Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Diatomaceous Earth & Candida

Hello all !

I had posted my results regarding the Diatomaceous Earth thread on this board from a thread named the same but I wanted to also post in this section for Candida because of the results I've had with it using Diatomaceous Earth and my candida problem.

I'm not claiming this is a cure for everyone but I've had great results and maybe someone else may too.

A little background on me:

I've had Candida problems on and off for most of my adult life. In addition to a 10 yr stint with eating the Atkins way, still I had it to some degree. I've tried herbal supplements for this, Nystatin, coconut oil and they all helped to a degree but only lessened it.

My symptoms have been:

Oily-film on skin that itches (especially during sleep)
Tongue Thrush (coated tongue)
Ears itching w/excessive wax (especially during sleep)
Yeast infections (3-4x a year)
Bladder infections (1x a year)
Little to no weight loss (no matter what diet)

Interestingly, I read in Dr. Atkins DANDR book that if you have candida - almost impossible to lose weight. He recommended taking care of candida first before expecting to lose weight.

So, I decided to try Diatomaceous Earth 3 weeks ago. Please google this for more maladies it can help with. I take 1 tablespoon in the morning with canned Seltzer water in a 8 oz glass. Then the rest of the day, I pound water to flush out the toxins, any parasites I might have etc.

It is very important to get the FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth. Do not substitute !!!

This is what results I've had so far:

Whiteheads or plain bumps on the back of my arms and upper thighs - gone
Leg rash that appeared out of nowhere 3 weeks ago - gone
Private area discharge (sorry, TMI) - gone
Coated tongue (thrush) - (90% gone)
Itching oily skin (like a film) - gone
Excessive ear wax and itching - gone
Lost 3lbs in a week of taking it

If any is interested on the brand or website I used to get this, please tell me and I'll send you a PM on it. It is not expensive nor foul tasting or gross.
It is widely used to kill parasites in our body and is now being recommended from natural remedy practitioners. There is a host of benefits people are gaining from this other than parasites or candida. Just google it and see if it's right for you.

I'm not being paid to say this and sorry if I sound like an advertisement. I would love to hear from anyone that has any results from this in regards to candida and other maladies.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
It sounds like nice results. I've heard many people speak highly of diatomaceous earth. A couple years ago I had candida in the digestive tract which I suspect was there for many years. I didn't really notice D.E. doing anything to it. The things that knocked it out hard for me was oregano oil, and even moreso diflucan.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
It sounds like nice results. I've heard many people speak highly of diatomaceous earth. A couple years ago I had candida in the digestive tract which I suspect was there for many years. I didn't really notice D.E. doing anything to it. The things that knocked it out hard for me was oregano oil, and even moreso diflucan.
Thanks Porcupine for responding.

I'm pleasantly surprised it knocked mine down quite a few notches so quickly. Every body is different and some things work for us but doesn't work for others. I have heard of oregano oil but not Diflucan and will keep it in mind as maybe a last attack to make sure my candida is ALL GONE! How long have you used Diatomaceous Earth (DE)?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I've been using the D.E. on and off for a few years. I keep a 1/2 gallon glass jug of it mixed up in the fridge but I often forget to drink it. I think once the Candida is pretty well gone, staying LC will help keep it away, especially if the diet is alkalizing enough.

In hindsight, I would not take the diflucan again. It was effective, but it is also an antifungal, and recently I have read that like bacteria, there are even certain types of fungus in the digestive tract that are likely essential to life. So I don't want to kill the good with the bad and would prefer natural things like oregano oil, D.E., and other herbs.

The diet is only an instrument; you have to want to use it. ... It is necessary for you to have respect for your body for you to use this tool [the Atkins' Diet]. It's the only body you'll be issued. You've got to spend the rest of your life in it. You must treat it like your greatest possession; you must become a kind of "health nut." -- Robert C. Atkins, M.D.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellenalesa
Stats: 190?/177/160ish
WOE: Starting HHCG Rogue 7/12/11
Start Date: July 12, 2011
How do you take it?

I don't know if it is ok to post websites on here. How do you take it?

Thanks....
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenalesa View Post
I don't know if it is ok to post websites on here. How do you take it?

Thanks....
No, we are not allowed to post websites but I'll send you a Private Message with the outfit I buy it from.

General instructions are:

(1) Tablespoon mixed with water, ice tea, seltzer water or any liquid of your choice. Stir it up and drink it down quickly because it doesn't dissolve completely. I do mine in the morning because for some, it energizes you and naturally you don't want to have problems sleeping. I've been on it about a month now-every day. It is not unpleasant at all - no taste.

It really has helped so far I'd say 80% of candida is gone but the best news is that it stopped my constant heat flashes and night sweats the 1st week.

The Candida isn't completely gone because in the morning, I still have somewhat of a coated tongue but the itchy skin is gone, rash and pimples gone on my arms and legs (I don't get them anywhere else).

You have to make sure you get the food grade as I said in the 1st post.

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-02-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

You shouldn't have any trouble finding it; even the popular African river sounding web site carries it in food grade. Someone else posted about mixing it with some lemon juice or something else acidic for some reason, but then someone else pointed out that it isn't necessary because the stomach is already acidic.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You shouldn't have any trouble finding it; even the popular African river sounding web site carries it in food grade. Someone else posted about mixing it with some lemon juice or something else acidic for some reason, but then someone else pointed out that it isn't necessary because the stomach is already acidic.
I think if you have a candida problem, too high acidity in the body is part of the problem. But it is my understanding that lemon juice, once ingested, becomes alkaline (opposite of acidity). This is from a website:

Lemons are a great alkaline promoting food. Many people ask, “How can lemons be alkaline when they are an acidic fruit?”

The answer is, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. It’s what’s left over after digestion has taken place that counts. After passing through the stomach (and stomach acid) and being hit with enzymes, what’s left is an alkaline ash. Think of fire wood being burned up, what’s left after the digestive fire?

Typically this is dependant on the mineral content of the food, as well as other factors.

Anyway, lemons can be added to water (you know the stuff you’re supposed to be drinking a bunch of) or squirt some lemon juice on your salad or other tasty food.

Another phenomen is that tomatoes are alkaline until they are heated as in speghetti sauce, then it becomes acidic. There is a lot of confusion about this but a few websites do verify this. When I had acid reflux, years ago, I could eat raw tomatoes but cooked would give me problems. A health store owner told me about this.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Right, many acidic foods actually have an alkalizing effect on the body. I forget her username now, I think it might have been Lisa Binil, had a good post about acidifying and alkalizing foods a few years ago. I think two of the main things that let candida grow are having too much sugars in the diet, this gives the candida something to feed on, and not having good balanced gut flora, which would make it hard for the candida to compete (since it is an opportunistic yeast). If the diet is too acidifying it does seem to lend its way to out of balance flora.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Right, many acidic foods actually have an alkalizing effect on the body. I forget her username now, I think it might have been Lisa Binil, had a good post about acidifying and alkalizing foods a few years ago. I think two of the main things that let candida grow are having too much sugars in the diet, this gives the candida something to feed on, and not having good balanced gut flora, which would make it hard for the candida to compete (since it is an opportunistic yeast). If the diet is too acidifying it does seem to lend its way to out of balance flora.
I agree 100%.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Porcupine,
How much Oil of Oregano did you take? Can you recommend a brand? Any die off symptoms?

I was diagnosed with systemic candida back in 1990. My dr. put me on a very restricted diet and it took a while, and then all of a sudden, my body changed. I lost about 26 pounds and it looked like 40. The diet was ridiculous, tho. I've never been able to get back on it or get good results like that.

I try to be mostly low carb but I do sometimes take a flying leap off the wagon. Also, for many years I had used antibiotics for sinus infections and oral contraceptives...and neither of those are an issue now, so maybe I can really get rid of this for good.

Would love to hear more about the oregano oil and any suggestions regarding food....right now, I am enjoying the fruits....My dr. had me on a very low carb diet, but I was allowed to have oatmeal. I know things have changed in the last several years.

Thanks...

Thanks....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Porc: I would like to know too and how it is taken and general doseage. I think the DE has gotten rid of 80-90% of my candida so far but I'd like to really kick candida to the curb. It's been too long I've had it and I've put up with its nuisances and my gyno doc don't want to acknowledge it even exists.

Ellen: Same here....antibiotics for this and that and infections that required more of the same....and it kept building up.

Plus, it's almost impossible to lose weight when you have it! In your case, that must have been a diet from h@ll !!!

I'm glad you're going to give DE a try and I sincerely hope that it helps you as it has helped me. I'll PM you some of the information on it. Like any treatment out there what works for others may not apply to you but if it does a fraction of what it says, then we are ahead of the game.

I'm curious. How did you get tested for it?

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 08-07-2012 at 05:22 AM..
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I was using the Now oregano oil capsules. Those are enteric coated so they are supposed to not release the oregano oil until the pill is in the digestive tract. Yes I had die off symptoms for a few days. I took one capsule with each meal. I also used some other herbals such as olive leaf extract. There are some products available that include a number of herbs to help kill off the candida. A low carb diet hurts the candida somewhat too since the like sugars to eat. So hopefully once they're gone and the tract is populated healthily through good foods like milk kefir and fermented sauerkraut, the opportunistic yeast won't be likely to make a comeback. And if the diet is alkalizing enough to help prevent it in other areas of the body.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Porc. I didn't know they had it in capsule form and I do have some NOW supplements. I'll order it.

Does milk kefir have a lot of carbs? What does it taste like? I'm not a milk drinker and I'm watching my carbs. I'll have to check out the fermented sauerkraut, I eat the regular stuff periodically.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Blue Topaz: The dr. diagnosed it by taking my history and my symptoms. I was tired and my digestive tract was very slow...I was bloated. I am also a recovering alcoholic, and we are prone to candida because there is so much sugar in alcohol, and people who drink don't always have optimal nutrition.

When he told me I had yeast, I was offended, because I had never had a female yeast infection. He told me it was in my digestive tract and that's why everything was so slow moving.

Years later I went to another dr. who used dark field microscopy which showed a lot of yeast in my blood.

Porc: Thanks for the information. I will be ordering in the next couple of weeks (currently unemployed, have to wait to get paid). In the meantime, I will do my research.

How strict are you on your diet?

One problem I have had is that it seems to be an all or nothing program. I was told that if I cheat, I'm undoing all the good work I had done...so in the past, when I cheated, I REALLY cheated...which led to binges....I need to take a more moderate approach. It may take longer, but will be more effective in the long run.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ellen: I think you are on the road to kicking that candida. I wish you the best but I ask that you post what findings you have noticed even if it's nothing.

I hope I don't offend Porc as I know you are male, but Ellen, I"ve had yeast infections since I was "active". Then the antibiotics for sinus infections due to smoking make me take more and more. If I had a cold, it would go into sinus infection - then bronchitis. I stopped smoking 3 yrs ago and no sinus infections or bronchitis since. I have lived and learned and still striving to maintain my body. I am in good health but still I work on bettering my well-being. It's a never-ending committment one step at a time.

We all have yeast in our bodies. It's when it is out of balance, that what causes the problems. I think that some people are pre-disposed to candida and I happen to be one of them.

Stay in touch.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Milk kefir has about half the carbs of regular milk. It could be even lower if you second ferment it for a few days. The organisms break down the lactose ('milk sugar'). I think it may be an acquired taste. No family member I have let try it has liked it. They don't like how thick and clumpy it looks. I don't know, I love it. I use whole raw cow's milk and after about 3-4 days it get nice and thick just like the finest milkshake.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Janny
Stats: 125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 1990
Hi
I also have candida and would like to try the diatomaceous earth. Could you please let me know where you bought it?
Thank you.
Janet
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ecogenie
Candida Be Gone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTopaz View Post
Ellen: I think you are on the road to kicking that candida. I wish you the best but I ask that you post what findings you have noticed even if it's nothing.

I hope I don't offend Porc as I know you are male, but Ellen, I"ve had yeast infections since I was "active". Then the antibiotics for sinus infections due to smoking make me take more and more. If I had a cold, it would go into sinus infection - then bronchitis. I stopped smoking 3 yrs ago and no sinus infections or bronchitis since. I have lived and learned and still striving to maintain my body. I am in good health but still I work on bettering my well-being. It's a never-ending committment one step at a time.

We all have yeast in our bodies. It's when it is out of balance, that what causes the problems. I think that some people are pre-disposed to candida and I happen to be one of them.

Stay in touch.
Thank God that more people are being informed about candida. I came down with it 25 years ago when all doctors knew were antibiotics which just made the condition worse because they kill off whatever good bacteria you have left in the gut. The doctors really knew very little about this condition. I found out that I had it when I stumbled into a health food store here in Jacksonvill , Florida. The lady there had the condition and told me to tell the doctor what to check me for. She was a real blessing. Without meeting her I could of been dead. I had to do my own research to find out some answers to this condition. I had to change my diet to all raw food with lots of enzymes, probiotics, capylic acid from coconut, fortune delight, cali tea. It was hard to stop the sweets but after a few set backs I knew that if I didn't I would never get well. After a year on a strick diet I came back to being normal which shocked me because I never really remembered what normal was. This condition is serious and needs to be treated with diet and not antibiotics. Now DE sounds like a God send for those who really want to get well. Stay with it!!!
ecogenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tonipelli
where to buy DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny View Post
Hi
I also have candida and would like to try the diatomaceous earth. Could you please let me know where you bought it?
Thank you.
Janet
Hey Janny......i am new here and new to DE....just got mine in today from amazon. 1lb for 13.99!! i will start taking it in the morning....maybe with oatmeal. i am hoping for nothing short of a miracle and it sounds like i might get it!!
tonipelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TiredMom
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Diatomacious Earth and Candida

Thank you for the information. I was looking up feeling intoxicated after eating and was led to Candida then led here. I have been researching Diatomacious Earth so this looks like as good a time as any to try it.
TiredMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

It's also effective against most ants. I get ants in the house every spring and was looking for something safe to combat them. I googled it and people say it works, and it does! Makes me feel a little funny about consuming something that can kill ants though.

I was having a stomach ache for about four days in a row, and so I started taking a spoonful of the DE at breakfast and dinner, and within a day or so I felt tons better. Maybe I would have felt better not even using the DE but I think I had some kind of parasite or something and the DE took care of it.

You can sometimes get 25# or 50# bags of DE from farm feed stores for around $1/lb. A common brand is Red Lake, but it also contains bentonite clay (which might not be a terrible thing).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TiredMom
Start Date: February 2013
Ordered my DE today. It should be here Tuesday. I will let you all know how it goes. I have heard good things about bentonite clay as a detox. It kills ants by suffocating them.
TiredMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lee987
Hi Can you tell me what brand of DE you used. Also I am reading about bentonite clay. Which do you think is better the DE or the clay. I have had sever candida for over 20 years. i would like to get rid of it. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the clay as well.
lee987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I have Perma Guard DE for my own consumption. That is a very common producer/brand. I have the superfine powder, I think that's the same as is added to many baked goods.

The bentonite clay I have not consumed personally. I got a 40lb bag of Red Lake at the local feed store, it does say food grade, but I got it more for my animals than myself.

For candida there's a lot of good products. Oregano oil capsules are absolutely deadly against candida.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I was reading about diatomaceous earth recently on a blog I follow. I was thinking of trying it, but concerned it will cause constipation. I guess if I drink lots of water (which I already do) I will be fine. Thankfully I don't have candida issues, but I did read a book once that addressed diet for this. It was the Zoey Harcombe diet Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight.

Basically she advises a low carb diet, but no dairy except natural live yogurt, no vinegar, NO sugar or sugar subs. If you give nothing for the candida to feed on, it will die. Her first phase of the diet to starve candida is essentially meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, live yogurt. No fruit, no dairy, no sugar. Actually you are allowed one serving of either brown rice or oats each day too. Cider vinegar is ok - helps to fight Candida. Onions and garlic are great too.

Maybe that will help someone I suffered from Candida as a child and a naturalist helped me cure it. Basically cutting out carbs/sugar and strengthening my immune system. That's all I really remember.
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
DE actually helpes keep me regular, rather than cause constipation.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Thanks!
I just ordered some, might as well try it!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I love taking it. Helps my candida issues, keeps me regular, makes my hair and nails grow super fast. What's not to love?
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
If you have arthritis pain DE also cures it! My hip had been hurting forever and if I take de every day it does not hurt at all. No pain relievers even needed
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote