Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaygato
Could I be gluten sensitive?

Hey I'm sorry this is so long, but someone please answer. I'd really like help. I also posted this is the thyroid forum because I'm wondering if i have hashimoto's thyroiditis as well. Thanks in advance.

Hi this is my first post here and I came here from a google search on thyroid issues. I'm an 18 year old female in her first year of college. I've been experiencing brain fog, slow thinking, general tiredness, and irritability/anxiety since I was a kid. I'm in a really desperate situation right now...I'm failing out of college and I'm trying to get my life together. I'm trying to figure out my health issues now because I think that's a lot of what is standing in my way.

I was diagnosed as mildly ADD at 7 and took meds for a while in high school. They made me too anxious so I had to stop. Then I was put on zoloft and am now in the process of weaning off of it.

I've done a lot of internet searches to see what could possibly be behind my problems and I ran into thyroid problems. My aunt is hypothyroid (she's 51 now) and has been for a while now. So is my grandma. I've read about and know some of the some of the symptoms of hashimoto's.

Here are my possible symptoms:

1. overweight as a kid...craved sugar and carbs
2. slow and sluggish, teachers wanted me tested for ADD
3. moody as a child
4. worn out by lower levels of stress than most people
5. need 9-12 hours of sleep
6. have no motivation to do anything
7. foggy brain...take forever to do things when I get started
8. slight cold and heat intolerance
9. I haven't really ever payed attention to this till recently...but very often have soft, grayish stools (sorry if that's TMI)

I've been pretty burned out lately. I recently gave up coffee and now I feel even more exhausted, but I think coffee has been making me worse so it's probably good I gave it up.

I'm just really tired of the constant tiredness and brain fog limiting me. I only started drinking coffee so that I'd be more alert during middle school/ high school. I have a bad social life as well because I have to work around my lack of energy and motivation/

So do you think my symptoms would warrant a test for thyroid antibodies? Would taking synthetic thyroid hormone help with my persistent mental and physical fatigue?

I've been trying to eat healthier as well, and was considering trying to go gluten free to see if it would help my symptoms. Would you reccomend trying this?
kaygato is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IrishRose1975
Stats: 299/299/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/14/13
I think talking to you doctor about your symptoms would be a good start. He or she could order bloodwork and tests to see what is going on with your body. It wouldn't hurt to for gluten-free for a week or so and see if you have an improvement in how you feel.
Good Luck.
IrishRose1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Kay, I agree with what IrishRose posted about the doctor and going gluten-free. I would try it for several months, though. It takes awhile for the protein gliadins in gluten to get out of one's system.

Even if someone does not test positive for antibodies with a celiac test, there can still be reactions to gluten.

Many of us stopped eating grains altogether, and notice many improvements in how we feel.

There is no metabolic need, no dietary need for grains. Dr. Kurt Harris explains the science at his blog.

All the best to you.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dharma
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: NO grains/starches/sugar
Start Date: January 6, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Kay, I agree with what IrishRose posted about the doctor and going gluten-free. I would try it for several months, though. It takes awhile for the protein gliadins in gluten to get out of one's system.
I've heard it takes 6 to 12 months for the gliadins to get out of our system. I'm on month 3 now, and while a lot of things have improved, I'm still waiting for the depression to lift. I've tried EVERYTHING for depression so if this doesn't work I don't know what I'm gonna do!!
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
After going gluten free in June of '09, it took a good 6 months before I started feeling better mentally. Hang in there.. it gets better.

Also since lowcarbing in June of this year my depression has really lifted. Maybe grains are the culprit? (even gluten free grains).

All the best!
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I was lucky and some of my symptoms eased as soon as I went gluten-free (I'm a diagnosed celiac) but I still notice other symptoms I'd never associated with gluten disappearing. I don't have a particular problem with depression but I certainly have more energy since going GF. And I've heard quite a few people who are gluten-sensitive or celiac say it really affects their long-term moods. So definitely give it a LONG try.

Because I'm gf and now lc as well, I'm pretty much off all grains.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraV View Post
I was lucky and some of my symptoms eased as soon as I went gluten-free (I'm a diagnosed celiac) but I still notice other symptoms I'd never associated with gluten disappearing. I don't have a particular problem with depression but I certainly have more energy since going GF. And I've heard quite a few people who are gluten-sensitive or celiac say it really affects their long-term moods. So definitely give it a LONG try.

Because I'm gf and now lc as well, I'm pretty much off all grains.
Me too. I was officially diagnosed with moderate gluten intolerance 3 months even after I already stopped consuming gluten...

My only grain treat I have nowadays is 1 corn tortilla once every few weeks! My body functions so much better without grains!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
I went gluten free to see if it helped and within 24 hours I felt so much better! I too had brain fog, super tired esp after carby gluten filled meals, daily upset stomach, high anxiety - and so much more!

I have never been officially tested but I don't need to be, I feel so much better not eating gluten. Nasty stuff!!!! LOL
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squigglywiggly View Post
I went gluten free to see if it helped and within 24 hours I felt so much better! I too had brain fog, super tired esp after carby gluten filled meals, daily upset stomach, high anxiety - and so much more!

I have never been officially tested but I don't need to be, I feel so much better not eating gluten. Nasty stuff!!!! LOL
You still might want to be tested because if you have Celiac you have to be even more careful and it's a very dangerous disease...

Luckily, I only have gluten intolerance and not Celiac disease...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Just remember that if want to be tested for celiac, you must be eating gluten to be tested. So if you've gone off gluten, you need to go BACK on a high gluten-diet for about six weeks for the test to be accurate.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Squigglywiggly
Stats: 220/193.2/160
WOE: low carbing/leptin reset
Start Date: June 2010
Never going back on gluten, not even to be tested, and I am very very careful - I basically treat myself as if I am celiac, even down to things that could possibly be contaminated....
Squigglywiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauraV View Post
Just remember that if want to be tested for celiac, you must be eating gluten to be tested. So if you've gone off gluten, you need to go BACK on a high gluten-diet for about six weeks for the test to be accurate.
True.. however, I didn't have gluten for 3 months prior to be tested, but it still showed I was moderately gluten intolerant... and I tested not positive for Celiac... guess it depends on how much gluten is still in your system?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

no - gluten progressively damages the intestine lining of celiac disease sufferers. The blunting of the celia lining the small intestine is the gold-standard hallmark of the disease thus the most accepted/reliable test right now is a biopsy of the small intestine.

If you go off gluten, that damage starts to heal (thankfully). In order to get an accurate test result, you need to be on lots of gluten for a long period of time (six weeks to three months) to see if damage is being done. It actually has no bearing on how much gluten is in you system at the time of the test.

So if you have celiac and are gluten free for months, the damage that is the hallmark of the disease could have healed by the time the biopsy is done. It doesn't mean you're cured - going back on gluten starts the damage again - but it means your gold-standard diagnostic symptom is gone so you may not be diagnosable at that time.

(hope that makes sense)

Personally, the biopsy wasn't a ton of fun If you're getting good results by staying off gluten and you don't NEED an official diagnosis for some other reason, I'd just stay off the gluten and not worry about the biopsy but YMMV.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joelle
Stats: 235/192.4/170
WOE: modified Atkins and wheat free
Start Date: June 15, 2011
We have a daughter who we know has a wheat allergy and think she has celiac. Her disposition changed dramatically when we changed her diet to gluten-free. They wanted us to put her back on gluten for 3 months so they could do a biopsy. I told them they were nuts if they thought I would put her back on a diet where she was in so much pain all the time. We treat her as though she has it. Her diet is highly restricted and it works for us.
joelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Joelle, I agree... who needs a diagnosis if you KNOW you have a problem with it!

I only got a diagnosis simply to SHOW my spouse I wasn't just making it up. ;-)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelle View Post
We have a daughter who we know has a wheat allergy and think she has celiac. Her disposition changed dramatically when we changed her diet to gluten-free. They wanted us to put her back on gluten for 3 months so they could do a biopsy. I told them they were nuts if they thought I would put her back on a diet where she was in so much pain all the time. We treat her as though she has it. Her diet is highly restricted and it works for us.
If your daughter has a wheat allergy, I would never put her back on a wheat/gluten diet to get a celiac diagnosis. I guess you could try filling her up with rye, barley and spelt but feeding her wheat when she has a known allergy, in the quantity needed for a celiac response for diagnosis would be health-threatening and just cruel.

Good for you on just getting her off gluten and keeping her off it.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
You have just described my 12 year old daughter. I am thinking I should do a gf trial and see what happens for her.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote