Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Let's talk....YEAST/CANDIDA!! #2

The previous Let's talk....YEAST/CANDIDA!! thread has been closed due to its size which impacts site performance.

Please continue your discussion here.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sibylle
Stats: 170/150/120
WOE: HF/VLC
Start Date: February 2011
Die-off symptoms second time harder?

I have been lurking around on this thread for several weeks now and I find it extremely interesting. I have a history of long-life dermatitis and recently diognosed myself with candida. Spit-test was positive and I score high on the questionnaire. Several weeks ago I started the candida program suggested on the "Bee-Website". The die-off symptoms (rashes, itching skin) were hard but I could do it for about 2 weeks. I relapsed by eating sugar, starches, yeast and drinking wine. The relapse let to a massive outbreak of itchy skin and rashes. I am now on the restart of the candida diet for the second time (day 2). The die-off symtomes are far more massive than the first time. I awoke this morning looking like I had developed severe psoriasis oververnight. Even the face broke completely out.

I take 3 Tsp of CO and 2 Tsp of EVO. I am used to this amount of CO since it is part of my low-carb diet eating style for about 1 year. I follow the dietary regimen suggestested on the "Bee-Website" and by Fawn to the letter (no sugar, dairy, starches, coffee, alcohol etc.). Besides the CO I take all the vitamins and nutrionals that are suggested. I do not take any ACV or Oregano Oil at the moment because I do want first to starve the candida out. I do drink lots of hot water and add 1 Tsp Flaxseed in the morning. I also take 5000 cmg Biotin for the hair to regrow.

My question: Can die-off be so terribly harder the second time and what's the reason for this?

Another question would be: Can candida cause massive hairloss and dandruff on the scalp? I suffer from this for several months now and my hair condidtion is meanwhile really alarming.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for any help in the matter.

Sibylle
Sibylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpeedReader
Stats: 166/not sure yet 5'6
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2010
Well I am only on page 10 of the previous yeast thread, it's going to take me a while to go through all of the pages. What great information!

I find the mention of yeast causing problems with hair to be very interesting, as a few years ago I tried monistat on my hair to make it grow faster and thicker. A tip I picked up from the long hair care boards. And it works! Everyone attributed it to the medication in the monistat, but now I am wondering if it was a yeast problem and getting rid of the yeast was what caused the hair growth and not the actual medicine.
SpeedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SpeedReader
Stats: 166/not sure yet 5'6
Start Date: September 2010
Sibyll, I am no expert on yeast yet, but I would bet from what I read on the previous thread that it can cause problems with hair loss and probably dandruff as well.
SpeedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: fawn
For those losing hair, you might go have your thyroid checked out. There is a direct link between candida suffer and low thyroid function.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeebug565
Candida Poster Child

I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, in remission. A couple of years ago, I received FCR chemo and tolerated it pretty well; however, the doctor failed to tell me that it would completely wipe out my WBC thus my immune system. I became quite ill and was in intensive care for a week with thrush in my throat. I was treated with massive doses of Diflucan.

I recall several years ago telling my nurse practitioner at family doctor about an upset stomach, embarrassing gas, too numerous bowel movements. She recommended a probiotic, thinking I had candida, and it seemed to relieve the problem. Fast forward to a couple of months ago. Joined weight watchers (need to lose 40) and found myself eating more carbs than I was used to. Back came the gas, too many bowel movements, smelly urine, extremely dry skin, cravings, headaches, visual disturbances (twitchies and blurring) never feeling full for long. It dawned on me that I probably was experiencing candida overgrowth again. I have purchased some probiotics from a health food store and I have switched to low carb. So far so good. Joined Curves last week which is going good - I HATE to exercise, so it's a perfect fit....quick and on my way home.

I go back to the hematologist oncologist next week for my quarterly check up and will mention my suspicions about candida. I am terrified of getting thrush again. My white counts have been good and stable since I recovered from that first bout of thrush.

Last edited by ladeebug565; 01-04-2011 at 05:03 PM..
ladeebug565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bread_of_Life
Stats: 200/195/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: January 2011
Candida effects female issues

Thought I would post for anyone that may have this issue like I have discovered. Long time suffering with vaginal odor and discharge...sorry for being graphic. Received meds from OB and nothing was working. Through lots of research, I was beginning to wonder if I had a Candida problem. In Jan of 2008, I started on a LC plan of South Beach for mainly addiction to refined sugar and flour. Lo and behold, I discovered my "female issue" disappeared within a few weeks. I have never been tested (not sure if there is a test) to see if I have an abnormal growth of Candida than others but the LC plan cured my issue. It was an amazing discovery! So, if any of you ladies out there that have suffered with Candida and feel like giving up your LC plan, there is an added benefit to keep at it (and not just for weight loss). My 2 cents worth!
Bread_of_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeebug565 View Post
I go back to the hematologist oncologist next week for my quarterly check up and will mention my suspicions about candida. I am terrified of getting thrush again. My white counts have been good and stable since I recovered from that first bout of thrush.
Keep the fight going But, also don't be surprised if they say you don't have candida if they can't see it sounds like you are on the right path now. Did you say you were also doing coconut oil? I just started it this week... Maybe we can all support each other here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread_of_Life View Post
Thought I would post for anyone that may have this issue like I have discovered. Long time suffering with vaginal odor and discharge...sorry for being graphic. Received meds from OB and nothing was working. Through lots of research, I was beginning to wonder if I had a Candida problem. In Jan of 2008, I started on a LC plan of South Beach for mainly addiction to refined sugar and flour. Lo and behold, I discovered my "female issue" disappeared within a few weeks. I have never been tested (not sure if there is a test) to see if I have an abnormal growth of Candida than others but the LC plan cured my issue. It was an amazing discovery! So, if any of you ladies out there that have suffered with Candida and feel like giving up your LC plan, there is an added benefit to keep at it (and not just for weight loss). My 2 cents worth!
Awesome! I've learned so much from reading on this board and after reading the majority of the other thread that was going on candida I'm convinced that it my main problem. This gives me even more reason to stick with LC eating!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsmom
Stats: 223/140 5'3
WOE: Whatever moves in the right direction
Start Date: 2/6/2013
So I'm thinking I'm having reactions to trying to kill the yeast. I am super tired...like pregnancy tired, blurry vision and tummy ache to simply name a few. I started taking acidophilus, coconut oil tablets and colliadal silver this week. My eye is really red and the only thing I can think of is things coming out. My tummy feels upset most of the day too. Not sure but I thought I'd ask if anyone had the same kind of issue when attacking the candida.
pjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmom View Post
So I'm thinking I'm having reactions to trying to kill the yeast. I am super tired...like pregnancy tired, blurry vision and tummy ache to simply name a few. I started taking acidophilus, coconut oil tablets and colliadal silver this week. My eye is really red and the only thing I can think of is things coming out. My tummy feels upset most of the day too. Not sure but I thought I'd ask if anyone had the same kind of issue when attacking the candida.
I don't know from personal experience but from what I've read it sounds like it's a die off of the yeast Where did you find the coconut oil tablets and is it virgin oil? I would be interested in taking them. Right now I use the cold pressed oil in my office and to do oil pulling.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I asked at Super Supplements and they actually had them. It take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. My tongue seems to be getting better but I am still extremely tired and have a rash on my eyelid. I'll be excited for this part to be over!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AprilShowers
Stats: 128/126/110
I'm new here - help!

I'm coming to realize more and more that yeast is my problem.

I've had reoccuring athlete's foot for months now, I've always had issues with bloating, allergies, asthma, headaches, dizziness, etc. Then recently I was prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection, then more antibiotics for an infected ingrown hair. After that I developed a really itchy red rash in my belly button. Weird. I went on a low carb diet without knowing about yeast or this forum. My face started feeling like it was burning so I started searching low carb forums and found this informative site.

Sorry for the rambling, but my question is.... did anybody experience a delay in die-off symptoms? I've been taking ACV, VCO and OoO for over a week now and have been eating low carb for over a month now and today is the worst I've felt! Up until now I've had just a few headaches and body aches, but today my back hurts so badly and my joints hurt too! (I'm only 26!)
AprilShowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

AprilShowers...I don't know much about a delay in die-off. I know that the more low-carb I am the less body aches I have especially at Tom time. Sorry your body aches!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Trying to make changes

So I have been taking Oil of Oregano, CO and colliadal silver and can see changes in my tongue and feels like my system is clearing out but I haven't totally cleaned my eating up. I am getting to the point that I know I must. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with potato yesterday and my body had immediate reaction to it. My eyes got all goopy/glossy and I felt like a slug I had lost so much energy. I need to resolve to get this killed.

I ordered the book "Tired, so tired adn the yeast connection" to simply have something in my hands to help me understand this better. Anyways....forging through this and thought I'd ramble in here about it. I really think it's the reason that no matter what diet I try I can't move the scale. Even Atkins is like swimming up stream.

Thanks for listening- Kim
Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I've been making my way through the massive "Let's Talk ... Yeast" thread and learning a lot as I go.
So much of it applies to me. I was on antibiotics for most of my childhood through early adulthood for recurring strep and various other throat infections. I've had recurring yeast infections (sorry for the TMI), I have always been a sugar/carb addict and was on BC for many years.

Since coming here, starting LC, and reading all the info here I have made huge changes in my diet. I think I am going through a yeast die-off right now. I ache, I am having horrible headaches, and feel drained. The one thing I am having the hardest time with is that I have a rash on my face. I know it will go away but it's very discouraging.
Tomorrow I'll be picking up some Oil of oregano to start myself on the right track.

Kim, I am right there with you on almost every symptom you listed. I know we can get through this!

Last edited by janetsbreeze; 02-12-2011 at 06:31 PM..
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Today I noticed dry patches on my face, red rash spot on my eye and then was a bit itchy. I have not been able to be strong in the eating department but I hope to be Atkins Induction this week and start feeling better. I'm ready because this tired and feeling crazy gross all the time has got to end.

Janet...my eyes hurt from reading through the thread.....I had read in one of the older Atkins books that he suggested simple oil of oregano to help with the candida. It is really strong. I had to empty out some other gelatin pills in order to put the drops in them. I had stopped before taking it because I was burping it all day and couldn't take the strong taste. I hardly have any taste doing it this way and so easy I'm here with you Janet!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm going to look for the oil of oregano capsules if I can find them. I hope that with that and the probiotics, I can get this under control soon and my face will clear up.
I know I sound vain but I really hate this face rash.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Janet, I don't know if all mine is yeast related but my face was super dry and my arms itchy today. It's like each day adds a new element. I have decided to go slow with this. Trying to get myself Atkins eating, continue what I am with the supplements and just swim against the current with how I feel. I have Tom now too but I feel like a drugged slug I am so tired. Gonna be a hard week but I know getting the carbs out of my system will make me feel better by the end of the week. I need to stand strong!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kim, this TOM was so rough on me too! This was my first while doing Atkins and it totally wiped me out. I was not expecting that.

So I got my probiotics, oil of oregano, along with a few other things and hope that I am on the right track of getting rid of all of this. The oil of oregano is in capsule form, so we will see how effective it really is.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TamTam34
Stats: 170/136/130 5'5
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Feb 6, 2011
Hello everyone! I haven't posted on here in a really long time, I started atkins feb 3, and I'm down 11lbs already!
I just wanted to tell everyone that I can relate to most of the symptoms mentioned here, I feel weird, because i thought the "die-off"would only take 3 days to a week, here I am, still with an upset stomache and splotchy vision, also, when I excercise, I get really itchy! I do have discharge, (as I always did) my doctor told me "I just have excess mucus" boy, was she wrong, even my nose has been running!! my poor liver, I had cholestasis of pregnancy for my daughter(5 months old now),I wonder if my liver is just in "toxic overload" I hope things clear up soon, even my bms are light grey coloured.... I feel bad because my body has been going through this for sooo long, years really, and the dizziness! been to numerous drs for dizziness including a neurologist who couldn't find anything, my dizziness is going away though, and things look more vibrant colour wise, and the fog is lifting.... I just hope this die off thing ends soon, does anyone know how long die off can last

170/159/130
TamTam34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on the weight loss!

I have no idea how long the die-off can take. I have a new rash area on my face and am hoping this will be the last one. I'm tired of it.

It sounds like you are slowly but surely doing better and I hope that's the case for you. Are you doing anything to combat the yeast? I just started taking probiotics and oil of oregano.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetsbreeze View Post
Congrats on the weight loss!

I have no idea how long the die-off can take. I have a new rash area on my face and am hoping this will be the last one. I'm tired of it.

It sounds like you are slowly but surely doing better and I hope that's the case for you. Are you doing anything to combat the yeast? I just started taking probiotics and oil of oregano.
The only thing I'm taking now is garlic, it's what's in the house
I heard it works well. I have cayenne too, I heard its great for killing parasites, I wonder if it works on candida...hmmmm

Next time I go grocery shopping, I will pick up some probiotics. I'm a breastfeeding mama, so i need to be careful on the supplements, I will research the oregano though.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mcd50s
Stats: 177/157.5/135
WOE: Low Carb
Kim and Janet,
Try the EVCO on your rashes. I get them on my face and eyes and it helps soothe and clear up.

Last edited by mcd50s; 02-15-2011 at 01:33 PM..
mcd50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks mcd I clean my face with CO anyway, so it's good to know that it helps.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Calokieme
Stats: 275.5/259.5/125
WOE: Low Carb/Whole Foods
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamTam34 View Post
.... I just hope this die off thing ends soon, does anyone know how long die off can last

170/159/130
I've heard that it comes and goes. I know I have good days and occasional relapses. I can say that I have taken supplements for years, and they help, but for me, they only really work when in conjunction with total sugar/starch avoidance.
Calokieme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I have a question about breastfeeding!
I am breastfeeding, and still have die off symptoms, they are killing me!
Now my baby girl has a diaper rash, she NEVER gets a diaper rash... is it from me? What do I do? I have been taking garlic, and today got some probiotics. I've stopped breastfeeding, I really need to get better. Should I give her formula with the probiotics? what have I done! aghh
Old 02-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Micmac
Start Date: June 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamTam34 View Post
I have a question about breastfeeding!
I am breastfeeding, and still have die off symptoms, they are killing me!
Now my baby girl has a diaper rash, she NEVER gets a diaper rash... is it from me? What do I do? I have been taking garlic, and today got some probiotics. I've stopped breastfeeding, I really need to get better. Should I give her formula with the probiotics? what have I done! aghh

Hi TamTam,
I understand your worry. I think you need more information. In my quest for more info for myself in the past couple months, I have found some very informative websites. I listed 2 sites below and think you might be able to find some answers there. Please don't give up on breastfeeding, it is so healthy for your baby to have "mama's milk". But I would caution using too many supplements until you have weaned her. I went to see a Naturopath Physician and was tested for allergies and candida and toxic metal poisoning. He put me on a very restrictive diet. It seems in line with most of the diets I've found in the various books I've read and the diets I've found online, although the one I'm following is a little more restrictive than most. There are also some informative books available on Amazon (just search for anti-candida diet books). I am feeling better, but have had die-off symptoms to deal with and know I have a long way to go still until I'm really healthy. But considering my body has probably had a Candida problem for several decades (lots of antibiotics in my teen years and a carbohydrate-laden diet), I'm not surprised. Epsom salt baths are very soothing and help with the itchy rash.(for you, not the baby) Epsom salt baths help "draw" the inflammation and help your body rid itself of the toxins.
Check out these websites and
Best of luck and health to you!
Michele †
Recipes_For_Candida_Healing : Recipes to Heal Candida

Candida [Candidiasis], The Yeast Syndrome
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
Hi TamTam,
I understand your worry. I think you need more information. In my quest for more info for myself in the past couple months, I have found some very informative websites. I listed 2 sites below and think you might be able to find some answers there. Please don't give up on breastfeeding, it is so healthy for your baby to have "mama's milk". But I would caution using too many supplements until you have weaned her. I went to see a Naturopath Physician and was tested for allergies and candida and toxic metal poisoning. He put me on a very restrictive diet. It seems in line with most of the diets I've found in the various books I've read and the diets I've found online, although the one I'm following is a little more restrictive than most. There are also some informative books available on Amazon (just search for anti-candida diet books). I am feeling better, but have had die-off symptoms to deal with and know I have a long way to go still until I'm really healthy. But considering my body has probably had a Candida problem for several decades (lots of antibiotics in my teen years and a carbohydrate-laden diet), I'm not surprised. Epsom salt baths are very soothing and help with the itchy rash.(for you, not the baby) Epsom salt baths help "draw" the inflammation and help your body rid itself of the toxins.
Check out these websites and
Best of luck and health to you!
Michele †
Recipes_For_Candida_Healing : Recipes to Heal Candida

Candida [Candidiasis], The Yeast Syndrome
Thanks so much for the wonderful information!! It was very helpful!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to update a little. I had a horrible week with Tom but much better now. I am still waiting on my Yeast book but I feel like I am making headway with what I am doing. My tongue is not as white and the scale seems to be heading in the right direction. I haven't seen this number in a couple months as my body just wanted to bounce the same numbers no matter what I did. It feels so good to see a positive change. My eyes are still gloopy and I am still pretty tired but I know that will improve the more I go low carb. My eye rash is much better too. I'm still taking the Oregano, garlic and acidopholis(sp) and I think I will stick with that for now and the Coconut oil pills though I think I will get the real stuff and cook more with it. I heard the pills don't contain much and I know CO really makes a difference in the fight and also in overall feeling/looking better.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys! I got my CO yesterday! helps alot with the diaper rash! I give her a little in her bottle, and rub it on her butt. How do you guys take it? it feels like lard in my mouth...very weird! do you guys melt it first? It tastes yummy though!