Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Celiac / Gluten-Free
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
Cross Contamination of GLUTEN

Daughter had a terrible reaction to getting glutened on New Years Day at 430 am. She was ready to be taken to the ER. I was so worried. Never seen it this bad before but we attribute it to her boss eating cookies, breaded snacks and using the register, draws, etc. Touching all the places my daughter did as well, while working with her.

And quite possibly an older cookie sheet she used to make GF pizzas on! I never thought she would ever use that sheet. We take such care in wiping areas, removing older utensils, etc.

I worry that perhaps my food containers such as tupperware might have gluten since they were once used to store cooked pastas that contained gluten so long ago? Is this possible?
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbert
If your daughter has a really bad sensitivty to gluten, I've read that people go to great lengths to keep a seperate food prep area. They use foil on the cookie sheets, seperate foods, use a seperate toaster, seperate food containers, etc.

I'm just learning about gluten but there is a lot of info out there if she has celiac.
qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mazella09
She has her own cook/bake ware. Separate cabinets and shelves on the fridge and freezer. I go to great lengths when preparing her dad's gluten junk and our gluten free.

She may have celiac but she said no to the biopsy. Either way she has found life much more enjoyable by staying away from celiac altogether.

But still no info on the old tupperware, huh? Maybe I will just donate the stuff and start storing things in that Frigoverre glass containers I find at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. Or even pyrex.
Mazella09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Wow! I didn't know there could be cross contamination in your own kitchen!(or wherever) I did know about the manufacturer's machines in factories. Guess I should have made the connection but this is new to me (not the misery but the being gluten free). Good luck ..I've started using glass jars and containers as well ... just because my tupperware is old and DH has fits when he can't find a matching top ...the few times he looks !
Annabelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
I am a highly reactive celiac and because I'm note 100% sure how well plastic containers are cleaned, I have been switching to glass lock containers instead.

Oh - and I've been glutened at work because people would sit at my desk and eat gluten-containing food. It happens.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: velveeta
Stats: 174/145/135
WOE: traditional foods/ very low carbs / grainfree
Start Date: November 2010
My kids have gotten sick from touching the floors etc at whole foods in the bulk area. Flour leaks out of those paper flour bags, too. :-(
velveeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
I am very lucky in that I can get away with cross contamination. At church, my pastor was going to put my homemade gluten free bread on a separate platter, but I told him not to bother! I know that gluten intolerance is different than celiac, however. If I was celiac I would avoid cross-contamination like the plague.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote