Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Candida and Yeast
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Eczema, psoriasis and Candida

I thought we could start a thread about it here.

Yeast causes Eczema, Psoriasis, Itching and Rashes

Here is just a part of what the article says:

Candida and disorders of the skin

Out of all the Candida related disorders, research on psoriasis has come the closest to showing that Candida causes psoriasis. Researchers have actually shown that Candida causes all the changes in the skin characteristic of psoriasis (1). When Candida is injected into the skin of an experimental animal, the skin lesions of psoriasis, including scaling and thickening, develop. The authors of this study suggest that the scaling is a defense against the Candida (1). For some complicated reasons of experimental design, the authors stop short of saying Candida is the cause of psoriasis.

Is Candida found on normal skin? Candida may be found on normal skin, especially in skin folds (1A). Candida is much more likely to be found on skin after antibiotic use, after steroid use or in people with skin disorders (1B).

You might legitimately ask why researchers could have this major finding that Candida can cause psoriasis and yet ignore this result and subject psoriasis sufferers to coal tar, steroids and methotrexate. I actually do not know for sure why researchers would not wish to follow up their finding. One reason I would imagine is that the relationship between the Candida on the skin and the Candida in the gut is not generally appreciated. Cells which are fighting Candida in the gut can circulate and start fighting yeast whereever these cells find yeast. One place these cells might find yeast is on the skin. If one takes a narrow view and only looks at skin, one will miss this relationship. The other main problem is that researchers do not know how to clear the Candida from the gut for any length of time, so even if they did appreciate the relationship between the Candida in the gut and the Candida on the skin, they would not know how to clear the gut of yeast. Unfortunately as long as there are immune cells fighting yeast in the gut, there will be immune cells looking for yeast on the skin.

When the immune cells come into contact with Candida on the skin, the same observations of the immune system being unable to clear Candida completely all apply. The Candida suppresses the immune system's offensive weapons on the skin as it does elsewhere in the body, so inflammation can be prolonged on the skin as it is elsewhere. If the inflammation occurs in the hair follicles, acne can result. If the inflammation is spread more generally, we can see eczema. When the inflammation becomes even worse, we see psoriasis. Psoriasis is the body's immune system fighting Candida on the skin and the immune system is unable to win so the inflammation, a defensive weapon persists.

Itching is a painful sensation that something must be removed from the skin and if there is no other way, one scratches. Your body would love to remove the Candida. Candida is one of the main causes of persistent itching.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #2

Has anyone with Excema and Psoriasis tried the Virgin coconut oil on the skin and internally?

It seems like it would be a 2 part treatment that you need. In the gut on on the skin.

Anyone? Just trying to get the conversation going on this one.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: princess_tonya
WOE: Anti-Candida and Whole Foods
Start Date: January, 2009
I've struggled with excema all my life it seems. When I was 13 I had a rash of little water blister type things all over my hands so bad that I couldn't even go to school because I couldn't hold a pencil or do anything with my hands. I still get them a couple times a month, usually on my hands, sometimes on my eyelids. I recently started on the CO, and when I put it on my hands, the couple of blisters felt better, and went away after two days instead of about a week. I'm hoping that diet changes will help with it all.
princess_tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_tonya View Post
I've struggled with excema all my life it seems. When I was 13 I had a rash of little water blister type things all over my hands so bad that I couldn't even go to school because I couldn't hold a pencil or do anything with my hands. I still get them a couple times a month, usually on my hands, sometimes on my eyelids. I recently started on the CO, and when I put it on my hands, the couple of blisters felt better, and went away after two days instead of about a week. I'm hoping that diet changes will help with it all.
That is wonderful!!! Please keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ceccarp
Stats: 401/365/200 Saw dr on 1/15/09 & back to 400 ugh!
WOE: Anti-candida
Start Date: 12/31/2008
[COLOR="Purple"]My BF has been having a scaley rash on the instep of his right foot. He had gotten some anti-fungal cream when we realized it was a fungus, and then right after I got the first jar of EVCO, 2 weeks ago. I had him put that on it. If it had been me, I would have slathered it on the rash, but he's not a slatherer and I think that's one reason is hasn't gone away very fast. Tonight he said the scaliness was mostly gone and now just waiting for the redness to go away. Another reason it's probably taken so long is because it's on the bottom of his foot and as we all know fungus thrives in a moist dark places. Then there's the shoe environment; a warm, moist place for the candida to reproduce.

Well, time to get to bed before I fall over.[/COLOR]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...G2D/weight.png

Last edited by ceccarp; 01-18-2009 at 01:44 AM..
ceccarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Anyone ever try Taclonex ointment? It really helps lighten the redness and remove the scaliness. It is very expensive at almost $500 per tube and my insurance paid almost all of it!!!
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butternut View Post
Anyone ever try Taclonex ointment? It really helps lighten the redness and remove the scaliness. It is very expensive at almost $500 per tube and my insurance paid almost all of it!!!
[COLOR="Purple"] $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the Wide World of Sports is in the stuff??????? Precious minerals???? At that price it better do something beside line the pockets of the pharmaceutical company execs.[/COLOR]
Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Has anyone with Excema and Psoriasis tried the Virgin coconut oil on the skin and internally?
I have been using it on several rashes on my skin that I believe are from my lyme disease as my lyme doc said it is probably the bacteria getting riled up and coming out. I also use it on my toes because I now have Secondary Raynauds from the lyme disease.

It's a vicious cycle and I have seen some improvement. I tried tea tree oil previously but think the CO is doing a better job.

Also, my scalp has improved 100% since taking CO - I really feel it was a yeast issue I was having and caused my hair to thin and fall out. I am sure the lyme disease did not help matters.

So whatever was causing the outbreaks on my shins is now about gone.....I am using it both externally and internally.

Last edited by Linny; 01-23-2009 at 12:31 PM..
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fatnutritionist
Stats: 328.5/311.5/175
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: January 12th 2009 restart Atkins/March 1st JUDDDD
I have terrible (in my opinion anyway) psoriasis on my scalp, it is relatively new. The other thing that has been bothering me is I get yeast type infections in my "folds" (god, how embarrasing!!). Under my tummy is most common. I find if I wipe it with oregano oil or use gold bond powder, it clears up.
Already getting better on low carb but I do think I will need to cut back on the dairy to get full relief. Poop!
fatnutritionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]My BF had a rash appear on the sole of hie right foot. He didn't tell me about it and I only found out by accident when I happen to come int the bathroom as he was cleaning it off. It was all scalie and looked to me like psoriasis. I have a friend who has it on her legs. This was just after New Year's cause it was after I had gotten my first jar of EVCO. After reading of the "wonders" of CO and telling him I thought it looked like a fungus, I told him to put some CO on it. Being a good BF, and listening to me when I talk about Candida and such, he said okay and put the CO on his foot. He's been doing that all month and it was starting to look less scalie and more like normal skin.

Then a couple of weeks ago I got Oil of Oregano, but waited for a while to start it. I didn't want either of us having too much die-off, so I waited. Then about a week ago I decided that it was time to start the OofO, especially after reading about all the good stuff it can do against fungus. And I started to wonder what would happen to the fungus on my BF's foot. I decided that I'd cut open a softgel capsule, just a little bit on the end, and squeeze the oil onto his foot. It's blended with EVOO so as not to be too strong. After only 3 treatments with the OofO his foot looks sooooo much better. It's amazing!! It's almost all gone!

His mom has the same problem so I think I'm gonna get her a bottle of the same Oil of Oregano capsules I get and let her know what to do with then.

I can't help but think how amazing it is that there is much good stuff is out there in the plant world that is good for us and will heal us whenever we need it, but it all gets pooh-poohed because it's not scientifically "proven". And what kind of proof is hundreds, even thousands of years of use with little or no side effects?? All I can say is look at the evidence of how many people are dying from having chemotherapy than from having the actual cancer. [/COLOR]

Last edited by ceccarp; 01-26-2009 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
That's amazing Cecile!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Some of my symptoms worsened at first, but are now getting better. The one problem I have now is a serious eczema flare on my neck. I believe it is due to me wearing irritating clothing right now because it is cold. I do use CO on my skin, and it is much better. I am going to try the Ooo with the CO topically to see if that will speed the healing. I am still feeling my way with these flare ups, but I can see the severity lessening.
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Maria527
Stats: 135/121/115
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: August 12, 2008
I developed eczema about three years ago up under my eyebrows. Doctor gave me Cortisporin which worked as long as I used it, but as soon as I stopped it came back. I was only supposed to use it for 10 days because it is so strong, but I kept on using it until the tube was gone. Another doctor gave me hydrocortisone which did absolutely nothing. So I just picked up another tube of cortisporin today.

I started reading about eczema on the web and saw that it could be related to yeast. Then I KNEW my LC friends would know something about it! Seems every question I come up with, I can find the answer here on the message board!

I actually wondered about the coconut oil myself but hadn't tried it. And Oil of Oregano? This is very interesting. So glad I found this thread. Maybe I'll find relief after all this time.

I was getting concerned because the skin is becoming leathery looking and I'm afraid it will make me look old!
Maria527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hockeymom
Stats: 151/130/120
WOE: LC/WW
Start Date: Start ww 2/6/12 (original lc 2009)
Trying to start this thread again and see if anyone had any updates to their luck with ACV, Oil of Oregano, or Coconut oil for their eczema. My son suffers so bad from this and we're really looking for alternatives to the strong medicines and steriods.
hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hazelgreen
Stats: 283/233/180
WOE: General LowCarb/Atkins
Start Date: Restart again Dec 5, 2010
hockeymom, I have some psoriasis patches and have been using coconut oil topically on all kinds of problem areas of my body. One thing is really helps with, is itching.

Some of my psoriasis patches are going away, but I think it's partly just from staying lowcarb in my diet.
The coconut oil certainly doesn't hurt and it does help to a degree. I'm happy for any improvement.

Last summer I used ACV topically on the psoriasis and it helped too, but my family complained about the smell, and it is kind of a strong smell I don't care for it either.

I haven't been very good about taking these "medicines" orally though I do cook with Coconut oil on occasion.

One funny thing I noticed, was that I used coconut oil on my armpits for an itchy rash and found it has a deodorant effect too!!

My weight loss journal http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...b-journey.html
hazelgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Low carbing hasn't helped with my rosacea. In fact, I was a month without wheat and dairy and it was still bad. I'm going to try the CO topically to see if it improves. Also have a patch of eczema above my eyebrows.
It does seem better this week. Been drinking 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water (yuk), perhaps that is working?
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jumpingbean
Stats: 5'11"/135
WOE: Low carb/high fat
I have psoriasis of the nails on my feet and a tiny patch of psoriasis on my scalp. It definitely improves when I cut down on my carbs. Eliminating sugar and processed foods seems to be key. I also take anti-candida supplements and try to eat mostly organic food when possible.
jumpingbean is offline   Reply With Quote