Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry you're suffering again after the powdered milk. Unfortunately, it does seem like this is a long haul sort of thing

Mine very well could be a yeast 'flare-up' and not die off. I had a good amount of reduced sugar 1 carb ketchup last weekend. I made meatloaf and it was so good that it was about all I ate for the weekend. I dipped every bite in ketchup, too. At first I thought it was just the higher calories of the meatloaf that stalled my weight loss, then I thought maybe that ketchup (a new thing for me) kicked me out of ketosis, but then this itching started a couple of days ago and has only gotten worse. Weight loss is still a concern, but omg, this itching! If it were a flare up, wouldn't it have been more of a problem a couple of months ago when I was still eating all variety of junk food?

Once you started taking the CO & ACV, how long was it before the itching stopped? Actually, you said you take some of the other suggested items, too. Can I ask what you started with? I'm thinking I'll start with EVCO and slowly add the Oil of Oregano or maybe just start slowly with both at the same time? Will have to see how that goes. ACV isn't very appealing to me, though I know it's supposed to be so good for you. Anyway, did the itching get worse before it got better? I'm kind of a do it and get it over with kind of person, so I don't mind a worse 'detox' as long as I'm not totally dying! lol

Thanks again! It's nice to know I'm not alone, but then again I wouldn't wish this on anyone!
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sooznd
Stats: 288/250/140
WOE: going with Atkins
Start Date: This time, February 18, 2012.
It took a couple weeks before I realized things had settled down. I had such an instant and massive attack as a reaction to antimicrobial on some envelopes I licked that I went on full scale attack.

First I went very very low carb for two weeks, with only minimal effect. Then I went online and found this site, read everything in site, and ran to Whole Foods. I got Coconut Oil, ACV, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract pills, and started slowly, introducing one new thing every few days. I tried listening to my body to see what it could handle.

The ACV water tastes better to me without sweetener. Adding just a small amt in ice cold water is similar to adding lemon to my water in a restaurant. Plus I just chug it with my meds after breakfast. The CO goes into my coffee with heavy cream, sweetener, and cinnamon (for blood sugar). Yummy! It tastes very decadent.

For me, avoiding cheese and especially nuts seems to help me past the yeast, too, although not everyone has the same issues. By now, I take the oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract pills twice a day. Greek yogurt WITHOUT the extra lactose is supposed to help, too. My next batch will not be "fortified."

Some of the symptoms I had last die off included a rash on my stomach, mysterious bumps that would come and go in a day, and a little tummy upset. Your best bet is to read a lot of people's posts though to see what has worked for everyone else. It's such an individual experience!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, again, for sharing your experience! Today's looking busy, so it may be tomorrow before I can get to the store, but will let you know how things go.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
check out this web site. It's very well said.

The Biamonte Center for Clinical Nutrition | Health-Truth.com
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
For those of you with the terrible skin reactions, you can apply topically colloidal silver (you can ingest it too) and it may help, it helps me. You can even swab it in your ears or nose with a q-tip if you have issues there, as some have.

Also, i use Coconut oil mixed with either lavender oil, or jasmine oil, with Vit. A oil and use that instead of moisturizer on my skin. It smells and feels wonderful, it absorbs into your skin pretty quickly, so you're not left feeling greasy. I have really dry itchy skin, not just because of Candida, but also my Thyroid condition, so I fill the sink with hot water before my shower, put my CO concoction in there to let it melt while I'm in the shower. Then I slather myself head to foot, rubbing it in till it disappears, and no more itchy skin. And I don't smell like coconut either, that scent goes away, leaving only a light fragrance of lavender or jasmine.

I will never go back to store bought lotions filled with chemicals and who knows what else again. This works better than any of that stuff anyway.

I had the WORST Candida infection after trying a 6 week Belly Cure by a famous LC Dr. It advocated protein shakes several times a day. Well, all they whey protein powder set off a Candida perfect storm that just about ruined a year of my life. I've posted extensively about it so if you want to read about my struggles and what I did to cure myself just find my posts in the Candida threads. It took well over a year to get my symptoms under control, but it is possible. I said "cure" before, and I don't think there's an actual "cure", but you can get it stabilized and in control.

Wish you all well on your journey.

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

I used to have four cats, one of whom was a "tuxedo" cat. Three of them live happily on a farm now. I think the fourth is dead now, because I gave him back to his previous owner, from whom he ran away.

Anyway, wow - a year! That's awful. The coconut oil idea sounds good. I've been using cocoa butter lotion the same way for years, but it's hard to find now. My DBF's daughter uses it and won't try to consume it. I love it in my coffee and to saute some veggies.

After my quick return of the infection, it also quickly disappeared again, at least on the surface. However little blisters broke out all over me in random places again. And now they're gone again! This is kind of crazy, but at least I know why these things happen now. The rash is gone from my stomach, too. What a crazy syndrome!
sooznd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

I luv my little Tuxie! I said I mix vit A oil but I meant vit E oil. hope it all works out well for you.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

I had some skin problems for several years, so I started taking fish/flax/borage oil combo, which seemed to help. Looking back now, I wonder if a lot of my health problems were just symptoms of yeast all along?

Well it's nearly 3 am here, so I'll head to bed in a few minutes. I indulge my inner night owl on the weekends. Goodnight!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Jonika, thank you for the link. Another chunk of info to make it through. I'm now working my way through the articles there and thread one here Good stuff!

Kattbelly, thank you for sharing your experience! What a nightmare! I have been spraying my tummy & chest with colloidal silver. I can't wait to try the coconut oil. I don't know why I haven't boughten any sooner. I've been on this board long enough and read everyone's great experiences with it. I was disappointed in what the local store carried, so went ahead and ordered Nutiva EVCO from Amazon. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be slathering it on and eating small amounts to start

Thankfully, my itching has subsided greatly. It's really just my stomach now and it's not nearly so distracting... wow, that's an understatement! lol It's much much better! The scale also started moving. Coincidence? Who knows!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Hope it all helps you Tami we all sympathize with what you're dealing with.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Katt
Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

misscobi and katbelly - I always thought the itching was the worst, especially if you work with the public. You try so hard to not let it be obvious or affect your work, but you're silently screaming at times.

I think the scale moving is probably tied directly to getting the yeast under control. You've seen it mentioned in several posts, and I know I stayed in place at 280 for 3 weeks until the yeast settled down. I doubt if I could pass a saliva test, but spitting really makes me sick. Yuk! I really don't want to analyze it.

Are there other ways of testing this, guys?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know about tests personally, I just know how to interpret symptoms, iykwim. I know that anti-fungal/anti-candida (which is a fungus) is what has brought my issues under control. Avoiding foods that contribute to Candida keeps me from getting the symptoms of Candida.

I hope someone else can answer your question better sooznd.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

In all of this reading I remember seeing a home urine test somewhere, but honestly don't remember where. Maybe try the link that Jonika posted above?

Yes, Sooz, I can't imagine the itching while trying to work with the public. It would make it hard to concentrate for sure. I actually stayed home from my son's swim meet on Friday as I just didn't want to deal with it. I typically never miss stuff like that, but it was that bad. Like I said before, it's so nice to know others have gone through this, but I wouldn't wish it on any of you!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

I <3 Amazon and the fact that they have a distribution center about 90 minutes away in Northern Nevada! I ordered the coconut oil late on Saturday, got a confirmation email yesterday that it was shipping and to expect it by Tuesday. I thought that was incredibly fast service... but it gets even better! It just got here and I've had my first spoonful. Yep ordered Saturday afternoon, arrived Monday afternoon and got a decent deal. Interesting stuff. Definitely more solid than I expected. I love coconut, so it's edible just like it is, but I'll likely add to my coffee or melt it a little in the future. Cool. Now off to slather myself with it. lol
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Yep, internet ordering is definitely a plus, especially if you live in a rural area. I started ordering clothes on ebay, because I don't intend to stay this size past the summer at the latest!

If you go to the recipes on this site and type in coconut oil, you'll find all kinds of recipes! I was trying to figure out how to use the ACV besides in my water, and remembered a salad dressing or two from my childhood. That's been a bonus for me, because I was getting sick of ranch and Italian every single time I ate salad.

Since I'm in this WOE for life, I better figure out how to make it interesting for life.

Checking out the link later tonight. The plumber is coming in the morning, so I have to empty some cabinets while it's daylight!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, so everything seems to be going fine with the CO. I had a bit when it arrived yesterday and added some to my coffee this morning. The only downfall is that I'm hungry! Like really starving. I decided to take my chances and make some bark like experiment w/out chocolate. It was barely edible, but I ate some and then just had to go make me something else to eat. Sound like yeasties screaming for food? Or is there something else going on?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Well that would be hard for anyone to say for sure. I mean it would depend on what you're eating and drinking, how long you've been on this WOE, how much sleep you've had, etc. Anyone with more experience know how to advise here?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

I restarted on 2/15... so 6 weeks-ish? I last did LC 2005-2007 and was at goal for about a year until a car accident in early 2008. After the accident I threw everything out the window, ate whatever I wanted, and was at my heaviest weight ever for about a year before restarting in Feb. I eat really simple the vast majority of the time and stay under 20 carbs. Breakfast is always my giant cup of coffee (20oz coffee, 3 Tbs half & half, 1 Tbs coconut oil, 2 pkts sweet n'low). The only change today was adding the CO. Lunch I had a couple of hard boiled eggs (again pretty typical-I'm not usually hungry). It's 6:30 here now and I'm just thinking of dinner. Since I haven't had any veggies today, probably a chicken salad w/ lettuce/cukes/tomatoes & ranch. I drink at least 3 refills of water after the coffee, so at least 92 ounces of water at day. Sleep is sometimes ok, sometimes not, never great due to back/neck pain from previously mentioned car accident

Last edited by misscobi; 03-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: to add water/sleep info
Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

So today, being hungry I also added another Tbs or so of CO, a half Tbs of butter, and a packet of splenda (yucky bark experiment) and then a polish sausage. The fatty polish sausage did the trick and I'm not really hungry right now.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Well there are different deals with the different WOE, but I know mine encourages me not to skimp on the fat intake.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

You know, that could be all it was. Let's hope. I usually have a bit more fat at lunch. I knew the hb eggs were on the low side, but thought I had made up for it with the added CO at breakfast. Guess we'll see how it goes... I wouldn't give up on anything this early anyway. I'm convinced I have candida to get rid of and I'm expecting some detox type reactions from the CO anyway. The hunger/craving just caught me off guard.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

So how's the yeast battle going, guys?

Mine seems to be under control, but my weight is stalled again. Still have mysterious rashes that come and go, everytime for less than 8 hours! Yesterday, the smell of the ACV water was almost more than I could bear to choke down. I never had that happen before! Today, no problem.

It's almost like you have to suspend the belief that you know reality, because it's going to keep changing during die-off. Now I have a rash - now I don't. Now I like this - now it's awful! Just roll w/ the punches I guess.

Last edited by sooznd; 03-30-2012 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

About the same here. Still a fair amount of itching around my middle section - stomach and lower back. No other real issues. Seems I adjusted to the CO pretty quickly. The crazy hunger was thankfully just that one day. The scale has been moving again which makes me very happy. I plan to add an anti-fungal in soon, but my sister & her family are here from out of town and I didn't want to start something new while they're visiting. That could be unpleasant

Yep, I think rolling with the punches is all we can do...
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

So far, I'm not seeing symptoms today, and my energy is up.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #206
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jumpingbean
Stats: 5'11"/135
WOE: Low carb/high fat
Hi everyone! I have a question I hope someone can help me with or at least relate to, because I've researched on the internet and found nothing on this particular symptom! First off, I know I have candida issues. I have psoriatic nails on my feet and also had psoriasis on my feet which is temporarily cured by mixing foot cream with Nystatin powder. I also suffer from terrible fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, jumpiness, etc. The symptom that is confusing is the terrible itching I often get INSIDE MY STOMACH. It's so weird; it's NOT on the outside and has nothing to do with skin irritation. It's an internal itch in my abdomen that seems to get worse when I take certain probiotics and sometimes for what seems to be no reason at all. Has anyone else experienced this?? I do plan on going to a doctor soon but just don't have the time/money at the moment. I read back a few pages and noticed people having skin irritation but that's not what this is...
jumpingbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Jumpingbean that sounds miserable! As you've probably figured out I'm new to all of this and have no answers, but I sure hope someone can help you figure it out! I'd probably post in the main lobby just to get a little more exposure for your question.

Sooz, hope you're still feeling & doing well. I've had no issues other than a little itchiness lately.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #208
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: libbyonthelabel
Well, I thought after taking taking taking from this site, I would add my experience. I got so much candida info here, it wwas actually where I figured it all out and did read through every post from the other massive thread.

For the past 2 1/2 years, I was following the Nourishing Traditions way of eating. I had about 100 lbs to lose and while I could lose weight, I was miserable. I was calorie counting and was always starving. I began to research more and decided to go low carb about 3 months. I did Atkins back in 2000, but didn't have the info at my fingers like I do now and the LC flu was awful. But I just thought it was my body's way of telling me to stop. So I did. I have had success on every diet I have been on but I get to the point where I can't take anymore and am starving. So, when I started LC'ing that starving went away and I am like a new woman. I am also a heavy exerciser, so even with that I am not starving.

But then I read about Candida and took the test(s) and scored extremely high. However, I decided I could NOT give up cheese. But I had already been using coconut oil for two years and read on Maria Emmerich's site about Candida Clear from NOW foods. So I started taking that.

Shortly after taking Candida Clear (CC), I began to have what I referred to as a leaky eye. My left eye would constantly tear up and water, right eye just a little, but mostly the left. I was having lots of left side problems. Sporadic left ear ache, horrible left leaky eye and a couple other things I can't remember. The leaky eye went on for 6 weeks. It was awful. And it burned, my eyes would get swollen, the skin would peel. I looked awful. Only half way through this did I think it was possible it was related to die off. I thought I was allergic to something.

As this was going on my face began to break out something awful. Ezpecially my chin. But they were like a cross between a hive and a swollen pimple. But never any popping or whteheads, nothing like that and it was exremely dry! I can;t stress this enough, my face was constantly peeling. Some days it was impossible to mask it and I wouldn't want to leave the house. It would cycle through, mostly had it and then it would go away for a day and come back.

About 3 weeks ago, the leaky eye just stopped. It too would cycle, go away, my eyes would dry out and peel (around the eye) and then start again so I figured this must be a break. But it never returned. And then about 2 weeks ago, my face had a full clear up for 3 days, and then came back and about a week ago, went away and has not flared up at all. This is the longest I have had with a clear complexion, no hivey things, no dryness, I am like a new woman!

And as my face cleared up....I almost began to drop weight. Prior to this I lost 0 to 2 lbs a week. So, I was ok with that. I was anywhere in there. I had lost 25 lbs since the first week in January, so I wasn't worried about my weightloss. But this last week, I lost 5 pounds. I have never lost this amount of weight in a week unless it was the first week.

I can't prove that it was candida die off, but I am convinced it was and it was a miraculous experience. My skin was starting to get blemishy, I figured it was my age and the rosacea and adult acne everyone in my family gets....but after I started taking CC, it got crazy awful and I know in my heart this is what it was.

So, I figured someone might be able to relate to this and it could help.

I am also curious if anyone else has had the watery eye thing.
Thanks for reading!
libbyonthelabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: libbyonthelabel
Also, forgot about the imtermittent heartburn. I read and read about after LC'ing no one gets heartburn, well after Candida Clear, mine started. And it was awful, nothing worked but one thing.....a probiotic. I would take CC and 3 hours later take a probiotic and then on days I would get heartburn, I would take a PB and it was the only thing that would help my heartburn. Haven't had heartburn in several weeks.
libbyonthelabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Jumpingbean and libbyonthelabel, it just all sounds like classic yeast problems, BUT you should check with your doctor to rule out other problems, and you should really read that other closed thread about yeast. Like I said before, the solutions for one person are not the solutions for another. Everyone has to see what works for them.

I can tolerate nuts and nut butters now, but I couldn't before. I see to be able to eat some cheese in small amounts. Whey protein seems to trigger a yeast reaction in me. Heavy cream does not.

When die off got too drastic for me, I put the brakes on the treatment a lttle bit until the die off was bearable. I haven't had a reaction for several days now, and my energy level is up. My weight stays about the same, though, so I obviously don't have it all figured out.