LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Joint pain and physical impairment

This is rather long, but I thought it might help people with similar problems. I've been low-carbing since 2002 and felt great. Then I got into low-carb baking using vital wheat gluten and small amounts of wheat flour. I'm normally very physically active and didn't make the connection for a long time -- I just thought I was getting older and needed to slow down. My major symptom was intense, crippling joint pain. There was also a lack of physical coordination, lack of energy, depression, and loss of learning ability (I'm a pianist and I was having a lot of trouble concentrating and learning new music -- again, I just figured I was getting older). There were also food cravings and a desire to eat constantly, something I hadn't experienced since I started low-carbing. The foods that seem to trigger my symptoms are wheat and potatoes. It was very difficult for me to figure out what was causing the problem because the joint pain takes about four days to appear -- so I'd have to go back about four days and figure out what I'd eaten. Even if I had a tiny amount of wheat, say enough to thicken a gravy, I'd still get intense joint pain. The symptoms would last about two weeks, accompanied by constipation in the second week, then I would get a bad case of diarrhea and the symptoms would be gone.

I've done a lot of reading online since then, and consensus seems to be that the foods to avoid are cereal grains -- wheat, rye, corn, etc. -- and members of the nightshade family -- potatoes, eggplant, peppers and tomatoes. I also have a suspicion that vegetable oils and other foods high in Omega 6 fats like peanuts cause me problems, but I haven't seen much discussion of this online, and I don't do too much experimenting, for obvious reasons! If you are low-carbing, watch out for Splenda, as the bulking agent in it is derived from corn and can cause problems. Also read the labels on medicines and vitamins carefully as many use grain-derived bulking agents and you may be sensitive to them even in tiny quantities.

I got to the point where it was getting physically challenging to walk or use my hands, but since I have avoided the foods that cause me problems, I have pretty much regained my physical strength, coordination and concentration. I still experience bouts of pain if I eat something I shouldn't, but it goes away after two weeks. I don't know that this would be the case with everybody, but at least avoiding problem foods should give some relief.

The easiest way to find out if you have similar problems is to avoid all cereal grains, vegetables from the nightshade family (including hot peppers, but not black pepper) and vegetable oils (but not olive oil) and vitamins and over-the-counter medicines for a month and see how you feel. If there is a medicine that you need to take, see if you can find a version labelled "gluten-free." After a month, if you're brave, you can start reintroducing some of those foods, but as far a I'm concerned, why bother because most of them aren't very healthy anyway. Hope this helps!
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
One other thing that may help is the JUDDD WOE. You may want to
look at our JUDDD section and check it out.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Hurray!!! I love reading stories like this.

I have Rheumatoid arthritis and know the pain associated with inflamed joints quite well. I remember when I would dread having to put on or take off my bra. Simple things would be mountains.

I have been gluten free for some time now but my issue is actually MILK. I always recommend people try to get off dairy (but milk specifically) if they find getting off gluten has not "cured" them.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
So glad you found out what helps you! I feel better since being off gluten. Peppers can cause a major flare of joint pain for me too. Potatoes don't, but I feel sluggish after I eat them. Food is medicine! Some foods cause you to need medicine!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
So glad you found out what helps you! I feel better since being off gluten. Peppers can cause a major flare of joint pain for me too. Potatoes don't, but I feel sluggish after I eat them. Food is medicine! Some foods cause you to need medicine!
Very very true. And people have a hard time believing that it could be there food making them sick!

I also can't tolerate rose wine. Red is okay in moderation but NEVER rose. Something about the sulfites?
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

WOE: Wheat Belly (Grain Free, Sugar Free, Low Carb)
Start Date: March 2012
Oliveoyl,
Your experience of severe joint pain is very similar to mine. In addition, I had severe chronic headaches (3-4 days per week), migraines and IBS from the time I was a teenager.

Like you, I thought that the joint pain was a fact of life caused by aging, which couldn't have been further from the truth. Getting rid of grains relieved me of pain in under a week! I will never go back to eating wheat, it's a true toxin. Personally, the nightshade veggies and dairy haven't had that effect on me, but I know everyone is different. I also make sure I get plenty of healthy fat, especially coconut oil and butter, and avoid the manufactured oils such as canola like the plague. Also, Splenda will give me a nasty headache, though I have done well using Swerve and Truvia as alternatives to sugar.

I am so thankful to have renewed health, I just can't say enough about this WOE. The book Wheat Belly changed my life because it changed my understanding of why wheat is toxic and also the physiological results of consuming it. You couldn't pay me to eat wheat on purpose! I will admit that I do occasionally have some white rice when I eat sushi, and that hasn't had any ill effects that I have noticed, but I avoid rice in general because of the high carb count.

I recommend to everyone to try giving up the grains for a few weeks and see how your body reacts... for many people it is nothing short of transformational!
Gretchen Grainfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen Grainfree View Post
Oliveoyl,
Your experience of severe joint pain is very similar to mine. In addition, I had severe chronic headaches (3-4 days per week), migraines and IBS from the time I was a teenager.

Like you, I thought that the joint pain was a fact of life caused by aging, which couldn't have been further from the truth. Getting rid of grains relieved me of pain in under a week! I will never go back to eating wheat, it's a true toxin. Personally, the nightshade veggies and dairy haven't had that effect on me, but I know everyone is different. I also make sure I get plenty of healthy fat, especially coconut oil and butter, and avoid the manufactured oils such as canola like the plague. Also, Splenda will give me a nasty headache, though I have done well using Swerve and Truvia as alternatives to sugar.

I am so thankful to have renewed health, I just can't say enough about this WOE. The book Wheat Belly changed my life because it changed my understanding of why wheat is toxic and also the physiological results of consuming it. You couldn't pay me to eat wheat on purpose! I will admit that I do occasionally have some white rice when I eat sushi, and that hasn't had any ill effects that I have noticed, but I avoid rice in general because of the high carb count.

I recommend to everyone to try giving up the grains for a few weeks and see how your body reacts... for many people it is nothing short of transformational!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote