Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I need to lay off the nuts That plus TOM has me up a lb or two but this is common for me at this time of the month. Just annoying. Did have a nice GF meal at PF Changs with my work team for lunch yesterday, though.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Maura, what did you have? I love their GF menu.

I just finished reading "Why We Get Fat" by Taubes. I can't believe I've never read that one before! Made a lot of sense to me, especially in terms of my weight gain on a gluten free high carb "healthy" diet.

I may drop my carbs a bit lower and see what happens. I never did climb the Atkins ladder properly when I did it the first time, and I have no idea of what the right amount of carbs is for me.

I'm thinking of doing a two week induction to see if I can establish more of a set point and then see how the greek yogurt, almond flour/almonds, dark chocolate and fruit is working for (or against) me.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 01-11-2012 at 04:11 PM..
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Maura, I wish we had a PF Changs here.

Rachel, I really need to read that book. I think I may look for it on Amazon for my Kindle. I hear so many great things about it.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #64

Star, I read it on my Kindle. Excellent book. I need to go back and re-read it again.

I definitely suggest Wheat Belly and Why We Get Fat as the perfect pair of well-written, insightful books on why it's important to go gluten free (wheat free) and low carb.

I am finishing up my LOWER carb foods this week and will start eating LOW carb for two weeks on Monday. My induction will include: meat, eggs, cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, green vegetables, and fats. No nuts or fruit or dark chocolate. It will be a challenge!! But I am looking forward to doing it.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

I bought the book for my Kindle and started it last night I was too sleepy to get much reading in though.

Something that has helped me chocolate-wise, is mixing some cream cheese with splenda or your favorite sweetener and some sugar free cocoa. It takes like the filling of chocolate cheesecake. It hasn't put me out of ketosis either. Sometimes you just need something sweet and chocolately. Or at least I do
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #66

That's a great idea, Star.

I should get some ketostix to keep me motivated during my induction. I've read that some people don't like them or believe in them, but I remember how motivated it kept me to stay in the pink! I will use them as a motivational tool!

I had coffee with half and half, greek yogurt with nuts, and a cobb salad today. Tonight is chicken with baked zuchini for dinner and two squares of dark chocolate for desert. I'm super busy at work until April 22, and I know it's going to be easy to do induction foods during the day, as long as I'm prepared.

I need to go take a look at the "induction food" threads and see what people are eating.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 01-12-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

I love those ketostix

I love it when they're pink too. They help me feel validated that I'm doing right haha!

*in my post above that should have said TASTE and not takes*

Last edited by Star73; 01-12-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #68

I read it as tastes! No worries!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #69

Dinner last night was a steak with vegetables...awesome!

Today is coffee with cream, and my DBF is making bacon and eggs for breakfast while I work on a freelance writing project.

Here's my non-scale victory...my winter coat has been too tight, and now it FITS again.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay Rachel ! Congrats!

I can't wait for my clothes to get looser. I'm down 6 pounds since Jan 2. I was hoping for more, but I'm just glad it isn't going up
Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #71

Six pounds is great, Star!

My daughter and I went to Barbacoa for dinner. I had a burrito bowl with only meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and two kinds of salsa. It was suprisingly filling and very tasty.

I'm happily remembering that there are lots of yummy food options even in an induction stage.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
hi Rachel, you posted on my birthday. I'm not familiar with Wheat Belly but I agree with the author about flaxseed meal. I know from being on gluten free/low carb eating plan that 30-50 carbs works for me if my desire in weight loss and stabilization of appetite. For those times that I'm maintaining, I can eat between 50 and 70 but not more than that. Being on a schedule can be comforting and I hope it is for you.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Six pounds is great, Star!

My daughter and I went to Barbacoa for dinner. I had a burrito bowl with only meat, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and two kinds of salsa. It was suprisingly filling and very tasty.

I'm happily remembering that there are lots of yummy food options even in an induction stage.
thanks so much! the burrito bowl sounds delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandiva View Post
hi Rachel, you posted on my birthday. I'm not familiar with Wheat Belly but I agree with the author about flaxseed meal. I know from being on gluten free/low carb eating plan that 30-50 carbs works for me if my desire in weight loss and stabilization of appetite. For those times that I'm maintaining, I can eat between 50 and 70 but not more than that. Being on a schedule can be comforting and I hope it is for you.
do you mind sharing what he said about flaxseed meal? I've been eating OMMs and they are so good. I need to read Wheat Belly...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #74

Oceandiva, Happy Birthday! I bought flaxseed, but I'm not going to use it until after my "induction" is done. I agree that it's healthy, and I really want to try the flaxseed wraps.

I'm thinking I should do well with 60-70 carbs for maintaining, but I'm not really seeing a significant loss yet. I am hoping to be able to lose by keeping it simple: eggs, meat, small amount of heavy cream and cheese, green veggies, fats, and spices.

This week's breakfast will be quiche with sausage, eggs.
Lunch will be meatballs and salad, except for Thurs. when my team takes me out. Then I will do salad and chicken.
Dinners will be a combination of meat and veggie each night.

Wish me luck as I kick this off tomorrow. I would like to lose five pounds in my induction period.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Misha962
Stats: 164/158.8/145
WOE: PP/Atkins blend/Gluten-Free
Start Date: Over and over
So lovely to find this thread and you fellow gluten-intolerant/Celiac posters! And it was very helpful to read about the problems with the gluten-free substitutes - I'm guilty of having way too many GF crackers with cheese: that's just almost as bad as eating the real stuff!

I was so bad over the holidays -- too much stress, entirely too busy at work and too many tempting things around. I tried to get back on the wagon last week, with only limited success. I ate pretty darn clean yesterday (glass of tomato juice was my biggest offender) and lost 2.6 lbs right away. I'm heading for a place where a bathing suit will be required next week and I hope to lose a bit more just so I don't feel so bloated.

For the next week, strict induction. No GF substitutes. It really isn't that hard to do as long as I remember to be prepared, right? Plus, I want my knees to stop hurting so I can walk and snorkel and bicycle without too much pain!

Looking forward to getting healthy with everyone!
Misha962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #76

Misha, happy to see you here! I'm starting a low carb induction today and doing it for two weeks. Just meat, eggs, veggies, fats, spices, and small amounts of dairy. There really is a LOT of yummy food that is both GF and LC and the key is to be prepared.

My starting weight today is 151.8. I would like to be at 149.8 next Monday.

I wrote out my plan for today through June 1, when I want to be at or below 136. I also wrote out my maintenance plan for June 2012-forever. I've never thought about maintenance at the beginning of any plan, but I've typed it all out and put it on my fridge.

Just had quiche and coffee for a late breakfast. I think I'm already in ketosis...been eating pretty well the last couple of days.

Took today off work, so I'm going to just go have fun and do some shopping.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Rachel -- that's my same game plan. Had a bit of a wrench thrown in it with being sick today, but fortunately, I was smart and froze some homemade chicken soup the last time I made it and was able to eat that today! Tonight's dinner is ribs and mashed cauliflower.

I love the keto strips --seeing that pink is so validating that I'm on the right path! I wonder if I need to go buy some new ones! I haven't run out before I've fallen of the wagon lately!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #78

I need to head to Target and pick up some keto sticks tomorrow too! I love being "in the pink!"

Misha, I hope you are feeling better!

I went shopping today...I was hoping to find just one pair of casual jeans for the weekends that don't give me muffin top. I have a pair of size 8 jeans from NY&Co that fit me great in the legs and rear...but muffin top. Unfortunately, size 10 is too baggy. I also went to The Loft and tried on 8 pairs of jeans...same problem.

For now, I am going to dress around the muffin...bought some tops that work WITH my current shape.

I will dance around my house the day I can wear my favorite jeans and have no squish over the top.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Misha

Rachel started a great thread here huh? I love being able to discuss LC and G-free with fellow peeps doing it

I'm just like you guys about the ketostix and loving that pink!!!

I love the idea of making soup and freezing it for those times of feeling sick. I need to do this!

Rachel, there was a thread here not too long about jeans and I remember some people talking about jeans that didn't cause a huge muffin top. I can't remember the name brands, but you might do a jean search here and see if you can find that thread.

I've done good today on LC. I went over on carbs Saturday night and now I'm back on track
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #80

Star, thanks for the tip. I'll look for that thread! I do have a pair of dressier trouser jeans with no muffin top that I wear on Fridays to work, but they are too dressy to wear with a t-shirt on the weekends!

Love all the tips and ideas being shared in this thread. Thanks to everyone who is posting!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Good morning fellow LCGF'ers!

Despite lying on the sofa all day and doing nothing (except I did cook dinner last night), I managed to still be down .4 lbs this morning. I hope the trend continues!

I'm heading to work in a few -- no voice (which is a challenge for an attorney) but I have to get stuff done. I'm taking some left-over stew with me to work -- spicy, with a good broth which should help!

Ugh... jeans and muffin tops. Such a frustrating situation -- I do cheat and wear a spanx cami with jeans... it helps a little bit!

Anyone else here LC/GF/and on the cusp of menopause? This is my additional joy these days! I'm really hoping being LCGF helps those hot flashes and accumulating abdominal weight gain!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #82

Misha, I'm an editorial director...I lose my voice for a couple of weeks every six months due to injections I get in my voice cords...I feel your pain! It's REALLY hard to communicate with no voice!! Whenever I lose my voice, it's so frustrating and exhausting! Sending you strong voice wishes!!

I am 45, so YES, I feel like I am also on the cusp. I don't have hot flashes yet, but my TOM has started getting irregular...sometimes 2x a month, UGH.

I am down .2. Some is better than none!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I'm on the cusp, too. I'm having the wonderful combination of cramps from hell, torrential flood AND hot flashes I'm hoping to get to my goal before I hit full-blown menopause.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Rachel -- I had REALLY bad laryngitis last winter and my doctor said absolutely no speaking! That was too frustrating so I hooked my computer up to a small speaker and used a voice synthesizer to "communicate." It was especially amusing because I found one that had different voices (male, female, robot, etc) and I'd keep using different ones to talk to the hubby. He never knew what to expect. I don't think that laughing that hard was especially good for my voice either! I can't imagine having no voice for more than two weeks though... you must have gone crazy!

Aside from that, it was a pretty decent day -- stayed on track food-wise. With no hubby tonight, I just came home and had bacon and eggs! Yum! I love breakfast for dinner!

Maura -- did you end up getting lots of snow? I heard today that Seattle was expecting 9"! We ended up with a nice squall on my way home... took me twice as long as usual. Ugh.

Enjoy the evening, ladies!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #85

Misha, I could have some fun with a voice synthesizer! I had a conference to go to with no voice...very difficult to network! Luckily, I was with a bunch of guys who LOVE to talk!!

Had a good day 2. Breakfast was quiche, lunch was burger and veggies (wound up going out at last minute with team), dinner was meatloaf.

Did I tell you all that I ordered an exercise bike? It's called the fitdesk, so I can ride it at home while working on my laptop. I have wanted an exercise bike for about five years now. It's so funny that everyone is so negative about it...like, "you'll never actually use it, it will just become a clothes hanger..." I am determined to prove everyone wrong. Can't WAIT until it arrives.

Onto day 3 tomorrow!!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha962 View Post
Maura -- did you end up getting lots of snow? I heard today that Seattle was expecting 9"! We ended up with a nice squall on my way home... took me twice as long as usual. Ugh.
We got 6 inches on the ground as of the end of the day. Not a huge amount (other than it's Seattle and everyone freaks out). First they predicted a lot more tomorrow but it appears they've backed off that to just "a little snow" in my area. School for the Minion is closed so I'll be working from home with his "help".

Given my driveway, it may be a miracle if I get into the office this week at all.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

No hot flashes here yet, but my poor sister is having a rough time. She's having over 10 a day and night. She just started taking Estroven and vitamin E a couple of weeks ago. It can take 30 days to work. I sure hope it helps her.

We haven't had any snow here. Some years we get snow and some years we don't. Last year it snowed three times which was unusual for us here. I'm great with that. I hate winter

I need a voice synthesizer

Rachel, I know people who use their treadmills at home all the time. I was one of those who would end up using exercise equipment to hang clothes on or to set stuff on. If I had a really good treadmill though I bet I would use it.

I'm ready for warmer weather and the time change so I can get some exercise by walking outside. It was nice here yesterday, in the high 60s, but the wind was crazy and it was only nice during the time I had to work

I hope you all have a great Wednesday!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #88

Good morning! Happy to be in "new" territory this morning...scale showed 150.3.

I'm in Utah...we usually have LONG winters, but we've been lucky this year. I bought a 4WD on Halloween weekend and have only had to use it once. However, there is a storm predicted over the next five days, so we'll see! I am not a fan of cold weather!!

I'm on my computer at home a lot....mostly here and other sites I like. So, my incentive is to cycle while computing. No cycle, no computer, unless I am doing my weekly budgeting.

Star, I lived briefly in the Eureka Springs/Holiday Island area. We had a couple of bad storms the winter I was there. I totally AGREE that walking outside is my favorite exercise...just not when it's cold, dark, and snowy.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

It was a good day here yesterday too! Dropped to 159.8... down from over 164 on Sunday. That's the thing I love best about LC'ing... quick results (even if it is just water... but I'll give up the bloat any day!)

We have an elliptical machine and we just got a recumbent bike so Hubby and I can exercise at the same time. We did a bit before Christmas, but we've agreed to exercise in the evenings. So far... we did well last week -- three evenings. But since I got sick on Sunday, I haven't. Maybe tonight if I'm feeling up to it.

And Star, we've had a wonderfully mild winter too! I live on the southern tip of Lake Michigan and we usually get lake effect snow, starting in November. Last night was the first time it took me double my normal driving time to get home because of snow. Not fun, but it beats having already done it for two months!

Ok, off to make breakfast, pack a lunch and get ready for work. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alimar57
Stats: 213/173/150 re:214/190
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb/Gluten and Lactose Free
Start Date: 7/21/03 restart: everyday
Hi Ladies,

Have anyone have/having problem with calcium? Mine is down and than go up. Dr. wants me to get some test done. Anyone having this?
alimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote