LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: glutenfreewoman
Stats: Start: 200 Now: 182 Goal: 150 5'10"
WOE: Gluten Free, Atkins, Organic
favorite gluten free low carb foods?

hi all,

i'm fairly new to this board. i've been gluten free since my CD diagnosis in may, and low carb for about 2 months. i gained weight when i first went gf, which i've now lost low carbing.

so, just wondering if there are other gluten free low carbers around who have favorite recipes/products/food items. i generally don't like anything too processed, but i do love baking with flaxseed, almond meal and coconut flour, though i've cut back a bit because i think they were stalling me a little.

i have yet to find a good pasta substitute (though i do love spagetti squash!) and tofu shiritaki noodles creep me out. i generally subsist on eggs, salads, grilled meats and sides of veggies (deliciously so.)

anyone?
glutenfreewoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lalala
Stats: 183/127/135 at 5'8"
WOE: the foods i love!! :P
Start Date: Feb 2009
Hi there..

I'm in SF and eat gluten free as well

I too try to stay away from anything that's too processed. My diet is composed mainly of meats, veggies, dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt), and fats (olive oil, lots of nuts and nut butters, avocado etc).

I do love healthy food so I try to keep things simple for myself. I rarely use items from a jar besides pasta sauce and mayo type products. When I do use these items I make sure they're labeled gluten free.

As for a pasta type meal..I love spaghetti squash as well. I just ate a ton of it last week. I post lots of my recipes and food intake in my journal link below. You should check it out if you're interested.

Plus I think it's better to stick to basics and natural things because then there is less room for incorporation of unnatural and artificial products. Sounds like you've been doing great thus far.

Also you should definitely check out Rainbow Grocery at 14th and Folsom. I love that place. They have an amazing selection of natural foods as well as a variation of nuts and nut butters in bulk.

"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"....lalala's journey to goal
lalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Gallery: Houston Heather
Stats: 228/166/160 Waist: 42/31/31
WOE: Atkins 2002 Ongoing Weight Loss/pre maintenance
Start Date: Feb 26, 2008 (second and last time)
Whole Foods always has a lot of alternate products, but maybe too processed. I need to check mine out for some more flax seed.

Have you heard of the One Minute Muffin? I eat at least one a day.

1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 t baking powder
[optional 1/4 t cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, plus 1 t splenda]
1 T butter
1 large egg

Melt the butter in a small microwave container (I use a 10 ounce pyrex thing). Mix the dry stuff. Crack the egg into the butter and mix with a fork - stir it up really good. Add the dry stuff, blend until well mixed. Put it in the microwave for ONE MINUTE - hence the name.

Eat steaming hot... or let it cool a bit. Good as a sandwich, good with cheese inside, good cut in half with an egg in it, you get the idea. It really hits my bready spot.

And no hives! I memorized the recipe after my first bite. A great way to get fiber into your diet, too.
Houston Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

rainbow grocery

yes, i love that place. coupon day gets CRAZY! can't wait to see what they come up with next year.

right now i have a batch of coconut flour muffins with an almond flour streusel topping in the oven. i use erythritol & stevia to sweeten.

heather, that muffin sounds good. i've never tried it, though i've seen similar recipes before. i do like to make bread & crackers from flax, usually based on laura dolson's recipes.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
If you'd like to share your gluten free recipes, feel free to upload your recipes to our Recipe Room at Gluten-Free - LowCarbFriends Recipes.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

my recipes are gluten free and low carb!

but thanks for replying!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Netrition has made it easier to find gluten free foods with a newly designed Gluten Free Products page at Netrition.com's Gluten Free Products.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChickenJr
Stats: Pant size: 13/3/3 I made it!!
WOE: Gluten free Somersizing
Start Date: January 2009
My absolute favorite low carb gluten free food is pizza made with a cauliflower crust! I found the recipe here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...zza-crust.html
I make it all the time, it sounds funny at first but it's soo good and very easy to put your own spin on the recipe. I use about half the cheese she calls for and add lots of garlic and cayanne pepper to the crust mix before I bake it. Then I top it with bacon, jalapenos, green peppers, onions and lots of pepper jack cheese. I haven't been able to make it crispy enough to eat it by the slice but when it tastes this good I don't mind having to use a fork! I always triple the recipe as my whole family devours it whenever I make it!
ChickenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennmc31
Stats: 216/150/120
WOE: atkins/low carb/gluten free
Start Date: January 4, 2007
I have been gluten free since Sept 09 when I found out my 7 yr old son has Celiac disease. It was very challenging at first but has gotten a bit easier since I've learned what our favorite products are. I haven't tried doing low carb since I began this with him because GF in itself has just consumed me. I lost about 20 pds just from cutting out gluten right at the beginning but my weight loss has stalled recently. So thank you for starting this thread I am interested to learn how to combine the two ways of eating
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Agee
Stats: fat pants/not fat pants/skinny pants
WOE: basic LC
Start Date: 12/3/14
My favorite LC+gluten free foods are...
meat
veggies
cheese!
easy way.
A
Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikendomsmum
Fish?

I needed a low carb/gluten-free sub for pasta tonight. I cooked up a fish fillet and will put clam sauce over it while the family has pasta and garlic bread. It would work with red sauce too and you could use shrimp or almost any kind of fish.
mikendomsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
I use cabbage for my "noodles." Depending on what I'm making, I'll either shred it into long strips and steam it, or stir-fry, until tender-crisp (or a little softer).
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: canadianwoman
My fav GF food that comes to mind first is natural peanut butter. Then comes eggs, fish, beef and fruits and veggies. Also cottage cheese and yogurt.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
I second the cauliflower crust as well! Basically any of Cleochatra's recipes are amazing!
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rightnow
Stats: 482/368/350
WOE: PāNu
There is a mix called Pamela's brand which is gluten-free. It is NOT low-carb. However, I have sometimes added it to "flax bread" type recipes and it really improves them in my estimate, and there isn't much added so when you break it down to the quantity you're eating, it's not enough carbs to matter much. It's a 'pancake and bake mix' so you can use it like flour or in anything. That aside I eat mostly just whole-foods low-carb, so it goes well with seed and nut meals (flax, almond, coconut, etc.).

Food is meat, in my world, so gluten free is really only a detail applied to the trivia I choose to add to my food.
rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Yunalesca
Stats: 198/168/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/3/06
GF/Low Carb Pasta Substitute

I LOVE pasta with marinara sauce or alfredo sauce. I purchased a spiralizer and I make noodles out of zucchini or yellow squash, then I saute them and eat them just like linguine. I also use these to bake casseroles that otherwise would use pasta. Here is what they would look like raw:

For people without gluten issues, you could also just mix these up half and half with some Dreamfields pasta.
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
Yunalesca, those look YUMMY! Where did you get a spiralizer?
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceandiva
Stats: 294/212/180
WOE: Atkins-gluten free
Start Date: May 2008
I'm insulin resistant and have Celiac's so LC and flour free is the only way to live healthy. I use ground flax to make crackers, almond flour for cakes, soy and whey for pancakes, and grated Parmesan to coat fish or veggies for cooking. I happen to really enjoy shirataki noodles--they need to be well rinsed and dried before using them in a recipe. I put the in the microwave for 5 minutes and drain the water. Cream cheese and sour cream are core ingredients to have available.
oceandiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingwilldo View Post
Yunalesca, those look YUMMY! Where did you get a spiralizer?
google: spirooli
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobby_Boomer
Dixie Diner makes a soy based, gluten free (I think), low carb pasta that isn't bad at all, Skinni Spaghetti. Unfortunately it is only available in Spaghetti, as I would love it to come in more robust shapes, like the old Keto brand pasta did. But I'm happy with it.

It's more pasta-like than the squash, (which is a whole different texture and flavor).

Bob
Bobby_Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jammer
Stats: 203/140/139, sz 14/6/6
WOE: BFFM - Gluten Free
Start Date: (w/Atkins) 2/18/2001
The trick to tofu shiritaki noodles is to rinse them well under running water for 2-3 minutes to get rid of the fishy smell. Then, microwave or stove-top boil them for another few minutes, and rinse again. I use Laughing Cow light cheese wedges (sometimes melted in a little fat free milk), add some minced garlic, garlic salt, pepper, and a teaspoon of glucomannan powder to make a low-cal alfredo sauce to pour over it. YUM.

I also found yam flour noodles (same thing mostly) at Grand Mart.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: niadan1962
I'm on an apple, summer sausage and cheese kick now but I also make pho broth with lots of veggies and eliminate the noodles because all the carbs---
niadan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I am a low-carb vegetarian. I am not quite ready for my maintenance phase, but about January I expect to begin. At that time, though my carbs and calorie level overall will increase somewhat, I also am planning to attempt to go vegan and gluten free. This thread is going to be a lifesaver!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MauraV
Stats: 255/221.4/150
WOE: Low Carb + Gluten-Free
Start Date: July 12, 2011
If you check out the blog in my profile, I do a weekly round-up of all the gluten-free recipes that show up on my RSS feed. More than a few are also vegan but all are gluten-free.
MauraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkswan
meat
fish
vegetables
shirataki noodles
fruit
pinkswan is offline   Reply With Quote