LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
The Anti-Candida Protocol Starting Point

This thread is meant to pull all of the information that we have gathered into one place for quick reference for those just starting. I will add all of the links in another post. Please feel free to add additional information to this.

Please ask questions in a separate thread so this can be a summary only for those who don't have time to read the big thread yet.

I highly recommend that you read the "Let's talk.....Yeast/Candida thread. I know it is long, but there is so much good there!

The first thing you MUST realize is:

Every person is different and the severity of the infection is also different. Therefore your treatment will be different. YOu must listen to your body and act accordingly. This room is a place for support and information.

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I think the reason there are so many variables in the different sites allowances is because there are so many variables between people. Fighting candida is not about just following someone else exclusively, but taking the time to learn what is best for our bodies. Really listen to your body and make decisions based on your tolerances/intolerances. There are basic guidelines that all of those sites agree on, so those guidelines are just our starting place then we must figure out what works for our specific situation.[/COLOR]

With that said we know that many of the reputable sites agree that we should eliminate: grains, nuts, sugar, coffee, tea, starches, fungus, molds, vinegars (except ACV with the mother), fruits (to some degree or another). This is our starting point. We must then begin to see what will work for our individual circumstance. I think the best course of action is to think of battling this in stages.

Yeast likes: ANY bread, pasta, rice, cereal, fruit, sugars, starches, potatoes (these all have carbs that feed the yeast) they also love mushrooms, dairy products, vinegars (except for Braggs with the mother in it) products that contain vinegars like mustard and mayo. Nuts also have mold that feeds the yeast and compromise the immune system.

[COLOR="Red"]Four Steps to Overcoming Candida

* Step 1 – Eliminate foods that feed candida.
* Step 2 – Build up your immune system.
* Step 3 – Kill off candida overgrowth.
* Step 4 – Plant good bacteria in the digestive tract
[/COLOR]

Now you may have to actually back off of the protocol some if you are going to fast in order to lessen your die off symptoms. Don't let that discourage you! I had to do it for a while, and now I am doing great.

Remember: YMMV on many things please take it slowly and listen to your body to figure out what works for YOU!

The diet:
We low carbers have already rid our diets of most of the offending items, but we may need to let go of fruit, nuts, dairy, mushrooms, vinegars and their products, (except ACV with the mother) and low carb breads. Take this elimination step slowly too because as soon as you quit feeding those buggers you will have some symptoms that are not pleasant.

IF you are new to low carb, start with Atkins induction first and then work your way down from there.

Supplements:

The best site for good information is Bee's site located Here

You will find a wealth of information and good explanations about how yeast overgrowth affects your health, what yeast likes and why, and what foods are best to completely avoid until you have a handle on the problem. She also has a section on supplementation that is outstanding!

The most commonly recommended supplements are:

Coconut oil, Pau, d'arco tea, Apple cider Vinegar (with the mother) These can be started right away. Coconut oil should be a gradual addition starting with 1 tsp per day working your way up to 4-6 TBSP depending on your tolerance level. (Some of us can't eat much if we eat 5-6 tbsp per day)

Anti-fungals:
Oil of Oregano
Grapefruit seed extract
Olive leaf extract
Clove oil
crushed raw Garlic or garlic tablets

Rotate these every 7-14 days.

Probiotics: These should be the ones in the refridgerator section of your health food store.

L-Glutamine: This helps heal the gut after getting rid of the candida since many candida sufferers will have leaky gut as a result of the candida planting itself in the intestinal walls and creating microscopic holes that "leak". There are some other supplements that help with this too.

Drink lots of pure water. I drink distilled water that I put mineral drops in to reminerlize it. Tap water has chlorine and many other nasties that will hinder your efforts. Use a filter, Reverse osmosis is preferred. Put some fresh squeezed lemon in your water to help your liver detox.

Take hot baths in epsom salt to help you detox.

I am in the process of gathering all of the wonderful links posted in the other thread together to post here.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week

Last edited by LadyN; 12-28-2008 at 02:16 PM..
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Some great advise posted here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I lurk on this thread because I have some yeast concerns. Not everything that everyone tries is good for me and my body. If I'm feeling cruddy or need some advice, I stop here to find out if anyone has experienced my symptoms before and treated them naturally.

If you're looking for a scientific, black and white, prescribed solution to your health issues, you are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor.

Personal, natural health MAINTENANCE is a personal choice that involves a good deal of speculation, experimentation, and time. This thread should give you ideas of how to experiment with your own health, to your level of comfort. Keep in mind that most successful experiments follow similar rules (even the ones doctors do when they swab your tongue or prescribe a drug).

1. Don't change too many things at once or you won't know what's working/not working.
2. Stay consistent with your changes to maintain some sort of reliability in your results.
3. Honestly and objectively record your observations. If it doesn't work-write it down!
4. Continue the experiment for a sustained period of time before analyzing your data. (7-10 days, minimum)
5. Make an educated decision about whether to continue the treatment.

There's no magic pill, no guaranteed result, and no prescription for everybody. That's why we can't answer you. What works for me may not work for you, and even if I'm sure it would, I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

*Bump* Good info that we need to keep at the top!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
bumping to top for Tiffany
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #6

*bump*
Old 01-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

bumping for newbies!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

One thing I forgot to add to the foods to avoid list :

Chocolate
Old 01-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

One more thing. How do we ask the MOds to make a thread a sticky?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kathy_de_Alabama
Stats: 242/205/155
WOE: ZERO CARB
bumping to subscribe
Kathy_de_Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Savannah
Stats: 307.8/205/175
WOE: VSG 2/27/12 & low carb
Start Date: everyday
bump
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeanLioness
Stats: 250/205/130 (-45 since Feb)
WOE: PBP / Paleo combined with IF
Start Date: Last restart: 02/06/2011
I am subscribing too, trying to figure out if I have yeast problems or not.
LeanLioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

can we make this thread a sticky?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gleaner
Stats: 215/205/135
WOE: Very Low carb, Anti-Candida diet
Start Date: January 2010
BUMP

I'm bumping this thread up because I didn't see it on the main Candida board. I've been reading through the long thread for days and this is very helpful info for anyone that doesn't have time to read that whole thread. Thanks!
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Just to update those that are thinking of following Bee's plan...the initial post has link's to Bee's Candida Diet. I follow her yahoo group and she's taken out all anti-fungals from her diet except for coconut oil and garlic (normal use, nothing excessive). She says she hasn't updated her website yet but if she has talked about it in her posts. Her reasoning is that she's found them to be unneccesary. With a good high fat, mod protein, and low carb diet with her supplements and coconut oil, you'll be able to get candida under control. Also, she's taken probiotics out as well.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelhiBelli View Post
Just to update those that are thinking of following Bee's plan...the initial post has link's to Bee's Candida Diet. I follow her yahoo group and she's taken out all anti-fungals from her diet except for coconut oil and garlic (normal use, nothing excessive). She says she hasn't updated her website yet but if she has talked about it in her posts. Her reasoning is that she's found them to be unneccesary. With a good high fat, mod protein, and low carb diet with her supplements and coconut oil, you'll be able to get candida under control. Also, she's taken probiotics out as well.
wow that is very interesting! I wonder why she took out the probiotics? Off to do more investigating
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyN View Post
One thing I forgot to add to the foods to avoid list :

Chocolate
oh no, really?! you had me until that! even unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder? i am determnied to get rid of these buggers, so if that' what it takes i will do it, but i am not happy about it

i AM hppy that found this thread though. just started a candida cleanse protocol similar to what's rec. here. definitely will need some support. feeling so crappy already. it's like induction sick X 10...

will be coming back to read more tomorrow. love,
heather
lovelifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charcutier
Stats: 325/264.75/165
WOE: Atkins '72 Induction
Start Date: 1/1/11, Restart 8/27/12
Subbing...
Charcutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovelifemama
Stats: 150something/ 15 pounds to go!
WOE: Mostly Paleo
Start Date: 8/30/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcutier View Post
Subbing...
what is subbing?
lovelifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: notsooldbroad
Stats: 315/225/175
WOE: Atkins '72 then VLC
Start Date: long, long ago
Wow! I have loved cheese my entire life and I've had cravings and binges my entire life. Why couldn't I see a connection until now? I've eliminated all dairy now for about 2 weeks and I can not express how great I feel. Within the first few days I could tell a big difference. I've stopped all foods that feed candida and . . . well, just WOW!
notsooldbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shugaphix
Stats: 278/204/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2009
Die off?

I am positive I have candida overgrowth, the rash in skin folds, the nasty smell!! OMG! How do you know if you are in a "die off" state? What are the specific conditions? I hear it's nasty and uncomfortable, but what specifically do you look for/go through?

Thanks!!
Shugaphix is offline   Reply With Quote