LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tylar
Stats: 180/180/??? 5'7" 48
WOE: SB/301
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Hi all,

I'm Tylar and I've had Candida for years - officially diagnosed about ten years ago, but symptoms go back to infancy. I've been lurking here for a few days, reading this thread and the previous one.

I'm finally ready to do something about my yeast problem, and also get rid of this excess weight. Mostly, I just want to feel good and start living again. I'm so TIRED of being TIRED!!!

As I sit here at work, trying to focus, feel good and stay awake yet again, I think about how very strong we all are. For years I beat myself up, thinking I was so weak willed... when, in fact, look at the determination it takes to remain happy and productive at all with this horrid condition.

I'll be starting my anti-candida plan on Monday (once Easter gatherings are over). I want my life back!

Blessing to all.
Tylar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Hi Tylar and welcome. I wish you much success on your anti-candida journey. Keep us posted on what you are doing and how it's going.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #213
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: libbyonthelabel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylar View Post

As I sit here at work, trying to focus, feel good and stay awake yet again, I think about how very strong we all are. For years I beat myself up, thinking I was so weak willed... when, in fact, look at the determination it takes to remain happy and productive at all with this horrid condition.

Blessing to all.
I couldn't agree with this more. It is so frustrating to see all the self beating up that goes on after a failed 'diet' attempt. But there is so much going on inside the body we don't naturally know about that impedes us. Oh the wasted time!

Good Luck Tylar!
libbyonthelabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyonthelabel View Post
But never any popping or whteheads, nothing like that and it was exremely dry! I can;t stress this enough, my face was constantly peeling. Some days it was impossible to mask it and I wouldn't want to leave the house. It would cycle through, mostly had it and then it would go away for a day and come back.
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Huge congrats on the new found weight loss! My face has been doing this as well. It's really annoying. I had been using coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer, but stopped that this week and it's better, but still not great.

Welcome, Tyler, and good luck with your journey. I'm going to step it up a bit on Monday, too, by adding some grape seed extract. We'll see how it goes.
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the hospitality, Tami, Libby and Katt. I've noticed that folks on LCB are particularly nice and welcoming.

I'm excited to move forward toward health beginning Monday, but I know it won't be easy. It's encouraging to read your stories and see your progress.

Like most everyone here, I'm a life-long, "professional" dieter. Since my teens, I counted calories and felt proud when I starved myself with low calorie/high-carb/low fat diets like we were taught. Who knew how sick we would become like that?

A couple of years ago I joined OA, and my sponsor finally convinced me that maybe all those carbs were my real problem. Once it clicked, I easily lost about 40 pounds eating low carb. That is, until someone convinced me how "unhealthy" it was for me, and how much I "deserved" to treat myself with sugar sometimes.

Well, I regained those 40 pounds, plus 10 more. My cravings and yeast symptoms have returned with a vengeance. It's time to revisit that feel-good place of energy and good health!

Last edited by Tylar; 04-06-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sooznd
Stats: 288/250/140
WOE: going with Atkins
Start Date: This time, February 18, 2012.
well, I've been doing much better, but today was not so great. There's lots of possible reasons, like staying up to late, being prone to depressive episodes, foods I've eaten. But at least the episodes are much farther apart and don't last as long. I'm out of oil of oregano at the moment. The weight is still not budging at all!

Tylar, welcome! You're definitely among friends here! I don'te know why our friends talk us into bad ideas so easily. I've had to be very calmly insistent with well meaning friends that its a medical issue I'm dealing with. My doctor actually did advise me to go LC for life, but he's apparently one of the few who understands.

miscobi, are you taking grape seed or grapefruit seed extract? I'be been taking the second one, but it's much harder to find than the first. Does grape seed extract work?

libby and jumping - how goes the journey?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for making me look twice at that! I haven't actually taken any yet, but I did get grape seed extract instead of grapefruit seed extract. I just did some googling and it's supposed to be a great antioxidant, but it is the grapefruit seed extract that is an anti-fungal.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

darn it! I thought maybe you'd hit on something there.
sooznd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooznd View Post
darn it! I thought maybe you'd hit on something there.
Nope, just didn't do my research before grabbing it when I saw it at the store. Bummer. Will have to come up with another plan of attack for Monday
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #220
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BayeuxNormandie
Hello, new to the board and not sure where to post my question. I don't have Candida but SIBO and must stay on a low carb diet indefinitely.

Also taking antibiotics and probiotics. Sounds similar to Candida in many ways, but tends to cause me more IBS symptoms with constipation.

I feel for anyone having to limit carbs! I try to stick to 40-50 gms per day and it's hard. Doing this for six months and very little ease. Is it the same with candida? Foggy brain, fatigue, clearly from insufficient food!

Would love to find recipes that are starch free, sugar free. Sorry for jumping in like this.
BayeuxNormandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #221
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Bayeaux LCF has an extensive, member driven recipe board here:
Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends

Welcome
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Welcome! For me, LC is the only way to eat that does NOT cause foggy brain. For me, getting the yeast settled is what stopped the cravings, has allowed me to sleep nights, and have much more energy.

I have severe reactions to antibiotics. I have to get some dental work done, and I pray, pray, pray, they don't have to give me antibiotics. I get a yeast reaction w/in a few hours of starting on themand anintense rash all over that takes weeks to heal.

On Sunday, I allowed myself to eat several carb foods. Within 12 hours, I was itching and developed a rash all over my stomach. My thinking was foggy all day.

On Monday, I resumed LC eating w/ my anti-yeast routines.

Tuesday, it felt like little gnats were biting my arms and legs throughout the evening.

Yesterday, it all eased up, but my whole face peeled like after a sunburn. Curioser and curioser! Today, it was all better!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Yikes, sorry you had to go through that again, Sooz! Even if the dentist prescribes antibiotics I wouldn't take them until I had sign of infection, like a fever. I'm not a doctor, so take that advice for what you will, but I think dentists usually prescribe antibiotics prophylactically and you'd probably be ok without. Gargle with salt water, maybe some colloidal silver if you have it and swish your coconut oil around your mouth to help keep bacteria low and watch for abscess, infection, etc.

I agree, though, low carb gets rid of the brain fog for me and I'm not often very hungry nor do I often have cravings. Bayeaux, if you can get your hands on one of Atkin's books and follow a clean induction & then move up the carb ladder as he suggests I think it will help you find what foods trigger the cravings, foggy brain, etc. Even if you don't have any weight to lose it's a great way to test for those trigger foods that all affect us differently. And always, if you're hungry, eat
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
Yikes, sorry you had to go through that again, Sooz! Even if the dentist prescribes antibiotics I wouldn't take them until I had sign of infection, like a fever. I'm not a doctor, so take that advice for what you will, but I think dentists usually prescribe antibiotics prophylactically and you'd probably be ok without. Gargle with salt water, maybe some colloidal silver if you have it and swish your coconut oil around your mouth to help keep bacteria low and watch for abscess, infection, etc.
Thanks, miscobi! I already warned them I'm allergic to antibiotics. I had thought about the salt water, but not the others. I thought coconut oil was just something to make my coffee yummy! (and keep the yeastie beasties under control.) Colloidal silver - maybe at Whole Foods?

I'm really worried about what I'm going to eat through all of this dental work, coz I'm diabetic, too. Whey protein and soy protein do not agree with me, so I'll have to be creative here!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Yep, coconut oil has natural antibacterial & antimicrobial properties as well as antioxidant & anti-fungal properties Good stuff. I've only ordered the colloidal silver online, but I'm thinking Whole foods may or maybe someplace like Vitamine Shoppe if you have those nearby?

Can you handle heavy whipping cream? I think I'd make shakes out of it. Have you tried the egg creams that people here make. I did drink them last time I did low carb, but haven't had one in years. You really don't taste the egg Are you ok with artificial sweeteners? I've made pudding & mouse out of sf pudding or sf cocoa and hwc. Oh, and you can make ice cream with it pretty easily, too. The sugar free jellos should work too. I'm thinking just get you through with stable blood sugar & hopefully still low carb... a few days of bad nutrition shouldn't hurt too much. Oh and there's always soup stock. You could make it now and put it in the freezer in individual servings.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #226
Senior LCF Member

misscobi, Awesome advice. Thanks! Love HWC in my coffee too. Also mashed cauli. soft cooked eggs, egg creams. Bouillon - egg drop soup! You've got me thinking now. I'll post tomorrow or Saturday to update on the adventure.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Well I have two less teeth, and once it's all healed it will be much better. The doc surprised me saying I needed to eat Cold soft food today. I had not thought about buying food for the trip, only afterward. While they were doing the teeth, DBF went to the store and got me some Atkins shakes. However, I needed an Ice Pak on the way home (2hrs) and all we saw was an Arby's. A milkshake met the need for a snack AND ice pack, but it was grossly sweet, even sipping it. 115 carbs!!!!! And to think that used to be just one part of my meal of sandwich, fries, shake and dessert.

Hopefully, being on track the rest of the day won't set me back too much or awaken yeastical beasticals! I bought duck and chicken eggs from a local farmer yesterday, and then left them at work. Maybe I can get DBF to run me there tomorrow, since I'm on pain meds a few days.

The docs said antibiotic would not be necessary, but there is one alternative left if I ever need it. I can't remember the name of it, but prefer to avoid them anyway.

Bayeux, have you tried any new recipes?
Tylar, Libby, Katbelly, Dottie, pukka - how goes it?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Sooz, glad everything went well and hope the shake doesn't cause any problems for you and that you're not in too much pain! Glad you were able to skip the antibiotics. Hang in there...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! Doing pretty well today. Consumed with itching last night, but I had been outside in pollen abt half an hour waiting for DBF to pick me up, and then again w/truck windows down on the way home. Pollen always makes me itch and have a rash. I'm rinsing the mouth w/ salt water today, so there won't be antibiotics.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Hey there, everybody. It's Monday again and time to jump back into the fray.

Sooz, glad to hear everything went okay at the dentist. I'm sure it wasn't a fun trip, but you managed to weather it without antibiotics. Yay! Any fallout from the carbs in your shake? How goes the battle since then? BTW, it was interesting to read about your reaction after a high-carb day (itchy, rash, little gnat-like biting). Is it possible you're sensitive or allergic to something you ate?

Today is day 6 of Atkins-like induction. I got his New Diet Revolution book from the library on Saturday and realized my carbs had been too high at about 30. I dropped them to below 20 and by Saturday night started that ketosis experience everyone here talks about.

I gotta say, though, I feel miserable! SOOOO exhausted, headachy and overall sore! Nauseated, even. Yesterday I spent the day in bed watching Netflix. I know it's a normal reaction as the body learns to burn ketones, and that it'll pass soon. PLUS I'm starving that evil Candida, which is surely dumping some die-off toxins. And finally, I've also begun taking diatomaceous earth (DE) to kill parasites, which releases heavy toxins, too. I've worked up to two tablespoons a day, and my itchy tushy <blush> was better almost immediately - something that's plagued me for a decade!

I know coffee isn't technically permitted right now, but right now it's my life jacket. A big mug in the morning, then lots of water the rest of the day. Yes, I know coffee has carbs. I'll count those and (hopefully) quit the coffee once some strength, energy and clarity return.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Tylar, sounds like you're on the right track! Hopefully you feel better soon, though!!!

I don't think most of us ever give up coffee... I know I haven't. The carbs in coffee are pretty minimal... it's the stuff you add to it that adds up, so just be careful there. Also make sure you drink enough water and don't hesitate to use an over the counter pain reliever (advil, tylenol, etc). Oh, and look for lite salt (w/ potassium chloride). It's an easy way to get potassium in which will also help with the muscle soreness. Even being in a couple of months I can tell when I haven't been using the light salt or drinking enough water. Up both and the soreness goes away within a day.

Glad the DE is working well for you! I keep meaning to pick some up for me, the dogs, the yard, etc. but it never seems to happen.

Definitely hang in there. You're due for a nice little energy surge soon
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
It's been awhile since I've commented in this thread. I'm reading "Candida Cure" and it makes a lot of sense. I'm back on a Candida protocol. I started taking garlic and I'm back on my coconut oil. I'm avoiding all sugar and starches. As far as coffee goes, in the book it says you can have organic coffee, 1-2 cups a day. I'm going to head over to the healthfood store soon and get some. For now, I'm drinking my coffee I have here! Can't go without it! LOL!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Tami, thanks for the support and wise advice. It sure helps to come here, 'cuz it's easy to feel lost at the beginning.

I got my DE on Amazon and have been taking it faithfully. It's about 87% silica, which reportedly has some amazing benefits! Hubby just started it, too. And my hostas will be the next lucky recipients (darned slugs).
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Tylar, everytime I get a yeast reaction, it's accompanied by a rash and itching. So are my allergic reactions. LOL The pain med stopped me up so I gained 9 lbs in 2 days!! Drank even more water, OTC med, and fiber and lost some it. The rest is probably from eating off plan the last few days. The shake probably started me wanting evil things, but I made the dumb decision to eat them.

Anyway, I depend on my morning coffee w/ Coconut oil, cinnamon, heavy cream or SF vanilla creamer. The CO helps fend off yeast, and it makes my coffee so rich feeling.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #235
Blabbermouth!!!

I've had something amazing happen these last couple of days and I wanted to share with you guys. My cravings for sweets have gone. I'm so shocked! I've been taking garlic supplements and CO religiously for the last two days and trying to follow a candida diet. I've done CO by itself before and it didn't have this effect. I don't feel the gnawing in my stomach ! I know it must be the garlic. I was reading online and some said their symptoms were better in a couple of days. I believe it. I hope it continues.

The only problem is that my DD said I smelled like salsa It wasn't offensive she said, just that I smelled like salsa

I did a body scrub last night and she didn't notice a smell :blush:

I bought odorless garlic too. Do any of you take garlic and if so what kind? I started a thread about this under supplements but nobody has responded.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Great results, Star! Please keep us posted on your progress! I don't take garlic yet... still haven't added anything beyond CO, which is probably why my weight seems to be at a stand still? I keep putting it off because I have this event or that event. Should be all clear to up my regime and get serious after the first.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #237
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Tami! I've had these intense cravings for years now. I just thought I had no self control, but then reading this thread and the one before this I realized it could be a candida issue. I also have a rash on my upper arms that can be caused from candida. I'm learning so much! I hope this continues to help Let me know if you try the garlic or something else
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #238
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: everystep
Wow I'm so happy that this thread is on here! I didn't think Candida was that well known of a thing.

I'm pretty sure I have it and that it's contributing to my depression, anxiety, and fatigue. I have no idea how I got it, and suspect I've had it since birth, especially seeing as I remember having such horrible thrush as a kid and not knowing why my tongue was always so white. I had many ear infections and bronchitis as a kid and maybe it was the antibiotics then, or maybe I have an underlying heavy metal problem seeing as I am pretty sure I've had it since birth.

Anyways, I have a yeasty reaction to sugars and most strongly to vinegar and fermented things. Athlete's foot, thrush, angular chelitis (bacterial infection of mouth) bloating, yaddaa.. And I've tried to do the candida diet on multiple occasions, only making it to day 6 because the die off would feel really intense (not being able to stand up from fatigue, cold sweats/feeling as if about to pass out or vomit... it seriously feels like what heroin withdrawal looks like!)

But I started the low carb diet today, and am not allowing any starches/high carb sources except veggies of course, so I am so delighted to see this forum and to even hear some success stories, and join you guys in your healing journey!!
everystep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #239
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jumpingbean
Stats: 5'11"/135
WOE: Low carb/high fat
I just wanted to share this, in case anyone is into smoothies like I am. I like to make smoothies with kefir, protein powder (Biochem berries and whey), organic frozen raspberries, a couple of handfuls of spinach, and a little water and stevia extract. I found some So Delicious cultured coconut milk at the store and saw that the plain kind only has 3 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber. It also has 10 strains of probiotics and contains prebiotics. My son and husband both dislike coconut but they liked the smoothie and said there was no coconut taste to it at all. I also swear that I *feel* better after the smoothie! Just wanted to share and see if anyone else has tried it.
jumpingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Rough 24 hours

No, but the smoothie sounds good! I will use that one in the future!

My body went into meltdown yesterday evening and all day today. I think it is die-off, again, from eating off plan for 4 days while I was out of Oil of Oregano. My face still hurts from the dental work, but is getting better, bruises turning green today. (barely visible in sunlight) I got more OoO last night.

But my feet have been raging, my throat sore, my sinus aching above the pulled tooth, and rashes coming and going all over. Pretty much like die off last time. I couldn't sleep last night though using a combo of pain meds/nerve meds. Slight relief at brief times all day (stayed home). Getting better now. I also lost 2 pounds today, putting me back where I was when I went to the dentist.

All I got to say is candida is killer, and I think this will be far more of a deterent to eating off plan than worries about gaining weight. A few bites of apple pie and easter candy aint worth all this agony!

If it goes like last time, I should be able to sleep tonight and be all done by Saturday. (I hope.)

Last edited by sooznd; 04-19-2012 at 07:35 PM..