Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sooznd
Stats: 288/250/140
WOE: going with Atkins
Start Date: This time, February 18, 2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
Yep, coconut oil has natural antibacterial & antimicrobial properties as well as antioxidant & anti-fungal properties Good stuff. I've only ordered the colloidal silver online, but I'm thinking Whole foods may or maybe someplace like Vitamine Shoppe if you have those nearby?
I did see colloidal silver @ Whole Foods last night, but cash is a little snug at the moment, and had to get Oil of Oregano and grapefruit seed extract worse.

HOWEVER, I took your advice to heart about CO! My face broke out wherever the dentists held my face. (several places) I dabbed a little CO on each of them on top of my makeup, and rubbed a dab all over my face to make it match. I rubbed a very thin coat inside my nose, because a sinus infection and sore throat had started since the teeth came out. Everything has cleared up today, except the last spot to break out. It should be better by morning.

Why do we Americans not know more about this miracle medicinal and food?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Well, I got 7 hrs sleep last night, w/out waking. YEAH! But i'm really shivery cold today and can't get warm, and there's no fever. Begone foul yeastie beasties! And take your evil toxins w/you. I'm home from work one more day, because I'm absolutely exhausted. This should all be settled by Monday, because I HAVE to work then. Thank God my boss is understanding!
sooznd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

The only symptom left is foot pain, and that was from before yeast. It's just worse with die-off. I also managed to lose down 4 pounds in the last 4 days. Did I hear a WHOOSH!?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rosehip
Stats: 217/194.5/145 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC Jan 2012/ JUDDD May 2012
Hi all...

Just wanted to jump in here and ask a question. My naturopathic doctor diagnosed me with candida (I am also allergic to yeast). I have been on strict induction since April 11th - yesterday and today I noticed itchy hives all over my legs (and today some on my feet).

Is this considered a sign of candida die-off? In the past I would regularly get hives like this but haven't had them since I cut out eggs in January (allergic) and went low carb.

BTW - I take a probiotic and eat coconut oil daily.
rosehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Nice job, Sooz! I don't know why we aren't taught more about the natural healing properties of some of these things! I decided to stop using CO on my face until after the kiddo graduates in a month or so. There are just too many things going on every weekend until then and beyond, really and I can't take the horribly dry patchy skin it seemed to cause, so I'm taking it fairly easy with my yeast battle because of the symptoms for now. Weight loss as slowed to a near halt, of course

Rosehip, this process is all pretty new to me, but I would guess yes. Since you're familiar with allergies, you know when you can wait a couple of days and see how it goes and when you need to get into the doc. Hope you get relief soon, though!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Rosehip, I agree with misscobi that it sounds like it could be, but honestly, I never knew much about any of this until February. I had a severe yeast infection, googled, and found this site. If you and your doctor could read over the old thread, there's so much information there.

I have to do coconut oil, apple cider vinegar (with the mother), grapefruit seed extract, oil of oregano, and be strict with my carbs. Other people do less and other people use other chemicals/herbs/treatments. There's also foods/substances that trigger it in different people.

For me, it's antibiotics. The last round happened because of licking a bunch of envelopes that had an antimicrobial treatment added to the adhesive. I saw the fine print on the envelopes, but didn't think much abt it. Within 8 to 12 hours I was completely engulfed in a massive yeast reaction. Die off symptoms seem to vary tremendously from person to person, but a rash of some sort or even more than one kind at a time seem common among us.

My point is that you and your doctor will have to learn more about this. Usually, it seems, the patient has to figure it out and then convince the doctor, unfortunately. See if you can find the old thread to read.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

misscobi, it's so weird how everything works so differently on other people. CO heals places on my face. Yeah, die-off can be rough enough to make you slow down. I've throttled back before, too, when I couldn't take it. But you're right. Weightloss just stops. Hang in there!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rosehip
Stats: 217/194.5/145 - 5'10"
Start Date: LC Jan 2012/ JUDDD May 2012
Thanks for the input, everyone! I, too, am very sensitive to antibiotics plus a few other triggers that would cause me to have yeast reactions.

I guess it really is a case of YMMV. I have read the majority of this thread (and the one before) and it is great that so many people are sharing their experiences because candida is a tricky thing to pin down

As an aside, when I lived in France the pharmacist at the time gave me a product that is basically like a pH balancing body wash (except it's not made of soap). It kills yeast organisms and gave a lot of relief - returning your pH to a more alkaline level (unfriendly to yeast growth).

On our last trip to France in October, I had to take a course of antibiotics and so had a yeast reaction and got the same product. It's called Hydralin Gyn and is made by Bayer. It comes in a 2 pack -one bottle for severe cases and one for daily use. Anyway, I know it's a bit off beat that I am mentioning a product that is for sale in France...but...if you're ever there on vacation...it's absolutely worth picking up lol. I have been using the bottle I have in sparing amounts for the candida die off when it's been rough lately.

Last edited by rosehip; 04-25-2012 at 07:44 AM..
rosehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #249
hez
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hez
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/02/2012
So, I have been reading the first Candida thread for a couple of days (seriously), and I've made it through page 39. Still have a long way to go. Interested to see if any of the original posters (or anyone) actually experienced improvement after the whole CO/ACV/Dairy free regimen.

I think I've probably got a candida problem. The first house my husband and I lived in 3 years ago had a problem with the water supply. We were both just getting constant ear infections and we were on round after round of anti-biotics. Then, in 2010 I had a pregnancy that culminated in a c-section where they had me hooked up to an antibiotic IV. I've had UTIs, yeast infections, and even a round of athlete's foot since then. Never experienced any of those things in the first 30 years of my life.

What finally got me clued in that this might be a candida problem was a bad case of what appears to be dyshidrotic eczema, or "dysidrosis". It presents mostly as a rash on the hands and/or feet. Like this...

I've also had on and off bouts of red, irritated, "chapped" skin around my mouth. The itching and discomfort from that has me considering home finger amputation.

I went out yesterday and got some Nutiva EVCO & Bragg's ACV. I'm also jumping into the diet with both feet. Here's hoping for some relief.

Last edited by hez; 05-03-2012 at 12:59 PM..
hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

That's a good question re long term effectiveness. Any takers?
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicalSerenade
Stats: 212/205/130
Start Date: April 14, 2012
I have spent weeks reading through both of these threads, whew. I had EVCO anyway and started that with Atkins, cut out all cheese ( still use 2tbsp of heavy cream a day), and bought some good ACV. One question I haven't seen answered here or on the Bee site was how long do you have to do this?! Months? Years? Forever?
TropicalSerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

I dunno abt others. For me, I can tell a big difference in the current lack of yeast. I'll have to stick to the LC for life, but I've cut back some on the yeast treatments. All I'm doing now if grapefruit seed extract 2 x a day and CO in my coffee most mornings. That's working for now. Come on other posters and speak up here, please. we all learn from each other.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
I'm pretty much status quo, which is why I haven't really been saying anything. The insane itchiness has been gone for awhile, but I can not use CO on my face w/out really breaking out. That tells me there is still something weird going on, but for now it's still not worth figuring out. I want clear skin for a few weeks! Had clear skin last weekend, decided to try using the EVCO on my face again Monday or Tuesday and it's been horrible the last few days. Dry, flakey and broken out. bah. So yeah, just kind of hanging in there. Low carb keeps the yeasties at bay, but it's still something I know I'm really going to have to tackle in earnest in the future. Wish I was more help...
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #254
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TropicalSerenade
Stats: 212/205/130
Start Date: April 14, 2012
I did go back and comb through this website again: Curing Candida, How to Get Started

It says to treat 1 month for every year you've had a candida problem, for a lot of people it will be since they were born. I probably have had it since birth or close to it since I had horrendous ear infections as an infant and was on antibiotics every month, I've have several surgeries and have exhibited signs that I can remember back to Elementary school. I would have to be consistantly treating for 2.5 years (I'm 30)!
TropicalSerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Subscribing! Thank god for LCF. It just occurred to me yesterday that I may have a candida problem, and I was able to come here and get started learning some helpful information. I just turned 26, and for the last several months I have developed acne, newly worsened depression, constant fatigue, and digestive issues among other things.
This seems to have started developing after I brought on the wheat and sugar in September '11 and started drinking alcohol again. It has progressively gotten worse even after going LC, but still drinking a couple times a week. My acne is starting to clear up thanks to LC. But I got sick a few weeks ago and then developed a breast infection and I have put on ten pounds in two weeks(that's on two weeks of Atkin's induction!). Nothing is helping and I crave sugar and alcohol every day.
I ordered some probiotics today and I know I need to cut out alcohol completely but it's REALLY hard, I don't know why I am craving it so much. It is driving me crazy.
Any insight or advice?
I have read I have to cut off alcohol and sugar to help this problem, but is there anything else I should know?
Also, almost every day for the past week I've been getting about 2 TBS CO in my coffee. Is caffeine ok? I'm going to try to increase my CO intake.

Last edited by mamabear6; 05-08-2012 at 07:13 PM..
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #256
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear6 View Post
Subscribing! Thank god for LCF. It just occurred to me yesterday that I may have a candida problem, and I was able to come here and get started learning some helpful information. I just turned 26, and for the last several months I have developed acne, newly worsened depression, constant fatigue, and digestive issues among other things.
This seems to have started developing after I brought on the wheat and sugar in September '11 and started drinking alcohol again. It has progressively gotten worse even after going LC, but still drinking a couple times a week. My acne is starting to clear up thanks to LC. But I got sick a few weeks ago and then developed a breast infection and I have put on ten pounds in two weeks(that's on two weeks of Atkin's induction!). Nothing is helping and I crave sugar and alcohol every day.
I ordered some probiotics today and I know I need to cut out alcohol completely but it's REALLY hard, I don't know why I am craving it so much. It is driving me crazy.
Any insight or advice?
I have read I have to cut off alcohol and sugar to help this problem, but is there anything else I should know?
Also, almost every day for the past week I've been getting about 2 TBS CO in my coffee. Is caffeine ok? I'm going to try to increase my CO intake.
From everything I've read, a lot of alcoholics probably have a candida problem and don't know it. What type of alcohol are you drinking? I'm sorry to say that you do need to stop it and sugar, wheat, starchy veggies, and dairy along with no vinegar,etc. There are lots of websites with lists of foods to avoid and foods you can have.
Here is a good one: Candida Diet There are also some great books on it.

Basically, eating clean, like non-processed meats (preferably grass fed), fresh vegetables,mainly the green leafy vegetables, lots of water, and very little to no fruit.

Some say not to have coffee or at least have organic coffee. I haven't bought any yet and I've been drinking regular coffee. I just can't give it up yet

You are doing great by starting probiotics. You were probably on antibiotics with your breast infection right? That might have made the candida grow out of control and that might have started your cravings.

There are some great herbals that can kill candida. Garlic is one. Caprylic acid, grapefruit seed extract, oil of oregano. Rainbow Light has a combo pill called Candida Cleanse (I think) that is great. It smells awful and tastes like grass

Right now, I'm just taking garlic pills and using CO.

Hope this helps
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #257
Blabbermouth!!!

Also, I'm reading a book about food sensitivities and one thing that stuck in my mind so far is that table salt has corn products in it and many are sensitive to that. That website I posted about says it's ok to use sea salt. There are many hidden things that can feed candida in products, so we must be careful. I'm going to print off that list and try to follow it religiously. I have to get rid of the cravings and the rash, not to mention the brain fogginess, headaches, joint pain, etc. etc....
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Re: vinegar, I think Apple Cider Vinegar, with the mother, is recommended to help for some people. You can tell it because it's cloudy, not clear. It helped me in the beginning. I added a tablespoon to a glass of water each morning. Now I don't want it, except maybe in a homemade salad dressing.

I think you are smart to recognize that the alcohol craving is a physical response and not a moral failure of some sort. You are trying to deal wiht it in a productive manner, and take responsbility for dealing with it as one of the health issues.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #259
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooznd View Post
Re: vinegar, I think Apple Cider Vinegar, with the mother, is recommended to help for some people. You can tell it because it's cloudy, not clear. It helped me in the beginning. I added a tablespoon to a glass of water each morning. Now I don't want it, except maybe in a homemade salad dressing.

I think you are smart to recognize that the alcohol craving is a physical response and not a moral failure of some sort. You are trying to deal wiht it in a productive manner, and take responsbility for dealing with it as one of the health issues.

Yes, that's ok to take and can actually kill off candida. I can't stand it at all. I've tried it several ways and i gag. Regular vinegar or foods soaked in vinegar are bad for candida. For instance, pickles or vinegar based salad dressings.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

I wonder if pickles made with the unrefined vinegar would be okay. The problem is all my recipes except dill require sugar. I don't know the canning protocols for making pickles with other sweetners.

I love my coleslaw dressing w/mayo, mustard, ACV, and a dash of sweetner and cracked pepper, thinned w/ HWC. Unthinned, it makes a good dip.

However, I grew up on pickles and vinegar things, so I'm more used to it.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #261
Blabbermouth!!!

I love pickles

What type of mayo do you use? So many condiments have sugar and other preservatives I can't have
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Well, Im addicted to Miracle Whip, but any decent mayo spiked w/ ACV and a touch of sweetner would probably work to replace it. Helman's is good, but some store brands are good. Now my aunt is a purist and makes her own mayo in seconds w/ a blender. I'm happy to buy it.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #263
Blabbermouth!!!

I love Miracle Whip too. It has vinegar, soy (bad for my thyroid), and modified food starch which could be from corn and I'm trying to avoid. That's all that I can remember off the top of my head right now. Maybe when I get past all of this I can have it again in small amounts. Oh yeah, it has sugar in it. Can't believe I forgot that one

Last edited by Star73; 05-08-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

If you want to make your own mayo, the recipe should be available online. I would recommend an egg substitute to raw eggs, for safety. It only took her a few minutes to make a pint at a time. LOL Maybe I'll try it myself.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #265
Blabbermouth!!!

I remember seeing them making it by scratch on Top Chef and they used vinegar and egg whites and whipped them to death Idk if it could be made without vinegar. I'm fine without it. I need to be careful and not have things that will make my cravings worse and definitely need to avoid sugar and vinegar.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Certainly. I have learned a lot on this thread, especially how differentlyh everyone has to treat their bodies. It's all about knowing yourself and listening to your body. Just don't stop trying to find good foods that are both healthy and satisfying for you.

I've learned I like unsweetened tea. That will save me some tasty but unnatural chemicals. I've already had cancer once, and have to make quality choices.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Well I have been alcohol-free for 5-6 days now, have had no sugar or anything off the list of no-no's for candida. I am feeling better and sleeping better at night, but I also am very tired and lethargic most of the day. I've been taking probiotics for about 4 days.
Saturday my fiance got me a food scale and a food processor (I'd been talking about buying them). So I started weighing my food to count calories properly. He wants to join me on this journey so the food processor will come in handy for making our own mayo and hot sauce and other things.
I DO have some of that "with the mother" ACV, the Bragg's brand. I love that stuff, I mix a little in with water sometimes. Need to start doing that more often.
SO far, I went from 140lbs on the 11th, to 134lbs this morning.
I had a blemish flare-up on my face today. Before today my skin had been doing much better. I also have not been as... regular.. as I used to be. I was having issues before I cut this stuff out. It's gotten a little better but I wish I could GO more :/ Other than that and the lethargy I am very pleased with my progress.
I plan to continue this for a long time. I had been wanting to cut out dairy and other things for quite some time and go Paleo, so I've finally done it and I am happy
Thank you so much for your replies, I still have several pages of these 2 threads to read through!
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #268
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pig2twig
Start Date: 25.4.12
I'm on week 3 of the Candida diet and though it's tough and sooo restrictive, it will be worth it if I can beat this thing!
I've found some sausages that are gluten free (maize flour, rice flour, chickpea flour) - does anyone know if these would be safe to eat?
Pig2twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becominglex
Stats: 148/148/130
WOE: modified anti-candida diet
Start Date: Friday, May 25th, 2012 (back on the horse)
Hello, just joined (sorry pig2twig, I can't tell you about the sausages however I do know that despite what a lot of websites say, animal proteins make the body overall more acidic and candida thrives in an acid environment). Candida also puts huge stress on the liver... I really recommend everybody check out a book called "The Liver and Gallbladder miracle cleanse" by Andreas Moritz (I can't drink the apple juice obviously, or take the unsweetened cranberry so I am using apple cider vinegar)... I recently quit smoking and drinking and am finally really committed to really beating this thing (I have had severe Candidiasis for about 4.5 years following a leg infection and very strong IV antibiotics and a shoddy diet- I had heard of candida but never thought my "spaciness" and "feeling high and dream-like" could be it, and chalked up the fatigue, belly bloating, etc to depression. I am looking forward to sharing what I have learned and getting feedback from people on the same journey.
becominglex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #270
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig2twig View Post
I'm on week 3 of the Candida diet and though it's tough and sooo restrictive, it will be worth it if I can beat this thing!
I've found some sausages that are gluten free (maize flour, rice flour, chickpea flour) - does anyone know if these would be safe to eat?
I would try to avoid all grains if possible. Some sausages also have hidden sugars in them, so read the labels and anything that ends in-ose like glucose, fructose, etc, avoid...