Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: becominglex
Stats: 148/148/130
WOE: modified anti-candida diet
Start Date: Friday, May 25th, 2012 (back on the horse)
ii got a candida program and it said to avoid all bacon, sausage, bologna and deli meats not only because of added sugar but because of the nitrites which can aggrivate candida (also cut out beef jerky, etc- anything smoked, all deli meats, sausage, etc)- okay meats where apparently the unprocessed meats- lean beef, fresh fish, chicken breast (but nothing processed), etc...
becominglex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #272
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by becominglex View Post
ii got a candida program and it said to avoid all bacon, sausage, bologna and deli meats not only because of added sugar but because of the nitrites which can aggrivate candida (also cut out beef jerky, etc- anything smoked, all deli meats, sausage, etc)- okay meats where apparently the unprocessed meats- lean beef, fresh fish, chicken breast (but nothing processed), etc...
Yes, this is best.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Just to inspire you guys to keep fighting, here are some images of candida (in mycellial fungal form, which is what happens when the yeast mutates and spreads through the body which is what causes the neuro symptoms and any problems other than strict vaginal infections or thrush)- die CANDIDA die!

The relativey simple yeast, which is a food for the "good" bacteria in the gut which break down our food mutates and develops "roots" which infect organs and can spread throughout the body- this fungal form feeds off carbs and sugar and is actually what causes most of the unpleasant symptoms we associate with candida (the yeast)- basically it is decomposing your body while you are still alive. Gross! Standard-north-american (SAD) diet and an increase in antibiotic use and a general depletion of quality natural foods (the soils are depleted, etc) have allowed this beast to flourish.

Sometimes I like to imagine this thing is an alien parasite inside me (I sort of like science fiction, especially movies and books like Invasion of the body snatchers) and that the die-off I get is the "alien" dying. It does remind me somehow of 1978's invasion of the body snatchers...

Add in the spaciness/brain fog/derealization that comes from severe candida overgrowth and also die off and I feel like a pod-person half the time (I am inspired to write my own spin-off science fiction novel inspired by my own struggles with candida and the neuro symptoms in particular- I get the nausesa, malaise and other symptoms *scratches* but the neuro symptoms scared me for a long time because I had no idea candida could cause them) *walks into a wall*

Keep fighting guys!
remember, when you get die off (increased brain fog, spaciness, itchiness, nausea, vomiting, malaise, rashes, headaches, etc) you are killing off the pod people! I hope I made some of you smile!

I want you to keep killing off candida! You are worth it!

Last edited by becominglex; 05-27-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Questions for you guys (your opinion)...
would unsweetened wheat bran cereal with unsweetened coconut or almond milk have too many carbs?

Is air-popped popcorn okay with margarine?

many sites are divided on whether miso and some fermented foods are okay (some are beneficial like ACV)- is miso with seaweed okay in your opinion?

Also, if you are counting carbs and sugar grams, in order to be effective and kill off the candida what should I be aiming for in the carbs and sugar categories in terms of grams per day?

Are chickpeas and beans in general too carby?

Thank you so much!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #275
Blabbermouth!!!

I like your pictures above Some candida is ok. It's the overgrowth of it that makes people sick.

I wouldn't have anything with wheat. I'm gluten free and I have reactions to wheat. But wheat bran would definitely not be good if you're trying to kill candida overgrowth. I wouldn't have popcorn either. No corn or rice.

I'm not sure about the chickpeas, but would not have beans, unless maybe green beans.

We are by no means experts here and we are all still learning. These are just things I've learned from reading countless books and blogs about candida. Just about everything says to eat meats (with some exceptions) and green leafy vegetables.

Some say a little fruit is ok. It doesn't sit well with me and I have indigestion and bloating after eating fruit so I stay away from it for now.

Organic coffee is ok, but not instant. Well, I drink instant now and have no problems.

Vinegar or fermented foods is not ok. However, apple cider vinegar with the "mother" is good for killing yeast. Garlic is a yeast terminator too

You've probably seen this site, but if not, it's a great site: Candida Diet

It's one of many sites that I refer to when I need to know what I can or can't have.

Oh, and don't forget about probiotics!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #276
Senior LCF Member

I've checked out lots of sites and you get a lot of different opinions. For instance, animal products are very acid forming in the body, and an acidic body creates more candida, but it dies in an alkaline environment. I am mostly vegan (I say mostly because it is a recent change and I will, in theory, eat animal products that will otherwise be thrown out, etc)... so much of this is tinkering around and finding what works for individuals. For instance, fermented foods- apparently some fermented foods are very good at killing candida because they contain good probiotics, like miso, kimchi and kefir and kombucha tea and kefir is full of good probiotics... but I am wondering if the carb load in some of these negates their health benefits?

I might be eating fish for a bit longer (my sister is a vegan and recruited me and my diet was mostly vegan anyway- eggs are generally not good UNLESS you buy organic because they are full of antibiotics and hormones... that is another problem with a lot of animal products which many people on anti-candida diets forget about. Most animal products are full of antibiotics and hormones and those can then destroy the good bacteria you are trying to grow in your gut to help get the candida under control.... the fish I might stick with while I am doing this, for the good oils, etc..

I am on ************ and I have found that even veggies I thought were okay, like cucumber, cauliflower, brocolli and zuchinni still have sugar in them (and of course carbs) which adds up... natural sugars. And I know I will never totally get rid of candida, in its yeast form, but killing the mycellial fungal form is my mission.

Spent hundreds of hours researching candida over the last 2 years or so, and there is so much opposing information. Many naturopaths say a low sugar vegan diet is the best for candida, an alkalizing diet and I know that when I raise my body's ph (as evidenced with ph test strips of my urine and sputum) my interstitial cystitis symptoms do get better. I do think most of us in North America eat WAY too much processed food and that good fats have gotten a bad wrap, but the animal products issue (especially as it related to being acid forming in the body and containing antibiotics which can actually undo all your hard work)... aghhh!

This is only really day 3 of me really trying to stick to a diet, and in part it is only Day 3 because there is so much opposing information that I wasn't sure exactly what to do. getting bad die off. I figure as long as I don't consume starchy veggies and no sugar (lactose, fructose or added glucose), get enough magnesium, try to drink a lot of water (how do I even know my brita filter is working and that I am not drinking flouride and chlorine- flouride is toxic to the liver ends up forming gallstones and chlorine is as well.. plus they both will kill off good bacteria)...

many of the store bought probiotics are very weak compared to the ones people can make themselves from milk kefir, water kefir and kombucha tea- but if you don't let it sit long enough for the beneficial bacteria and yeast to consume the lactose and glucose you undo your progress... and it is sometimes hard to tell when the natural sugars are sufficiently reduced (wait too long and the beneficial probiotics starve from lack of sugar)....

This thing can be a real headache and isn't as simple as simply cutting out all sugar (obviously processed foods, white rice, most grains, candy, ice cream, junk food, pesticides, antibiotics, etc need to be cut out)... on top of that, many prescription drugs act like antibiotics on the body or feed the candida (such as asthma medications which often lead to thrush even if the person taking them is healthy beforehand)... then factor in that shortness of breath can also be a sign of candidiasis and you'll see why I ditched those meds....

I hope I am killing this stuff off. Today I had psyllium husk, tofu and zuchinni with spicy oil and coconut oil, pistachios (which many say to avoid because of potential allergic responses), etc... I think I did pretty well, but my brain is picking at everything. I am sick of this stupid fungus and want it gone!

As for kefir, I have no way to know just how beneficial it is as I don't have a lab set up at home so I can't actually look at it under a microscope or perform other tests.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #277
Blabbermouth!!!

I wouldn't over think things if I were you. Taking probiotics (store bought is fine), avoiding sugar and foods containg sugar, and eating foods that don't promote the growth of candida along with candida-killing supplements should help you. It can take time. At least this has been my experience. Maybe it will take more for you, but yes, it takes time.

Yes, some asthma medications can feed it cause they contain steroids.

Are you dealing with systemic candida, mainly a gut problem that is causing other problems or more of a topical candida problem?

I don't do kefir. There is a thread here somewhere about kefir and those who are doing it. You might search for it. I'm sure they can help you there
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Anyone doing a cleanse these days? I am on day 6 of a doctor supervised diet with Nystantin and other drug to be added on day 14.

I am doing it this time for IBS and other autoimmune issues.

Anybody have relief from IBS after the cleanse?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #279
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yanchik
Hi, Im new to here.
I have a comment/question. i found out that almonds in almond butter are pasturized. the pasturization process is supposed to kill the mold/yeast. true or not?
anyone's reply would be much appreciated
yanchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I have no idea. Perhaps you could google it?
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twilight
Stats: 225/186.5/130
WOE: VLC/Atkins
I have a question. I've been suffering from reoccurring yeast infections (fun). I've definitely connected the dots to sugar and carbs. I've used Monistat 7 to burn it out, but every single time I've had a high carb day the infection came back. So I've put two and two together and it does equal four. I'm cutting out the sugar and carbs (about time anyway for many other reasons). I read through the threads here and decided to take action. Yesterday, I started oil of oregano, ACV, probiotics, and CO. The night before I used M7. Things were better yesterday, but not totally gone. I debated using it again (I hate it because it burns so bad), and decided against it. Now I'm all itchy this morning. So here is my question(s): Should I continue the M7 along with my new regime to knock it out, or will my new regime do the trick? I also read somewhere that applying CO topically helps the "um" problem. Is that true? Is it safe to put it "down there"?

P.S. DH has fought a large circular rash for years that comes and goes on his arms and legs (he is diabetic). Yesterday, I made him put CO on it. I was blown away at how much lighter and thinner the rash became after a few hours.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I guess no one is reading this thread, but I'll post my decision and results in case someone comes along with the same problem. I decided to forego the M7 and ride it out. I did not apply CO since I never heard whether it would be okay or not. I have been taking CO, ACV, oil of oregano, and probiotics everyday for about 4 days now. I had some itchiness (and questioned my decision about the M7), but instead of getting worse like it usually does, it's started to subside and then pretty much go away. I believe I'm just about totally cured of this particular infection! I'm going to continue my daily dosages.

Two things: (1) I'm taking my CO now in the form of chocolate pb cups (3 a day). This is something I can actually swallow. (2) I'm putting a tbsp of ACV in Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon Spice Tea. Way better than downing it!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #283
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Well, I guess no one is reading this thread, but I'll post my decision and results in case someone comes along with the same problem. I decided to forego the M7 and ride it out. I did not apply CO since I never heard whether it would be okay or not. I have been taking CO, ACV, oil of oregano, and probiotics everyday for about 4 days now. I had some itchiness (and questioned my decision about the M7), but instead of getting worse like it usually does, it's started to subside and then pretty much go away. I believe I'm just about totally cured of this particular infection! I'm going to continue my daily dosages.

Two things: (1) I'm taking my CO now in the form of chocolate pb cups (3 a day). This is something I can actually swallow. (2) I'm putting a tbsp of ACV in Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon Spice Tea. Way better than downing it!
I'm sorry that I missed your previous post. I'm so glad this is working for you I've been thinking about trying some oil of oregano. A lady told my mom to try it for her sinuses and she started it this week.

How do you make your PB cups? I'm trying to find a good recipe for me and my DD with the CO. I may have to try your way with the tea cause I can't stomach the ACV in water
Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I think the itchy thing is a part of yeast die off, where things get worse, before getting better. Lots written on the symptoms in the first thread, although there are so many pages. Kind of novel length reading!

Quote:
I have a question. I've been suffering from reoccurring yeast infections (fun). I've definitely connected the dots to sugar and carbs. I've used Monistat 7 to burn it out, but every single time I've had a high carb day the infection came back. So I've put two and two together and it does equal four. I'm cutting out the sugar and carbs (about time anyway for many other reasons). I read through the threads here and decided to take action. Yesterday, I started oil of oregano, ACV, probiotics, and CO. The night before I used M7. Things were better yesterday, but not totally gone. I debated using it again (I hate it because it burns so bad), and decided against it. Now I'm all itchy this morning. So here is my question(s): Should I continue the M7 along with my new regime to knock it out, or will my new regime do the trick? I also read somewhere that applying CO topically helps the "um" problem. Is that true? Is it safe to put it "down there"?

P.S. DH has fought a large circular rash for years that comes and goes on his arms and legs (he is diabetic). Yesterday, I made him put CO on it. I was blown away at how much lighter and thinner the rash became after a few hours.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

The recipe is in this thread: CO and AVC is Going Down!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #286
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The recipe is in this thread: CO and AVC is Going Down!
Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #287
Junior LCF Member

hi!
im just sticking with the atkins induction. i found lots of conflicting info. there's also some evidence that atkins will eventually kill me! ha! so i was wondering if anyone know what happened to the original posters on the 1st "lets talk yeast/candida" thread ??
are you still alive people?? sorry for being so ridiculous but im worried about consuming too much protein and my kidneys lol
Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

@yanchik I suggest you read Dana Carpender's book, "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds". She explains this stuff in easy to grasp terms. She also outlines several LC plans and discusses how you go about choosing the best one for you. She pretty much follows Atkins herself.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #289
Junior LCF Member

@twilight, thank you for replying to me and thank you for the suggestion. i'll try to order a soft copy of the book today. i only have one doubt, the author's credentials are even lower than mine. Im an RN who specializes in holistic/wholistic medicine. i speak a few languages so forgive me if my English is a lot less than perfect. I do know that excess protein is not good for anybody but if a person's kidneys are healthy to begin with the chances are great that you'll get away with it for quite a while. I am looking to see how people are progressing healthwise who have been on Atkins long-term. I am trying it on myself as well. i do not need or want to lose any weight and i know that sometimes losing weight means you are getting sick. i also know that a lot of our patients do not feel good on Atkins and that the standard blood testing cannot tell or predict lots of health conditions. i am looking for the balance for myself and the patients. i am aware that there's a lot of info on the internet and unfortunately most of it is faulse or not accurate.
Thank you again
Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
12 years and counting. Healthy bloodwork. No problems with kidneys ever.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #291
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: urban refugee
Stats: 180/172/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
Living Low Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanchik View Post
hi!
im just sticking with the atkins induction. i found lots of conflicting info. there's also some evidence that atkins will eventually kill me! ha! so i was wondering if anyone know what happened to the original posters on the 1st "lets talk yeast/candida" thread ??
are you still alive people?? sorry for being so ridiculous but im worried about consuming too much protein and my kidneys lol
Living Low Carb is a wonderful book by Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS. Dr. Bowden does an excellent job breaking down the physiology of living on a low carb diet (and a high carb diet!). I highly recommend this book to anyone who follows or is considering a low carb lifestyle. I refer to mine all the time.
urban refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Heiricka
Stats: 269/263/0
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 08/20/2012
This is a great thread. I saw the first one and was happy to run across this one because 68 pages is a lot to read. It amazes me how much damage yeast can do to the body. So far I have been taking oil of oregano, Megafoods Megaflora probiotics, and have just added Olive Leaf Extract. I'm going to look at adding coconut oil by soft gel form as I just cannot tolerate it straight out of the jar. I saw a recipe that looked too yummy that I am interested in trying out on this thread.
Heiricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Gosh, I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thank you to everyone who has posted, it's very helpful.
I tried to read the other thread, probably made it about half way - lots of great ideas, will refer to it and read more as time allows.

I first made the 'yeast connection' quite by accident - started Low Carb, following Atkins fairly strictly and I noticed the itching in my 'private areas' has cleared up for the first time since I was twelve years old when menses started. I've been diagnosed with yeast infection by the ob many times, several rounds of monistat, it would get better but always be in the background. Often in the foreground to the point of keeping me from sleeping at night. On Atkins, I fall asleep when I want, sleep the whole night through and wake up refreshed!! Also my skin infection has gone away.

I think I've been starving the yeast and would like to do more to inhibit it. I bought some Braggs ACV with the Mother - boy, that stuff is potent! I'm willing to try it mixed with water, are there any other flavors that are good to mix with it? TIA!!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
I think I've been starving the yeast and would like to do more to inhibit it. I bought some Braggs ACV with the Mother - boy, that stuff is potent! I'm willing to try it mixed with water, are there any other flavors that are good to mix with it? TIA!!
I didn't like ACV at first either. I just always put a little artificial sweetener in or mixed it with strong green tea. These days I'm so used to it, I use it in larger quantities in plain water and don't add anything else. I like it plain! Hope you build up a taste for it after a while too
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Thank you, MamaBear! That's encouraging the taste gets easier
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #296
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluey
New

Hi, this thread is great! I'm going through the old thread and this one so i'm sorry if the answer to my question is in past pages.

What are people's thoughts about taking birth control pills? I know this is thought to help the growth of candida but i don't really want to come off it. Will i be wasting my time on the diet & taking supplements if i still take the pill?
Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Anyone have an itchy scalp?? Mine is driving me crazy and my hair (already thin and fine) has been coming out too.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
YES! I have had a terribly itchy scalp for about 8 or 9 years! Nothing I try works. And I am a long-time hairdresser! I do not have dandruff. Do you also have redness on your scalp like the blood has rushed there?

I am beginning to think I have the yeast overgrowth. I have SO many of the symptoms!
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 81/75/64 kilos
WOE: atkins
Start Date: January 2001
I am studying a condition called 'dyshidrosis', and IBS is always a side effect, in fact, it is allergy to a dermatophyte, and if you have IBS, that dermatophyte is Mycelial Candida. You need 28 days of 2million units of sugarfree Nystatin in suspension. After that, 20,000 iu of vitamin A daily for 90 days. don't get pregnant, take with a fatty meal. Spead it in over the day (ie, a 5,000 iu capsule 4 times a day).
I'm running at 94% cure for dyshidrosis with this protocol, 51 patients out of 54 cured. And all those with IBS have had this cured as a side effect.
Atkins/Paleo diet really helps.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 81/75/64 kilos
WOE: atkins
Start Date: January 2001
Becominglex.
Vegetarian/Vegan diets are contraindicated in non-dissemminated Candidiasis...and I've been studying this since 98. 1998. But really only for Dyshidrosis. Doing a pre-clinical trial now. confounding factors are high carb and Vegetarian/Vegan diets and Nystatin with sugar in it. I suspect the pill is not doing any good for most cases, but often just changing the brand/hormone content works...but it is an 'undisclosed' confounder.
carolethecatlover is offline   Reply With Quote