Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicolelynn
GAPS/SCD vs. anti-candida diet vs Atkins

So I have had digestive problems for 6 months. After an elimination diet and blood test I eliminated dairy and eggs (along with a few fruits/veggies). I still had problems so I finally did a stool test a month ago and tested positive for candida and blastcystis hominis parasite.

I KNOW antibiotics and Nystatin are NOT the answer. So I have researched various diets, supplements and consulted with a Naturopath.

I tried the GAPS diet for a couple of weeks, then transitioned into a traditional anti-candida diet (minimal grains) as recommended by my Naturopath. I also started the supplements she reccommended (mega doses of probiotics, digestive enzymes, and anti-candida/parasite/gut healing herbs/supplemenets)on Thursday and already have bad die off. Mild diarreha the first few days but bearable, but today I woke up with 101 degree fever that rose to 103 by 3:00, a swollen right tonsil and a headache (I never get headaches).

Part of me is thankful that I am experiencing die off so fast and hope healing is soon, but I also have researched that it isn't good to rush die off like this. I know I need to scale back the probiotic and I am going to call her about that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I feel torn about diet. I have researches GAPS/SCD, anti-Candida and more recently LC/Atkins. I can't affoard to lose more weight: I am 28, 5'2 and only 98 lbs.

Has anyone had more luck on LC/Atkins than GAPS, SCD or the anti-candida diet?

Plus I feel soooo limited w/o eggs. I LOVE eggs and ate them everyday. Now my diet is meat, vegetables (no potatoes, sweet potatoes or asparagus because I am allergic to asparagus, but I do eat other HC veggies like butternut squash and root vegetables such as celeriac, rutabaga and turnips), 1 small serving of low glycemic fruit per day (blueberries or green apples mostly), nuts and seeds, minimal GF grains and (no more than 1/4 c/day: brown rice, quinoa, teff), some legumes, coconut and olive oil, coconut milk (mine has no sugar), coconut butter and stevia.

Part of me dosn't want LC to be the answer as I will have to cut out so much and will literally be left with nothing but meat, LC veggies, nuts/seeds, co and olive oil and stevia. But at this point I will do whatever necessary to heal!
nicolelynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Honestly, that is your answer--you will do anything to heal right? Then you have to cut out the source of sugar your yeast if feeing on--the fruit and nuts, minimal grains and also HC veggies. I was able to get my candida under control with just an induction type diet way back when I started low carb 10 years ago. I actually started because me and my son were passing thrush back and forth while I was breastfeeding. Just the cutting out the bad stuff was enough to make me well. It cleared right up, within days. I was shocked, literally shocked! I was still able to eat commercially prepared salad dressing, and store bought mayo. Now, not so. Even eating clean I have a patch of skin that is a different kind of yeast, not candida. My doctor says that it will go away when the sugar is detoxed out of my body. She gave me no pills, potions or lotions for it. I am thankful though, because she has me on so many supplements for the adrenal fatigue I am seeing her for. So, all this to say that you might be better off just eating meat and veggies--low carb veggies. NO NUTS, SEEDS or anything that can be contaminated by fungus. I think that you will heal yourself if you do that....and you said it yourself.....how bad do you want this????? I suggest you look at a site called knowthecause dot com. I cannot post the link but Doug has some really good information on his site---it was what I used while I was suffering. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nicolelynn
Yeah, I will definitely check out that link. At first I was stressing out giving up all fruit, nuts and HC veggies..and it didn't help that my Naturopath said I don't need to give them up yet unless it dosn't clear up in a few weeks. But now I feel so awful that nothing tastes as good as health. Now they even taste less exciting because I know in the back of my mind they are probably undermining my efforts. Good thing I love meat and veggies!
nicolelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am sorry it I sounded harsh---that question was asked of me when I was complaining on a yahoo groups adrenal fatigue support board. How much do you want to get healed? I know that it is not thrilling. I have adrenal fatigue and have had to get rid of all food and drink that is stimulating. What the heck does that mean anyway?? That includes no more coffee, chocolate and tea, sweeteners of any kind. Talk about a real shock!! Sounds like the anti-candida diet!! Anyhow, when I did go through the same thing when I fought off candida after my 4th baby was born 3 years ago. So, I know I can do it.....it is just doing it!! It was depressing at first but once you know that it is only temporary and truly will help rather than hurt you get past those thoughts. I am right there with you!! Meat and veggies may not be exciting by at least we can still eat something!! Along with the adrenal fatigue my doctor says that I have a yeast rash (not candida, but another strain) on my forehead. I asked if I needed something for it and she said No, that it would go away after the sugar is all out of my system. Just patience and time now. I wish you the best.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eccovision
Enhanced SCD is better than GAPS.

You should try SCD rather than GAPS.
This link explains why Enhanced SCD is better than GAPS.
Enhanced SCD is Better than GAPS
eccovision is offline   Reply With Quote