb and did really well but I've have allowed some wheat products (althought low-carb) to creep in and then I went completely off plan during the holidays. I'm back on track but still using the low-carb wheat products but not any more. I'm cleaning the cupboards this weekend, what's been opened and used out of goes in the trash and what's not been opened will go to the food bank or should I toss it too. I feel conflicted donating food to the needy when I know that food is unhealthy.

I'll keep track of you guys. I'm not a consistant poster but I'm a consumate lurker . There are so many recipes out there that fit in with a LC/GF plan and many of them I've used in the past. My concerns now are finding the hidden wheat products in the things I've always considered good LC options like salad dressings, protein powders, condiments, etc. I'm on a mission.

Pam
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #116

Pam, welcome! Love Wheat Belly and Taubes and am going to take a look at Life Without Bread.

Star, thanks for understanding about the scale. It's at this point that I start to worry that I will be locked into this weight and "enjoying" limited choices for the rest of my life. I'm letting that thought go. It's still early in the process, and I am planning a slow loss, anyway. I just want to see those numbers going down to feel like they reflect my effort, which has been excellent.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #117

Good morning! Scale is holding steady. That's good...but I want it to go down. No matter, I'm in ketosis and doing everything right. I have some ideas of what I can do, but I'm giving this a little bit longer before I freak out.

I bought myself an exercise bike...think I said before. It arrived LAST NIGHT!!!! I was so excited and was able to put it together myself. I logged about 25 miles last night (just slow and steady) and did a mile this morning while my first cup of coffee was brewing. I am going go and blog about it this morning.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #118

And the mystery is solved...maybe! TOM appeared out of nowhere. Hooray and blech at the same time. Hopefully I've just been retaining some water and am secretly moving towards my goal!!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Pam

Rachel, that darn TOM!!!!! argh!!! At least one good thing may come out of it, you may have a whoosh after it's over

I need to read Wheat Belly next. Is it an easy read? I already know it's horribly bad for me and I'm intolerant, but I love reading books that confirm it's bad for you. Just as a reminder

I love it when mainstream doctors realize the harm it causes for some people.

Do y'all have kids? If so, are they G-free? My DD14 has no problems with gluten, but I watch her closely, even for mood changes. She does well. I did too until I was an older teen. I'm thinking leaky gut from some powerful antibiotics I took for a tooth infection along with BCPs caused mine.

If I had known about a gluten intolerance when I was younger and when she was little then I would have made the whole house G-free, but it's hard to convince a teenager she can't have the stuff she has eaten for years. She has no weight problems either.

I make G-free things that she loves, but has no idea they are G-free Her cereals are G-free. I sneak that kind of stuff in on her, but she still eats breads and chips, etc. Oh well, I do what I can and add in some veggies and meats and cut out all the dinner rolls. Maybe she'll get on a health kick soon
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #120

Hi Star!

Yes, I do have a daughter who is 13. I would love for her to switch to a gluten free, low carb diet, however, it has to be her choice. I don't want to force her into any dieting behaviors. She's at the higher end of "normal" weight (which is good), and she does have acne, which I think would clear up with a better diet.

She eats granola bars for breakfast and brings fruit, cheese, nuts, dark chocolate, and more granola bars for lunch/snacks. Sometimes she'll add a half a ham sandwich or have pizza at school.

And I always cook a healthy dinner....meat and veggies...and she always wants to snack on chips or ice cream at night. Her diet is not 100% horrible, but it is not 100% great, either.

She knows how I eat, and I'm hoping that she'll see my weight change and realize that this is something she might want to explore, too. Maybe when she's older.

I did think Wheat Belly was an easy read. I couldn't put it down!